what does andy need to return 2 his rightful place in tennis? - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 03-20-2005, 03:54 AM   #1
country flag ellehutton

ellehutton is just really niceellehutton is just really niceellehutton is just really niceellehutton is just really nice
Lightbulb what does andy need to return 2 his rightful place in tennis?

now even though andy is some thing like 17-3 (win/losses) so far this year and that is great he seems a mere sliver of the player that took the 2003 summer events by storm and won the us open.....i think andy has the potential to be the best if not one of tennis all time greats...what does everyone else think?
what will it take for him to return to glory? (besides hooking up with myself )

i think he needs to take up yoga not only is it a great exercise its a mind set as you work through positions it teaches you focus and intensity, flexibility and calm, strength and mindfulness...the most benifical part for him i think would be the abilty to: CENTER YOURSELF that is using the breath to focus and calm yourself being aware of your mind, body and all your abilities, believing in them and yourself and letting it all go and radiate like light from with in you
(people all say it changes their lives and im talking from my own personal experience...its a revalation and teaches so much more than u could ever imagine...its the best part of my day)

SOUND GOOD 2 ANYONE ELSE?
ellehutton is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2005, 03:59 AM   #2
country flag Deboogle!.
Vamos Mandy :)

Deboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: what does andy need to return 2 his rightful place in tennis?

Yes, it does sound good. Tangy has been suggesting it for months.

Sports psychologist, too... along the same vein.

And he needs to just keep working to get fitter and better and more confident, etc.

I don't agree that he's just a sliver of that player. Technically, his game is so much better. He has so many more shots, he is so much better of an all-court player. His serve has more variety, his BH is SO much better, his transition game is better, he's moving better, I think he's fitter, etc.

Mentally, well I don't know. Obviously not as good. And obviously that confidence and self-belief counts for a lot, since he won all the big tight matches in 2003 and is losing them all now even though he's so much better a player.

To me, the biggest thing missing is that since Andy won the USO he doesn't play as freely. like you watch his older matches and he was just looser. Even when he lost, even when it was tight, he was different. It's so hard to explain, I don't know how to verbalize, but when I put on an older match of his, I see it. I wish he could get that back. The only time I remember seeing it in the recent past was his match in Thailand against Marat. It's these subtle aspects about the way he acts during a match. I don't know.... but I like it and I miss it.

to (in no particular order): BryOns | Mandy | MarTy | Isner | Dent | Querrey | Baghdatis | Delic | Oli | N&o | Gasquet | Ferrero | Levine | Malisse | LUX | Melzer | Moya | Nishikori | Haas | Grosjean | Ancic | Mathieu | Calleri | Bolelli | Sela | Blake | more...
Deboogle!. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 04:06 AM   #3
country flag ellehutton

ellehutton is just really niceellehutton is just really niceellehutton is just really niceellehutton is just really nice

i totally get what ur saying...good points, do u think its just a coincidence that,
that player used to WEAR THE VISOR....BRING BACK THE VISOR!

i said it in another thread but that visor wearing kid was not only sexy he was a real fighter, he was aggressive, he was relaxed, innovative and calculating in short he was everything he needs to bring back now

i know reebok has got to be making a couple that are 2 his liking...give it a chance
ellehutton is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 04:10 AM   #4
country flag Deboogle!.

Deboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think it has anything to do with the visor b/c he still had the kind of aura I'm talking about during summer 2003. Maybe it's not a coincidence, I don't really know.

to (in no particular order): BryOns | Mandy | MarTy | Isner | Dent | Querrey | Baghdatis | Delic | Oli | N&o | Gasquet | Ferrero | Levine | Malisse | LUX | Melzer | Moya | Nishikori | Haas | Grosjean | Ancic | Mathieu | Calleri | Bolelli | Sela | Blake | more...
Old 03-20-2005, 04:47 AM   #5
country flag tangerine_dream
Last dance, Andy

tangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond repute

Too funny Kell.

I know what you mean though. Andy, yoga ... it just doesn't mix. But I think something like it could really help him to stay focused in matches.
"What kind of shape am I in now? Well round is a shape." said Roddick with a laugh. "I had a very detailed retirement plan, and I feel like I've met every aspect of it: a lot of golf, a lot of carbs, a lot of fried food, and some booze, occasionally — I've been completely committed ... The results have shown."

Mugs Tennis Forums
tangerine_dream is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 05:03 AM   #6
heya
Banned!

heya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond repute

He's number 3 because he skipped several tournaments and gave up many times when he was tired & depressed.
Suddenly, the whole world declares him untalented.

Andy hates travelling and gaining experience.
He MUST learn all year long.

On clay- he can learn patience and instinct/to get lighter & faster
On grass- he can practice more often, but he isn't doing much.
On hardcourt - he can step forward, train for break point conversions and regain the fearlessness/hunger/aggression he had 2 years ago.

Last edited by heya : 03-20-2005 at 05:05 AM.
heya is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 05:09 AM   #7
country flag Deboogle!.

how exactly does one train to convert break points?

Old 03-20-2005, 05:21 AM   #8
country flag oneandonlyhsn

oneandonlyhsn has a reputation beyond reputeoneandonlyhsn has a reputation beyond reputeoneandonlyhsn has a reputation beyond reputeoneandonlyhsn has a reputation beyond reputeoneandonlyhsn has a reputation beyond reputeoneandonlyhsn has a reputation beyond reputeoneandonlyhsn has a reputation beyond reputeoneandonlyhsn has a reputation beyond reputeoneandonlyhsn has a reputation beyond reputeoneandonlyhsn has a reputation beyond reputeoneandonlyhsn has a reputation beyond repute

Get spanked a few more times. Haha seriously I think Andy has a chance of being #2, I cant agree with best of all time I dont think he is anywhere near Federer in terms of shot making ability and finesse. However having said that, Andy needs to stop relying too heavily on his serve, its a great weapon but it will break down on him every once in a while. Right now when his serve starts breaking down or meets an opponent that can return well he has a hard time. His coach needs to work more on his overall game, coming to net, hitting more slices, and focus less on hammering the ball, it wears him out IMHO. He is not bad but he could be a lot better. He is athletic enough he has potential. He showed he can vary his game when he played Moya that is what his coach needs to focus more on. Keep making Andy play with more variety and he will be a better player. Also all these things take time, he probably is working on all these things but they take time. Look at Feds when he started players thought his backhand was horrible, its not the greatest but he can hit amazing shots with it now and lots of winners.

Grigor Dimitrov & David Goffin - The future of tennis

Allez - Jerzy Janowicz, Jose Acasuso , Lleyton, Djokovic, Nalbandian, Clement, Nicolas Almagro, Stanislas Wawrinka

Ai Se Eu Te Pego - Michel Telo
oneandonlyhsn is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 09:08 AM   #9
country flag Noelle

Noelle has a reputation beyond reputeNoelle has a reputation beyond reputeNoelle has a reputation beyond reputeNoelle has a reputation beyond reputeNoelle has a reputation beyond reputeNoelle has a reputation beyond reputeNoelle has a reputation beyond reputeNoelle has a reputation beyond reputeNoelle has a reputation beyond reputeNoelle has a reputation beyond reputeNoelle has a reputation beyond repute

Well, Andy needs his fans to support him through good times and bad times.

Last edited by Noelle : 03-20-2005 at 09:11 AM.
Noelle is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 11:11 AM   #10
country flag MissFairy

MissFairy has a reputation beyond reputeMissFairy has a reputation beyond reputeMissFairy has a reputation beyond reputeMissFairy has a reputation beyond reputeMissFairy has a reputation beyond reputeMissFairy has a reputation beyond reputeMissFairy has a reputation beyond reputeMissFairy has a reputation beyond reputeMissFairy has a reputation beyond reputeMissFairy has a reputation beyond reputeMissFairy has a reputation beyond repute

Kellerer turning to bribing already? things must be bad although i think bribing with pizza and beer would help more

to be honest, i agree with Deb. she makes a fair point. hes not a like a shadow of his former-2003-butt-kicking self, hes made leaps and bounds since then. His backhand, dear me, he could never have made some of the shots that hes making on that wing a couple of years ago. his forecourt game, has improved considerably, and he uses it well some of the time. it still needs alot of work. but i think, he really really lacking confidence.

we see him out on court week in, week out, and what we see seems familiar. he struts on court, trying to impose himself (the serve helps ) but theres a difference. hes letting so much indecisiveness into his game. its not built for that, he needs to believe in the shot hes about to play, or he wont make it. last night against hewitt, he changed his mind almost midshot, hes second guessing himself, something he didnt do a couple of years ago. why is it happening now? who knows? maybe a few tough losses. the belief hes not one of the worlds elite. noone's really entirely sure.

but what i do know, is at the moment its holding him back. just keeping him one step away from finishing those big matches.
I also did not eat Curry 'cos it rhymes with Murray.

I fangirl for Roddickulous, Youzhless and the Djoke.
g1MmYM@NnN!!!122!!
MissFairy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 12:57 PM   #11
country flag Tytta!.
(:

Tytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kell
Am I the only person giggling my head off at the thought of Andy doing Yoga?

I can't picture him sitting still and twisting his legs around and concentrating. What is this concentrating thing again
Tytta!. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 02:43 PM   #12
country flag Deboogle!.

Kell and Sarah, I totally agree with you ladies

and Noelle, I don't think any of his fans here are giving up. Put it this way, I haven't noticed that anyone's disappeared just b/c Andy loses a few close matches. Yea, sometimes I get mad, but it's really more of displacing the stress in my own life and taking it out on Andy

Old 03-20-2005, 03:22 PM   #13
country flag MissFairy

MissFairy has a reputation beyond reputeMissFairy has a reputation beyond reputeMissFairy has a reputation beyond reputeMissFairy has a reputation beyond reputeMissFairy has a reputation beyond reputeMissFairy has a reputation beyond reputeMissFairy has a reputation beyond reputeMissFairy has a reputation beyond reputeMissFairy has a reputation beyond reputeMissFairy has a reputation beyond reputeMissFairy has a reputation beyond repute

Kellerer now to do that phone trick to him might very wel cost you your life, you know how fond our ducky is of italian dough.

the reason all of us here want him to do better, want him to improve and succeed is because we care so much. its not just a case of just 'yeah hes an alright player' we are invested in his interests as dedicated supporters this is why when he hurts, we hurt

its tough at the moment, but we're not going anywhere. he knows that (somewhere)
I also did not eat Curry 'cos it rhymes with Murray.

I fangirl for Roddickulous, Youzhless and the Djoke.
g1MmYM@NnN!!!122!!
MissFairy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 06:40 PM   #14
country flag Katdiva7

Katdiva7 has a reputation beyond reputeKatdiva7 has a reputation beyond reputeKatdiva7 has a reputation beyond reputeKatdiva7 has a reputation beyond reputeKatdiva7 has a reputation beyond reputeKatdiva7 has a reputation beyond reputeKatdiva7 has a reputation beyond reputeKatdiva7 has a reputation beyond reputeKatdiva7 has a reputation beyond reputeKatdiva7 has a reputation beyond reputeKatdiva7 has a reputation beyond repute

I think that Andy's game is really improving and I think it's just a matter of time now. The more that he sees he can make some really smart shots and dosen't have to depend on his serve and only his seve,I think that's when his confidence will become alot stronger than it is now. His game has a lot more variety than it used to have and I think a really huge improvement. Hopefully we'll see the confidence coming through a lot more this year.
Katdiva7 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 06:48 PM   #15
country flag Deboogle!.

yes, I think you're right, Katdiva.

One thing i've said for a while now is that even though his game is really coming along, I'm not sure that HE is fully confident in it yet. It's still really progressing and I can see why, in these big moments, it's hard for him to have the confidence to really GO for it or whatever. It logically makes sense to me that this is the cause of his mental slump in big matches. But how long will it take? a year? 2 years? IMO the real noticeable improvements started showing themselves like around the grass season, around there. But this season under CuteDean he's definitely playing better - technically speaking, better tennis - than he ever has. So it's been what, about 2 months now. I mean, however long it takes, that's how long it will take, but it's frustrating to see it take so long lol.

My hope is that he'll have one big big tournament at one point soon where he will beat one (or more) of these players who have really given him trouble, and that everything will click for him and take him to that next level. I really do want to believe this can happen. I just hope it happens sooner rather than later

Maybe yesterday's match was actually a turning point - even though he lost, because he saw proof positive that he's made progress. Only time will reveal that, but I am trying to be optimistic that the more he uses these new things in match, and especially BIG match, situations, that he'll get the confidence in them that he had before.

Last edited by Deboogle!. : 03-20-2005 at 06:50 PM.