Will Roddick and Hewitt suffer from the Venus Syndrome? - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 03-16-2005, 04:36 AM   #1
country flag Asmus

Asmus has a reputation beyond reputeAsmus has a reputation beyond reputeAsmus has a reputation beyond reputeAsmus has a reputation beyond reputeAsmus has a reputation beyond reputeAsmus has a reputation beyond reputeAsmus has a reputation beyond reputeAsmus has a reputation beyond reputeAsmus has a reputation beyond reputeAsmus has a reputation beyond reputeAsmus has a reputation beyond repute
Default Will Roddick and Hewitt suffer from the Venus Syndrome?

The Venus Syndrome is where a player who is used to dominating is suddenly eclipsed by a player who is marginally better and starts winning all of their big matches. This player remains #2 for awhile, dominating the rest of the field, before gradually losing confidence and trying to retool their game and then before they know it they're losing to everyone. Andre Agassi post-1995 US Open final is another good example. I think Roddick might already be going through this, as evidenced by his recent losses to Hewitt (but perhaps ever since last year's Wimbledon final), particularly at the Masters Cup where he was disastrously trying to come to the net, and it's probably a matter of time before Hewitt goes downhill, as he has now lost three consecutive big finals. This is the answer to the question "is Roddick losing it mentally?"
Asmus is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2005, 04:49 AM   #2
country flag Dirk

Dirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Will Roddick and Hewitt suffer from the Venus Syndrome?

Asmus I don't think Hewitt is suffering from it. He has bounced back and could really mark out his territory as the steady number 2 in the world. I agree with the Roddick part. That Wimbly final loss could have been his Andre USO 95 final loss. I do think the Pim Pim USO qrt did more damage to his ego though.
Dirk is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 05:14 AM   #3
country flag Smankyou

Smankyou has a reputation beyond reputeSmankyou has a reputation beyond reputeSmankyou has a reputation beyond reputeSmankyou has a reputation beyond reputeSmankyou has a reputation beyond reputeSmankyou has a reputation beyond reputeSmankyou has a reputation beyond reputeSmankyou has a reputation beyond reputeSmankyou has a reputation beyond reputeSmankyou has a reputation beyond reputeSmankyou has a reputation beyond repute

It's not a syndrome. It's just a matter of a better player (ie. Roger) beating them.

Roddick might fall apart mentally (if his arm doesn't rip off first). But Lleyton's not going anywhere anytime soon.
Smankyou is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 05:14 AM   #4
country flag Auscon

Auscon has a reputation beyond reputeAuscon has a reputation beyond reputeAuscon has a reputation beyond reputeAuscon has a reputation beyond reputeAuscon has a reputation beyond reputeAuscon has a reputation beyond reputeAuscon has a reputation beyond reputeAuscon has a reputation beyond reputeAuscon has a reputation beyond reputeAuscon has a reputation beyond reputeAuscon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk
Asmus I don't think Hewitt is suffering from it. He has bounced back and could really mark out his territory as the steady number 2 in the world. I agree with the Roddick part. That Wimbly final loss could have been his Andre USO 95 final loss. I do think the Pim Pim USO qrt did more damage to his ego though.
all of them will go downhill in time, some may fall and then bounce back, but I seriously doubt that neither Roddick nor Lleyton will suffer from the 'venus syndrome'.....definitely not Hewitt.
Auscon is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 05:15 AM   #5
tennischick

tennischick has a reputation beyond reputetennischick has a reputation beyond reputetennischick has a reputation beyond reputetennischick has a reputation beyond reputetennischick has a reputation beyond reputetennischick has a reputation beyond reputetennischick has a reputation beyond reputetennischick has a reputation beyond reputetennischick has a reputation beyond reputetennischick has a reputation beyond reputetennischick has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: Will Roddick and Hewitt suffer from the Venus Syndrome?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smankyou
It's not a syndrome. It's just a matter of a better player (ie. Roger) beating them.

Roddick might fall apart mentally (if his arm doesn't rip off first). But Lleyton's not going anywhere anytime soon.
change Roddick to Duck and i agree with you

ANDY RODDICK: Motivation? No. I enjoy what I do. I enjoy what I do. You know, I've never been one to, you know, blow off practice or, you know, do anything like that.

You know, I'd be lying if I said I'm looking forward to practicing the next two days as opposed to playing here. That part is gonna suck...(2010 Aegon Championships)
tennischick is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 06:30 AM   #6
country flag nkhera1

nkhera1 has a reputation beyond reputenkhera1 has a reputation beyond reputenkhera1 has a reputation beyond reputenkhera1 has a reputation beyond reputenkhera1 has a reputation beyond reputenkhera1 has a reputation beyond reputenkhera1 has a reputation beyond reputenkhera1 has a reputation beyond reputenkhera1 has a reputation beyond reputenkhera1 has a reputation beyond reputenkhera1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smankyou

Why are people under the assumption that his serve causes so much stress on his arm? I mean it does a little, but not that much more than a normal serve. He just hits the ball as hard as he can, but the technique isn't too bad.
nkhera1 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 07:52 AM   #7
country flag Chloe le Bopper

Chloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond repute

Hewitt is tough as nails. You could shoot him 10 times and he'd still get back up again. He'll be fine

Chocking makes me sad.
Chloe le Bopper is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 08:51 AM   #8
bad gambler

roddick and hewitt will remain in the top 10 for a many years to come
View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 09:36 AM   #9
country flag iliketennis

iliketennis has a reputation beyond reputeiliketennis has a reputation beyond reputeiliketennis has a reputation beyond reputeiliketennis has a reputation beyond reputeiliketennis has a reputation beyond reputeiliketennis has a reputation beyond reputeiliketennis has a reputation beyond reputeiliketennis has a reputation beyond reputeiliketennis has a reputation beyond reputeiliketennis has a reputation beyond reputeiliketennis has a reputation beyond repute

I think that Hewitt is playing as good as he ever has. Roddick will regain confidence if he has a good winning streak.
iliketennis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 09:45 AM   #10
bad gambler

hewitt is in the best form of his career - simply fed has raised his game 5 fold since the days when hewitt brushed aside all comers
View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 09:48 AM   #11
country flag Action Jackson
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

Hewitt will be near the top for as long as he can keep his speed up, once he loses that bit of acceleration then it'll get much harder for him.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 02:22 PM   #12
country flag Dirk

Dirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond repute

Hewitt makes more errors now than he did years ago. He is suffering from the Chang Syndrome. That is when a great defense player changes his game to become more offensive and gradually does worse yet fails to see it. Still he can be a steady number two and win another slam for sure.
Old 03-16-2005, 02:27 PM   #13
country flag Roger-No.1

Roger-No.1 has a reputation beyond reputeRoger-No.1 has a reputation beyond reputeRoger-No.1 has a reputation beyond reputeRoger-No.1 has a reputation beyond reputeRoger-No.1 has a reputation beyond reputeRoger-No.1 has a reputation beyond reputeRoger-No.1 has a reputation beyond reputeRoger-No.1 has a reputation beyond reputeRoger-No.1 has a reputation beyond reputeRoger-No.1 has a reputation beyond reputeRoger-No.1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Hewitt makes more errors now than he did years ago. He is suffering from the Chang Syndrome. That is when a great defense player changes his game to become more offensive and gradually does worse yet fails to see it. Still he can be a steady number two and win another slam for sure.
I agree.

I think Hewitt doesn't belong here, in this thread... Not yet.

Roger Federer
Becker | Björn Borg | Edberg

Kiefer Moyá Ljubicic Schalken

Nalbandian Gaudio Kuerten

Grosjean Ancic Santoro Mayer

Last edited by Roger-No.1 : 03-16-2005 at 02:44 PM.
Roger-No.1 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 02:32 PM   #14
country flag Dirk

Well Roger no.1 I don't see Marat being consistent enough to be number two although if he wins another slam this year that should insure that. I don't see Andy doing better than Hewitt throughout this year. Hewitt can actually get points during the clay season so that hurts Andy right there. I could see Hewitt as number 2 at the end of this year.
Old 03-16-2005, 02:41 PM   #15
country flag Roger-No.1

Roger-No.1 has a reputation beyond reputeRoger-No.1 has a reputation beyond reputeRoger-No.1 has a reputation beyond reputeRoger-No.1 has a reputation beyond reputeRoger-No.1 has a reputation beyond reputeRoger-No.1 has a reputation beyond reputeRoger-No.1 has a reputation beyond reputeRoger-No.1 has a reputation beyond reputeRoger-No.1 has a reputation beyond reputeRoger-No.1 has a reputation beyond reputeRoger-No.1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Well Roger no.1 I don't see Marat being consistent enough to be number two although if he wins another slam this year that should insure that. I don't see Andy doing better than Hewitt throughout this year. Hewitt can actually get points during the clay season so that hurts Andy right there. I could see Hewitt as number 2 at the end of this year.
Yeah, I think Hewitt will be No. 2. We'll see...

Roger Federer
Becker | Björn Borg | Edberg

Kiefer Moyá Ljubicic Schalken

Nalbandian Gaudio Kuerten

Grosjean Ancic Santoro Mayer
Roger-No.1 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote