Miami: The Fifth Slam? - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 03-21-2005, 07:06 AM   #16
country flag Action Jackson
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Miami: The Fifth Slam? (a non-Federer discussion :o )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger-No.1
128 players....

Or best 3 of 5 matches.....

They should work on that first, and then the Slam angle.

Will they get there?
No, they won't get there.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2005, 07:08 AM   #17
country flag Fee

Fee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond repute

No, its not the 5th slam. It may be the 5th biggest party on the tour (with the men and women in one place, the money, the city, etc, etc, etc), but its not a slam. Interesting to float the idea of having it on green clay, but if they did that, it would have to be a week or two after IW wouldn't it? To give people time to change surfaces?

@dougrobson - Whoever is supplying Mahut with hair gel needs to ink a sponsorship deal now.

@Wimbledon - FYI, with @Wimbledon live scoring devices, please add 50 to the games in the fifth set of the Isner v Mahut match.

@HolterMedia - Nice to see that a three-day test has come to tennis here @wimbledon.

Andy wearring Crocs, courtesy of Smitty8
Fee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 07:08 AM   #18
country flag Roger-No.1

Roger-No.1 has a reputation beyond reputeRoger-No.1 has a reputation beyond reputeRoger-No.1 has a reputation beyond reputeRoger-No.1 has a reputation beyond reputeRoger-No.1 has a reputation beyond reputeRoger-No.1 has a reputation beyond reputeRoger-No.1 has a reputation beyond reputeRoger-No.1 has a reputation beyond reputeRoger-No.1 has a reputation beyond reputeRoger-No.1 has a reputation beyond reputeRoger-No.1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeWHitler
No, they won't get there.

And I thought someone was going to come and say, yes, they will...

Roger Federer
Becker | Björn Borg | Edberg

Kiefer Moyá Ljubicic Schalken

Nalbandian Gaudio Kuerten

Grosjean Ancic Santoro Mayer
Roger-No.1 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 07:11 AM   #19
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennischick
crunch some numbers to support your point. but as long as most of the Spanish-speaking dudes show up in addition to Lbj, Mirnyi, Rogi, Knowles (my caribbean sweetie ) and Nestor, Safin, and Pavel, i will continue to believe that the world has been adequately represented
Numbers are absolutely useless the criteria that was shown to reach them has been explained and what purpose would it actually serve in this case?

Miami has never been the 5th Slam or ever will be, it's called marketing and someone as media-savvy as yourself would be aware of this.

I've already said TMC is the most prestigious event after the Slams and there are reasons for this.

Well if you have 96 players wouldn't there be a chance of having some international representation?

The rest of world which there is one when it comes to tennis doesn't buy any argument about the 5th Slam and yes I have been to the odd international event.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Old 03-21-2005, 07:11 AM   #20
country flag Roger-No.1

Roger-No.1 has a reputation beyond reputeRoger-No.1 has a reputation beyond reputeRoger-No.1 has a reputation beyond reputeRoger-No.1 has a reputation beyond reputeRoger-No.1 has a reputation beyond reputeRoger-No.1 has a reputation beyond reputeRoger-No.1 has a reputation beyond reputeRoger-No.1 has a reputation beyond reputeRoger-No.1 has a reputation beyond reputeRoger-No.1 has a reputation beyond reputeRoger-No.1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fee
No, its not the 5th slam. It may be the 5th biggest party on the tour (with the men and women in one place, the money, the city, etc, etc, etc), but its not a slam. Interesting to float the idea of having it on green clay, but if they did that, it would have to be a week or two after IW wouldn't it? To give people time to change surfaces?
Green clay.... Maybe one or two International Series between IW and Miami....

Roger Federer

Old 03-21-2005, 07:16 AM   #21
country flag Dirk

Dirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSilver
In my opnion, the fifth most important tournament in the world is Masters Cup, by far. In my point of view to have the eight best ones together makes it well more important than a normal masters series
exactly. more prize money than the slams and more ranking points than a master's event. This is the 5th largest tennis tournament. GWH is also right. Miami "the 5th slam" is just a marketing tool.
Dirk is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 07:24 AM   #22
tennischick

tennischick has a reputation beyond reputetennischick has a reputation beyond reputetennischick has a reputation beyond reputetennischick has a reputation beyond reputetennischick has a reputation beyond reputetennischick has a reputation beyond reputetennischick has a reputation beyond reputetennischick has a reputation beyond reputetennischick has a reputation beyond reputetennischick has a reputation beyond reputetennischick has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: Miami: The Fifth Slam? (a non-Federer discussion :o )

*TC interrupts brushing her teeth to respond to these bozos*

people!!! you can't define a Slam only by the # of enrolees. yes an official Slam consists of 128 players. but there are unofficial Slams with lesser #'s. but greater (or equal) representation. and tons of money. and terrific atmosphere! and a trophy worth holding aloft that doesn't resemble a fish! and which won't fall apart in your arms! i could go on! but i won't -- i have to go to sleep.

more defense of my position tomorrow. or whenever i get a moment to post

ANDY RODDICK: Motivation? No. I enjoy what I do. I enjoy what I do. You know, I've never been one to, you know, blow off practice or, you know, do anything like that.

You know, I'd be lying if I said I'm looking forward to practicing the next two days as opposed to playing here. That part is gonna suck...(2010 Aegon Championships)
tennischick is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 07:29 AM   #23
country flag Roger-No.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennischick
*TC interrupts brushing her teeth to respond to these bozos*

people!!! you can't define a Slam only by the # of enrolees. yes an official Slam consists of 128 players. but there are unofficial Slams with lesser #'s. but greater (or equal) representation. and tons of money. and terrific atmosphere! and a trophy worth holding aloft that doesn't resemble a fish! and which won't fall apart in your arms! i could go on! but i won't -- i have to go to sleep.

more defense of my position tomorrow. or whenever i get a moment to post
We need you here TC. you're trying to make an important point.

In a slam.... 5 set matches need more fitness... and you can have a player ranked 135 in the first round....

Maybe the atmosphere,and the trophy could help your case....

Roger Federer

Last edited by Roger-No.1 : 03-21-2005 at 07:35 AM.
Old 03-21-2005, 07:30 AM   #24
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

TC, the board awaits your passionate defences.

Quote:
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Old 03-21-2005, 07:35 AM   #25
country flag Roger-No.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeWHitler
TC, the board awaits your passionate defences.

That post is very funny, GWH

Maybe tomorow....

Roger Federer

Old 03-21-2005, 07:36 AM   #26
WyveN
Banned!

WyveN has a reputation beyond reputeWyveN has a reputation beyond reputeWyveN has a reputation beyond reputeWyveN has a reputation beyond reputeWyveN has a reputation beyond reputeWyveN has a reputation beyond reputeWyveN has a reputation beyond reputeWyveN has a reputation beyond reputeWyveN has a reputation beyond reputeWyveN has a reputation beyond reputeWyveN has a reputation beyond repute

What makes slams "slams" is that just about all players want to win them the most, I haven't heard players aiming to win Miami more then the other TMS and I don't really see a reason as to why it would be more prestigious then the other slams, as has been mentioned its a fairly new event.
Don't think intangibles such as draw size are what makes slams special.
WyveN is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 07:38 AM   #27
country flag Roger-No.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyveN
What makes slams "slams" is that just about all players want to win them the most, I haven't heard players aiming to win Miami more then the other TMS and I don't really see a reason as to why it would be more prestigious then the other slams, as has been mentioned its a fairly new event.
Don't think intangibles such as draw size are what makes slams special.
Slams are very old too, aren't they?

Roger Federer

Old 03-21-2005, 07:45 AM   #28
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger-No.1
Slams are very old too, aren't they?
That they are, but those are the 4 majors that the players need to peak for. I mean the Americans might win Miami more as it's a home event, but it's not the 5th Slam.

Quote:
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Old 03-21-2005, 07:50 AM   #29
country flag Dirk

Dirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond repute

TC I don't think Roger has broken one of his whale trophies yet. He broke his Milan one though.
Dirk is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 08:17 AM   #30
country flag Roger-No.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk
TC I don't think Roger has broken one of his whale trophies yet. He broke his Milan one though.
"The Pacific Life Open was a whale of a tournament....." CEO & Chairman, Pacific Life

Roger Federer

Last edited by Roger-No.1 : 03-21-2005 at 08:19 AM.