*guillermo coria NEWS thread* - Page 6 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 10-07-2005, 05:02 PM   #76
country flag Pearl

Pearl has a reputation beyond reputePearl has a reputation beyond reputePearl has a reputation beyond reputePearl has a reputation beyond reputePearl has a reputation beyond reputePearl has a reputation beyond reputePearl has a reputation beyond reputePearl has a reputation beyond reputePearl has a reputation beyond reputePearl has a reputation beyond reputePearl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: *guillermo coria NEWS thread*

My English is so poor,and the article is so long...i try to understand it slowly...
Thanks,Truc
Pearl is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2005, 10:37 PM   #77
country flag Truc

Truc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond repute

Not new at all, but here's the article I was talking about in the other thread. Sorry if it was already posted in the Guille forum. Nothing special, but it's always nice to read something positive about Guille:

Coria: he ain't that bad – Matt Cronin (US Open blog)
Guillermo Coria is being toasted and roasted for whining and getting into confrontations with other players. But, he's really not that bad and, unlike his Aussie counterpart, Lleyton Hewitt, whom he's often compared to, he actually smiles quite a bit. Yes, he complains too much about questionable calls, but he's not a serial fist pumper/celebrators like Hewitt, Serena Williams or Maria Sharapova. He's not that rude off court, although he keeps very much to himself. He's not really one of the boys, but who really is amongst the top male players these days, save for Andy Roddick?

Coria is getting kicked in the teeth because he was suspended for doping, three of his countrymen were suspended for doping and hid entire nation has a black mark on it. If you want to take a rip at the guy because he was once suspended, go for it, but don't kill the guy because the sometimes cantankerous Nicolas Massu was upset with him for allegedly faking an injury. He was upset with Massu for faking one, too. Neither believed the other; they exchanged some bad words and then said they would leave it at that. … One commentator is so clueless that he said that Coria was "cursing in Portuguese." If Coria is such a jerk, then why did her exchange high fives with Robby Ginepri during the fifth set of their quarterfinal after a drop shot exchange?
http://www.tennisreporters.net/us_series_090705.html
Truc is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 09:20 AM   #78
country flag Truc

Truc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know where to post this, Vale translated in the Gaudio forum an old article about the FO final which is also interesting for the Guille fans, I think (sorry if you already know it): http://www.menstennisforums.com/show...postcount=2148
Spanish version: http://www.menstennisforums.com/show...postcount=2146

The beginning made me laugh:
Quote:
Argentina’s historic final is over. It will live on in the the retinas of millions of Argentines and lovers of good tennis.
– a curious way to describe the match!
Old 12-29-2005, 04:01 AM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truc
Not new at all, but here's the article I was talking about in the other thread. Sorry if it was already posted in the Guille forum. Nothing special, but it's always nice to read something positive about Guille:

Guillermo Coria is being toasted and roasted for whining and getting into confrontations with other players. But, he's really not that bad and, unlike his Aussie counterpart, Lleyton Hewitt, whom he's often compared to, he actually smiles quite a bit. Yes, he complains too much about questionable calls, but he's not a serial fist pumper/celebrators like Hewitt, Serena Williams or Maria Sharapova. He's not that rude off court, although he keeps very much to himself. He's not really one of the boys, but who really is amongst the top male players these days, save for Andy Roddick?

Coria is getting kicked in the teeth because he was suspended for doping, three of his countrymen were suspended for doping and hid entire nation has a black mark on it. If you want to take a rip at the guy because he was once suspended, go for it, but don't kill the guy because the sometimes cantankerous Nicolas Massu was upset with him for allegedly faking an injury. He was upset with Massu for faking one, too. Neither believed the other; they exchanged some bad words and then said they would leave it at that. … One commentator is so clueless that he said that Coria was "cursing in Portuguese." If Coria is such a jerk, then why did her exchange high fives with Robby Ginepri during the fifth set of their quarterfinal after a drop shot exchange?
I totally agree-- you compare Guille with a lot of other tennis players and he comes off looking quite well And I think one country shouldn't continue to get picked on just because some players have had problems. Also as for staying by himself Guille's situation is different from many other players after all he is a married man! I do hope Guille will do well in 2006 and people will leave him
alone!
View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 11:32 AM   #80
country flag Truc

There is a whole page about Guille in Olé and an interview:
http://www.ole.clarin.com/jsp/v4/pag...?pagId=1116445
http://www.ole.clarin.com/jsp/v4/pag...?pagId=1116441

It looks interesting, but I've got no time to try to translate it now, I'll have a look at it later.
A lot of stuff about the Davis Cup apparently, Guille gets criticized because of the semi-final in Bratislava and the article says David asked Mancini to take him out of the team (that would explain Guille's comments in his last interview for "TN Deportivo").

Last edited by Truc : 12-30-2005 at 01:09 PM.
Old 12-30-2005, 01:39 PM   #81
country flag star
Blown Out On the Trail

star has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

I pretty much agree with that. When people complain about Guille, I always wonder how many matches they have actually seen.
star is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 01:59 PM   #82
country flag Guille's Girl

Guille's Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGuille's Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGuille's Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGuille's Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGuille's Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGuille's Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGuille's Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGuille's Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGuille's Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGuille's Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGuille's Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by star
I pretty much agree with that. When people complain about Guille, I always wonder how many matches they have actually seen.
Wow, pretty astonishing coming from an American journalist. Only one thing he had wrong, is that Guille and MaSsU exchanged "bad words". Guille said there were no bad words and Nicolas conferred the same. Basically they both thought the other was faking an injury

Thanks for posting this Truc (and Star for replying or I never would've found it) ^^

Someday, we'll all be free.

!*~Guillermo Sebastian Mago Coria~*!
Guille's Girl is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 03:04 PM   #83

Quote:
There is a whole page about Guille in Olé and an interview:
http://www.ole.clarin.com/jsp/v4/pag...?pagId=1116445
http://www.ole.clarin.com/jsp/v4/pag...?pagId=1116441

It looks interesting, but I've got no time to try to translate it now, I'll have a look at it later.
A lot of stuff about the Davis Cup apparently, Guille gets criticized because of the semi-final in Bratislava and the article says David asked Mancini to take him out of the team (that would explain Guille's comments in his last interview for "TN Deportivo").
Truc this sounds like it might be very interesting. I hope you will get the time to translate it. It is so nice of you to do translations for those of us who can't understand Spanish
View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 03:33 PM   #84
country flag Truc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guille's Girl
Thanks for posting this Truc (and Star for replying or I never would've found it) ^^
I posted it months ago! I'm glad I reactivated the thread yesterday so that people take notice of Cronin's comments. I really like this text too, he put it very well.
Old 12-30-2005, 03:38 PM   #85
country flag Truc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mae
Truc this sounds like it might be very interesting. I hope you will get the time to translate it. It is so nice of you to do translations for those of us who can't understand Spanish
I can't translate it, Mae, sorry, that was a misunderstanding! I meant I'll translate it for myself, I'll try to understand it. But I can't give you a real translation, sorry, I don't understand everything anyway and it's too difficult for me to write in English!

Rosie translated the part about Mariano in the Puerta forum:
"I believe until death in the innocence of Puerta.
When I found out the sanction I just felt like ice. I have also been in that same situation. I am with Mariano until the end. I believe in his innocence because I know what he is like as a person and how much he has had to fight for everything since he was a boy. He did not deserve that hs career should finish this way. It is strange that they have recognised that the substance that he took did not give him any advantages, and yet still they have given him such a ban. What happened to him could have happened to anyone. It was just negligence, as has happened with all the previous cases involving the Argentines. Nobody has ever taking anything to give them an advantage and they test us every week."

Last edited by Truc : 12-30-2005 at 03:58 PM.
Old 12-30-2005, 03:48 PM   #86
country flag Truc

I had a look at the articles, it's very interesting, but it's so long...
The interview is all about the Davis Cup, the tensions in the team, etc. Guille gets criticized because he was too individualistic, he played Beijing the week before and arrived so late in Bratislava. The article also says he was speaking only with the double players and with Mariano in Bratislava, not with David and Gaston. So there is a rumour that David wants to take him out of the team.
Guille says he would have played even worse if he hadn't played Beijing because he left NY with a negative impression. And he insists on the fact that they had a meeting after the tie to discuss what they did wrong, he seems to find that very important and positive. He obviously tries to minimize the problems in the whole interview.
He also says how incredibly happy he was to play the first tie in Argentina.

(I know there are problems in the team, but I don't really get why they want him out of the team right now, honestly, since they are going to play on clay in a few weeks.)

The other part, the "magicas palabras", is very nice, he talks about next year, Carla, Puerta, the doping issues, 2005, when he wants to have children – I didn't get the last part, it seems to be about his favorite football team and I didn't even try to understand it since I don't really share his passion for football!
I can tell you what I've understood, but maybe somebody will give us an exact translation of this part, it would be better.

Last edited by Truc : 12-30-2005 at 09:22 PM.
Old 12-30-2005, 04:39 PM   #87
country flag Truc

Just saw this post in David's forum too:
http://www.menstennisforums.com/show...postcount=2571
"It was said on tv that David told Luli: It's either him, or me "

Poor Guille, he can't play in a team without triggering off a scandal!
Old 12-30-2005, 04:42 PM   #88
country flag psichogaucho

psichogaucho has a reputation beyond reputepsichogaucho has a reputation beyond reputepsichogaucho has a reputation beyond reputepsichogaucho has a reputation beyond reputepsichogaucho has a reputation beyond reputepsichogaucho has a reputation beyond reputepsichogaucho has a reputation beyond reputepsichogaucho has a reputation beyond reputepsichogaucho has a reputation beyond reputepsichogaucho has a reputation beyond reputepsichogaucho has a reputation beyond repute

"Palabras mágicas"

Cuando me fui de vacaciones a las islas Fiji, Boca iba tres puntos abajo de Gimnasia y nadie creía que terminaría siendo el campeón. Y cuando volví... Bueno, je. Tengo muchos amigos de Boca, más que de River, así que me iba enterando por ellos. Pero debo ser sincero: Boca es un merecidísimo campeón. Tiene un equipazo y me encantaría tener esos jugadores en mi equipo. Pero ojo: banco a muerte a los jugadores de River, confío mucho en la dirigencia y en el cuerpo técnico. Sé que pueden tener rachas positivas y negativas. Estuve hablando con Andrés San Martín, en el partido a beneficio para la fundación de Zanetti, y me contó que van a hacer la primera pretemporada juntos y están con muchas ganas. Hay que confiar en ellos. No voy a negar que me hubiese gustado que Gimnasia saliera campeón, no sólo por Boca, sino porque conozco a Pedro Troglio. Por él y por los hinchas de Gimnasia me hubiera gustado que tuvieran una alegría grande. Es una lástima que se les haya escapado.

"when I went to the Fidji Islands, Boca Juniors was three points behind Gimnasia, and nobody believed that can get the championship. And when I came back...okay, hehe...I got loads of friends Boca Juniors' fans, even more than River Plate, so I kept posted fot them. But I must be sincere: Boca had a great team, they really deserved the championship, I like to have such players in my team, but wait, I support River players and trust in the managers and the coach of the team. I was talking to Andrés San Martín (River's midfielder) in the Zanetti's Foundation football match and he told me that this will be the first pre-season the players will be together. I won't deny that I'd like Gimnasia get the championship, not only 'cos Boca, just because I know Pedro Troglio (Gimnasia's coach) For him and for Gimnasia supporters I'd like they had a great joy. Pity they lost it"

I'm a proud Coron! Viva el Mago!

What do you think I mean when I say that I need you?
psichogaucho is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 05:11 PM   #89
country flag Truc

Oh thanks, psicho – so I got it right, the last part is all about football!

I've got a question about the Carla part: the last sentence sounds so funny to me ("Si no estuviera con ella sería un bruto total"), what does "bruto" exactly mean in Spanish?

Last edited by Truc : 12-30-2005 at 05:27 PM.
Old 12-30-2005, 07:13 PM   #90
country flag Truc

I don't know if you wanted to translate the rest of his "Palabras", psicho, I can only post for Mae a summary of what I've understood, but I'm not sure I got everything right, feel free to correct me!
He first says that now, more than RG, he'd like to win Wimbledon.
His goal for next year is to be in the top 5, it will be difficult to fight for the #1 spot if Federer and Nadal continue like this, but he'll try to put them under pressure.

The Carla part with the usual declaration of love, nothing really new here.

He says he's controlled 20 times a year and doesn't take anything. Even when he had the flu at the US Open, he first played 3 days without taking any medication. He feels insecure because of this. The ATP/ITF should inform them better and do something. It's too hard to play in these conditions, especially during the Grand Slams, with only one day to rest between 5-set-matches.
You already know what he says about Puerta.

2005 was a good year for him. A lot of people say he only won a small tournament in Umag, but he thinks he had very constant results in GS. He clearly wasn't playing at the same level as in 2003 and 2004 when he was in the top 5, but after his surgery, his goal was to be 15th-20th in the world and even that seemed very difficult. So he's satisfied with what he's achieved.

He'd like to be a young father, and certainly not like Agassi who continues playing with his children watching him in the gallery. He doesn't know if he's going to retire at 26 or 30 (I hope I got this part wrong! ), he just wants to be a young father (like his own mother, she is 41 now). But he's not ready yet.

In the first part, they also say he's leaving to Australia on the 6th January.
His physical trainer explains they worked on a lot of things last year and wonders if that could be a cause for all the df. There are many factors in his opinion, the shoulder was one factor (you need 15 months to "stabilize" everything after such a surgery). But maybe he also needs psychological help on this point and if it's necessary, they'll add a specialist to the team.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Olé 1.jpg (32.0 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg Olé 2.jpg (23.3 KB, 13 views)

Last edited by Truc : 12-30-2005 at 08:19 PM.