Upside of young American players - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 09-04-2013, 02:56 PM   #16
country flag PTWahoo14

PTWahoo14 has a reputation beyond reputePTWahoo14 has a reputation beyond reputePTWahoo14 has a reputation beyond reputePTWahoo14 has a reputation beyond reputePTWahoo14 has a reputation beyond reputePTWahoo14 has a reputation beyond reputePTWahoo14 has a reputation beyond reputePTWahoo14 has a reputation beyond reputePTWahoo14 has a reputation beyond reputePTWahoo14 has a reputation beyond reputePTWahoo14 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Upside of young American players

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidbourbon View Post
I wrote Domijan off a long time ago. I have a better chance of knocking up Anna Kournikova than Domijan does of cracking the top 100.
That's how I feel about Novikov.

edit: but I wouldn't say you're wrong about Domijan either...

Last edited by PTWahoo14 : 09-04-2013 at 04:04 PM.
PTWahoo14 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2013, 03:02 PM   #17
country flag PTWahoo14

PTWahoo14 has a reputation beyond reputePTWahoo14 has a reputation beyond reputePTWahoo14 has a reputation beyond reputePTWahoo14 has a reputation beyond reputePTWahoo14 has a reputation beyond reputePTWahoo14 has a reputation beyond reputePTWahoo14 has a reputation beyond reputePTWahoo14 has a reputation beyond reputePTWahoo14 has a reputation beyond reputePTWahoo14 has a reputation beyond reputePTWahoo14 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SapELee View Post
Quote: Really, you think Keys and Hampton have what it takes to win a slam? Hampton’s 23, she’s barely in the Top 20 for the first time, that’s not a slam contender and Keys has all the weapons, but she moves like Lindsay Davenport. Even Stephens, who’s game I don’t like to watch, is a long shot for a slam.
So Tennis Prose is saying Keys moves like a 3 time grand slam winner and is citing that as a problem? okay...
Old 09-04-2013, 10:18 PM   #18
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

SapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTWahoo14 View Post
So Tennis Prose is saying Keys moves like a 3 time grand slam winner and is citing that as a problem? okay...
He is one of the writers there, probably the toughest critic of them all. He puts a lot of emphasis on footwork and movement, usually saying something along the line of "In this day and age, unless you’ve got incredible weapons, you can’t win without wheels". I have to agree with him. To compete at the highest level, you have to be very well rounded in today's game (consistency reigns over shot-making I'm afraid).

Twitter: https://twitter.com/ARhyneMoment
Youtube: youtube.com/SapELee485
SapELee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 10:22 PM   #19
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

SapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
That's how I feel about Novikov.

edit: but I wouldn't say you're wrong about Domijan either...
Wager anyone? Still can't figure out what to do with the virtual credits

Old 09-06-2013, 01:04 PM   #20
country flag PTWahoo14

Quote:
He is one of the writers there, probably the toughest critic of them all. He puts a lot of emphasis on footwork and movement, usually saying something along the line of "In this day and age, unless you’ve got incredible weapons, you can’t win without wheels". I have to agree with him. To compete at the highest level, you have to be very well rounded in today's game (consistency reigns over shot-making I'm afraid).
I definitely agree with the main point that footwork and movement is becoming a necessity. I just figure he could have chosen someone that at least didn't win multiple slams, including one only as far back as the year 2000.

Quote:
Wager anyone? Still can't figure out what to do with the virtual credits
Wager on Domijan or Novikov? Or both? lol
Old 09-06-2013, 09:25 PM   #21
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:

Wager on Domijan or Novikov? Or both? lol
Both, top 100 is manageable.

Since Novikov won't be going back to UCLA, Domijan should do the same to ensure equal footing between the two schools

Old 09-07-2013, 05:07 AM   #22
country flag PTWahoo14

Quote:
Both, top 100 is manageable.

Since Novikov won't be going back to UCLA, Domijan should do the same to ensure equal footing between the two schools
uhhh...NO!

I'd get murdered for saying this on the UVA Tennis board but I don't think Domijan will crack the top 100. His serve and ground strokes are huge but unless he can really improve his movement, footwork and maybe volleying then I don't think he can make it that high. He might get close though because there's no denying he has the weapons.

With Novikov I've been the biggest pessimist with his potential since his mediocre junior career (winning kzoo after half a season of very competitive college tennis and when he's about to turn 19, with no major junior standouts like jack sock to oppose him, just doesn't impress me). You can basically write off anything I ever say about him because I don't foresee myself being convinced that he'll make it. I'm hugely skeptical.... that being said, I have nothing against him as a person! I still wish him luck.
Old 09-07-2013, 02:47 PM   #23
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:

I'd get murdered for saying this on the UVA Tennis board but I don't think Domijan will crack the top 100. His serve and ground strokes are huge but unless he can really improve his movement, footwork and maybe volleying then I don't think he can make it that high. He might get close though because there's no denying he has the weapons.
Sometimes, a big serve and forehand can get you a ranking you don't deserve.

Quote:
With Novikov I've been the biggest pessimist with his potential since his mediocre junior career (winning kzoo after half a season of very competitive college tennis and when he's about to turn 19, with no major junior standouts like jack sock to oppose him, just doesn't impress me). You can basically write off anything I ever say about him because I don't foresee myself being convinced that he'll make it. I'm hugely skeptical.... that being said, I have nothing against him as a person! I still wish him luck.
Big guys tend to develop slower...Raonic didn't have an impressive junior resume. The biggest issue I have with Novikov is his inconsistency, but I think it will improve once he starts playing regularly on the pro circuit.

I find it interesting that both trained at Bollettieri as juniors. There seems to be a trend with Nick picking his students...usually are big and strong.

Last edited by SapELee : 09-07-2013 at 05:22 PM.
Old 09-07-2013, 03:24 PM   #24
country flag PTWahoo14

Quote:
Sometimes, a big serve and forehand can get you a ranking you don't deserved.

Big guys tend to develop slower...Raonic didn't have an impressive junior resume. The biggest issue I have with Novikov is his inconsistency, but I think it will improve once he starts playing regularly on the pro circuit.

I find it interesting that both trained at Bollettieri as juniors. There seems to be a trend with Nick picking his students...usually are big and strong.
True and True. Great points. I Should wait and see.

One thing I've always thought about Novikov was that his game would thrive at the higher levels than it did in juniors and college, and even in futures. It's almost like people hit too slow for him or gave him too much time, but then when he played in the Open, he could react more instinctively and swing freely. Perhaps that had more to do not having anything to lose, but maybe he likes faster paced play as well.
Old 09-07-2013, 05:27 PM   #25
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
True and True. Great points. I Should wait and see.

One thing I've always thought about Novikov was that his game would thrive at the higher levels than it did in juniors and college, and even in futures. It's almost like people hit too slow for him or gave him too much time, but then when he played in the Open, he could react more instinctively and swing freely. Perhaps that had more to do not having anything to lose, but maybe he likes faster paced play as well.

What is your opinion on Styslinger?

Old 09-09-2013, 07:58 AM   #26
country flag grkhetan

grkhetan has a reputation beyond reputegrkhetan has a reputation beyond reputegrkhetan has a reputation beyond reputegrkhetan has a reputation beyond reputegrkhetan has a reputation beyond reputegrkhetan has a reputation beyond reputegrkhetan has a reputation beyond reputegrkhetan has a reputation beyond reputegrkhetan has a reputation beyond reputegrkhetan has a reputation beyond reputegrkhetan has a reputation beyond repute

I was pretty impressed with Novikov, when I saw him beat Janowicz and have a pretty close 4-set match against Benneteau last year at the US Open (i watched parts of the match on TV, and thought Novikov had a real chance to win).

When he could do that when he was that young -- why wouldnt he able to do that later in his career?

I believe Novikov, if he becomes more consistent (as SapELee mentioned), can hit the top 50.
grkhetan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 01:07 PM   #27
country flag PTWahoo14

Quote:
What is your opinion on Styslinger?
Sorry for the late response. When you asked this I had yet to see him play so far this year. Judging on last year + his junior career, I never really expected much out of him in terms of pro career. He had an slightly above average serve for college, it's not blazing but it's pretty fast. His shots were all good, but not exactly spectacular. I did think his volleys were good for a first year, but nothing really made him stand out as a prospect.

After seeing him practice this year, it seems like he has leveled up quite a bit. The two times I saw him practice so far he was rallying/playing a match against our two strongest hitters (Domijan and Ryan Shane) and he was pretty much matching their power while still looking the most consistent of the three. He's got a really good all around game and his one hander is very solid. I don't really like his mechanics because it seems really stiff. For example, his forehand uses a lot of shoulder, and his right arm looks frozen into an unbent position on his one handed backhand. But it's really working for him at this point. I'd like to wait and see him play some matches with real pressure before I say any more, but I like where his game is headed.

Final note: Although he's looking good, I don't expect him to play higher than 3 this year. At this point, Domijan and Mitchell Frank are still our two best players until proven otherwise.
Old 09-25-2013, 01:13 PM   #28
country flag PTWahoo14

Quote:
Sometimes, a big serve and forehand can get you a ranking you don't deserve.

New line of thought on this big guy discussion. Big guys tend to develop slower, but the ones that do have a level of mobility and agility that the rest just don't have. Raonic, and even Isner, are a lot slimmer than Novikov and Domijan. IF, Novikov and Domijan can slim down a lot more, then they will have a chance to do damage and reach the top 100. I know Domijan has been working hard on that since he got to college because that's a big point that UVA's coach Boland focuses on with his big guys. To me, this is the key to helping with things like consistency. If I see major improvements from either of them in this field, I will jump on the optimistic side with regard to that person.
Old 09-25-2013, 11:02 PM   #29
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
New line of thought on this big guy discussion. Big guys tend to develop slower, but the ones that do have a level of mobility and agility that the rest just don't have. Raonic, and even Isner, are a lot slimmer than Novikov and Domijan. IF, Novikov and Domijan can slim down a lot more, then they will have a chance to do damage and reach the top 100. I know Domijan has been working hard on that since he got to college because that's a big point that UVA's coach Boland focuses on with his big guys. To me, this is the key to helping with things like consistency. If I see major improvements from either of them in this field, I will jump on the optimistic side with regard to that person.
Agree that fitness is important in today's game. I don't think movement is a major issue for Novikov; he is tall but not Isner tall.

Last edited by SapELee : 09-26-2013 at 12:07 AM.
Old 09-27-2013, 12:34 AM   #30
country flag shoparound

shoparound has a reputation beyond reputeshoparound has a reputation beyond reputeshoparound has a reputation beyond reputeshoparound has a reputation beyond reputeshoparound has a reputation beyond reputeshoparound has a reputation beyond reputeshoparound has a reputation beyond reputeshoparound has a reputation beyond reputeshoparound has a reputation beyond reputeshoparound has a reputation beyond reputeshoparound has a reputation beyond repute

Novikov definitely needs to work on a fitness. Not saying he's fat, but he can slim down, it would help him a ton.
shoparound is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote