Ryan Harrison still doesn't get it - Page 3 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Reply

Old 08-05-2013, 01:07 PM   #31
country flag timafi
Registered User
 
timafi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 4,343
timafi has a reputation beyond reputetimafi has a reputation beyond reputetimafi has a reputation beyond reputetimafi has a reputation beyond reputetimafi has a reputation beyond reputetimafi has a reputation beyond reputetimafi has a reputation beyond reputetimafi has a reputation beyond reputetimafi has a reputation beyond reputetimafi has a reputation beyond reputetimafi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ryan Harrison still doesn't get it

I enjoy his childish tantrums as long as he loses
__________________
<<<(Republicans in Texas be like)Texas GOP leaders despise the Big evil Feds, yell about fighting off our military (Jade Helm Conspiracy Theory), until they come begging for Obama aid for the floods despite voting FOR cuts.The folks who are less fortunate in these situations are in the rural towns run by conservatives who don't believe in functioning government.Bless their hearts, but they keep voting for idiots who don't have their best interests in mind and they're reaping the consequences of their own racism/ignorance http://gawker.com/5973255/here-are-t...y-relief-funds
timafi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 

Old 08-05-2013, 02:35 PM   #32
country flag amierin
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
amierin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,548
amierin has a reputation beyond reputeamierin has a reputation beyond reputeamierin has a reputation beyond reputeamierin has a reputation beyond reputeamierin has a reputation beyond reputeamierin has a reputation beyond reputeamierin has a reputation beyond reputeamierin has a reputation beyond reputeamierin has a reputation beyond reputeamierin has a reputation beyond reputeamierin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ryan Harrison still doesn't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by delboy View Post
It will truly be the dark age of tennis if him or his brother ever make the top 10.
This.
amierin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 02:36 PM   #33
country flag dencod16
Registered User
 
dencod16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 5,749
dencod16 has a reputation beyond reputedencod16 has a reputation beyond reputedencod16 has a reputation beyond reputedencod16 has a reputation beyond reputedencod16 has a reputation beyond reputedencod16 has a reputation beyond reputedencod16 has a reputation beyond reputedencod16 has a reputation beyond reputedencod16 has a reputation beyond reputedencod16 has a reputation beyond reputedencod16 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ryan Harrison still doesn't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenidad View Post
Like fuck he does.

All he has is a serve, footspeed, and occasionally good volleys.

No return, no BH, an inconsistent FH that isn't able to dictate points against elite opponents, idiotic shot selection, no point construction, no intangibles, no ability to take the ball early.

And his first serve isn't even good enough to be a standalone carrier, like an Isner or a Karlovic.
He can actually return well, watch Isner match in Houston. His forehand is inconsistent but it is actually good, it can win him matches and lose him matches. His main problem is his point construction, he has 0.
dencod16 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 04:15 PM   #34
country flag Johnny Groove
When You're On The Poster
 
Johnny Groove's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: South Florida
Age: 25
Posts: 39,113
Johnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ryan Harrison still doesn't get it

Harrison is very good, and has much talent.

His 1st serve is very fast, his 2nd serve is and can be mad clutch. His return absolutely needs improvement, he needs to drop a good ten pounds as well, I'd like to know his diet.

His forehand can be devastating and his backhand can be adequate. The problem is his tennis mind. Where are the tactics? Where is the strategy? Rushing the net like a blind man and getting passed like Roddick left and right, returning shots into the middle of the court to just allow the other guy to take the initiative, and of course, the mental breakdowns.

GOD I can't wait until my back is fully healed so I can show these clowns how to do this thing. For me, I used to be a racquet smasher, when I was in high school, I would have a graveyards of tennis racquets under my bed. Nowadays, I haven't smashed one in a very very long time. Probably because I have to pay for them with my own money.

Mentally, for me I used to be a massive hothead, but now I am calming myself down. After points, I like to express emotion, but not too much high or low. After a long rally, a great shot, a big vamos and a fist pump, but 3 seconds later, I am ready to go and focused entirely on the next point. After losing a shot, I'll utter a "Oi yoi yoi yoi yoi yoi, too much" and smile, and again, back ready to go. Or, "Oi! More spin, too flat" or something like that. I recall in my last match, I said, after missing a 2nd serve return: "Oh I got tight! Too close to the ball! 2nd serve return on break point! on the forehand!" and I smiled to myself and got ready for the next point. I ended up breaking serve in that game anyways.

Bottom line, you gotta get over the last point within 5 seconds. Say what you need to say or not say, and get it out and get ready for the next point. I was reading in Jimmy Connors book where he said he was not one of those players like Borg who can keep it all inside. He said he needed to release it, otherwise it will build up and he will play like shit.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathaliia View Post
What do you like doing on MTF most?
Reading Johnny Groove threads.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripwires View Post
Johnny blurs the line between grandeur and grandiose
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humphrey Bogart
The only thing you owe the public is a good performance
Johnny Groove is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 04:22 PM   #35
country flag Sapeod
Grassray to Hardcourtray
 
Sapeod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Age: 20
Posts: 39,032
Sapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ryan Harrison still doesn't get it

Usually, the only times tantrums ever help a player is with the Big 4, as it pumps them up. I don't mind players having tantrums as it can sometimes help you vent your frustrations that would just grow but sometimes you just need to calm down and focus.
__________________
ANDY MURRAY
WIMBLEDON & US OPEN SLAM CHAMPION!!


SLAMS: 2 WINS, 6 finals, 9 semi-finals, 7 quarter-finals...
MASTERS: 10 WINS, 4 finals, 9 semi-finals, 18 quarter-finals...
WTF: 3 semi-finals...
OLYMPICS: 1 gold, 1 silver...
CAREER PRIZE MONEY: $38,925,950 (5th of all time)
MATCH WIN/LOSS: 529-158...
TITLES: 34 and counting...
Sapeod is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 05:47 PM   #36
country flag shoparound
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Age: 26
Posts: 62
shoparound has a reputation beyond reputeshoparound has a reputation beyond reputeshoparound has a reputation beyond reputeshoparound has a reputation beyond reputeshoparound has a reputation beyond reputeshoparound has a reputation beyond reputeshoparound has a reputation beyond reputeshoparound has a reputation beyond reputeshoparound has a reputation beyond reputeshoparound has a reputation beyond reputeshoparound has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ryan Harrison still doesn't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucyfur View Post
Too much Roddick influence.
This ^^
worst thing to happen to american jrs
shoparound is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 07:45 PM   #37
country flag jcempire
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Age: 33
Posts: 9,246
jcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ryan Harrison still doesn't get it

Stop compare Harrison to Roddick. Roddick is way way better than this mug
__________________
GO Roger Federer, Nick Kyrgios, Borna Coric, Vasek Pospisil, Thomaz Bellucci, Kei Nishikori, , Milos Raonic, Jerzy Janowicz, Grigor Dimitrov, Dennis Novikov and Bernard Tomic

Borna Coric will be No 1 by May 2016
Nick Kyrgios will be No 1 by Jan 2016
jcempire is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 08:09 PM   #38
country flag allpro
Registered User
 
allpro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 3,145
allpro has a reputation beyond reputeallpro has a reputation beyond reputeallpro has a reputation beyond reputeallpro has a reputation beyond reputeallpro has a reputation beyond reputeallpro has a reputation beyond reputeallpro has a reputation beyond reputeallpro has a reputation beyond reputeallpro has a reputation beyond reputeallpro has a reputation beyond reputeallpro has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ryan Harrison still doesn't get it

tennis academies in america are training juniors to become roddick-clones instead of developing their own natural technique. i caught an episode of On Court with USPTA on the Tennis Channel just yesterday and some clown wearing a black wig was teaching a kid to serve exactly like roddick, damn his own natural tendencies. can't imagine what he'd have told a young borg or mcenroe about 'proper' technique.

Last edited by allpro : 08-05-2013 at 08:43 PM.
allpro is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 08:28 PM   #39
country flag Kat_YYZ
Registered Fed fan
 
Kat_YYZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 13,464
Kat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ryan Harrison still doesn't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by djokovicgonzalez View Post
They help him. If they help him, let him do it. Some players do better that way, though those who don't never seem to believe it. His regression is due to his strokes and fitness not evolving, not "attitude" and I find it a ridiculous assertion. Harrison is way stronger mentally than someone as robotic as can be, Delbonis, in the new generation of players. It is ludicrous to chalk up his failures to mentality- he is fairly clutch, actually, or at least was before his recent slump- rather than a poor backhand and no return, which are clearly the real problems. In fact, I think trying at the advice of the media to show less emotion contributed to his decline. Nothing the press says or does- not the ridiculous doping denials, not the fawning over the "big 4", not the lack of knowledge of any player outside the top 20- bothers me as much as their condemnation of any player with a personality.

This is the very reason I cannot be a Federer fan. He is a nice guy, the greatest player ever, and has a beautiful game. But he has bred two generations and a press that believe the only way to behave is like you possess no emotions and it is horribly sinful to express yourself on court in any manner.
you're probably one of those people who cheered on Amy Winehouse when she released "Rehab". Yeah, you tell them, girl. Be yourself, you don't need some lame 12-step program to turn you into a boring goody-two-shoes. What's she up to these days, anyways?

"Letting it out" is one thing, but Harrison's tantrums go on and on, indicating that he's sulking around feeling sorry for himself. Probably with thoughts like "everything's against me" "nothing is working" -- general negativity that is not going to lead you to play better in the match.
__________________
Roger Federer * Greatest Of All Time
Kat_YYZ is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 08:48 PM   #40
country flag Burrow
Registered User
 
Burrow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 18,867
Burrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ryan Harrison still doesn't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Groove View Post
Harrison is very good, and has much talent.

His 1st serve is very fast, his 2nd serve is and can be mad clutch. His return absolutely needs improvement, he needs to drop a good ten pounds as well, I'd like to know his diet.

His forehand can be devastating and his backhand can be adequate. The problem is his tennis mind. Where are the tactics? Where is the strategy? Rushing the net like a blind man and getting passed like Roddick left and right, returning shots into the middle of the court to just allow the other guy to take the initiative, and of course, the mental breakdowns.

GOD I can't wait until my back is fully healed so I can show these clowns how to do this thing. For me, I used to be a racquet smasher, when I was in high school, I would have a graveyards of tennis racquets under my bed. Nowadays, I haven't smashed one in a very very long time. Probably because I have to pay for them with my own money.

Mentally, for me I used to be a massive hothead, but now I am calming myself down. After points, I like to express emotion, but not too much high or low. After a long rally, a great shot, a big vamos and a fist pump, but 3 seconds later, I am ready to go and focused entirely on the next point. After losing a shot, I'll utter a "Oi yoi yoi yoi yoi yoi, too much" and smile, and again, back ready to go. Or, "Oi! More spin, too flat" or something like that. I recall in my last match, I said, after missing a 2nd serve return: "Oh I got tight! Too close to the ball! 2nd serve return on break point! on the forehand!" and I smiled to myself and got ready for the next point. I ended up breaking serve in that game anyways.

Bottom line, you gotta get over the last point within 5 seconds. Say what you need to say or not say, and get it out and get ready for the next point. I was reading in Jimmy Connors book where he said he was not one of those players like Borg who can keep it all inside. He said he needed to release it, otherwise it will build up and he will play like shit.
Burrow is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 11:21 PM   #41
country flag paseo
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 4,453
paseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ryan Harrison still doesn't get it

He's just not good enough.
paseo is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 12:55 AM   #42
country flag BackhandDTL
Registered User
 
BackhandDTL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Age: 24
Posts: 4,688
BackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ryan Harrison still doesn't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by allpro View Post
tennis academies in america are training juniors to become roddick-clones instead of developing their own natural technique. i caught an episode of On Court with USPTA on the Tennis Channel just yesterday and some clown wearing a black wig was teaching a kid to serve exactly like roddick, damn his own natural tendencies. can't imagine what he'd have told a young borg or mcenroe about 'proper' technique.
No, we don't.

Way to base this all on one observation.


FYI, Roddick was far from anything orthodox, or "textbook", himself.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thierry Champion View Post
He doesn't have a great FH, average at best. It's very inconsistent.
- Thierry on Jack Sock's forehand.
BackhandDTL is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 01:08 AM   #43
country flag allpro
Registered User
 
allpro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 3,145
allpro has a reputation beyond reputeallpro has a reputation beyond reputeallpro has a reputation beyond reputeallpro has a reputation beyond reputeallpro has a reputation beyond reputeallpro has a reputation beyond reputeallpro has a reputation beyond reputeallpro has a reputation beyond reputeallpro has a reputation beyond reputeallpro has a reputation beyond reputeallpro has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ryan Harrison still doesn't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackhandDTL View Post
No, we don't.

Way to base this all on one observation.


FYI, Roddick was far from anything orthodox, or "textbook", himself.
yes we do. roddick's service motion, fh, and bh are taught as the new orthodoxy in many tennis academies. harrison and sock are just the most visible products of this school.
allpro is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 01:58 AM   #44
country flag BackhandDTL
Registered User
 
BackhandDTL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Age: 24
Posts: 4,688
BackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ryan Harrison still doesn't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by allpro View Post
yes we do. roddick's service motion, fh, and bh are taught as the new orthodoxy in many tennis academies. harrison and sock are just the most visible products of this school.


I work at one of the biggest academies in So. Cal., which I also trained at as a Junior. By extension of both of those facts, I've experienced or visited many of the facilities and programs around the region as a player and now as a coach.

There are no banners of Andy Roddick hanging up. There are no bibles of his game lying around. No part of any facility's curriculum has an "Andy Roddick class" offered, and no club prides itself on producing the next one.

It might also interest you to know that most places enlist pros as independent contractors, meaning many coaches, bar some principle oversight and regardless of any USPTA affiliation, are responsible for and free to coach Juniors to their individual preference.

Moreover, and once more, Andy Roddick has never had an orthodox game. His serve and forehand, while respected, have never been considered exemplary, while his backhand has been openly criticized by commentators for year, many of whom have a hand in some of the best facilities around the world. Besides that, he is hardly the premier proprietor for the big serve, big forehand archetype you're presumably alluding to, as you can look back even to one Jim Courier as a weapon-oriented champion.

In short, you have no idea what you're talking about.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thierry Champion View Post
He doesn't have a great FH, average at best. It's very inconsistent.
- Thierry on Jack Sock's forehand.
BackhandDTL is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 03:02 AM   #45
country flag allpro
Registered User
 
allpro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 3,145
allpro has a reputation beyond reputeallpro has a reputation beyond reputeallpro has a reputation beyond reputeallpro has a reputation beyond reputeallpro has a reputation beyond reputeallpro has a reputation beyond reputeallpro has a reputation beyond reputeallpro has a reputation beyond reputeallpro has a reputation beyond reputeallpro has a reputation beyond reputeallpro has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ryan Harrison still doesn't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackhandDTL View Post


I work at one of the biggest academies in So. Cal., which I also trained at as a Junior. By extension of both of those facts, I've experienced or visited many of the facilities and programs around the region as a player and now as a coach.

There are no banners of Andy Roddick hanging up. There are no bibles of his game lying around. No part of any facility's curriculum has an "Andy Roddick class" offered, and no club prides itself on producing the next one.

It might also interest you to know that most places enlist pros as independent contractors, meaning many coaches, bar some principle oversight and regardless of any USPTA affiliation, are responsible for and free to coach Juniors to their individual preference.

Moreover, and once more, Andy Roddick has never had an orthodox game. His serve and forehand, while respected, have never been considered exemplary, while his backhand has been openly criticized by commentators for year, many of whom have a hand in some of the best facilities around the world. Besides that, he is hardly the premier proprietor for the big serve, big forehand archetype you're presumably alluding to, as you can look back even to one Jim Courier as a weapon-oriented champion.

In short, you have no idea what you're talking about.
now you're just being a smartass. i'm not involved in junior tennis development but base my observations on having followed the sport for quite some time. the program on ttc brought to mind other programs on promising juniors and tennis academies as well as conversations with local pros and a lengthy article i read several years ago regarding the shift in american training methods and techniques.

regarding roddick, i never said he had an orthodox style, but rather he was the result of a new teaching orthodoxy in america - big difference. is it just a coincidence that two of america's most visible prospects (and i'm sure scores of others whom we’ve never seen) have styles/techniques similar to roddick in many aspects? why is this? and do you really think independent contractors can go into elite tennis academies and teach whatever they want? don’t be ridiculous. ultimately, i go by what i see and the results tell me differently. as an american tennis pro, i can see why you’re being a bit defensive.
allpro is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


Copyright (C) Verticalscope Inc
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBCredits v1.4 Copyright ©2007, PixelFX Studios