Tennis elbow/clicking noise in elbow? - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 07-29-2013, 02:50 AM   #1
country flag CapT

CapT has a reputation beyond reputeCapT has a reputation beyond reputeCapT has a reputation beyond reputeCapT has a reputation beyond reputeCapT has a reputation beyond reputeCapT has a reputation beyond reputeCapT has a reputation beyond reputeCapT has a reputation beyond reputeCapT has a reputation beyond reputeCapT has a reputation beyond reputeCapT has a reputation beyond repute
Default Tennis elbow/clicking noise in elbow?

I was playing last week and felt a weird feeling on one of my backhands where my arm was extended, then it hurt a lot by the time I got home. Now I can feel and hear it clicking when I extend it quickly. Is this typical tennis elbow or did I probably tear some joint cartilage?
CapT is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2013, 04:20 AM   #2
country flag HKz
Hakeem

HKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tennis elbow/clicking noise in elbow?

Hard to say. While overexertion is what usually causes tennis elbow, the fact that you're saying you hear some kind of clicking worries me. Naturally the elbow joint does make quite a bit of noise regardless of an injury or not, so this could be the case, but either way all you can do is at the very least give tennis a short break. Keep stretching it, rub the area around it and if it is bearable do some exercises gradually working your way back to normal strength and relief of pain. Naturally, if you play tennis long enough your whole arm will get strong enough and it should avoid getting such a type of injury which is more common for beginners since those joints and muscles are very unused to unique movement tennis requires.

E: Long story short, stop playing tennis a bit, check your pain and movement levels periodically, if you don't find improvement in a week, call a physical therapist/chiropractor.
Old 07-29-2013, 10:06 AM   #3
country flag CapT

CapT has a reputation beyond reputeCapT has a reputation beyond reputeCapT has a reputation beyond reputeCapT has a reputation beyond reputeCapT has a reputation beyond reputeCapT has a reputation beyond reputeCapT has a reputation beyond reputeCapT has a reputation beyond reputeCapT has a reputation beyond reputeCapT has a reputation beyond reputeCapT has a reputation beyond repute

Well Ive been playing for 5 years recreationally about 3-5 times a week the last couple years so the schedule wasnt anything out of the ordinary. My elbow didnt make this clicking before the injury either, but the good thing is the pain has gotten better since last week. Im worried that when I come back it will get worse though because this is what happened with a torn meniscus in my knee that had clicking noises and gradually got worse and needed surgery. I think I may just wait until next season to play again because I would hate for this to become something that needs surgery if I can prevent it. May have to switch to a 2 hander or something well see how it goes next year bleh. Ill do physio and stretch it until then(I only play in summer most of the time anyways). Getting older sucks sometimes!
Old 07-29-2013, 10:50 PM   #4
country flag HKz
Hakeem

HKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm, that is unsual so perhaps you did sustain an actual injury versus getting something like tennis elbow. Hard to really say for sure, but if you are getting some pain relief, perhaps giving it just time to heal is merely all that is needed. I would still go to some trainer at a tennis club or gym and have him take a look.
Old 07-30-2013, 01:06 AM   #5
country flag CapT

I hope so that the clicking will smooth itself over with rest and physio. Ill go talk to a professional.