Why are non Federer fans.... - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 03-27-2005, 07:54 AM   #1
country flag Federerhingis

Federerhingis has a reputation beyond reputeFedererhingis has a reputation beyond reputeFedererhingis has a reputation beyond reputeFedererhingis has a reputation beyond reputeFedererhingis has a reputation beyond reputeFedererhingis has a reputation beyond reputeFedererhingis has a reputation beyond reputeFedererhingis has a reputation beyond reputeFedererhingis has a reputation beyond reputeFedererhingis has a reputation beyond reputeFedererhingis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Why are non Federer fans....

So bitter, I mean whats wrong about posting about the best player in the world? Yeah I mean posting about every win he makes may be getting carried away a bit, but so what, whats so bad about gloating a bit, As long as you are not hating on another player its ok. Nonetheless I do believe its quite impressive and a good sign for Federer for beating Rochus so convingcingly, Rochus is a very tricky player, hes given Safin quite a few nightmares, hes got a very solid game even for his size hes quite a good player. Yes maybe Fed had an edge since he knew his ex doubles partners game quite well one would suppose but still a good sign for this tournie, at least I hope he makes at least the semis.
Federerhingis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2005, 09:23 PM   #2
country flag PaulieM

PaulieM has a reputation beyond reputePaulieM has a reputation beyond reputePaulieM has a reputation beyond reputePaulieM has a reputation beyond reputePaulieM has a reputation beyond reputePaulieM has a reputation beyond reputePaulieM has a reputation beyond reputePaulieM has a reputation beyond reputePaulieM has a reputation beyond reputePaulieM has a reputation beyond reputePaulieM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why are non Federer fans....

you read my mind, i posted this a little earlier in another thread.
hi
hope rogi does well tomorrow. i'm getting very frustrated with all the stupid people in this board that root against him no matter who he's playing even if it's not their fave. if it was their fave doing well they wouldn't complain. i know there's nothing that i can do about it but it frustrates me. some people are just being really mean spirited, it's not his fault that he is a wonderful player, and if he started to tank matches and stuff people would have tons to say about it. it seems he really can't win with some people, why can't they appreciate rogi and all the great things he's doing for tennis whew i just needed to vent a little bit. how is everyone doing around here?

ROGER FEDERER

GROSJEAN, HENMAN, MOYA, CORIA

ANCIC, BLAKE, LJUBICIC, CLEMENT, SANTORO, BAGHDATIS, MONFILS

F-LO, DENT, PHM, MULLER, STEPANEK, PHILIPPOUSSIS

Co-Founder and Proud Member of M.A.S.H.A

"If you even dream of beating me, you'd better wake up and apologize."-Muhammad Ali

My Blog!
PaulieM is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 09:54 PM   #3
country flag RogiFan88

RogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond repute

Considering how many Fed-haters there are in this forum, there certainly are a lot of threads about him in GM, mostly started by them, I may add!

What a joke... THEY are the ones w the obsession, NOT the Fed fans!!! Hee hee hee! They can't stop talking about him... just fun, mostly. Stay out of the vicious threads...

Más vale maña que fuerza -- proverbio español
"Pero, con todos mis respetos para Rafa, Federer tiene más talento." - Marat Safin
"Pero para mí el mejor es Roger Federer. / For me, the best is Roger Federer." - D. Nalbandian
"He's the best sportsman, I think, in the world. He has a lot of humble." - Rafael Nadal
"He's so charismatic." - Marcos Baghdatis
RogiFan88 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 10:57 PM   #4
country flag Sjengster

Sjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond repute

Overkill, it's as simple as that. A few too many Federer-Hewitt finals combined with gushing commentary have started to grate on people's nerves. It's an awkward situation because Federer didn't win the first Slam of the year, hence he has not had the best start to the year, and yet he's still the one consistently winning and dominating the tour while Safin is continuing to bomb out of tournaments he doesn't like playing. I think there will be fewer demands for Federer's head once we get onto clay, posters should be sensible enough to realise that there are more than enough players who can and will beat him on that surface without the need for any further encouragement.

It isn't helped when you get people like Dirk coming into the Federer-Henman prediction thread on GM and following up my post about the match with "Sjengster, why are you rooting for Tim when he has no chance to win this event?" That sums up all the arrogance and dismissal of other players that people are attributing to Federer fans, even though I agree that most of the objectionable comments come from bandwagon merchants and trolls rather than the truly committed Federer fans in this forum.

ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, I remember this one time when I went on a vacation on the Maldives. That was in the year 2001, I think. I went to this spa. I went to walk around with my girlfriend. I walk in, and we want to book a spa. This guy goes, "AHH, I remember you. You beat Sampras. I saw you on TV." That was like, really, how can you remember me? This guy has probably never been off his island and still knows me. I was a little bit shocked. Then I went to play tennis with him because he was actually the tennis teacher. It was nice.

Q. Were you naked at the time in the spa?

ROGER FEDERER: No. It was at the front desk. I didn't walk in naked.
Sjengster is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 12:12 AM   #5
country flag vene

vene has a reputation beyond reputevene has a reputation beyond reputevene has a reputation beyond reputevene has a reputation beyond reputevene has a reputation beyond reputevene has a reputation beyond reputevene has a reputation beyond reputevene has a reputation beyond reputevene has a reputation beyond reputevene has a reputation beyond reputevene has a reputation beyond repute

Anybody remember when there were 2 pages of posts about Roddick? - and there is less in his game to talk about- of course I am a Federer fan, so I am biased
ROGER - world #1!

Pete Sampras: 5 Favorite Players to Watch- Bjorn Borg. “He was a great athlete.”
Roger Federer. “For his smoothness.”
Rod Laver. “Had the complete package.”
John McEnroe. “A unique game.”
Ken Rosewall. “I loved the backhand.”

"For me, winners stay and losers go. I don't want to be one of those who loses" - Roger Federer, Wimbledon Champ 2003, 2004, 2005
vene is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 12:17 AM   #6
country flag Sjengster

Sjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond repute

Ah, but there IS a lot more to criticise in Roddick's game than in Federer's - and the old rule that it's harder to talk about something you like than something you don't certainly applies to MTF. Discussions on Federer's game will inevitably fall short after a while since there is so little that has to be improved (there is enough, mind you, if he's to achieve on clay what he has on faster surfaces), but treatises on the shortcomings of the Roddick game can last pages and pages, with some intelligent points being made amid the cheap shots and feeble trolling. That's why Federer threads end up complaining about his domination and Roddick threads end up critiquing his game - the negative always provides the talking point.

ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, I remember this one time when I went on a vacation on the Maldives. That was in the year 2001, I think. I went to this spa. I went to walk around with my girlfriend. I walk in, and we want to book a spa. This guy goes, "AHH, I remember you. You beat Sampras. I saw you on TV." That was like, really, how can you remember me? This guy has probably never been off his island and still knows me. I was a little bit shocked. Then I went to play tennis with him because he was actually the tennis teacher. It was nice.

Old 03-31-2005, 12:25 AM   #7
country flag RogiFan88

RogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjengster
Overkill, it's as simple as that. A few too many Federer-Hewitt finals combined with gushing commentary have started to grate on people's nerves. It's an awkward situation because Federer didn't win the first Slam of the year, hence he has not had the best start to the year, and yet he's still the one consistently winning and dominating the tour while Safin is continuing to bomb out of tournaments he doesn't like playing. I think there will be fewer demands for Federer's head once we get onto clay, posters should be sensible enough to realise that there are more than enough players who can and will beat him on that surface without the need for any further encouragement.

It isn't helped when you get people like Dirk coming into the Federer-Henman prediction thread on GM and following up my post about the match with "Sjengster, why are you rooting for Tim when he has no chance to win this event?" That sums up all the arrogance and dismissal of other players that people are attributing to Federer fans, even though I agree that most of the objectionable comments come from bandwagon merchants and trolls rather than the truly committed Federer fans in this forum.
Yes, Sjengst, I did see Dirk's post but not worth replying to it... well put, anyway! And you know I'm getting a bit bored seeing Rogi/Lleyt finals also... I almost feel sorry for Lleyt cos he does work so hard and try to win but without success... he's reached his peak I think [I feel the same way about Pandy too... no, actually, I think HE is digressing somewhat... ].

So, you'll be cheering for Timbledon and I'll cheer for Rogi tomorrow since I am cheated of coverage yet again Since Tim is one of the few guys who has a favourable h-t-h vs. Rogi, he can certainly win tomorrow. It all depends on Rogi I feel. And IF Rogi has to lose to someone, Tim is one of the few players I allow to beat Rogi [along w Marat, but he's already done that, Juanqui (in my dreams) and even Rafa!]...

That said, HOPP, ROGI!! A nice quick straight-sets win w not go amiss!

"Pero, con todos mis respetos para Rafa, Federer tiene más talento." - Marat Safin
"Pero para mí el mejor es Roger Federer. / For me, the best is Roger Federer." - D. Nalbandian
"He's the best sportsman, I think, in the world. He has a lot of humble." - Rafael Nadal
Old 03-31-2005, 12:37 AM   #8
country flag Sjengster

First and foremost I'm hoping for Henman to make it tight, I went into that US Open match last year with high hopes that he wasn't going to go down without a fight and when it became clear he had no chance of winning, I just wanted him to grab a set and keep Federer out there for a bit. Realistically, there are only two possible outcomes: Henman wins a close match or Federer wins easily. But, it's hard to say when we don't know for sure what respective levels the two of them are going to produce. The surface certainly favours Federer, even if it is a day match where the ball flies a bit more.

But hey, if Federer wins I'll still root for him during the rest of the tournament - especially if he's facing Miami Metronome Agassi in the semis.

Old 03-31-2005, 01:11 AM   #9
country flag vene

vene has a reputation beyond reputevene has a reputation beyond reputevene has a reputation beyond reputevene has a reputation beyond reputevene has a reputation beyond reputevene has a reputation beyond reputevene has a reputation beyond reputevene has a reputation beyond reputevene has a reputation beyond reputevene has a reputation beyond reputevene has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Ah, but there IS a lot more to criticise in Roddick's game than in Federer's - and the old rule that it's harder to talk about something you like than something you don't certainly applies to MTF. Discussions on Federer's game will inevitably fall short after a while since there is so little that has to be improved (there is enough, mind you, if he's to achieve on clay what he has on faster surfaces), but treatises on the shortcomings of the Roddick game can last pages and pages, with some intelligent points being made amid the cheap shots and feeble trolling. That's why Federer threads end up complaining about his domination and Roddick threads end up critiquing his game - the negative always provides the talking point.
I get your point, but like I said I am biased- I spend a lot of time on Roger stuff when I should be working . I could watch and read about Roger all day.
I also hope for a good match with Henman tomorrow. It could be a bit tight, Rogi has not been playing too well lately.
ROGER - world #1!

Pete Sampras: 5 Favorite Players to Watch- Bjorn Borg. “He was a great athlete.”
Roger Federer. “For his smoothness.”
Rod Laver. “Had the complete package.”
John McEnroe. “A unique game.”
Ken Rosewall. “I loved the backhand.”

"For me, winners stay and losers go. I don't want to be one of those who loses" - Roger Federer, Wimbledon Champ 2003, 2004, 2005
vene is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 02:27 AM   #10
country flag RogiFan88

Quote:
First and foremost I'm hoping for Henman to make it tight, I went into that US Open match last year with high hopes that he wasn't going to go down without a fight and when it became clear he had no chance of winning, I just wanted him to grab a set and keep Federer out there for a bit. Realistically, there are only two possible outcomes: Henman wins a close match or Federer wins easily. But, it's hard to say when we don't know for sure what respective levels the two of them are going to produce. The surface certainly favours Federer, even if it is a day match where the ball flies a bit more.

But hey, if Federer wins I'll still root for him during the rest of the tournament - especially if he's facing Miami Metronome Agassi in the semis.
The Miami Metronome... or just gnome!! and someone calls Rogi a machine...

Old 03-31-2005, 02:48 AM   #11
country flag SUKTUEN

SUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond repute

please be o Rogerr fans~~
SUKTUEN is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 06:22 AM   #12
country flag Mrs. B
MY BOY HAS 17 GRAND SLAMS

Mrs. B has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. B has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. B has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. B has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. B has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. B has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. B has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. B has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. B has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. B has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. B has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
bandwagon merchants and trolls

FRENCH KISS
Mrs. B is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 06:28 AM   #13
country flag Action Jackson
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
That is very true and there are so many bandwagon jumpers in this case. It's like they have been watching tennis for 10 mins and are instant experts.

People do become bored with domination though not if it was their favourite players. Arrogant fans are everywhere and there seems to be a few more on the Federer bandwagon than there used to be, that happens when there is more success.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 06:57 AM   #14
country flag Dirk

Dirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Ah come on Sjengster give me a break. You know that maybe I could have written it another way but it's the truth. I know you like both but just was wondering why you would pick someone who really has a slim chance to win it over someone you do like who has a great chance to win the event. Don't get so riled up by the truth. I didn't mean any harm in it. I am not a troll but just a very confident Federer fan. I've been the way for years.
Dirk is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 07:31 AM   #15
country flag Puschkin

Puschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond repute

I think there are two types of Federer-fans:

The first group which I'd rather call worshippers, like everthing he ever does and says. They call him cute, the best looking man on earth and other blablabla.

The second group consists of people who like Roger for his tennis which IS exceptional. This does not mean that all others are crap or that Roger is invincible, but it is a fact that he has been ahead of the rest for quite some time. Look at the stats, numbers don't lie. And he is not to blame for the fact that no other player can challenge him consistently (for the time being). As somebody says it brilliantly in his/her signature: Don't envy, compete.

And there may be people who fall into both groups .

I personally like Roger's tennis because he makes it look easy, this has been said often, nevertheless it remains a truth. Furthermore, it is a combination of elegance, power and a "sense" for the game which appeals to me more than pure power tennis or running down everything, but this a matter of taste.
Puschkin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote