Summer Clay Season Thursday - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 07-18-2013, 06:06 AM   #1
country flag Drew K

Drew K has a reputation beyond reputeDrew K has a reputation beyond reputeDrew K has a reputation beyond reputeDrew K has a reputation beyond reputeDrew K has a reputation beyond reputeDrew K has a reputation beyond reputeDrew K has a reputation beyond reputeDrew K has a reputation beyond reputeDrew K has a reputation beyond reputeDrew K has a reputation beyond reputeDrew K has a reputation beyond repute
Default Summer Clay Season Thursday

Paire @ 2.25
Hogenkamp @ 4.00
Drew K is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2013, 10:29 AM   #2
country flag desigundah

desigundah has a reputation beyond reputedesigundah has a reputation beyond reputedesigundah has a reputation beyond reputedesigundah has a reputation beyond reputedesigundah has a reputation beyond reputedesigundah has a reputation beyond reputedesigundah has a reputation beyond reputedesigundah has a reputation beyond reputedesigundah has a reputation beyond reputedesigundah has a reputation beyond reputedesigundah has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Summer Clay Season Thursday

Its been a couple years ladies and gents but this looked just too good to pass up! Granola bar has had a tough couple of matches but the 3-1 h2h is appealing and Fog has had a long couple weeks.

Marcel Granollers in play 6.50
to beat Fabio Fognini
desigundah is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 11:23 AM   #3
country flag desigundah

desigundah has a reputation beyond reputedesigundah has a reputation beyond reputedesigundah has a reputation beyond reputedesigundah has a reputation beyond reputedesigundah has a reputation beyond reputedesigundah has a reputation beyond reputedesigundah has a reputation beyond reputedesigundah has a reputation beyond reputedesigundah has a reputation beyond reputedesigundah has a reputation beyond reputedesigundah has a reputation beyond repute

GOAT -6 games over Jan Swine Hajek
New racquet (Fed had the smallest racquet on tour BY FAR for 11 years where in 2002 ironically enough he went from an 85 to 90 here at Hamburg) which gives Fed a 98 square inch racquet instead of the 90 along with a 7 week dirt hiatus probabaly explains going the distance against Brands (the same guy who took a set off of Rafa at Roland Garros). After that first set where Federer literally went from being in control to facing down *5-3, the world #5 (lol) looked splendid. Dominated service games and hit the ball as sweetly as I've seen him the entire 2013 campaign (which isn't saying much but he did make the semis in Melbourne and the finals in Rome). I look for Fed to sweep through this entire week dominating this relatively respectable field en route to his 78th career title, although I am still baffled at his decision to commit to play 2 clay court tournaments just 3 weeks away from AMS Montreal and just 6 weeks away from the US Open. Why not play Bogata (I know he's had tons of success in Hamburg, I know they pay 3x what Bogata pays, I know they probably paid him a ton in appearance fees and I know that Hamburg is an ATP 500 whereas Bogota is an ATP 250)? The ONLY thing that should matter for Roger at this point is winning slams so I don't know how playing a clay court tournament on the heels of the final grand slam which is played on hard courts makes any sense. I understand he wants to bash a few skulls after losing to Sergey Stakhovsy of all people inside of his own living room but I seriously have no clue how playing Hamburg and Gstaad are going to boost his US Open chances in the least bit. You're not going to be facing Tommy Haas or Nic Almagro in the semis or the finals in Flushing Meadows so you may as well get the practice on a surface where it matters.

Play Bogota (I'm sure they'll give you an absolutely massive appearance fee), collect the essentially automatic 250 ATP points and some confidence on hard courts and then play Atlanta. Another small tournament that would break the bank in appearance fees and would give him some competition he might potentially see in the round of 16 or maybe even QF action in the likes of Fish, Hewitt, Isner, Querrey, Haas, Anderson, and Gulbis.

AMS1000 events are unforgiving and especially now that he's going to be entering Montreal as a 5 seed theres no guarantee that he's going to get ANY easy matches there to get acclimated to the surface. Just my 2 cents, seems like Roger is way, way past thinking about going to a tournament that's going to pay him more just to show up rather than going and playing at a tournament that will prepare him for the final slam of the year. Maybe I'm wrong. Actually I'm definitely wrong.

Lalo 2.37 over Flo Ma

Lalo had a forgettable clay court campaign (2-3) which we all thought was mercifully over after a 1,5,4 beat down by compatriot David Ferrer in Roland Garros. Lopez though came back strong and had an excellent grass court run going 11-2 losing only to top 12 playes Marin Cilic and Tommy Haas and adding his 1st title of the year and the 3rd of his career in Eastbourne.

Appearance fees though do a lot of talking especially for guys ranked in the 30's or worse (I remember in late 2011 Lalo was on fire making the semis of Shanghai and then not playing an ATP tournament but instead playing a challenger in Orleans because they paid him a SIX FIGURE appearance fee. He promptly bowed out in the first round at Orleans in the first round in straight sets to Arnaud Clement). I was very shocked to not see Lalo continue his white hot form on grass in Newport last week and then take a week off before playing Atlanta, DC and then Montreal but I guess Lalo set his eyes on a potentially bigger prize and decided to stay in Europe to play Hamburg and Gstaad.

Nando Verdasco 1.87 over the anorexic Ivan Drago

Nando is too hot atm to fade against this big goofball at the moment. Just like how he told Raonic 2 years ago on the heels of back to back hard court losses "We'll see when I play him later on the year on clay where real tennis is played", I'm sure he'll also teach the clumsy Pole a lesson on clay as well, where of course, "real tennis is played".

Haas 1.41 over Warlock

The former should be ashamed for losing in a final to Carlos Berlocq but unless Haas has two broken legs he's not losing to this South African bum especially at home. My site refunds retirements fyi.
Old 07-18-2013, 11:32 AM   #4
country flag LSD

LSD has a reputation beyond reputeLSD has a reputation beyond reputeLSD has a reputation beyond reputeLSD has a reputation beyond reputeLSD has a reputation beyond reputeLSD has a reputation beyond reputeLSD has a reputation beyond reputeLSD has a reputation beyond reputeLSD has a reputation beyond reputeLSD has a reputation beyond reputeLSD has a reputation beyond repute

Lopez +3,5
Verdasco
Berlocq takes set

Win , Lose or Tie , GAMBLING till I
die !
LSD is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 11:56 AM   #5
country flag LSD

LSD has a reputation beyond reputeLSD has a reputation beyond reputeLSD has a reputation beyond reputeLSD has a reputation beyond reputeLSD has a reputation beyond reputeLSD has a reputation beyond reputeLSD has a reputation beyond reputeLSD has a reputation beyond reputeLSD has a reputation beyond reputeLSD has a reputation beyond reputeLSD has a reputation beyond repute

Good previews desigundah,not like those mebit's nonsense crap

die !
Old 07-18-2013, 12:10 PM   #6
country flag Rafador

Rafador has a reputation beyond reputeRafador has a reputation beyond reputeRafador has a reputation beyond reputeRafador has a reputation beyond reputeRafador has a reputation beyond reputeRafador has a reputation beyond reputeRafador has a reputation beyond reputeRafador has a reputation beyond reputeRafador has a reputation beyond reputeRafador has a reputation beyond reputeRafador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by desigundah View Post
Haas 1.41 over Warlock

The former should be ashamed for losing in a final to Carlos Berlocq but unless Haas has two broken legs he's not losing to this South African bum especially at home. My site refunds retirements fyi.
Haas is losing momentum since Halle, Berlocq could produce the upset if the German doesn't play his best. However, I'm not sure how tired the Argentine is, after his Bastad run.
Rafador is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 01:11 PM   #7
country flag Drew K

Drew K has a reputation beyond reputeDrew K has a reputation beyond reputeDrew K has a reputation beyond reputeDrew K has a reputation beyond reputeDrew K has a reputation beyond reputeDrew K has a reputation beyond reputeDrew K has a reputation beyond reputeDrew K has a reputation beyond reputeDrew K has a reputation beyond reputeDrew K has a reputation beyond reputeDrew K has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew K View Post
Paire @ 2.25
Hogenkamp @ 4.00
Lost
Win
Drew K is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 06:26 PM   #8
country flag desigundah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafador View Post
Haas is losing momentum since Halle, Berlocq could produce the upset if the German doesn't play his best. However, I'm not sure how tired the Argentine is, after his Bastad run.
Round of 16 at Wimbledon before succumbing to the world #1 after Halle. He won 9 of 10 sets at Wimbledon before that including a pretty standard beating of Lalo Lopez who was on fire during the grass court campaign sporting an 11-1 record on the surface before taking a thorough thumping on the hands of Haas.

Yes, he's had a few early round exits where he'll tell you himself he should have won (Fognini QF of home nation Stuttgart although its worth mentioning Fog won that tournament and is again into the QF of Hamburg this week but gets to exact revenge on that Italian as they play a rematch tomorrow). He had to give Nieminen the walkover in Dusseldorf ( someone he owns 3-1 career h2h against) due to an undisclosed injury. He lost to Youzhny in the first round in straights in Rome. The loss to Berankis in Houston Haas will tell you was bitterly disappointing because Tommy resides in the US and almost considers tournaments played in that nation also as "home court advantage", but the real one that Haas really is regretting is leaving a potential plethora of ranking points (and race to London points) on the table with his first round exit at the Australian Open losing 8-6 in the 5th set just shy of 4 hours to Nieminen, a guy he had never lost to before. The draw opened up nicely for Tommy there too as he would have drawn Dodig next and Gasquet after that followed by a potential showdown with Tsonga in the round of 16. Haas would have been a heavy favorite over Dodig and is 2-2 against Gasquet while being 2-1 against Tsonga. Some of those numbers are a bad reference point since Gasquet and Tsonga weren't in their primes at the time and really Haas has barely ever played better tennis than he is now (sans 2002 and 2007) but I would have liked to see him pick up some much needed points down under.

I would absolutely LOVE to see Haas in London. We've already seen him beat Djokovic earlier this year on a slow hard court (which actually favors the Serb), he's 1-2 against Murray lifetime but hasn't played him in over 5 years and I think that would be a mouth watering matchup indoors at the O2 (although I think playing there previously worked against Murray but now he'll feed off of the energy big time), he's 0-5 against Nadal and hasn't won a set against the Spaniard (Nadal has won all 12 sets they've played), but with how Haas has been playing this year and how Nadal has struggled of late I think that would be anyone's match. He took Roger to 3 this year in Halle and he beat him there in the final last year. Haas is 0-4 against Ferrer but took him the distance twice this year at Miami where Ferrer was a finalist and in Madrid where Ferrer had the pro spanish crowd against him. Against Berdych Haas is 2-2 but aside from their 2012 tilt in Halle that Tommy took in 3 they hadn't played in 6 years and both guys were different players then. To round up the final top 8 in the race to London ATM, Del Potro owns a 4-0 record against Haas and he, just like Nadal, hasn't conceded a set.

It may seem like I'm one of the biggest Haas supporters out there but I actually couldn't stand the guy up until this year. Bandwagon? Maybe, although I remember hating him back in 2007 which is when I first started watching tennis. I hated how he acted on the court and I vividly remember Gonzo kicking his ass down under in the semis of the 07 Australian Open. I remember him playing a couple months later at Indian Wells against Gonzo and actually backing Gonzo because at the time both of those hard courts were similar since they're both incredibly slow but that 2 month break was enough for Gonzo to cool down and Haas took him to the woodshed. After that I remember a match he played against Murray where he was up a set and a break before Murray called an injury timeout and acted like by some random stroke of mother nature he broke his back randomly. Haas was so irked and irritated by how Murray was acting after every point he lost (like he was literally going to be needed to be taken off the court on a stretcher) that he lost his nerve and basically gifted the match.

I was so sick of seeing this guy accepting wild cards and playing qualifiers last year where he sucked so bad ..... I was so ready for him to retire. But how can you not cheer for this guy? What an absolutely incredible story. Everyone talked about how he should have retired a couple years ago but he kept fighting, kept battling, gave it every ounce of blood, sweat, tears, heart and soul he had to the game. You compare him to guys James Blake (I am a James Blake fan) who's basically been begging for wild cards and has been accepting them the last 3 years even though he hasn't even made a SEMI FINAL of an ATP 250 or better (and clearly you can tell why his game has slipped, he's simply fat for a tennis player and severely out of shape for a professional athlete in a sport that requires you to move). You look at punks like Davydenko who have no real respect for the game just want to hold on as long as possible to get paid (guy skipped Wimbledon for God knows what logical reason), guys like Gael Monfils who have so much talent but really don't have the heart and desire to be great, guys like Bernard Tomic who have never worked hard a day in their life, and, I hate to say it, but a guy like Andy Roddick (yes I know he owns a slam and Haas doesn't) who call it quits at age 30 because they just aren't willing to embrace the grind anymore.

Haas is 35, he's playing in the golden era of tennis where 4 of possibly the 10-15 greatest players ever are playing (definitely 2 of the top 4 ever) and he's just on the outskirts of the top 10 dueling with these guys and pushing them to the limit whenever he gets the chance.

I would pay big money just to see Tommy Haas crack the single race to London top 8 even if its just on the tube. No one deserves it more and I think he has a legitimate shot, once there, to give us some mouth watering tennis.
Old 07-19-2013, 05:46 PM   #9
country flag LSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSD View Post
Lopez +3,5
Verdasco
Berlocq takes set
LVL

die !