Ryan Harrison still doesn't get it - Page 4 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 08-06-2013, 03:11 AM   #46
country flag BroTree123

BroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ryan Harrison still doesn't get it

It's hard to play well when you're not talented. Can't blame him.
No words can describe me.
Without me, it would be just aweso.
No shit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTwEeZi View Post
Never held a racquet in my life.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTwEeZi View Post
I've played the game for close to 10 years. This should come as no surprise to many.

Banned Users
BroTree123 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2013, 03:25 AM   #47
country flag Nole Rules

Nole Rules has a reputation beyond reputeNole Rules has a reputation beyond reputeNole Rules has a reputation beyond reputeNole Rules has a reputation beyond reputeNole Rules has a reputation beyond reputeNole Rules has a reputation beyond reputeNole Rules has a reputation beyond reputeNole Rules has a reputation beyond reputeNole Rules has a reputation beyond reputeNole Rules has a reputation beyond reputeNole Rules has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroTree123 View Post
It's hard to play well when you're not talented. Can't blame him.
+1

Even a player like Monaco looks really talented in comparison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex999 View Post
You never know with Djokovic. He is as predictable as Calgary weather.
Nole Rules is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 03:33 AM   #48
country flag BackhandDTL

BackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by allpro View Post
now you're just being a smartass. i'm not involved in junior tennis development but base my observations on having followed the sport for quite some time. the program on ttc brought to mind other programs on promising juniors and tennis academies as well as conversations with local pros and a lengthy article i read several years ago regarding the shift in american training methods and techniques.

regarding roddick, i never said he had an orthodox style, but rather he was the result of a new teaching orthodoxy in america - big difference. is it just a coincidence that two of america's most visible prospects (and i'm sure scores of others whom we’ve never seen) have styles/techniques similar to roddick in many aspects? why is this? and do you really think independent contractors can go into elite tennis academies and teach whatever they want? don’t be ridiculous. ultimately, i go by what i see and the results tell me differently. as an american tennis pro, i can see why you’re being a bit defensive.
I never accused you of calling Roddick orthodox, genius. I alluded to the particularities of his strokes as a means to suggest that no academy would uniformly use them as an archetype for their junior development programs, contrary to what you've explicitly implied (now I'm being a smartass).

The commonality you do see in technique between he and any up-and-coming players is merely indicative of the fact that they're all products of modern teachings. The double-bend on the groundstrokes, the wrist snap through the ball for topspin and acceleration, the textile trophy position prior to the serve, etc. It's shit that's being done all across the world.

The US is doing nothing extraordinarily unique in terms of technical development. You think we're the only ones encouraging heavy forehands in the modern game? What sets us apart, for better or for worse, is our gradually shifting ideology (IE one-two punches), the likes of which, once again, did not originate within the last ten years, and has more to do with the heads of the Bollettieri Academy (which Andy was not even a product of) than any one player.

Moreover, I love that you admit to having no insight into the profession but insist on telling me what we do. While every facility undoubtedly has some set of principles they encourage their coaches to employ, the actual instruction still varies from coach to coach. Furthermore, the reach of said principles go as far as programs, not private lessons, which are entirely controlled by the independent contractors themselves and are often responsible for the bulk of a student's fundamental instruction.

So if what you're telling me is what you see then you should open your eyes more.

And I think it's great that I'm defensive simply because I'm holding you accountable for the wildly inaccurate generalizations you've spewed in this thread. In actuality, it just pains me to see people carelessly make such grand assertions.
Originally Posted by @Sweet Cleopatra View Post
Million times.. Your problem
I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want. If you're looking for attention, I can tell you I don't like you but what I do have are a very particular set of skills. Skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you stop posting that photo now, that will be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you. But if you don't, I will look for you, I will find you and I will terminate your MTF account.

Last edited by BackhandDTL : 08-06-2013 at 03:50 AM.
BackhandDTL is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 05:52 AM   #49
country flag allpro

allpro has a reputation beyond reputeallpro has a reputation beyond reputeallpro has a reputation beyond reputeallpro has a reputation beyond reputeallpro has a reputation beyond reputeallpro has a reputation beyond reputeallpro has a reputation beyond reputeallpro has a reputation beyond reputeallpro has a reputation beyond reputeallpro has a reputation beyond reputeallpro has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackhandDTL View Post
I never accused you of calling Roddick orthodox, genius. I alluded to the particularities of his strokes as a means to suggest that no academy would uniformly use them as an archetype for their junior development programs, contrary to what you've explicitly implied (now I'm being a smartass).

The commonality you do see in technique between he and any up-and-coming players is merely indicative of the fact that they're all products of modern teachings. The double-bend on the groundstrokes, the wrist snap through the ball for topspin and acceleration, the textile trophy position prior to the serve, etc. It's shit that's being done all across the world.

The US is doing nothing extraordinarily unique in terms of technical development. You think we're the only ones encouraging heavy forehands in the modern game? What sets us apart, for better or for worse, is our gradually shifting ideology (IE one-two punches), the likes of which, once again, did not originate within the last ten years, and has more to do with the heads of the Bollettieri Academy (which Andy was not even a product of) than any one player.

Moreover, I love that you admit to having no insight into the profession but insist on telling me what we do. While every facility undoubtedly has some set of principles they encourage their coaches to employ, the actual instruction still varies from coach to coach. Furthermore, the reach of said principles go as far as programs, not private lessons, which are entirely controlled by the independent contractors themselves and are often responsible for the bulk of a student's fundamental instruction.

So if what you're telling me is what you see then you should open your eyes more.

And I think it's great that I'm defensive simply because I'm holding you accountable for the wildly inaccurate generalizations you've spewed in this thread. In actuality, it just pains me to see people carelessly make such grand assertions.
lol, i was about to respond to each of your points paragraph by paragraph (a fool’s errand), but instead, let me make this very simple. i have no idea how you can say with absolute certainty that no tennis program in america would ever (or has ever) used roddick’s technique as an archetype when i’ve seen several instructors from top american tennis academies teach the exact same mechanics and expound on the superiority of those mechanics. we’ve all seen the results and if it's just the same "shit that's being done all around the world", then where are all the european and s. american players with similar styles? also, you seem to be taking this very personally so let me just clarify that i'm not making a blanket statement that all tennis academies in america teach the same techniques. btw, which academy do you work for?
allpro is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 11:28 AM   #50
country flag Forehander

Forehander has a reputation beyond reputeForehander has a reputation beyond reputeForehander has a reputation beyond reputeForehander has a reputation beyond reputeForehander has a reputation beyond reputeForehander has a reputation beyond reputeForehander has a reputation beyond reputeForehander has a reputation beyond reputeForehander has a reputation beyond reputeForehander has a reputation beyond reputeForehander has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Groove View Post
Harrison is very good, and has much talent.

His 1st serve is very fast, his 2nd serve is and can be mad clutch. His return absolutely needs improvement, he needs to drop a good ten pounds as well, I'd like to know his diet.

His forehand can be devastating and his backhand can be adequate. The problem is his tennis mind. Where are the tactics? Where is the strategy? Rushing the net like a blind man and getting passed like Roddick left and right, returning shots into the middle of the court to just allow the other guy to take the initiative, and of course, the mental breakdowns.

GOD I can't wait until my back is fully healed so I can show these clowns how to do this thing. For me, I used to be a racquet smasher, when I was in high school, I would have a graveyards of tennis racquets under my bed. Nowadays, I haven't smashed one in a very very long time. Probably because I have to pay for them with my own money.

Mentally, for me I used to be a massive hothead, but now I am calming myself down. After points, I like to express emotion, but not too much high or low. After a long rally, a great shot, a big vamos and a fist pump, but 3 seconds later, I am ready to go and focused entirely on the next point. After losing a shot, I'll utter a "Oi yoi yoi yoi yoi yoi, too much" and smile, and again, back ready to go. Or, "Oi! More spin, too flat" or something like that. I recall in my last match, I said, after missing a 2nd serve return: "Oh I got tight! Too close to the ball! 2nd serve return on break point! on the forehand!" and I smiled to myself and got ready for the next point. I ended up breaking serve in that game anyways.

Bottom line, you gotta get over the last point within 5 seconds. Say what you need to say or not say, and get it out and get ready for the next point. I was reading in Jimmy Connors book where he said he was not one of those players like Borg who can keep it all inside. He said he needed to release it, otherwise it will build up and he will play like shit.
lol what?
Old 08-06-2013, 11:47 AM   #51
country flag FlameOn

FlameOn has a reputation beyond reputeFlameOn has a reputation beyond reputeFlameOn has a reputation beyond reputeFlameOn has a reputation beyond reputeFlameOn has a reputation beyond reputeFlameOn has a reputation beyond reputeFlameOn has a reputation beyond reputeFlameOn has a reputation beyond reputeFlameOn has a reputation beyond reputeFlameOn has a reputation beyond reputeFlameOn has a reputation beyond repute

One thing I like in Harrison's game is his sometimes smacking of second serve returns. Trouble is, it's all pace with no angle. The pros can deflect the pace. It's a good idea but it needs a little extra. Can't just hit it hard up the middle.
Old 08-06-2013, 04:23 PM   #52
country flag jcempire

jcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond repute

He got great forehand but just waste his talent at most

And He never improve his backhand that's another big problem

Nadal Nadal Nadal
jcempire is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote