Mens Tennis Forums banner

Nasdaq-100 Open, Miami, Florida, March 23-April 3, 2005

7K views 223 replies 20 participants last post by  suus21 
#1 · (Edited)
Andre Agassi to play Nasdaq

Andre Agassi apparently will be at the Nasdaq-100 Open on Key
Biscayne, despite having pulled out of the quarterfinals at Indian
Wells on Friday with an inflamed big toe.

An Agassi representative told Nasdaq officials Saturday to expect
Agassi's wife, Steffi Graf, and their two children Monday. There was
no indication whether Agassi will be with them or come to Key
Biscayne later.

The tournament begins Wednesday but because Agassi is a seeded
player and draws a first-round bye, he would not have to play until
Friday or Saturday. He was to have a second MRI Saturday.

#77 · (Edited)
Agassi Advance at Key Biscayne

Sat Mar 26,10:58 PM ET

By STEVEN WINE, AP Sports Writer

KEY BISCAYNE, Fla. -

Andre Agassi (news) returns the ball against Paul-Henri Mathieu (news) of France at the Nasdaq 100 Open in Key Biscayne, Fla., Saturday, March 26, 2005.

Six-time champion Andre Agassi beat Paul-Henri Mathieu 7-5, 6-4. The No. 9-seeded Agassi lost only three points on his first serve in his first match since he withdrew from the Pacific Life Open last week because of a sore left toe.

"I felt it a little bit early," Agassi said. "But when I pushed through it, it never got worse, and that was reassuring."

#78 ·
Schedule of Play for Monday, March 28, 2005

Stadium: 11:00 AM Start
Men's Singles: 3rd Round
1. Guillermo Coria (ARG) [4] vs. Taylor Dent (USA) [31]

Women's Singles: 4th Round
2. Shinobu Asagoe (JPN) [23] vs. Maria Sharapova (RUS) [2]

3. Andre Agassi (USA) [9] vs. Arnaud Clement (FRA) Q

Go, Andre! Win it!

#81 ·
World Sports - AFP

In 19th Key Biscayne appearance, Agassi looking ahead, not back

Sun Mar 27, 2:57 PM ET World Sports - AFP

MIAMI (AFP) - In his 19th straight appearance at the Key Biscayne ATP Masters Series tournament, Andre Agassi commands the affection of a legion of Florida fans, but for the eight-time Grand Slam champion, mere longevity is not enough.

"That would be one of many statistics that would make me go, 'Wow, I've been doing this a long time'," Agassi said. "Probably more old than proud."

But Agassi, 34, has done much more than show up over the years here. He owns six titles - the first coming 15 years ago in 1990 and the last three coming in a bunch, from 2001-2003.

He opened his 2005 bid with a 7-5, 6-4 victory over Paul-Henri Mathieu on Saturday night and said he was glad to get past the hard-hitting Frenchman and into the third round.

"He can come up with some great shots and certainly makes you feel the pressure to hit every ball exactly the way you want, or else he'll take advantage of anything you leave short," Agassi said of Mathieu. "It was a good one to get through."

Agassi says he believes he can remember every match he has played at Key Biscayne, starting with a five-set loss to Austrian Thomas Muster in 1987.

He recalls with satisfaction his victory over Stefan Edberg in the final in 1990 - when avenged his loss to Edberg in California the week before.

But as he looked forward to a third-round clash with another Frenchman, Arnaud Clement, Agassi said he couldn't allow himself the luxury of nostalgia.

"I try not to lose sight of keeping myself in position to be at my best, and a lot of that's mental," he said. "I don't allow myself too much luxury at this stage, because I'm trying to focus on being better than the guy I'm playing against.

"That being said," Agassi added, "there are a lot of times were nostalgia hits you. You see the same faces years later, and you realize that in between all these tennis matches life is happening."

The question of just how long Agassi will continue to squeeze his life in between tennis matches follows the American everywhere these days, but Agassi said the approach of his 35th birthday in April hasn't changed his attitude toward retirement.

"I understand why somebody's not playing at 35, it's not easy," he said. "But I still do it. I'm still out here trying to figure out how to get through these matches. I'm still thinking about the tennis when I'm out there, and that's a good thing."

#83 ·
Gigan said:
Schedule of Play for Monday, March 28, 2005

Stadium: 11:00 AM Start
1. Guillermo Coria (ARG) [4] vs. Taylor Dent (USA) [31]

Women's Singles: 4th Round
2. Shinobu Asagoe (JPN) [23] vs. Maria Sharapova (RUS) [2]

3. Andre Agassi (USA) [9] vs. Arnaud Clement (FRA) Q

Go, Andre! Win it!

Play Suspended, All plays..

What is the problem? Rain???

#94 ·
Match Statistics, first Set
Player 1 2 3
Andre Agassi 6
Arnaud Clement 2
Elapsed Time By Set 31 0

Statistics: Match • Set 1 • Set 2
Match Summary Agassi Clement
1st Serve % 52% 53%
Aces 7 0
Double Faults 2 0
Winning % - 1st Serve Pts. 12 of 15 = 80% 4 of 10 = 40%
Winning % - 2nd Serve Pts. 6 of 14 = 43% 2 of 9 = 22%
Winners (including service) 11 6
Unforced Errors 6 13
Break Point Conversions 3 of 3 = 100 % 1 of 2 = 50 %
Net Approaches 1 of 4 = 25 % 6 of 8 = 75 %
Total Points Won 31 17
Fastest Match Serve Speed 127 MPH 126 MPH
Average Match Serve Speed 115 MPH 106 MPH

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.