Tennis Dominance - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 03-26-2005, 08:54 PM   #1
country flag deliveryman

deliveryman has a reputation beyond reputedeliveryman has a reputation beyond reputedeliveryman has a reputation beyond reputedeliveryman has a reputation beyond reputedeliveryman has a reputation beyond reputedeliveryman has a reputation beyond reputedeliveryman has a reputation beyond reputedeliveryman has a reputation beyond reputedeliveryman has a reputation beyond reputedeliveryman has a reputation beyond reputedeliveryman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Tennis Dominance

I know what you are all thinking right now: Oh no, not another Federer thread. Don’t worry I feel the same way, so bear with me here.

I’ve been browsing these forums for a while now, never bothering to register, as I usually keep to myself and hear what other people have to say. However, a few days ago I read something on this forum that sparked an interest, and felt the need to reply, or better yet, start a new thread.

There was a mini-discussion about how Federer is too dominant and is ruining the sport of Tennis. How, people will lose interest in Tennis if one person wins all the time, if there are no rivalries, if there aren’t any close matches for the finals, etc.

I possibly could not disagree anymore. Dominance by any person or team is what EVERY sport needs to excel, to intrigue the “outside world.” Need proof? Look at what Tiger Woods did for golf. Never before has golf been shown on prime time prior to Woods. Because of Tiger Woods, golf has more fans and viewers than ever before. Or Muhammad Ali, he revived boxing, a dying sport in the 60’s single handedly by simply, being dominant. The Boston Celtics of the 60’s or even the New York Yankees of today. People wanted to watch – because they were the best.

People want to see records broken. Remember the hype about Mark McGuire when he broke the homerun record a few years back? More recently when Barry Bonds broke Mark McGuire’s record and is closing in on Hank Aaron’s all-time record. People tuned in, just to specifically see these feats accomplished.

Not only do people want to see records broken, but everyone seems to cheer for the underdog, the little guy that could. As dominant as the New York Yankees are, how many of us tune in just to see them lose? When the Boston Redsox beat the Yankee’s from 3 games down; it was great. It is what sports need.

If Federer can continue the pace his is at (winning 3 Grand Slams a year), imagine the publicity the sport of Tennis will receive in a few years. His matches would be televised on major networks (not just ESPN), and Tennis would grow dramatically as a sport. If Federer can continue his pace, it will be the best thing that happened to Tennis in a long time.

Thanks for taking the time to hear me out.
deliveryman is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2005, 08:59 PM   #2
country flag loveit

loveit has a reputation beyond reputeloveit has a reputation beyond reputeloveit has a reputation beyond reputeloveit has a reputation beyond reputeloveit has a reputation beyond reputeloveit has a reputation beyond reputeloveit has a reputation beyond reputeloveit has a reputation beyond reputeloveit has a reputation beyond reputeloveit has a reputation beyond reputeloveit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tennis Dominance

Quote:
Originally Posted by deliveryman
I know what you are all thinking right now: Oh no, not another Federer thread. Don’t worry I feel the same way, so bear with me here.

I’ve been browsing these forums for a while now, never bothering to register, as I usually keep to myself and hear what other people have to say. However, a few days ago I read something on this forum that sparked an interest, and felt the need to reply, or better yet, start a new thread.

There was a mini-discussion about how Federer is too dominant and is ruining the sport of Tennis. How, people will lose interest in Tennis if one person wins all the time, if there are no rivalries, if there aren’t any close matches for the finals, etc.

I possibly could not disagree anymore. Dominance by any person or team is what EVERY sport needs to excel, to intrigue the “outside world.” Need proof? Look at what Tiger Woods did for golf. Never before has golf been shown on prime time prior to Woods. Because of Tiger Woods, golf has more fans and viewers than ever before. Or Muhammad Ali, he revived boxing, a dying sport in the 60’s single handedly by simply, being dominant. The Boston Celtics of the 60’s or even the New York Yankees of today. People wanted to watch – because they were the best.

People want to see records broken. Remember the hype about Mark McGuire when he broke the homerun record a few years back? More recently when Barry Bonds broke Mark McGuire’s record and is closing in on Hank Aaron’s all-time record. People tuned in, just to specifically see these feats accomplished.

Not only do people want to see records broken, but everyone seems to cheer for the underdog, the little guy that could. As dominant as the New York Yankees are, how many of us tune in just to see them lose? When the Boston Redsox beat the Yankee’s from 3 games down; it was great. It is what sports need.

If Federer can continue the pace his is at (winning 3 Grand Slams a year), imagine the publicity the sport of Tennis will receive in a few years. His matches would be televised on major networks (not just ESPN), and Tennis would grow dramatically as a sport. If Federer can continue his pace, it will be the best thing that happened to Tennis in a long time.

Thanks for taking the time to hear me out.

I couldn't agree more deliveryman. I am, however, an advid Federer fan and can't get enough of watching him play great tennis.
loveit is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 09:07 PM   #3
country flag ClaycourtaZzZz.

ClaycourtaZzZz. has a reputation beyond reputeClaycourtaZzZz. has a reputation beyond reputeClaycourtaZzZz. has a reputation beyond reputeClaycourtaZzZz. has a reputation beyond reputeClaycourtaZzZz. has a reputation beyond reputeClaycourtaZzZz. has a reputation beyond reputeClaycourtaZzZz. has a reputation beyond reputeClaycourtaZzZz. has a reputation beyond reputeClaycourtaZzZz. has a reputation beyond reputeClaycourtaZzZz. has a reputation beyond reputeClaycourtaZzZz. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveit
I couldn't agree more deliveryman. I am, however, an advid Federer fan and can't get enough of watching him play great tennis.
me too
great match against Olie

All youngsters

Murray Baghdatis Monfils JMDP Gasquet

Roger Federer, what an arrogant asshole.
ClaycourtaZzZz. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 09:11 PM   #4
country flag Chloe le Bopper

Chloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond repute

A Federer thread where somebody actually has something to say is cool. A Federer thread where all somebody has to say is "Fed beat Ulirach!" is less cool.

In that case, welcome aboard

I agree that Fed keeping a very high status in the game could be good for the sport. It would be better for the sport if there were some consistent rivals for him, however.

Chocking makes me sad.
Chloe le Bopper is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 09:17 PM   #5
bad gambler

nice write up deliveryman

but the beauty about sports dominance is that it always come to an end at some point - everyone thought tiger was going to dominate for 20 years when he burst into the scene, williams sisters would takeover the world, yankees took a fall last year and someone like schumacher has started shakily thus far in the F1 season

sure fed is dominating now but who know, in a year or so there could be someone new come into the scene to take his place
View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 09:20 PM   #6
country flag joske

joske has a reputation beyond reputejoske has a reputation beyond reputejoske has a reputation beyond reputejoske has a reputation beyond reputejoske has a reputation beyond reputejoske has a reputation beyond reputejoske has a reputation beyond reputejoske has a reputation beyond reputejoske has a reputation beyond reputejoske has a reputation beyond reputejoske has a reputation beyond repute

yup, all very true gambler... hope to see the situation change soon no hard feelings towards Roger tho (he's truly a great player)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Federer_Express
great match against Olie
Oli had bad luck tho, to come up against Roger in the second round already he deserved to get further oh well...

greets 2 my sweets @ Denaon's Place, The Spa & Roddickland

yes, as a matter of fact I am a fag..
and one who loves to touch homophobes' special area too, so mind your language

A N D Y J C
joske is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 09:20 PM   #7
country flag foul_dwimmerlaik

foul_dwimmerlaik has a reputation beyond reputefoul_dwimmerlaik has a reputation beyond reputefoul_dwimmerlaik has a reputation beyond reputefoul_dwimmerlaik has a reputation beyond reputefoul_dwimmerlaik has a reputation beyond reputefoul_dwimmerlaik has a reputation beyond reputefoul_dwimmerlaik has a reputation beyond reputefoul_dwimmerlaik has a reputation beyond reputefoul_dwimmerlaik has a reputation beyond reputefoul_dwimmerlaik has a reputation beyond reputefoul_dwimmerlaik has a reputation beyond repute

deliveryman, all that you say might be true, but it applies mostly to one part of the word - United States of America, or maybe, the Northern American continent. I don't have numbers to back me up and frankly am too lazy to search for them, but my personal impression is (and I've been watching and following tennis for roughly 10 years) that at least in Europe tennis as a sporting industry was doing just fine without Federer and would continue to progress even if Federer'd drop from the face of the Earth tomorrow (not that I wish any such thing).

Personally I think that no, domination by any player is not good for the sport then again I'm not a particular fan of Federer. If it was any of my faves making such amazing results, I'd no doubt be over the moon and not yapping about the predictability and boredom.
Old 03-26-2005, 09:38 PM   #8
Tennis Fool

Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond reputeTennis Fool has a reputation beyond reputeTennis Fool has a reputation beyond reputeTennis Fool has a reputation beyond reputeTennis Fool has a reputation beyond reputeTennis Fool has a reputation beyond reputeTennis Fool has a reputation beyond reputeTennis Fool has a reputation beyond reputeTennis Fool has a reputation beyond reputeTennis Fool has a reputation beyond reputeTennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Deliveryman:

Welcome to the board

The only argument I would raise to your post (and this is as devil's advocate) is that the stars you mention are all American. Federer is not--and with his quiet demeanor, is not the marketing star Madison Avenue would like.

Andy Roddick is much more of the would-be star, but he is quite failing at this right now, and so IMG is trying to get everyone to look at Donald Johnson.

Pete Sampras was the dominator in the 1990s, and he was not a marketing star, but still very popular among casual fans (notice that people who don't watch tennis now still refer to the days of Sampras, Agassi, Graf, and even Hingis).

What the advertisers really want is a brash star recalling the days of McEnroe and Connors. On the women's side, they are lucky to have a new blonde in Sharapova (although she isn't dominating which may become a hindrance) and a star with personality, Serena Williams.
Tennis Fool is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 09:41 PM   #9
tennischick

tennischick has a reputation beyond reputetennischick has a reputation beyond reputetennischick has a reputation beyond reputetennischick has a reputation beyond reputetennischick has a reputation beyond reputetennischick has a reputation beyond reputetennischick has a reputation beyond reputetennischick has a reputation beyond reputetennischick has a reputation beyond reputetennischick has a reputation beyond reputetennischick has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: Tennis Dominance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennis Fool
...Andy Roddick is much more of the would-be star, but he is quite failing at this right now, and so IMG is trying to get everyone to look at Donald Johnson.
who is Donald Johnson

deliveryman -- nice opening serve.

ANDY RODDICK: Motivation? No. I enjoy what I do. I enjoy what I do. You know, I've never been one to, you know, blow off practice or, you know, do anything like that.

You know, I'd be lying if I said I'm looking forward to practicing the next two days as opposed to playing here. That part is gonna suck...(2010 Aegon Championships)
tennischick is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 09:44 PM   #10
Tennis Fool

Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond reputeTennis Fool has a reputation beyond reputeTennis Fool has a reputation beyond reputeTennis Fool has a reputation beyond reputeTennis Fool has a reputation beyond reputeTennis Fool has a reputation beyond reputeTennis Fool has a reputation beyond reputeTennis Fool has a reputation beyond reputeTennis Fool has a reputation beyond reputeTennis Fool has a reputation beyond reputeTennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennischick
who is Donald Johnson

deliveryman -- nice opening serve.
I meant Donald Young
Old 03-26-2005, 09:47 PM   #11
country flag deliveryman

deliveryman has a reputation beyond reputedeliveryman has a reputation beyond reputedeliveryman has a reputation beyond reputedeliveryman has a reputation beyond reputedeliveryman has a reputation beyond reputedeliveryman has a reputation beyond reputedeliveryman has a reputation beyond reputedeliveryman has a reputation beyond reputedeliveryman has a reputation beyond reputedeliveryman has a reputation beyond reputedeliveryman has a reputation beyond repute

foul_dwimmerlaik,

You could be right, considering I know next to nothing about the tennis fanbase in Europe.

Though, what I said I was mostly referring to the Tennis fanbase in North America, seeing as how Tennis isn't one of the major sports overhere.
deliveryman is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 09:51 PM   #12
tennischick

tennischick has a reputation beyond reputetennischick has a reputation beyond reputetennischick has a reputation beyond reputetennischick has a reputation beyond reputetennischick has a reputation beyond reputetennischick has a reputation beyond reputetennischick has a reputation beyond reputetennischick has a reputation beyond reputetennischick has a reputation beyond reputetennischick has a reputation beyond reputetennischick has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: Tennis Dominance

Quote:
I meant Donald Young
i wonder how the Duck feels about the marketing machines implicitly giving up on him and going for the Williams Brother instead? (the Williams brand clearly having been shown to appeal to a broader range of demographcs).

ANDY RODDICK: Motivation? No. I enjoy what I do. I enjoy what I do. You know, I've never been one to, you know, blow off practice or, you know, do anything like that.

You know, I'd be lying if I said I'm looking forward to practicing the next two days as opposed to playing here. That part is gonna suck...(2010 Aegon Championships)
tennischick is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 09:59 PM   #13
country flag Billy Moonshine

Billy Moonshine has a reputation beyond reputeBilly Moonshine has a reputation beyond reputeBilly Moonshine has a reputation beyond reputeBilly Moonshine has a reputation beyond reputeBilly Moonshine has a reputation beyond reputeBilly Moonshine has a reputation beyond reputeBilly Moonshine has a reputation beyond reputeBilly Moonshine has a reputation beyond reputeBilly Moonshine has a reputation beyond reputeBilly Moonshine has a reputation beyond reputeBilly Moonshine has a reputation beyond repute

For me, domination is boring. I watch sport to see competiton. I don´t get anymore excited at seeing Federer lose because he normally wins.I get excited at seeing a great tennis match. I don´t want Federer to keep winning for years so that I can enjoy the occasional Safin OZ Open SF2005 victory. I want to see matches of this quality every grand slam.
Yeah, loads of people like watching records broken, but do you think they actually love the sport or just show up when something is newsworthy?
And one of the problems with tennis today is the way the tours and players are handled by the organisers and marketing men to get more viewers and more money. More viewers does not mean better quality. Tennis doesn´t need to become the biggest sport in the world. There is enough money in it already, it has enough fans, it even has it´s own TV channel. And the only good thing about tennis becoming a bigger sport is the money it raises for charity and other initiatives where tennis is taken to developing countries that are deprived of the joy of sport.
However, sport shouldn´t be about money. It should be about healthy competition. And right now there´s no competetion on the tour. At least Sampras had Agassi to keep him in check now and then.
Granted, it´s a lovely demonstration by Federer of excellence, and the first few times it was wonderful to see this talent, but it´s getting a little dull now. If you´re a tennis fan in Europe and an objective one, with no real preference but to see great tennis, then are you going to sit up all night to watch Federer massacre the second best player in the world? Unlikely.You might see sublime tennis, but drama, excitement, competition? No. You would definitely stay up to watch if this was likely though, because that´s probably what drew you to tennis anyway.
Some may argue that Federer´s brilliance means his opponents can´t play their games. I don´t agree. I think that the current tour is not as balanced as the years of Becker, Edberg, Courier, Chang, Agassi, Lendl. Even Stich gave more resistance to Sampras than Roddick or Hewitt give Federer. Right now many of the top ten have a lack of self belief about them, see some of Hewitt´s recent comments for proof. I could see his dominance lasting for a few more years, but maybe the next generation, trained with an eye on usurping him, might make things a little more interesting.

Last edited by Billy Moonshine : 03-26-2005 at 10:03 PM.
Billy Moonshine is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 10:03 PM   #14
Tennis Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennischick
i wonder how the Duck feels about the marketing machines implicitly giving up on him and going for the Williams Brother instead? (the Williams brand clearly having been shown to appeal to a broader range of demographcs).
Roddick just doesn't have that "something" to get the average fan interested in watching more tennis, even after doing SNL, and even Jay Leno a week ago.

I think James Blake appeals more to the casual fan, even though he is in "injury prone" era of his career.
Old 03-26-2005, 10:05 PM   #15
country flag PaulieM

PaulieM has a reputation beyond reputePaulieM has a reputation beyond reputePaulieM has a reputation beyond reputePaulieM has a reputation beyond reputePaulieM has a reputation beyond reputePaulieM has a reputation beyond reputePaulieM has a reputation beyond reputePaulieM has a reputation beyond reputePaulieM has a reputation beyond reputePaulieM has a reputation beyond reputePaulieM has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I think James Blake appeals more to the casual fan, even though he is in "injury prone" era of his career.
he's hot and sweet, how could anyone not love him!

ROGER FEDERER

GROSJEAN, HENMAN, MOYA, CORIA

ANCIC, BLAKE, LJUBICIC, CLEMENT, SANTORO, BAGHDATIS, MONFILS

F-LO, DENT, PHM, MULLER, STEPANEK, PHILIPPOUSSIS

Co-Founder and Proud Member of M.A.S.H.A

"If you even dream of beating me, you'd better wake up and apologize."-Muhammad Ali

My Blog!
PaulieM is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote