Interview with Juanqui! - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 03-23-2005, 09:20 AM   #1
country flag ~EMiLiTA~

~EMiLiTA~ has a reputation beyond repute~EMiLiTA~ has a reputation beyond repute~EMiLiTA~ has a reputation beyond repute~EMiLiTA~ has a reputation beyond repute~EMiLiTA~ has a reputation beyond repute~EMiLiTA~ has a reputation beyond repute~EMiLiTA~ has a reputation beyond repute~EMiLiTA~ has a reputation beyond repute~EMiLiTA~ has a reputation beyond repute~EMiLiTA~ has a reputation beyond repute~EMiLiTA~ has a reputation beyond repute
Post Interview with Juanqui!

this is an interview with JC on 9 March, just before IW. Lisa found it and so I translated it...the original spanish article is here http://www.as.com/articulo.html?d_da...chor=dasmasB00

"If they had called me, of course I would have gone"

He's had a tough time the last few months, but he returns with enthusiasm; with the necessary ambition to be number 1 again. If he'd been needed, he would have gone to Bratislava. And he fires a shot at those who deceived him and didn't tell him the truth in Seville: "With Arrese and Avendaño, things aren't what they used to be"

I see you're in good shape to compete in Indian Wells.
I'm very well and very excited. I've worked very hard the last few days, I'm playing well again and I've got my confidence back. The last match against Federer helped me realise that, if I play well, at his level, very soon I'll be back up there. And that gives me a lot of inspiration.

A winner like you must find it hard being 93 in the world.
Everything's gone very quickly. The chicken pox and the rib injury hindered my return and it was impossible to play at 100%. Last year I played in dribs and drabs and thinking about it now, I shouldn't have done it, but because I really wanted to come back, I was in too much of a hurry and problems arose.

And it's tough being so low.
Obviously I haven't enjoyed the situation, but the worst is over and you have to keep going. I'm looking forward to Indian Wells, Miami, Valencia...4 Masters series are coming up and I know that if I do well, I'll go up.

In 4 months we'll see you in the top 10?
That's too fast, but I'm going to try. I'll take it match by match. I'm not in a hurry. But before the end of the year I'll be very high. For sure.

And you'll be among the best.
Yes, I'm a winner and I'm going to fight very hard to be the number 1 in the world again. I hope I can do that very soon! In the last few months I've learnt heaps. Before, I didn't think much of being #3 or #4, nor did I think it was that important to lose a spot in the rankings.

Lots of things have been said about you: that you weren't training...
I've accepted everything that's been said about me, but I'm still the same. When you go through a slump, it always happens. The same thing happens to football players. Ronaldo was a disaster and wasn't running, but he got a great goal and he's the best again.

Have a lot of the things they've said about you hurt you?
Some yes, others I've pretty much ignored. Fortunately, this situation has helped me to know who are my real friends. The others are just along for the ride.

Were there many people along for the ride in your camp?
Some people. But the genuine ones haven't disappointed me. The others, whom I thought were close, I'm over them.

Can you take anything positive out of what's happened?
Yes, mentally I'm a lot stronger. Until this happened, everything had gone well for me and then suddenly, everything went bad. Now I appreciate everything much more.

Let's talk about the Davis Cup. Are you hurt but any of the things that happened in Seville last December?
It was a unique situation. First, I was going to play, and that's what the captains told me, but as a result of having a problem with my hand, they became hesitant and chose Rafa. I was very excited about playing, I'm disciplined and a very good friend of Rafa's, but they didn't explain it well.

You're referring to the fact that in Seville, the 3 captains didn't "distribute" the win well?
There were things I didn't like. They chose Rafa because he had done better; but if it hadn't been for that hand problem, I would have played. They should have said the truth and make the issue clear.

On the way back to Madrid from Seville, the 3 captains left you and Robredo out and were only concerned with Moyà and Nadal?
They were the main stars in the final but it's obvious that Tommy and I weren't the main stars. In 2000 it was the opposite.

Were you expecting Spain to lose 4-1 to Slovakia?
No. I knew the tie was going to be tough because of the surface they'd chosen, but a result like that is always surprising.

Should Nadal have played the first singles match?
I don't know. I can't say without seeing how he trained during the week. If they said he wasn't up to it, they obviously had their reasons.

Is it true that your coach said to Perlas, then one of the captains, that if they needed you, you were available to play in Bratislava?
Of course. The explanations are clear. I wanted to look after myself and get ready for Indian Wells, Miami...and I preferred not to go, but if they had asked me, and needed me, I would have gone. Sometimes you don't know what you're supposed to do because, if I'd said I wanted to go to Bratislava, they would have said "how are we going to select you when there are other players who are ranked higher?"

Avendaño said that in Bratislava, everyone lost.
I don't understand him and those statements don't make sense. I don't understand why he said them. And if he says that, he needs to include all the players.

You refer to Moyà?
Yes, to all the players.

Do you get on with those 2 captains?
There's always been a good atmosphere, but on the subject of the decisions made and what happened with Perlas, we're somewhat distanced.

Were you expecting that Perlas wouldn't continue?
No one was expecting it. The decision was sudden and I said to Pedro Muñoz that I wasn't happy that he hadn't consulted us at all.

Perlas should have continued?
I don't know. What I don't like is the reason they got rid of him and because the others can continue. It's not good that they've got rid of one without consulting us, and the other 2 are still there.

The others, as you say, (Arrese and Avendaño) have betrayed Perlas?
I don't know if they've betrayed him. I've always tried to get on well with them, but lately there's a lack of communication and things aren't what they used to be.

Arrese and Avendaño don't know how to treat all the super star players that there are in Spain?
They've always told us they were doing the best for the team.

In September, will you play the world group play-off tie?
Yes. I said I wasn't going to play this tie, not that I wasn't going to play for the whole year.

Should Arrese and Avendaño still lead the team?
All the players should decide that. At the moment they have a contract 'til the end of the year and then everything that's needed to be said will be said. There's a good atmosphere between all the players and to win more Davis Cups, you can't have problems within the team. The players are all friends with each other and between us there's no problem.

Javier Duarte will be named the new technical director of the Federation. How do you get on with him?
Very well. And he's a man that knows a lot about tennis and who can contribute lots of things.

Pedro Muñoz wants all the players to play the Spanish Championships and the Masters.
That's very tough and difficult. For some, it suits us to play it, and for others no. Wanting to pressure players like this is not the way to promote a good atmosphere.

Therefore there needs to be a discussion.
No. He has to think not all the players feel comfortable playing the Spanish Championships after Wimbledon and 3 weeks of competition. Each player has to make their own decision.

And Muñoz wants everyone to wear the same shirt.
As we all know, the brands are concerned with themselves, but it's possible to come to an agreement without problems. And if there is any brand that causes problems, let's forget it.

There won't be any problems getting along with Pedro Muñoz.
No, but you also can't go around making rules here and there. He's just come in and I can't say (i think they meant to write HE can't say) I want this this and this. He should consult the people, the players beforehand to come to an agreement and so that everyone is satisfied.

Spanish tennis doesn't need a dictator?
I don't think so. We've never had one and we've done fine. And I don't think Pedro Muñoz is a dictator but, man, he's just got in and said some things that need to be looked at and checked with by the players.

We've just won our second Davis Cup in 4 years and we're in troubled waters.
Well, everything will calm down. And I hope it works out.

Are you happy right now?
Yes, I'm with the people that love me. I just need to get a few good results and get a bit of confidence.

There are people that say you've slackened off too much and that you don't train like you used to.
The people that say that don't know me, nor do they know how I train. They should come to Villena and then they'll see how I work. I'm a professional and I've never at any stage let myself go.

Your next goals are...
To win Roland Garros, get far in Wimbledon and in the US Open and little by little go up in the rankings. If I'm calm, I'll achieve it.

And with Patricia, all well.
Very well. She's still studying advertising and, even though it's by the skin of her teeth, she's passing. Life's good. Wedding? Not at the moment. I'm not saying I won't marry her, but not now; she's still too young. Everything comes in its own time.
~EMiLiTA~ is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2005, 10:19 AM   #2
country flag Puschkin

Puschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Interview with Juanqui!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~EMiLiTA~
Quoting JCF
Last year I played in dribs and drabs and thinking about it now, I shouldn't have done it, but because I really wanted to come back, I was in too much of a hurry and problems arose.
Finally, he listened to me and I hope that these insights are sincere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~EMiLiTA~
quoting the article
There are people that say you've slackened off too much and that you don't train like you used to.
The people that say that don't know me, nor do they know how I train. They should come to Villena and then they'll see how I work. I'm a professional and I've never at any stage let myself go.
Well, maybe that was the mistake, one can also try too hard.

thanks Emilita and good luck, JCF!
Puschkin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 10:52 AM   #3
country flag plum_juice10

plum_juice10 has a reputation beyond reputeplum_juice10 has a reputation beyond reputeplum_juice10 has a reputation beyond reputeplum_juice10 has a reputation beyond reputeplum_juice10 has a reputation beyond reputeplum_juice10 has a reputation beyond reputeplum_juice10 has a reputation beyond reputeplum_juice10 has a reputation beyond reputeplum_juice10 has a reputation beyond reputeplum_juice10 has a reputation beyond reputeplum_juice10 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks fot the interview...its great!
plum_juice10 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 11:53 AM   #4
country flag savesthedizzle
#freeviktor

savesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the translation! It's a good interview.
savesthedizzle is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 02:03 PM   #5
country flag Blanco y Negro

Blanco y Negro has a reputation beyond reputeBlanco y Negro has a reputation beyond reputeBlanco y Negro has a reputation beyond reputeBlanco y Negro has a reputation beyond reputeBlanco y Negro has a reputation beyond reputeBlanco y Negro has a reputation beyond reputeBlanco y Negro has a reputation beyond reputeBlanco y Negro has a reputation beyond reputeBlanco y Negro has a reputation beyond reputeBlanco y Negro has a reputation beyond reputeBlanco y Negro has a reputation beyond repute

Em,

Thank you for that interview.

Vamos!
Blanco y Negro is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 02:03 PM   #6
country flag Blanco y Negro

Blanco y Negro has a reputation beyond reputeBlanco y Negro has a reputation beyond reputeBlanco y Negro has a reputation beyond reputeBlanco y Negro has a reputation beyond reputeBlanco y Negro has a reputation beyond reputeBlanco y Negro has a reputation beyond reputeBlanco y Negro has a reputation beyond reputeBlanco y Negro has a reputation beyond reputeBlanco y Negro has a reputation beyond reputeBlanco y Negro has a reputation beyond reputeBlanco y Negro has a reputation beyond repute

I hope he can back to the way he is used to playing.
Blanco y Negro is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 02:58 PM   #7
country flag Corinna

Corinna has a reputation beyond reputeCorinna has a reputation beyond reputeCorinna has a reputation beyond reputeCorinna has a reputation beyond reputeCorinna has a reputation beyond reputeCorinna has a reputation beyond reputeCorinna has a reputation beyond reputeCorinna has a reputation beyond reputeCorinna has a reputation beyond reputeCorinna has a reputation beyond reputeCorinna has a reputation beyond repute

thanks a lot for the interview and translating, em
Old 03-23-2005, 06:32 PM   #8
country flag Mount Goddess
Mounts Little Plaything

Mount Goddess has a reputation beyond reputeMount Goddess has a reputation beyond reputeMount Goddess has a reputation beyond reputeMount Goddess has a reputation beyond reputeMount Goddess has a reputation beyond reputeMount Goddess has a reputation beyond reputeMount Goddess has a reputation beyond reputeMount Goddess has a reputation beyond reputeMount Goddess has a reputation beyond reputeMount Goddess has a reputation beyond reputeMount Goddess has a reputation beyond repute

Great interview.
Ahh poor Patricia only passing her exams by the skin of her teeth! lol lol
Maybe she should try a bit harder
Mount Goddess is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 07:15 PM   #9
country flag Jogg

Jogg has a reputation beyond reputeJogg has a reputation beyond reputeJogg has a reputation beyond reputeJogg has a reputation beyond reputeJogg has a reputation beyond reputeJogg has a reputation beyond reputeJogg has a reputation beyond reputeJogg has a reputation beyond reputeJogg has a reputation beyond reputeJogg has a reputation beyond reputeJogg has a reputation beyond repute

thanks for the translation Em

Marat Safin Carlos Moya Feli Lopez Nando Verdasco Richie Gasquet

Robredo Guga Garcia-Lopez Ferrer Tomeu

Interviewer: It surprises people how well you get on with Nadal
Carlos Moya: I can't conceal that. I love him very much and I knew that one day he would be better than me. He's on another level.
Jogg is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 11:35 PM   #10
country flag liS@

liS@ has a reputation beyond reputeliS@ has a reputation beyond reputeliS@ has a reputation beyond reputeliS@ has a reputation beyond reputeliS@ has a reputation beyond reputeliS@ has a reputation beyond reputeliS@ has a reputation beyond reputeliS@ has a reputation beyond reputeliS@ has a reputation beyond reputeliS@ has a reputation beyond reputeliS@ has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~EMiLiTA
And with Patricia, all well.
Very well. She's still studying advertising and, even though it's by the skin of her teeth, she's passing. Life's good. Wedding? Not at the moment. I'm not saying I won't marry her, but not now; she's still too young. Everything comes in its own time.
Haha how he covered the "wedding" aspect without being asked. He knows it was coming.

Thanks a lot for the translation Emily!
liS@ is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 12:49 AM   #11
country flag hola

hola has a reputation beyond reputehola has a reputation beyond reputehola has a reputation beyond reputehola has a reputation beyond reputehola has a reputation beyond reputehola has a reputation beyond reputehola has a reputation beyond reputehola has a reputation beyond reputehola has a reputation beyond reputehola has a reputation beyond reputehola has a reputation beyond repute

Probably they just didn't listed all the questions they asked but only made topics.
hola is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 01:29 AM   #12
country flag Billabong

Billabong has a reputation beyond reputeBillabong has a reputation beyond reputeBillabong has a reputation beyond reputeBillabong has a reputation beyond reputeBillabong has a reputation beyond reputeBillabong has a reputation beyond reputeBillabong has a reputation beyond reputeBillabong has a reputation beyond reputeBillabong has a reputation beyond reputeBillabong has a reputation beyond reputeBillabong has a reputation beyond repute

He has so much a great personality! Thanks Emilita!

Roger Federer & Novak Djokovic

Tommy Haas - Viktor Troicki - Mikhail Youzhny - Lleyton Hewitt - Janko Tipsarevic - Stanislas Wawrinka - Grigor Dimitrov

Tennis Matches on DVDs Website
Billabong is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 03:34 AM   #13
country flag I♥PsY@Mus!c

I♥PsY@Mus!c has a reputation beyond reputeI♥PsY@Mus!c has a reputation beyond reputeI♥PsY@Mus!c has a reputation beyond reputeI♥PsY@Mus!c has a reputation beyond reputeI♥PsY@Mus!c has a reputation beyond reputeI♥PsY@Mus!c has a reputation beyond reputeI♥PsY@Mus!c has a reputation beyond reputeI♥PsY@Mus!c has a reputation beyond reputeI♥PsY@Mus!c has a reputation beyond reputeI♥PsY@Mus!c has a reputation beyond reputeI♥PsY@Mus!c has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you.

Cheer for: Ljubicic Gonzalez Murray Mahut Soderling Tipsarevic Mathieu Simon Muller Tsonga Berdych Kohlschreiber Wawrinka Acasuso Almagro O.Rochus Kiefer...
I♥PsY@Mus!c is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 04:51 AM   #14
country flag Duiz™

Duiz™ has a reputation beyond reputeDuiz™ has a reputation beyond reputeDuiz™ has a reputation beyond reputeDuiz™ has a reputation beyond reputeDuiz™ has a reputation beyond reputeDuiz™ has a reputation beyond reputeDuiz™ has a reputation beyond reputeDuiz™ has a reputation beyond reputeDuiz™ has a reputation beyond reputeDuiz™ has a reputation beyond reputeDuiz™ has a reputation beyond repute

Juan Carlos.. recuperate...
Duiz™ is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 07:13 AM   #15
country flag Lalitha

Lalitha has a reputation beyond reputeLalitha has a reputation beyond reputeLalitha has a reputation beyond reputeLalitha has a reputation beyond reputeLalitha has a reputation beyond reputeLalitha has a reputation beyond reputeLalitha has a reputation beyond reputeLalitha has a reputation beyond reputeLalitha has a reputation beyond reputeLalitha has a reputation beyond reputeLalitha has a reputation beyond repute

Nice interview! Thanks Emilita