Deb makes apperance on ESPN Chat - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 03-07-2005, 11:21 PM   #1
country flag Fumus

Fumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond repute
Default Deb makes apperance on ESPN Chat

Debra (Los Angeles): Hi John! Excited to hear you commentate this weekend's tie. How will you feel calling a tie where your brother is the captain?

John McEnroe: It's going to be great. He has done a great job and slid into this position well. He can juggle the players, working with the USTA, the press, everything. He also does a good job with commentary. He knows I will get on him a bit! He knows I still love him though.

anyone have a full transcript of the convo?
That's the gospel.
Fumus is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2005, 11:32 PM   #2
country flag Flushing_Ace

Flushing_Ace has a reputation beyond reputeFlushing_Ace has a reputation beyond reputeFlushing_Ace has a reputation beyond reputeFlushing_Ace has a reputation beyond reputeFlushing_Ace has a reputation beyond reputeFlushing_Ace has a reputation beyond reputeFlushing_Ace has a reputation beyond reputeFlushing_Ace has a reputation beyond reputeFlushing_Ace has a reputation beyond reputeFlushing_Ace has a reputation beyond reputeFlushing_Ace has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Deb makes apperance on ESPN Chat

BUZZMASTER
Hellooooooooo! Buzz is very excited to announce that John McEnroe will be here shortly! How cool is that? Send your questions now!
JOHN MCENROE
Hello! I'm quite excited about being involved in Davis Cup again. The last time Agassi played was when I was captin in the QFinals in L.A. I am very proud to be part of this process again and be part of this group of people that really care about the Davis Cup. This should be a very highly competitive first round match. It should bode well for interest this weekend!

Debra (Los Angeles)
Hi John! Excited to hear you commentate this weekend's tie. How will you feel calling a tie where your brother is the captain?
JOHN MCENROE
It's going to be great. He has done a great job and slid into this position well. He can juggle the players, working with the USTA, the press, everything. He also does a good job with commentary. He knows I will get on him a bit! He knows I still love him though.

Jason
How big of a challeng do you think Croatia poses this weekend?
JOHN MCENROE
They are a very challening team. They have Ljubicic who has been in two finals already this year. They also have Ancic who is a very talented player. Ancic got to the semis of Wimbledon last year and is a dangerous serve-volley player. They will present quite a challenge. But we have two of the top players in the world to take them on. The edge goes to our guys because they are fresher but it will be a dangerous match. Croatia has to win a couple matches to stay in the competition. Makes life complicated for them. Will they be dangerous? Yes. No question.

Chris (Boston)
Was Borg your greatest challenger?
JOHN MCENROE
When I look back, he was the person who brought out the most excitement and the most fun to play. It was happening in the early part of my career and it seemed like he was THE guy when I was coming up. He was already the top guy along with Connors. The contract made for a perfect fit. I've said often, he was the only player I didn't have a problem with on or off the court. I was sad to see him retire as early as he did.

Bill (NY, NY)
How many games would you take off Federer in a SuperSet format? Your level of play against Ancic and Murry in the UK SuperSet was unbelievable.
JOHN MCENROE
I played real well there. I work hard and keep myself in good shape. I'm good for about two sets. So I believe if Federer played well, he could do what he wanted with me. But if it was quick court, I could still do some things. I have experience obviously and place the ball well. If you have enough of that, you can pose a challenge. But he is a fantastic player who can hit any shot.

Jackson
What is your biggest pet peeve, off the tennis court? What makes you say ''You cannot be serious!'' other than a bad line call?
JOHN MCENROE
People that yawn without putting their hands on their mouth. People that come up to me and the first thing they say is smile. That is a pet peeve of mine. The imtinamtion is that something is already wrong. Or ''I don't mean to bother you.'' I would rather they say ''I'm going to bother you.'' You don't have to preface it.

david (springfield,mo
how long will roger f. stay pretty much unbeatable?
JOHN MCENROE
I don't think anyone stays unbeatable. That is the beauty of sports. If one of the top players can lift his game, he is beatable. It took all Safin had but he did it. Will he win more majors and stay at the top? Yes. But that doesn't mean he will win all the time.

Bill (NY, NY)
What do you think of the Majorsoffering 2 wildcards for each tournament to the games legends? Is it too physically demanding to play 5 sets after being retired? Adding you and Becker to the Wimbledon Draw would be a lot more interesting than watching some of these fringe players that round out the draw.
JOHN MCENROE
They can already do that. They could offer 8 if they want. I would love it. The difficulty for me is I can play good tennis for 2, maybe 3 sets. But mentally the concentration for a 5 set match and the physical demands leads me to belive it it best for me to be in the commentary booth. But I appreciate the thought.
JOHN MCENROE
Some wonder why I don't play a tournament, but if I play a tournament I want to play a big tournament. But those are 5 sets and it complicates things.

Art Jupiter, FL
Hey John, congrats on your new job at espn. Can you explain why the matches on Sunday aren't on until 11pm eastern? Those could be huge matches. Too bad nobody will watch at that hour. Maybe you can use your pull w/ the espn execs to give tennis some respect.
JOHN MCENROE
I agree 100 percent. It should be live. That would be best. Unfortunately ESPN just doesn't feel the numbers will be as good as whatever else is on. It's too bad. Tennis needs to address these issues. It does take away from the game, and tennis players would rather have it life. But the game needs to be marketed and discussions need to take place to get it live. Maybe we can start it later. People want to see live stuff. Every option should be explored.

Augie, Middletown CT
John, I read your book a while back and loved it. You're obviously a big music fan: What is your favorite Rush album and song, and which of Patty's songs could you listen to over and over and not get tired of hearing?
JOHN MCENROE
My favorite Rush song is Limelight. I believe Rush should be in the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame.

Jesse Small, West Chester PA
Given that Federer has brought artistry back into the mens' game, would you still push for them to go back to wood rackets?
JOHN MCENROE
Without a question. The artistry would be even better. You would see this amount of artistry get even bigger. I did a Dunlop appearance and they gave me some wood rackets.. they look like squash rackets. People would be amazed to see what these guys could do with these things.

Erik (Dallas)
Do you think Agassi is going to retire this year, maybe after US Open?
JOHN MCENROE
Andre loves to play still. If he believes he has a chance and he feels he does, I don't think he will retire. But he will be 35 next month and that makes it quite difficult. But he has stayed in great shape and hits as well as anyone. It will be more difficult to win for sure. But if anyone can do it, it's Andre. Personally, I don't see him retiring at the Open.

Erich (Los Angeles)
Are you in favor of instant replay on line calls. How do you see that impacting the game in the future?
JOHN MCENROE
Prefacing it by saying the equipment is not that sound yet. Am I in favor? Yes. It adds a level of excitement to the game. Also lets the umpires off the hook a bit. If it is done properly with restrictions, it could be quite interesting to see players decide whether to use it or not.

Fred (Boston)
Hey Mac,Any more movie cameos planned? Great scene in that last sandler flick.
JOHN MCENROE
I have one potential one. I can't speak of it yet, it's not signed. Cameos are fun. But my goal is to do a cameo where I'm not myself.

alex (eldoraod Kansas)
John, Do you think you could have bete Roger F. if the two of you were on the top of your games? What would have been the most difficult aspect of his game to conquer
JOHN MCENROE
The most difficult aspect is his versatility. He can attack if he needs to. He can hit every shot. I'd like to think in my prime he would feel a lot of intensity from me. It would be difficult to imagine winning even half the matches. But I would give him a match.

Bradley (Phila, PA)
John, Are you still tight with the Rolling Stones after all these years?
JOHN MCENROE
It depends what you consider tight. We are still friends. I don't see them often but we are still friendly. When I go around playing, people ask me and I say I want to be the Rolling Stones of tennis.

Gil (Philadelphia)
Is Roddick mentally strong enough to be #1 in the world?
JOHN MCENROE
Remind yourself that he finished No. 1 awhile back and did win the US Open. He is very strong mentally. He has run into a situation where a guy has grown in confidence and his game has really matured to where he has distanced himself from Andy. On some level it has rattled Andy. But it's not hard to see why. Maybe he hasn't advanced as much as he would have liked in the last year. A guy that is that good has to be strong mentally.

Alec (Sacramento, Ca)
Is their anything in your career that you regret you never accomplished.
JOHN MCENROE
From a professional level, there was a period in the 80s I wanted to show people I could win the French. That is the biggest disappointment. I could have accomplished that and put a notch in my belt to compare to all the greats. Sampras is an all time great and he didn't win it either. You never know that that would have meant, had I won it then. Hindsight is 20-20! Thanks for chatting! Turn on the TV and watch some tennis this weekend!

"Someone asked me ‘What would Roddick be ranked without his big serve?’
I said, ‘Relevance? Are you going to take a fast ball away from Roger Clemens?
You can't take the biggest strength away from a player and judge him. Their entire
game would be built differently. If you took Roddick's serve away from him, he's a
champion and he'd find a way to win without it.’"
- Jim Courier
+ + +
+ Good luck to the USA Davis Cup Team +

Flushing_Ace is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 11:42 PM   #3
country flag Carito_90

Carito_90 has a reputation beyond reputeCarito_90 has a reputation beyond reputeCarito_90 has a reputation beyond reputeCarito_90 has a reputation beyond reputeCarito_90 has a reputation beyond reputeCarito_90 has a reputation beyond reputeCarito_90 has a reputation beyond reputeCarito_90 has a reputation beyond reputeCarito_90 has a reputation beyond reputeCarito_90 has a reputation beyond reputeCarito_90 has a reputation beyond repute

Yay Deb! Was about time a MTF member did an apperance in one of those chats
Carito_90 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 11:54 PM   #4
country flag andyroxmysox12191

andyroxmysox12191 has a reputation beyond reputeandyroxmysox12191 has a reputation beyond reputeandyroxmysox12191 has a reputation beyond reputeandyroxmysox12191 has a reputation beyond reputeandyroxmysox12191 has a reputation beyond reputeandyroxmysox12191 has a reputation beyond reputeandyroxmysox12191 has a reputation beyond reputeandyroxmysox12191 has a reputation beyond reputeandyroxmysox12191 has a reputation beyond reputeandyroxmysox12191 has a reputation beyond reputeandyroxmysox12191 has a reputation beyond repute

That IS our Deb right?
Old 03-07-2005, 11:58 PM   #5
country flag Deboogle!.
Vamos Mandy :)

Deboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond repute

uuuuhhhhhh :retard:

to (in no particular order): BryOns | Mandy | MarTy | Isner | Dent | Querrey | Baghdatis | Delic | Oli | N&o | Gasquet | Ferrero | Levine | Malisse | LUX | Melzer | Moya | Nishikori | Haas | Grosjean | Ancic | Mathieu | Calleri | Bolelli | Sela | Blake | more...
Deboogle!. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 12:00 AM   #6
country flag Carito_90

Carito_90 has a reputation beyond reputeCarito_90 has a reputation beyond reputeCarito_90 has a reputation beyond reputeCarito_90 has a reputation beyond reputeCarito_90 has a reputation beyond reputeCarito_90 has a reputation beyond reputeCarito_90 has a reputation beyond reputeCarito_90 has a reputation beyond reputeCarito_90 has a reputation beyond reputeCarito_90 has a reputation beyond reputeCarito_90 has a reputation beyond repute

uh...

Carito_90 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 12:25 AM   #7
country flag tangerine_dream
Last dance, Andy

tangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond repute

No one told us Jace made an appearance at this chat, too.

Jackson
What is your biggest pet peeve, off the tennis court? What makes you say ''You cannot be serious!'' other than a bad line call?
"What kind of shape am I in now? Well round is a shape." said Roddick with a laugh. "I had a very detailed retirement plan, and I feel like I've met every aspect of it: a lot of golf, a lot of carbs, a lot of fried food, and some booze, occasionally — I've been completely committed ... The results have shown."

Mugs Tennis Forums
tangerine_dream is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 12:30 AM   #8
country flag Tytta!.
(:

Tytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond repute

I thought the same, Tangy
Tytta!. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 12:32 AM   #9
country flag Deboogle!.

Deboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond repute

good one, tangy

Because as I said when the chat first happened last week - surely there is only one person in LA named Debra who's a tennis fan.

to (in no particular order): BryOns | Mandy | MarTy | Isner | Dent | Querrey | Baghdatis | Delic | Oli | N&o | Gasquet | Ferrero | Levine | Malisse | LUX | Melzer | Moya | Nishikori | Haas | Grosjean | Ancic | Mathieu | Calleri | Bolelli | Sela | Blake | more...
Old 03-08-2005, 12:36 AM   #10
country flag Tytta!.
(:

Tytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debstah
Because as I said when the chat first happened last week - surely there is only one person in LA named Debra who's a tennis fan.
Well Deb is Deb therefore no other Deb is allowed to be on earth.

Words of God Carlos
Old 03-08-2005, 12:37 AM   #11

andyroxmysox12191 has a reputation beyond reputeandyroxmysox12191 has a reputation beyond reputeandyroxmysox12191 has a reputation beyond reputeandyroxmysox12191 has a reputation beyond reputeandyroxmysox12191 has a reputation beyond reputeandyroxmysox12191 has a reputation beyond reputeandyroxmysox12191 has a reputation beyond reputeandyroxmysox12191 has a reputation beyond reputeandyroxmysox12191 has a reputation beyond reputeandyroxmysox12191 has a reputation beyond reputeandyroxmysox12191 has a reputation beyond repute

I knew it wasn't you I was like...that is WAY too bubbly for Deb. The writing just seemed off to me lmao. I think I talk to you way too much deb
Old 03-08-2005, 12:38 AM   #12
country flag Deboogle!.

Renata!!!!!! You're so cute.

Mani, I never said it wasn't me, I just said it's entirely possible that there are a million other people it could be.

I'm being mysterious

Old 03-08-2005, 12:42 AM   #13
country flag Tytta!.
(:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debstah
Renata!!!!!! You're so cute.
I'm just spreading the love of God Carlos

You know I heart you!
Old 03-08-2005, 12:42 AM   #14

Deb.....tell me that wasn't you
Old 03-08-2005, 12:48 AM   #15
country flag avocadoe

avocadoe has a reputation beyond reputeavocadoe has a reputation beyond reputeavocadoe has a reputation beyond reputeavocadoe has a reputation beyond reputeavocadoe has a reputation beyond reputeavocadoe has a reputation beyond reputeavocadoe has a reputation beyond reputeavocadoe has a reputation beyond reputeavocadoe has a reputation beyond reputeavocadoe has a reputation beyond reputeavocadoe has a reputation beyond repute

thanks for the espn chat...gogogodeb
avocadoe is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote