I think Roddick is losing it mentally - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 03-07-2005, 09:59 PM   #1
country flag JCF

JCF has a reputation beyond reputeJCF has a reputation beyond reputeJCF has a reputation beyond reputeJCF has a reputation beyond reputeJCF has a reputation beyond reputeJCF has a reputation beyond reputeJCF has a reputation beyond reputeJCF has a reputation beyond reputeJCF has a reputation beyond reputeJCF has a reputation beyond reputeJCF has a reputation beyond repute
Default I think Roddick is losing it mentally

In the past few months he's really tanked alot of matches, and given up on matches he wouldn't have done in 2003. I mean he got bagelled in the bangkok final (i know he was kinda injured), his performance against Hewitt at the Masters Cup was terrible. Then after 3 greats sets of tennis against Hewitt at Oz he just totally faded, and now this loss to Ljubicic.

I'm getting a bit concerned about Roddick, whats up with him, he's supposed to be a fighter.
JCF is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2005, 10:01 PM   #2
country flag El Legenda
Not a Registered User

El Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I think Roddick is losing it mentally

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCF
In the past few months he's really tanked alot of matches, and given up on matches he wouldn't have done in 2003. I mean he got bagelled in the bangkok final (i know he was kinda injured), his performance against Hewitt at the Masters Cup was terrible. Then after 3 greats sets of tennis against Hewitt at Oz he just totally faded, and now this loss to Ljubicic.

I'm getting a bit concerned about Roddick, whats up with him, he's supposed to be a fighter.
to cocky...thinks that the serve will win every match....

If you watched his match vs Ljubo on ESPN2..before the match Ljubo said i know i can beat him..he does not change anything about his game..after few matchs you noticed the game and he does not make changes..
Old 03-07-2005, 10:08 PM   #3
country flag Horatio Caine
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Horatio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond repute

The aura about him has definitely worn thin...he was way too strong for anyone in summer 2003 but gradually players have got more used to his game over the last 12 or 18 months because he has done little to improve or diversify.

I wouldn't read too much into it...Hewitt is awkward for most players, Ljubo is on fire and was undoubtedly going to be dangerous especially as their last meetings were so close. But Federer...he won't touch him.

Unless Andy modifies his game for the better e.g. serve and volley or something more attacking after the serve, he won't do much better and other players will overtake him. As i said some months ago he is not a top 3 player anymore, and to be honest...he isn't a top 5 player anymore either.
Horatio Caine is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 10:10 PM   #4
country flag adeegee

adeegee has a reputation beyond reputeadeegee has a reputation beyond reputeadeegee has a reputation beyond reputeadeegee has a reputation beyond reputeadeegee has a reputation beyond reputeadeegee has a reputation beyond reputeadeegee has a reputation beyond reputeadeegee has a reputation beyond reputeadeegee has a reputation beyond reputeadeegee has a reputation beyond reputeadeegee has a reputation beyond repute

I actually think thats a very valid point. The first time I decided I really liked him was when he beat Chang at the FO. He was cramping in the 5th set like mad but showed amazing guts to win it. Then I started following him closely, and he often showed brilliant fighting qualities to win matches he probably shouldn't have. But all of a sudden he seems to show a bit of a lack of effort at times, even when its a huge match. The Davis Cup final against Nadal for example, a match everyone knew he had to win, he just stopped chasing balls after a while, whereas Nadal was reaching absolutely everything.

I used to associate Roddick with the phrase, "he leaves it all out on the court, win or lose." i'm not sure if that still stands with him.
adeegee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 10:14 PM   #5
country flag onewoman74

onewoman74 has a reputation beyond reputeonewoman74 has a reputation beyond reputeonewoman74 has a reputation beyond reputeonewoman74 has a reputation beyond reputeonewoman74 has a reputation beyond reputeonewoman74 has a reputation beyond reputeonewoman74 has a reputation beyond reputeonewoman74 has a reputation beyond reputeonewoman74 has a reputation beyond reputeonewoman74 has a reputation beyond reputeonewoman74 has a reputation beyond repute

Hasn't this talk of Roddick modifying his game kinda of old now?...he hasn't done much to improve his game- other than change his coach. When is this change going to occur? Players are on to his game and I think deep down he knows it. That could be a reason for his lackluster performances.
Old 03-07-2005, 10:15 PM   #6
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Horatio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a little concerned about his fitness...he has suffered a few niggling injuries to his serving arm...is the serve causing him the damage that could be expected later on in his career? That might explain the lack of effort in the latter stages of matches...his arm is a little dead / heavy / sore?

Of course this may just be a little mental burnout that has caught up with him all of a sudden e.g. from summer and winter 2003 and last year. He plays so many matches...but there again many other players do.

Did Dent steal all his beer while he was on DC duty? Withdrawal symptoms still persisting? Gee Andy - rapidly running out of options!
Old 03-07-2005, 10:15 PM   #7
country flag adeegee

adeegee has a reputation beyond reputeadeegee has a reputation beyond reputeadeegee has a reputation beyond reputeadeegee has a reputation beyond reputeadeegee has a reputation beyond reputeadeegee has a reputation beyond reputeadeegee has a reputation beyond reputeadeegee has a reputation beyond reputeadeegee has a reputation beyond reputeadeegee has a reputation beyond reputeadeegee has a reputation beyond repute

If he's gonna come to the net he needs to change his racquet. FACT!
Old 03-07-2005, 10:16 PM   #8
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by adeegee
If he's gonna come to the net he needs to change his racquet. FACT!
"If he's gonna come to the net he needs to change" his brain. REALITY!
Old 03-07-2005, 10:18 PM   #9
country flag Carito_90

Carito_90 has a reputation beyond reputeCarito_90 has a reputation beyond reputeCarito_90 has a reputation beyond reputeCarito_90 has a reputation beyond reputeCarito_90 has a reputation beyond reputeCarito_90 has a reputation beyond reputeCarito_90 has a reputation beyond reputeCarito_90 has a reputation beyond reputeCarito_90 has a reputation beyond reputeCarito_90 has a reputation beyond reputeCarito_90 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that Captain Obvious.

(Sorry I had to .)
Carito_90 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 10:19 PM   #10
country flag adeegee

Quote:
Originally Posted by jez
I'm a little concerned about his fitness...he has suffered a few niggling injuries to his serving arm
I actually think its his actual fitness, lasting a long match which should be called into question. Last years AO, lost the 5th set to Safin when should've won after taking 4th. Last years FO, tanked the 5th set against Mutis when the draw had opened up nicely for a decent run. US Open, somehow lost the 5th set when he looked in total command after coming from 2-0 down to johansson. Davis Cup Final, looked absolutely dead on clay in the 4th set. Yesterday, really should've beaten a jaded Ljubicic after taking the 4th set, but tanks the 5th
Old 03-07-2005, 10:21 PM   #11
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
I actually think its his actual fitness, lasting a long match which should be called into question. Last years AO, lost the 5th set to Safin when should've won after taking 4th. Last years FO, tanked the 5th set against Mutis when the draw had opened up nicely for a decent run. US Open, somehow lost the 5th set when he looked in total command after coming from 2-0 down to johansson. Davis Cup Final, looked absolutely dead on clay in the 4th set. Yesterday, really should've beaten a jaded Ljubicic after taking the 4th set, but tanks the 5th
Yeah - great points. Didn't think of some of those matches. I always thought his fitness was questionable anyway...he seemed to get through some of the matches on pure adrenaline and determination before...now all that seems to be lacking as you say...and he is left with just raw fitness..or lack of it.
Old 03-07-2005, 10:21 PM   #12
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Maybe he left his brain at the Blackjack table?
Old 03-07-2005, 10:22 PM   #13
country flag federer express

federer express has a reputation beyond reputefederer express has a reputation beyond reputefederer express has a reputation beyond reputefederer express has a reputation beyond reputefederer express has a reputation beyond reputefederer express has a reputation beyond reputefederer express has a reputation beyond reputefederer express has a reputation beyond reputefederer express has a reputation beyond reputefederer express has a reputation beyond reputefederer express has a reputation beyond repute

i think adeegee is losing it...mentally!
federer express is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 10:26 PM   #14
country flag adeegee

Quote:
Originally Posted by federer express
i think adeegee is losing it...mentally!

i think i've been wound up by the billions of croatians who have suddenly appeared on the board.....

but seriously, another thing, of all the players that should be able to last 5 set matches it should be him, seeing as he gets more cheap points on his serve than any other player. all his matches are pretty short because of this. plus he's got the former ATP tour trainer in his camp so there really is no excuse for him to be unfit
Old 03-07-2005, 10:28 PM   #15
country flag federer express

federer express has a reputation beyond reputefederer express has a reputation beyond reputefederer express has a reputation beyond reputefederer express has a reputation beyond reputefederer express has a reputation beyond reputefederer express has a reputation beyond reputefederer express has a reputation beyond reputefederer express has a reputation beyond reputefederer express has a reputation beyond reputefederer express has a reputation beyond reputefederer express has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

i think i've been wound up by the billions of croatians who have suddenly appeared on the board.....

but seriously, another thing, of all the players that should be able to last 5 set matches it should be him, seeing as he gets more cheap points on his serve than any other player. all his matches are pretty short because of this. plus he's got the former ATP tour trainer in his camp so there really is no excuse for him to be unfit
wasn't chatting about your tennis views. had more to do with your popstar comments
federer express is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote