Ryan Harrison still doesn't get it - Page 3 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 08-05-2013, 02:07 PM   #31
country flag timafi

timafi has a reputation beyond reputetimafi has a reputation beyond reputetimafi has a reputation beyond reputetimafi has a reputation beyond reputetimafi has a reputation beyond reputetimafi has a reputation beyond reputetimafi has a reputation beyond reputetimafi has a reputation beyond reputetimafi has a reputation beyond reputetimafi has a reputation beyond reputetimafi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ryan Harrison still doesn't get it

I enjoy his childish tantrums as long as he loses

Inquiry Into I.R.S. Lapses Shows No Links to White House (DEC. 23, 2014): An 18-month congressional investigation into the Internal Revenue Service’s mistreatment of conservative political groups seeking tax exemptions failed to show coordination between agency officials and political operatives in the White House, according to a report released on Tuesday.Republican lawmakers, dismissing the Obama administration’s denials, have suggested that the delays were not only politically motivated but also orchestrated by the White House.
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/24/us...ouse.html?_r=0
timafi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2013, 03:35 PM   #32
country flag amierin
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

amierin has a reputation beyond reputeamierin has a reputation beyond reputeamierin has a reputation beyond reputeamierin has a reputation beyond reputeamierin has a reputation beyond reputeamierin has a reputation beyond reputeamierin has a reputation beyond reputeamierin has a reputation beyond reputeamierin has a reputation beyond reputeamierin has a reputation beyond reputeamierin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by delboy View Post
It will truly be the dark age of tennis if him or his brother ever make the top 10.
This.
amierin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 03:36 PM   #33
country flag dencod16

dencod16 has a reputation beyond reputedencod16 has a reputation beyond reputedencod16 has a reputation beyond reputedencod16 has a reputation beyond reputedencod16 has a reputation beyond reputedencod16 has a reputation beyond reputedencod16 has a reputation beyond reputedencod16 has a reputation beyond reputedencod16 has a reputation beyond reputedencod16 has a reputation beyond reputedencod16 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenidad View Post
Like fuck he does.

All he has is a serve, footspeed, and occasionally good volleys.

No return, no BH, an inconsistent FH that isn't able to dictate points against elite opponents, idiotic shot selection, no point construction, no intangibles, no ability to take the ball early.

And his first serve isn't even good enough to be a standalone carrier, like an Isner or a Karlovic.
He can actually return well, watch Isner match in Houston. His forehand is inconsistent but it is actually good, it can win him matches and lose him matches. His main problem is his point construction, he has 0.
dencod16 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 05:15 PM   #34
country flag Johnny Groove
Future ATP Star

Johnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond repute

Harrison is very good, and has much talent.

His 1st serve is very fast, his 2nd serve is and can be mad clutch. His return absolutely needs improvement, he needs to drop a good ten pounds as well, I'd like to know his diet.

His forehand can be devastating and his backhand can be adequate. The problem is his tennis mind. Where are the tactics? Where is the strategy? Rushing the net like a blind man and getting passed like Roddick left and right, returning shots into the middle of the court to just allow the other guy to take the initiative, and of course, the mental breakdowns.

GOD I can't wait until my back is fully healed so I can show these clowns how to do this thing. For me, I used to be a racquet smasher, when I was in high school, I would have a graveyards of tennis racquets under my bed. Nowadays, I haven't smashed one in a very very long time. Probably because I have to pay for them with my own money.

Mentally, for me I used to be a massive hothead, but now I am calming myself down. After points, I like to express emotion, but not too much high or low. After a long rally, a great shot, a big vamos and a fist pump, but 3 seconds later, I am ready to go and focused entirely on the next point. After losing a shot, I'll utter a "Oi yoi yoi yoi yoi yoi, too much" and smile, and again, back ready to go. Or, "Oi! More spin, too flat" or something like that. I recall in my last match, I said, after missing a 2nd serve return: "Oh I got tight! Too close to the ball! 2nd serve return on break point! on the forehand!" and I smiled to myself and got ready for the next point. I ended up breaking serve in that game anyways.

Bottom line, you gotta get over the last point within 5 seconds. Say what you need to say or not say, and get it out and get ready for the next point. I was reading in Jimmy Connors book where he said he was not one of those players like Borg who can keep it all inside. He said he needed to release it, otherwise it will build up and he will play like shit.
Originally Posted by Nathaliia View Post
What do you like doing on MTF most?
Reading Johnny Groove threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripwires View Post
Johnny blurs the line between grandeur and grandiose
Johnny Groove is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 05:22 PM   #35
country flag Sapeod
77 years later...

Sapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond repute

Usually, the only times tantrums ever help a player is with the Big 4, as it pumps them up. I don't mind players having tantrums as it can sometimes help you vent your frustrations that would just grow but sometimes you just need to calm down and focus.

SLAMS: 2 WINS, 5 finals, 7 semi-finals, 7 quarter-finals...
MASTERS: 9 WINS, 3 finals, 8 semi-finals, 18 quarter-finals...
WTF: 3 semi-finals...
OLYMPICS: 1 gold, 1 silver...
CAREER PRIZE MONEY: $33,359,256 (5th of all time)
MATCH WIN/LOSS: 481-151...
TITLES: 31 and counting...
Sapeod is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 06:47 PM   #36
country flag shoparound

shoparound has a reputation beyond reputeshoparound has a reputation beyond reputeshoparound has a reputation beyond reputeshoparound has a reputation beyond reputeshoparound has a reputation beyond reputeshoparound has a reputation beyond reputeshoparound has a reputation beyond reputeshoparound has a reputation beyond reputeshoparound has a reputation beyond reputeshoparound has a reputation beyond reputeshoparound has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucyfur View Post
Too much Roddick influence.
This ^^
worst thing to happen to american jrs
shoparound is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 08:45 PM   #37
country flag jcempire

jcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond repute

Stop compare Harrison to Roddick. Roddick is way way better than this mug

Borna Coric will be No 1 by May 2016
Nick Kyrgios will be No 1 by Jan 2016
jcempire is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 09:09 PM   #38
country flag allpro

allpro has a reputation beyond reputeallpro has a reputation beyond reputeallpro has a reputation beyond reputeallpro has a reputation beyond reputeallpro has a reputation beyond reputeallpro has a reputation beyond reputeallpro has a reputation beyond reputeallpro has a reputation beyond reputeallpro has a reputation beyond reputeallpro has a reputation beyond reputeallpro has a reputation beyond repute

tennis academies in america are training juniors to become roddick-clones instead of developing their own natural technique. i caught an episode of On Court with USPTA on the Tennis Channel just yesterday and some clown wearing a black wig was teaching a kid to serve exactly like roddick, damn his own natural tendencies. can't imagine what he'd have told a young borg or mcenroe about 'proper' technique.

Last edited by allpro : 08-05-2013 at 09:43 PM.
allpro is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 09:28 PM   #39
country flag Kat_YYZ
Registered Fed fan

Kat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by djokovicgonzalez View Post
They help him. If they help him, let him do it. Some players do better that way, though those who don't never seem to believe it. His regression is due to his strokes and fitness not evolving, not "attitude" and I find it a ridiculous assertion. Harrison is way stronger mentally than someone as robotic as can be, Delbonis, in the new generation of players. It is ludicrous to chalk up his failures to mentality- he is fairly clutch, actually, or at least was before his recent slump- rather than a poor backhand and no return, which are clearly the real problems. In fact, I think trying at the advice of the media to show less emotion contributed to his decline. Nothing the press says or does- not the ridiculous doping denials, not the fawning over the "big 4", not the lack of knowledge of any player outside the top 20- bothers me as much as their condemnation of any player with a personality.

This is the very reason I cannot be a Federer fan. He is a nice guy, the greatest player ever, and has a beautiful game. But he has bred two generations and a press that believe the only way to behave is like you possess no emotions and it is horribly sinful to express yourself on court in any manner.
you're probably one of those people who cheered on Amy Winehouse when she released "Rehab". Yeah, you tell them, girl. Be yourself, you don't need some lame 12-step program to turn you into a boring goody-two-shoes. What's she up to these days, anyways?

"Letting it out" is one thing, but Harrison's tantrums go on and on, indicating that he's sulking around feeling sorry for himself. Probably with thoughts like "everything's against me" "nothing is working" -- general negativity that is not going to lead you to play better in the match.
Old 08-05-2013, 09:48 PM   #40
country flag Burrow

Burrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Groove View Post
Harrison is very good, and has much talent.

His 1st serve is very fast, his 2nd serve is and can be mad clutch. His return absolutely needs improvement, he needs to drop a good ten pounds as well, I'd like to know his diet.

His forehand can be devastating and his backhand can be adequate. The problem is his tennis mind. Where are the tactics? Where is the strategy? Rushing the net like a blind man and getting passed like Roddick left and right, returning shots into the middle of the court to just allow the other guy to take the initiative, and of course, the mental breakdowns.

GOD I can't wait until my back is fully healed so I can show these clowns how to do this thing. For me, I used to be a racquet smasher, when I was in high school, I would have a graveyards of tennis racquets under my bed. Nowadays, I haven't smashed one in a very very long time. Probably because I have to pay for them with my own money.

Mentally, for me I used to be a massive hothead, but now I am calming myself down. After points, I like to express emotion, but not too much high or low. After a long rally, a great shot, a big vamos and a fist pump, but 3 seconds later, I am ready to go and focused entirely on the next point. After losing a shot, I'll utter a "Oi yoi yoi yoi yoi yoi, too much" and smile, and again, back ready to go. Or, "Oi! More spin, too flat" or something like that. I recall in my last match, I said, after missing a 2nd serve return: "Oh I got tight! Too close to the ball! 2nd serve return on break point! on the forehand!" and I smiled to myself and got ready for the next point. I ended up breaking serve in that game anyways.

Bottom line, you gotta get over the last point within 5 seconds. Say what you need to say or not say, and get it out and get ready for the next point. I was reading in Jimmy Connors book where he said he was not one of those players like Borg who can keep it all inside. He said he needed to release it, otherwise it will build up and he will play like shit.
Burrow is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 12:21 AM   #41
country flag paseo

paseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond repute

He's just not good enough.
paseo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 01:55 AM   #42
country flag BackhandDTL

BackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by allpro View Post
tennis academies in america are training juniors to become roddick-clones instead of developing their own natural technique. i caught an episode of On Court with USPTA on the Tennis Channel just yesterday and some clown wearing a black wig was teaching a kid to serve exactly like roddick, damn his own natural tendencies. can't imagine what he'd have told a young borg or mcenroe about 'proper' technique.
No, we don't.

Way to base this all on one observation.

FYI, Roddick was far from anything orthodox, or "textbook", himself.
Originally Posted by @Sweet Cleopatra View Post
Million times.. Your problem
I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want. If you're looking for attention, I can tell you I don't like you but what I do have are a very particular set of skills. Skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you stop posting that photo now, that will be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you. But if you don't, I will look for you, I will find you and I will terminate your MTF account.
BackhandDTL is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 02:08 AM   #43
country flag allpro

allpro has a reputation beyond reputeallpro has a reputation beyond reputeallpro has a reputation beyond reputeallpro has a reputation beyond reputeallpro has a reputation beyond reputeallpro has a reputation beyond reputeallpro has a reputation beyond reputeallpro has a reputation beyond reputeallpro has a reputation beyond reputeallpro has a reputation beyond reputeallpro has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackhandDTL View Post
No, we don't.

Way to base this all on one observation.

FYI, Roddick was far from anything orthodox, or "textbook", himself.
yes we do. roddick's service motion, fh, and bh are taught as the new orthodoxy in many tennis academies. harrison and sock are just the most visible products of this school.
Old 08-06-2013, 02:58 AM   #44
country flag BackhandDTL

BackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by allpro View Post
yes we do. roddick's service motion, fh, and bh are taught as the new orthodoxy in many tennis academies. harrison and sock are just the most visible products of this school.

I work at one of the biggest academies in So. Cal., which I also trained at as a Junior. By extension of both of those facts, I've experienced or visited many of the facilities and programs around the region as a player and now as a coach.

There are no banners of Andy Roddick hanging up. There are no bibles of his game lying around. No part of any facility's curriculum has an "Andy Roddick class" offered, and no club prides itself on producing the next one.

It might also interest you to know that most places enlist pros as independent contractors, meaning many coaches, bar some principle oversight and regardless of any USPTA affiliation, are responsible for and free to coach Juniors to their individual preference.

Moreover, and once more, Andy Roddick has never had an orthodox game. His serve and forehand, while respected, have never been considered exemplary, while his backhand has been openly criticized by commentators for year, many of whom have a hand in some of the best facilities around the world. Besides that, he is hardly the premier proprietor for the big serve, big forehand archetype you're presumably alluding to, as you can look back even to one Jim Courier as a weapon-oriented champion.

In short, you have no idea what you're talking about.
Originally Posted by @Sweet Cleopatra View Post
Million times.. Your problem
I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want. If you're looking for attention, I can tell you I don't like you but what I do have are a very particular set of skills. Skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you stop posting that photo now, that will be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you. But if you don't, I will look for you, I will find you and I will terminate your MTF account.
BackhandDTL is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 04:02 AM   #45
country flag allpro

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackhandDTL View Post

I work at one of the biggest academies in So. Cal., which I also trained at as a Junior. By extension of both of those facts, I've experienced or visited many of the facilities and programs around the region as a player and now as a coach.

There are no banners of Andy Roddick hanging up. There are no bibles of his game lying around. No part of any facility's curriculum has an "Andy Roddick class" offered, and no club prides itself on producing the next one.

It might also interest you to know that most places enlist pros as independent contractors, meaning many coaches, bar some principle oversight and regardless of any USPTA affiliation, are responsible for and free to coach Juniors to their individual preference.

Moreover, and once more, Andy Roddick has never had an orthodox game. His serve and forehand, while respected, have never been considered exemplary, while his backhand has been openly criticized by commentators for year, many of whom have a hand in some of the best facilities around the world. Besides that, he is hardly the premier proprietor for the big serve, big forehand archetype you're presumably alluding to, as you can look back even to one Jim Courier as a weapon-oriented champion.

In short, you have no idea what you're talking about.
now you're just being a smartass. i'm not involved in junior tennis development but base my observations on having followed the sport for quite some time. the program on ttc brought to mind other programs on promising juniors and tennis academies as well as conversations with local pros and a lengthy article i read several years ago regarding the shift in american training methods and techniques.

regarding roddick, i never said he had an orthodox style, but rather he was the result of a new teaching orthodoxy in america - big difference. is it just a coincidence that two of america's most visible prospects (and i'm sure scores of others whom we’ve never seen) have styles/techniques similar to roddick in many aspects? why is this? and do you really think independent contractors can go into elite tennis academies and teach whatever they want? don’t be ridiculous. ultimately, i go by what i see and the results tell me differently. as an american tennis pro, i can see why you’re being a bit defensive.