Ryan Harrison still doesn't get it - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 08-05-2013, 12:23 AM   #1
country flag bobbynorwich

bobbynorwich has a reputation beyond reputebobbynorwich has a reputation beyond reputebobbynorwich has a reputation beyond reputebobbynorwich has a reputation beyond reputebobbynorwich has a reputation beyond reputebobbynorwich has a reputation beyond reputebobbynorwich has a reputation beyond reputebobbynorwich has a reputation beyond reputebobbynorwich has a reputation beyond reputebobbynorwich has a reputation beyond reputebobbynorwich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Ryan Harrison still doesn't get it

Getting trounced by Del Potro (6-1, 7-5) in 70 minutes, Harrison reverted to form, threw a tantrum, and got a warning for racquet abuse. This guy has yet to figure out that tantrums help the opponent, just as Del Po said about the incident, "It's easier for us, because we see our opponent really, really low."
WASHINGTON -- Even before Ryan Harrison broke his racket by spiking it on the Citi Open court or screamed "Oh, my God!" in exasperation, top-seeded Juan Martin del Potro was feeling pretty good about the way things were going Thursday.

Harrison was ranked inside the top 50 last season and is widely seen as the next top American male player. [comment: debatable]

"He has good potential. He serves well. He plays well on hard courts. But sometimes he looks young," said del Potro, who was a couple of weeks shy of his 21st birthday when he won the U.S. Open. "He's still 21. He needs to learn a few things to become a better player in the future."

Harrison trailed 4-0 after only 11 minutes. Both men hit serves at the considerable speed of 130 mph, but the difference was that once the ball was in play, del Potro's ground strokes were far more consistent.

"Sometimes you go out there and for whatever reason, it's not feeling as well as you want it to," said Harrison, 0-18 against top-10 players. "The best guys, whenever they see someone's off, they just press you, and they just make you feel like you're under duress all the time."

After pushing a forehand long to get broken at 3-0, Harrison smashed his equipment, earning a warning from the chair umpire for racket abuse. During a particularly rough stretch from late in the first set to early in the second, Harrison dropped 13 consecutive points, a drought that ended right after he dumped a backhand in the net, looked to the sky and yelled. From there, he played evenly against del Potro, until getting broken in the last game.

Del Potro thinks Harrison's histrionics help foes. "It's easier for us, because we ... (see) our opponent really, really low," del Potro said.

http://espn.go.com/tennis/story/_/id...sets-citi-open

If Ryan knows the best guys press harder when they feel you are under duress, why does he show them how utterly distressed he is by throwing a tantrum? He's 21 now --- not an 18 yr old newbie --- and should have gotten it together by now. Federer had the same problem as a teenager until his coach and family convinced him that throwing tantrums just donates points to the opposition and he stopped the nonsense.

Harrison's coach and camp should plan an intervention, they are not serving him well by ignoring that he's a head case.

Last edited by bobbynorwich : 08-05-2013 at 01:36 AM.
bobbynorwich is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2013, 12:29 AM   #2
country flag lucyfur

lucyfur has a reputation beyond reputelucyfur has a reputation beyond reputelucyfur has a reputation beyond reputelucyfur has a reputation beyond reputelucyfur has a reputation beyond reputelucyfur has a reputation beyond reputelucyfur has a reputation beyond reputelucyfur has a reputation beyond reputelucyfur has a reputation beyond reputelucyfur has a reputation beyond reputelucyfur has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ryan Harrison still doesn't get it

Too much Roddick influence.
lucyfur is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 12:30 AM   #3
country flag BackhandDTL

BackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond repute

I feel for Harrison actually.

He would point out that he tried subduing his attitude on court and went on to lose 11 straight matches.

There's a fine line somewhere regarding his passion, and it's part of his development that he finds it.

Besides, honestly, when compared to his forehand, his attitude is really a secondary problem.
Originally Posted by @Sweet Cleopatra View Post
Million times.. Your problem
I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want. If you're looking for attention, I can tell you I don't like you but what I do have are a very particular set of skills. Skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you stop posting that photo now, that will be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you. But if you don't, I will look for you, I will find you and I will terminate your MTF account.
BackhandDTL is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 12:41 AM   #4
country flag emotion
Racquet smash enthusiast

emotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond repute

They help him. If they help him, let him do it. Some players do better that way, though those who don't never seem to believe it. His regression is due to his strokes and fitness not evolving, not "attitude" and I find it a ridiculous assertion. Harrison is way stronger mentally than someone as robotic as can be, Delbonis, in the new generation of players. It is ludicrous to chalk up his failures to mentality- he is fairly clutch, actually, or at least was before his recent slump- rather than a poor backhand and no return, which are clearly the real problems. In fact, I think trying at the advice of the media to show less emotion contributed to his decline. Nothing the press says or does- not the ridiculous doping denials, not the fawning over the "big 4", not the lack of knowledge of any player outside the top 20- bothers me as much as their condemnation of any player with a personality.

This is the very reason I cannot be a Federer fan. He is a nice guy, the greatest player ever, and has a beautiful game. But he has bred two generations and a press that believe the only way to behave is like you possess no emotions and it is horribly sinful to express yourself on court in any manner.

Robredo, Matosevic, Estrella, Dolgopolov, Hanescu, Kukushkin, Chiudinelli, Gulbis, Rosol, Bozoljac, Gabashvili, Hernych, Starace, Stakhovsky, Brown, Garcia-Lopez, Zeballos, Herbert, Istomin, Kohlschreiber, Tursunov, Robert, Monaco, Djokovic, Gonzalez, Thiem

Last edited by emotion : 08-05-2013 at 12:45 AM.
emotion is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 12:45 AM   #5
country flag Smoke944

Smoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackhandDTL View Post
I feel for Harrison actually.

He would point out that he tried subduing his attitude on court and went on to lose 11 straight matches.

There's a fine line somewhere regarding his passion, and it's part of his development that he finds it.

Besides, honestly, when compared to his forehand, his attitude is really a secondary problem.
Why do people post this over and over like it's even remotely accurate?
He literally can't hit three topspin backhands in a row in the court and his forehand is what's holding him back? Ok, that makes perfect sense.
Smoke944 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 12:50 AM   #6
country flag Kyle_Johansen

Kyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond repute

I'll say this: Harrison having his "histrionics" on court as Delpo says only makes it easier for guys to beat him.
6) Rosewall 7) Agassi 8) Lendl 9) Connors 10) McEnroe
Top 10 favourite all-time list
1) Federer 2) Safin 3) Agassi 4) Sampras 5) Edberg
6) Lendl 7) Haas 8) Hewitt 9) Connors 10) Becker
Kyle_Johansen is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 12:51 AM   #7
country flag Unforced Terror

Unforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke944 View Post
He literally can't hit three topspin backhands in a row in the court and his forehand is what's holding him back? Ok, that makes perfect sense.
It's really strange, in some matches his forehand sucks and some it's his main weapon. One minute he is spinning 45 mph sitters over the net, and the next smashing it down the line...into the net. Yeah, his backhand is frail, but it is not so wildly seizure inducing as the other stroke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Groove View Post
Nothing wrong with my serve technically
Unforced Terror is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 12:55 AM   #8
country flag emotion
Racquet smash enthusiast

emotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I agree with this. His forehand isn't perfect, but the backhand is the disaster.

Robredo, Matosevic, Estrella, Dolgopolov, Hanescu, Kukushkin, Chiudinelli, Gulbis, Rosol, Bozoljac, Gabashvili, Hernych, Starace, Stakhovsky, Brown, Garcia-Lopez, Zeballos, Herbert, Istomin, Kohlschreiber, Tursunov, Robert, Monaco, Djokovic, Gonzalez, Thiem
emotion is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 01:00 AM   #9
country flag BackhandDTL

BackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
You're right, it makes perfect sense.

Even today, where players are more commonly well-rounded, it is still perfectly possible to maintain decent success on tour as an incomplete, weapon-oriented player.

Harrison's issue is that his so-called weapon, his forehand, the shot that's erroneously mistaken as some big gun, really isn't a weapon at all. It's a highly inconsistent, mechanically flawed liability. He starts at least half his points in the fray because he struggles to take any initiative on it and it's very susceptible to going awry.

His backhand may never be world class material, which wouldn't be as big an issue if he had any hopes of commanding points and masking the shot altogether (as even greats have done before), but he can't do that consistently because his good wing isn't that good. Thus, he can only hope and grind.

So yes, it makes perfect sense to anyone who understands the dynamics of tennis, especially in the modern game, where the natural advantages of a forehand make it so important to have (see Murray's success before and after the improvement of his own).

Then again, you're the same guy who last week said his issue is that he isn't a shot-maker, whatever that meant.
I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want. If you're looking for attention, I can tell you I don't like you but what I do have are a very particular set of skills. Skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you stop posting that photo now, that will be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you. But if you don't, I will look for you, I will find you and I will terminate your MTF account.
Old 08-05-2013, 01:04 AM   #10
country flag leng jai

leng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond repute

Harrison's issue is that he is American and therefore disproportionately hyped. His mental fragility wouldn't be that bad if he had enough talent to make up for it which he doesn't.

TOMMY HASS
0 slams () and 0 finals
0 consecutive weeks at world no. 1
0 consecutive Laureus World Sports Awards
0 times qualified for YEC
3-13 H2H against Rogi Featherer
0-5 H2H against Rafito Nadal
Career low ranking: 1,241 (26.06.1995)
0 fake mullets flaunted in Roland Garros finals.
1 first name in common with Tommy Robredo
leng jai is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 01:07 AM   #11
country flag BackhandDTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by leng jai View Post
Harrison's issue is that he is American and therefore disproportionately hyped. His mental fragility wouldn't be that bad if he had enough talent to make up for it which he doesn't.
I think his now undue hype has more to do with winning an MD tour match at 15.

It's not like any one of Klahn, Smyczek (or whatever), Johnson, or Sweeting, to name a few, receive anywhere near the same scrutiny.

For all of his faults, he was the youngest player in the top 100 for a good long while.
Old 08-05-2013, 01:09 AM   #12
country flag leng jai

leng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackhandDTL View Post
I think his now undue hype has more to do with winning an MD tour match at 15.

It's not like any one of Klahn, Smyczek (or whatever), Johnson, or Sweeting, to name a few, receive anywhere near the same scrutiny.

For all of his faults, he was the youngest player in the top 100 for a good long while.
That's the problem - if you're American and do something half decent at young age they end up being touted as top 10 material.

TOMMY HASS
0 slams () and 0 finals
0 consecutive weeks at world no. 1
0 consecutive Laureus World Sports Awards
0 times qualified for YEC
3-13 H2H against Rogi Featherer
0-5 H2H against Rafito Nadal
Career low ranking: 1,241 (26.06.1995)
0 fake mullets flaunted in Roland Garros finals.
1 first name in common with Tommy Robredo
leng jai is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 01:40 AM   #13
country flag Sauletekis

Sauletekis has a reputation beyond reputeSauletekis has a reputation beyond reputeSauletekis has a reputation beyond reputeSauletekis has a reputation beyond reputeSauletekis has a reputation beyond reputeSauletekis has a reputation beyond reputeSauletekis has a reputation beyond reputeSauletekis has a reputation beyond reputeSauletekis has a reputation beyond reputeSauletekis has a reputation beyond reputeSauletekis has a reputation beyond repute

This forum needs definetly more Ryan Harrison threads...

Sporting Clube de Portugal, Fútbol Club Barcelona, Newcastle United Football Club, FK Vilniaus Žalgiris
Sauletekis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 01:45 AM   #14
country flag Henry Chinaski

Henry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond repute

He needs to stop firing coaches.
Old 08-05-2013, 02:03 AM   #15
country flag bobbynorwich

bobbynorwich has a reputation beyond reputebobbynorwich has a reputation beyond reputebobbynorwich has a reputation beyond reputebobbynorwich has a reputation beyond reputebobbynorwich has a reputation beyond reputebobbynorwich has a reputation beyond reputebobbynorwich has a reputation beyond reputebobbynorwich has a reputation beyond reputebobbynorwich has a reputation beyond reputebobbynorwich has a reputation beyond reputebobbynorwich has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by leng jai View Post
That's the problem - if you're American and do something half decent at young age they end up being touted as top 10 material.
There's a good point --- too much attention puts too much pressure at a young age.

And as Lucyfur said, "too much Roddick" is probably true also.

It's also possible that his inconsistent strokes and his inconsistent mental control are related. It's hard to stay 'in the zone' when you regularly have meltdowns.

If it is true as Backhand DLT says that, "He would point out that he tried subduing his attitude on court and went on to lose 11 straight matches" --- that would be unfortunate. There are many reasons for losing matches (such as better opponents, having a niggling injury, being upset/distracted about a personal matter, coaching change, excess pressure, trying to incorporate a new technique, etc.) so how can he counter-intuitively single out being in mental control as the reason for losing?

From what I've seen, he usually loses the match after he implodes and having meltdowns doesn't seem to help him win. Would love to see him guided by a Lendl-like coach, who sure did wonders with Andy Murray's mental control.

bobbynorwich is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote