2 handed backhand trouble - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 03-15-2005, 03:26 AM   #1
country flag Maxpowers

Maxpowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaxpowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaxpowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaxpowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaxpowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaxpowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaxpowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaxpowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaxpowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaxpowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaxpowers has a reputation beyond repute
Default 2 handed backhand trouble

I've been struggling with my backhand for a while now, hitting shots that aren't clean and just kind of go off at an angle and I finally figured out why. I'm making contact much too close to my body, which makes for some "interesting" shots.
I can tell when I hit a good backhand cause I really feel like I'm hitting through it, but a lot of times I hit the ball too close and am basically jammed. What can I do to get out of this habit and hit the ball the correct distance from my body?
Maxpowers is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2005, 03:31 AM   #2
country flag joseluismb

joseluismb has a reputation beyond reputejoseluismb has a reputation beyond reputejoseluismb has a reputation beyond reputejoseluismb has a reputation beyond reputejoseluismb has a reputation beyond reputejoseluismb has a reputation beyond reputejoseluismb has a reputation beyond reputejoseluismb has a reputation beyond reputejoseluismb has a reputation beyond reputejoseluismb has a reputation beyond reputejoseluismb has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2 handed backhand trouble

Try focusing on hitting the ball IN FRONT of you. This way you will have more distance. If it doesnt work, focus on hitting the ball ON THE RISE so either your footwork improves inmediatly or, if it doesnt, your arms will be hitting the ball IN FRONT because your body (again, unless your footwork improves magically) cant get to the ball so fast.

Also try to hit the ball more to your left and slightly infront of your body, so you can, besides hitting through, PULL your shot more, giving you the feeling youre hitting with the correct distance from your body

hope that helps

"Whether you think you can, or think you can't, you are right"-Ford

Last edited by joseluismb : 03-15-2005 at 03:33 AM. Reason: forgot something
joseluismb is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 04:12 AM   #3
country flag joseluismb

joseluismb has a reputation beyond reputejoseluismb has a reputation beyond reputejoseluismb has a reputation beyond reputejoseluismb has a reputation beyond reputejoseluismb has a reputation beyond reputejoseluismb has a reputation beyond reputejoseluismb has a reputation beyond reputejoseluismb has a reputation beyond reputejoseluismb has a reputation beyond reputejoseluismb has a reputation beyond reputejoseluismb has a reputation beyond repute

let me know if it works

Old 03-15-2005, 03:38 PM   #4
country flag Rex

Rex has a reputation beyond reputeRex has a reputation beyond reputeRex has a reputation beyond reputeRex has a reputation beyond reputeRex has a reputation beyond reputeRex has a reputation beyond reputeRex has a reputation beyond reputeRex has a reputation beyond reputeRex has a reputation beyond reputeRex has a reputation beyond reputeRex has a reputation beyond repute

footwork-footwork-footwork-footwork-footwork-footwork
cant stress it enough- work on giving yourself more room to hit the ball- as in hitting in front of you- but a great technique is to hit on the rise. If it does not work- something is wrong with your footwork- then just try to work on your footwork.
Srichaphan- The Thai- ger of tennis.
Safin - The of tennis.
Bagdatis- The quotesman of tennis "my coach will watch, i will sleep with my girlfriend"
Kiefer- The naive guy, "yeh, me and seb are good friends"
Santoro- The double handed wizard of tennis.
Lopez- IS my hair right? IS my lipstick right?
Moya- The tatoo and muscles of tennis (although nadal kicks his ass in that department).
Tipsarevic- The tatoo of tennis, competing with moya.
Djokovic- Stole Jiri's surname

Sorry if I left out your favourite, just PM me to let me know-- thanks.
Rex is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 04:24 PM   #5
country flag Maxpowers

Maxpowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaxpowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaxpowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaxpowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaxpowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaxpowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaxpowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaxpowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaxpowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaxpowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaxpowers has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by joseluismb
let me know if it works
I always take Tuesdays off, but I'll definitely play on Wednesday and will try doing what you suggest. I really hope it works cause I have a great forehand that I feel like I can do anything with. My backhand used to be solid, but it was so good that people never used to hit to it and now I have trouble moving to that side and judging where to position my body when I hit the shot.

Hopefully with both of your suggestions I'll be able to get my shot back on track.
Maxpowers is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 08:48 PM   #6
country flag joseluismb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpowers
I really hope it works cause I have a great forehand that I feel like I can do anything with. .
Do you have a goo forehand? Think a little.... if your problem is that you're hitting the backhand too close to your body, but you have a great FH...turn around your backhand and hit with your forehand as much as you can! (once again, this implies better footwork).

Just like Younes el Aynaoui (sp?) used to do: he avoided his backhand most of the times and hit forehands. This way you will only hit backhands when the ball is not close to your body and is too away you can't run over it. Thus, when you hit bakhands, they'll be at a good distance from your body.

Old 03-15-2005, 11:10 PM   #7
country flag Domino

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Actually, don't let the ball get out to the left, you want to be able to stroke through the ball. There should be no pulling involved. Your power on the shot comes from the extension of the left arm; the right arm is just an indicator of direction.

Try instead, swinging the racquet back earlier than you do now, like a second earlier and extend into the ball in front of you.