What style should i attempt to play - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 09-03-2014, 09:09 AM   #1
country flag AussieBrent

AussieBrent has a reputation beyond reputeAussieBrent has a reputation beyond reputeAussieBrent has a reputation beyond reputeAussieBrent has a reputation beyond reputeAussieBrent has a reputation beyond reputeAussieBrent has a reputation beyond reputeAussieBrent has a reputation beyond reputeAussieBrent has a reputation beyond reputeAussieBrent has a reputation beyond reputeAussieBrent has a reputation beyond reputeAussieBrent has a reputation beyond repute
Default What style should i attempt to play

Hi All,

I only started playing tennis last year at 33 I was previous footy player anyway I love tennis and am performing very well in doubles and starting to play more singles.

As alot of people have played tennis at a young age like i did with footy I don't have that benefit with tennis so I try to find there weakness and exploit that.

So a bit about me im only 176cm or so I am very quick amongst the court I can cover the court well as I sprint very quick and get to the ball, I try to play alot of volleys at the net as my reflexes are good and I can predict my opponents shots also I find this can make my opponents make errors and if I get lobbed I can usually run back to cover I'd rather win points this way than having a baseline rally with someone with more experience. I have a good forehand and good backhand slice my backhand topspin lacks. I mainly play on onticar and that fake grass type stuff. I only ever play best of 3 sets in singles.

Based on the information anyone think of a style I could research which might suit me as I don't have 15 years to learn the game like some people?

Thanks
AussieBrent is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2014, 01:28 AM   #2
country flag dunlopkickserve

dunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What style should i attempt to play

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieBrent View Post
Hi All,

I only started playing tennis last year at 33 I was previous footy player anyway I love tennis and am performing very well in doubles and starting to play more singles.

As alot of people have played tennis at a young age like i did with footy I don't have that benefit with tennis so I try to find there weakness and exploit that.

So a bit about me im only 176cm or so I am very quick amongst the court I can cover the court well as I sprint very quick and get to the ball, I try to play alot of volleys at the net as my reflexes are good and I can predict my opponents shots also I find this can make my opponents make errors and if I get lobbed I can usually run back to cover I'd rather win points this way than having a baseline rally with someone with more experience. I have a good forehand and good backhand slice my backhand topspin lacks. I mainly play on onticar and that fake grass type stuff. I only ever play best of 3 sets in singles.

Based on the information anyone think of a style I could research which might suit me as I don't have 15 years to learn the game like some people?

Thanks
Play a lot of S&V and Chip and charge.
dunlopkickserve is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 11:15 PM   #3
country flag Super Djoker

Super Djoker has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Djoker has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Djoker has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Djoker has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Djoker has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Djoker has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Djoker has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Djoker has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Djoker has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Djoker has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Djoker has a reputation beyond repute

Well I am 27 and I've been playing for about 5 years . I've gained a county ranking in the uk . Been to 3 club doubles finals ( 3 in the last 3 years) and also a small one that I won't count as that was played in the day. The one final me and my partner only got into the final like 5 hours ago . Best to play aggressive . If you like to play at net and are good at it then keep at it . Best to play on fast courts for this thought .
Super Djoker is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 04:57 PM   #4
country flag Imperator

Imperator has a reputation beyond reputeImperator has a reputation beyond reputeImperator has a reputation beyond reputeImperator has a reputation beyond reputeImperator has a reputation beyond reputeImperator has a reputation beyond reputeImperator has a reputation beyond reputeImperator has a reputation beyond reputeImperator has a reputation beyond reputeImperator has a reputation beyond reputeImperator has a reputation beyond repute

I think you should just try to improve everything you can in training and then you´ll see which playing style suits you best.
Imperator is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 02:47 PM   #5
country flag rexman

rexman has a reputation beyond reputerexman has a reputation beyond reputerexman has a reputation beyond reputerexman has a reputation beyond reputerexman has a reputation beyond reputerexman has a reputation beyond reputerexman has a reputation beyond reputerexman has a reputation beyond reputerexman has a reputation beyond reputerexman has a reputation beyond reputerexman has a reputation beyond repute

One thing to remember is that the vast majority of points lost at the club level are from errors (unforced or forced). For most club players, there's never a reason to aim for closer than half a meter or so from the lines.

Being aggressive and coming to net quickly is a good strategy these days because it's a bit unusual. A lot of recreational players are comfortable loading up the topspin and going at it from the baseline, but are not used to someone rushing the net after returning a weak second serve. If you can hit that slice deep to their backhand on the approach, you'll be in good shape against a lot of people, as it is tough to pull that ball down the line.

http://z3.invisionfree.com/Winter_season

Joing FMTA! http://www.menstennisforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=459
rexman is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote