THE HAMBURG THREAD SF: Delbonis def Federer 7-6(6) 7-6(4) - Page 39 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 07-20-2013, 03:29 PM   #571
country flag Kyle_Johansen

Kyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: THE HAMBURG THREAD SF: Delbonis def Federer 7-6(6) 7-6(4)

Disappointing, but I feel the match would have been different had a few points gone his way. Delbonis may be outside the top 100 but he's certainly much better than that. I don't even think Fed played badly.
6) Rosewall 7) Agassi 8) Lendl 9) Connors 10) McEnroe
Top 10 favourite all-time list
1) Federer 2) Safin 3) Agassi 4) Sampras 5) Edberg
6) Lendl 7) Haas 8) Hewitt 9) Connors 10) Becker
Kyle_Johansen is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2013, 03:40 PM   #572
country flag Julián Santiago

Julián Santiago has a reputation beyond reputeJulián Santiago has a reputation beyond reputeJulián Santiago has a reputation beyond reputeJulián Santiago has a reputation beyond reputeJulián Santiago has a reputation beyond reputeJulián Santiago has a reputation beyond reputeJulián Santiago has a reputation beyond reputeJulián Santiago has a reputation beyond reputeJulián Santiago has a reputation beyond reputeJulián Santiago has a reputation beyond reputeJulián Santiago has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle_Johansen View Post
Disappointing, but I feel the match would have been different had a few points gone his way. Delbonis may be outside the top 100 but he's certainly much better than that. I don't even think Fed played badly.
Man, Roger could be doble bagelled and you will say that he doesn´t play bad

Isner, Youznhy, Melzer, Verdasco, Bennetteau, Nieminen, Davydenko, Berlocq, Llodra, Stepanek, Hewitt, Carreño Busta, Fish, Lorenzi, Mahut, Mathieu, Blake, Becker, R. Ram, Ramírez Hidalgo, Karlovic, Chiudinelli, Petzchner.Tsonga, Wawrinka, Raonic, Tipsarevic, Robredo, Hanescu, Montañes, Sijsling, Kubot, F. López, Tursunov, Roger-Vasselin, Mannarino, , Pospisil, Stakhosvky, Gicquel, Hayek, Golubev, Dolgopolov, Kukushkhin, Rochus, Zverev, Ignatik, Phau, Ginepri, Guccione, Riba, Starace

Nestor, Mirnyi, Zimonjic, Marc López, Marach, Peya, Paes, Melo, Soares, Rojer, Marrero, Huey, Inglot, Lipsky, Fleming, Knowle, Sá, Marray, Nielsen, Hanley, Cermak, Dlouhy, Cabal, Farah, Bracciali, Butorac.

Last edited by Julián Santiago : 07-20-2013 at 06:46 PM.
Julián Santiago is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 03:42 PM   #573

Kyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond repute

I've watched hundreds of Federer matches, I know when he got beat and when he gave a match away with poor play. This was not one of those days, just like the Stakhovsky loss wasn't like that. The Tsonga loss at RG, yes. Fed was hitting the ball well, served well in clutch situations and the match was decided by a few points literally.
Old 07-20-2013, 04:17 PM   #574
country flag JarkaFish
Banned!

JarkaFish has a reputation beyond reputeJarkaFish has a reputation beyond reputeJarkaFish has a reputation beyond reputeJarkaFish has a reputation beyond reputeJarkaFish has a reputation beyond reputeJarkaFish has a reputation beyond reputeJarkaFish has a reputation beyond reputeJarkaFish has a reputation beyond reputeJarkaFish has a reputation beyond reputeJarkaFish has a reputation beyond reputeJarkaFish has a reputation beyond repute

Kyle, you're really getting old as hell with your constant "Federer isn't playing bad really, his opponent just too good." nonsense. Just face it: he is playing badly. No other excuses for him to be losing to the players he's losing to and even getting challenged by some of the players that are challenging him.
JarkaFish is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 04:37 PM   #575

Quote:
Originally Posted by JarkaFish View Post

Kyle, you're really getting old as hell with your constant "Federer isn't playing bad really, his opponent just too good." nonsense. Just face it: he is playing badly. No other excuses for him to be losing to the players he's losing to and even getting challenged by some of the players that are challenging him.
The same could be said of Nadal when he was losing to Dodig, Mayer, Melzer, Zeballos, etc.

I didn't say he played great. I said he wasn't terrible like people make out. He's low on confidence, was trying out a new racquet (which went successfully I believe) and Delbonis took his chances and made them good. I can accept when Roger is beaten, and he was today. He didn't choke a two-break lead, or a set lead, and he did enough things well enough to win, but Delbonis had the answers.
Old 07-20-2013, 05:02 PM   #576
country flag Fed_Ds

Fed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond repute

Oh man...glad I missed this match. This reminds me of post 2k8 Wimbledon where it seemed like he was just in a daze. It wasn't til he got that gold medal with stan until his spirits were lifted. I really hope he can win in Switzerland next week for his confidence. Roger

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App
Fed_Ds is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 05:21 PM   #577
country flag Tony2003

Tony2003 has a reputation beyond reputeTony2003 has a reputation beyond reputeTony2003 has a reputation beyond reputeTony2003 has a reputation beyond reputeTony2003 has a reputation beyond reputeTony2003 has a reputation beyond reputeTony2003 has a reputation beyond reputeTony2003 has a reputation beyond reputeTony2003 has a reputation beyond reputeTony2003 has a reputation beyond reputeTony2003 has a reputation beyond repute

Of course there are People who can't accept a loss, they don't consider all the factors which are involved.
Roger should have retired by their opinions 2008 ...
He played not at his best, but Delbonis played really great. It's not like that Roger was outplayed. A few points made the difference. He could have won the first Tie Breaker were he had a Mini Break, but he didn't. Against SS in Wimbledon he should have won the 2nd Set 6:4 but coulnd't convert the BP's and he missed 2 'easy' Passing shots later in that Match. He has a new Racket and he needs Matches to be comfortable with it. For him i believe the change is huge, it's not only about Head Size, but Control, Feeling and Power. Against Delbonis and Mayer you could see that some of his shots gone wild caused of his new Racket. So let's give him a little bit Time to adjust.

And... a Tennis Fan should never call a Player Scrub/Mug or something like that. Nadull/Dull for example are also not very intelligent.

Roger Federer

The Incredible Three
Rafa, Joker, Murray

Fan of:
Grigor Dimitrov since 2011
Tony2003 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 05:40 PM   #578
country flag duarte_a
Federer Fan & Dull Hater

duarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony2003 View Post
Of course there are People who can't accept a loss, they don't consider all the factors which are involved.
Roger should have retired by their opinions 2008 ...
He played not at his best, but Delbonis played really great. It's not like that Roger was outplayed. A few points made the difference. He could have won the first Tie Breaker were he had a Mini Break, but he didn't. Against SS in Wimbledon he should have won the 2nd Set 6:4 but coulnd't convert the BP's and he missed 2 'easy' Passing shots later in that Match. He has a new Racket and he needs Matches to be comfortable with it. For him i believe the change is huge, it's not only about Head Size, but Control, Feeling and Power. Against Delbonis and Mayer you could see that some of his shots gone wild caused of his new Racket. So let's give him a little bit Time to adjust.

And... a Tennis Fan should never call a Player Scrub/Mug or something like that. Nadull/Dull for example are also not very intelligent.
This doesn't boil down to a single loss. Also I said we should wait until the end of the year and then access the situation.

Roger hasn't had such poor results since 2002. It's normal of course, he is getting older and declining, nothing wrong about that.

Of course he could have won, like yesterday, but he also could have lost like today. Thing is Roger didn't play well yesterday or today. His FH wing and ROS were awful.

I'm not asking anything more from Roger. What he has achieved and how he achieved it is more than I could have ever hoped for when I became his fan in late 2003.

I'm just saying that imo Roger wouldn't want to remain on tour having these types of loses frequently and winning so few titles. As I said no one, not even himself, expects Roger to win everything but there is a middle term.

I hope Roger will access his situation when the year ends. If this pattern continues and he doesn't win any more titles and loses early in the USO I think Roger wouldn't want to keep on playing but maybe he'll surprise me. Roger loves the game as he has said countless times but champions also love to win and I don't know how much longer Roger will last having these types of results.

I'm hoping Roger can raise his game and have a solid HC season and a very good indoor season. In 2011 it were the indoor tournaments that saved the season, maybe we have a similar outcome this year. Of course when I watch Roger playing like this I'm very skeptic he can raise his level to those standards but I'll keep my hopes up.

Last edited by duarte_a : 07-21-2013 at 09:58 AM.
duarte_a is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 10:32 PM   #579
country flag champras
To Shape the 'Fucso'

champras has a reputation beyond reputechampras has a reputation beyond reputechampras has a reputation beyond reputechampras has a reputation beyond reputechampras has a reputation beyond reputechampras has a reputation beyond reputechampras has a reputation beyond reputechampras has a reputation beyond reputechampras has a reputation beyond reputechampras has a reputation beyond reputechampras has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingSuperior View Post
Also, I'm sorry you had to see Roger lose live Champras... must be hard. But at least you got to see him!
Quote:
Originally Posted by barbadosan View Post
+1
Thanks, yes it was kinda bittersweet but still a big experience. To be so close and watch the match in the stadium, I will never forget. Shot some cool pics as well. Those tb's sucked, it's a jeopardy as it seems nowadays. I heard the first loud 'Come on' from him in the 2nd TB. Everbody seemed to believe in his win, although it was strange to me that lot of people were cheering for the argentine player, and seemed happy after he won, but it's ok.
Roger also sighed his usual 'ajjjaj' by the end of the 2nd set to express his frustration after a miss.
And after the handshake I clearly saw him shaking his head, so he really didn't get it what went wrong and was angry about it.
All in all I had a wonderful day, The day continued with lot of fun and smile for me so no complaints

Last edited by champras : 07-20-2013 at 10:36 PM.
champras is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 12:25 AM   #580
country flag alypen

alypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by alypen View Post
And I shall have to be [there in spirit only] tomorrow, too. *Really* hope he's fit - I certainly don't want him to lose to Delbonis.
Aaaagh. You know what happened, don't you? After having completely sat out all his matches this tournament (and done great things to my blood pressure as a result) and he won them all, this lunchtime I just went on the ATP site to see what time he was likely to be playing, and found they were just about to start the first-set TB (and of course I had to watch the livescores for that, didn't I?). Feel as though I jinxed him. Shall I sit out Gstaad and see if it makes any difference?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julián Santiago View Post
Fire Annacone
This is one of those things that annoys me (sorry, JS, not getting at you in particular), along with people saying "Roger needs to be doing more gym work, more X, less Y ...". To what extent do we know what Roger's training/coaching regimes really are? And why they are what they are? Do we have a fly on the wall watching his every move? And who's to say that Annacone's definitely at fault? Roger's the one on court, and he either is or isn't executing the game plan they've worked on - I don't know which. But it's not good for Annacone professionally if everyone's criticising him regardless of where any fault actually lies.

Anyway, what have we really got here? As soon as we discovered he was trying out a new racket we abandoned hopes of him actually winning here, I seem to remember. Roger is testing a racket 8 sq. in. larger than his previous one, a very significant increase, and obviously it's going to take time to get used to and to be able to play all his shots reliably - assuming he actually can - *and* that can really only be done fully under match conditions (don't forget, it sounds as though he can only have been practising with the racket for a maximum of a couple of weeks, if I've understood his schedule properly).
He plays a long and demanding match late the evening before, and pretty clearly has back problems (sweater? plus my wondering about the very thick hoodie he appeared to be wearing a couple of days earlier?). He doesn't get much recovery time to deal with those, because he was probably back on court about 2 pm the next day. He appears with his back taped (not seen that before, either - is that an alternative to the undershirt, in addition to the undershirt - which he wasn't wearing, was he? - or what?) so clearly the back is still causing problems to some extent, at least. Plus I'd have been a lot more worried about Delbonis if I'd known he was a leftie, I think. It sucks that Roger loses to someone so lowly-ranked, of course (although yet again it seems that it may be someone whose ranking belies his actual abilities), but should we be *so* surprised under the circumstances? While none of them are exactly reassuring, do they actually warrant pushing the panic button?

Last edited by alypen : 07-21-2013 at 12:32 AM.
alypen is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 08:01 AM   #581
country flag Litotes
ALT-0

Litotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by alypen View Post
Aaaagh. You know what happened, don't you? After having completely sat out all his matches this tournament (and done great things to my blood pressure as a result) and he won them all, this lunchtime I just went on the ATP site to see what time he was likely to be playing, and found they were just about to start the first-set TB (and of course I had to watch the livescores for that, didn't I?). Feel as though I jinxed him. Shall I sit out Gstaad and see if it makes any difference?
Don't sit out Gstaad, at least not for Rogers' sake. And definitely not for ours.

Otherwise I agree, it's not time to panic even though the result was disappointing. We hope for better things to come
Litotes is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 09:56 AM   #582
country flag buzz

buzz has a reputation beyond reputebuzz has a reputation beyond reputebuzz has a reputation beyond reputebuzz has a reputation beyond reputebuzz has a reputation beyond reputebuzz has a reputation beyond reputebuzz has a reputation beyond reputebuzz has a reputation beyond reputebuzz has a reputation beyond reputebuzz has a reputation beyond reputebuzz has a reputation beyond repute

I want to post I really admire that Federer tries the new raquet and plays these extra tournaments. He really tries to make his own succes instead of waiting to come for him because he is just naturally talented. After everything he has already achieved he not only tries to win more but als tries to reinvent himself.

And I thought he was already playing pretty good with what looks like a big change in raquet. We got to remember he played probably millions of shots with the other raquet and is completely adjusted to the place of the sweetspot etc.
buzz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 10:59 AM   #583
country flag WollyHBK

WollyHBK has a reputation beyond reputeWollyHBK has a reputation beyond reputeWollyHBK has a reputation beyond reputeWollyHBK has a reputation beyond reputeWollyHBK has a reputation beyond reputeWollyHBK has a reputation beyond reputeWollyHBK has a reputation beyond reputeWollyHBK has a reputation beyond reputeWollyHBK has a reputation beyond reputeWollyHBK has a reputation beyond reputeWollyHBK has a reputation beyond repute

Come on Federeristas dont lose hope we cant expect Roger to win everything at this stage of his career

Lets enjoy playing him on the Tennis court and Wish him the best for Gstaad and US Open
WollyHBK is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 11:15 AM   #584
country flag buzz

buzz has a reputation beyond reputebuzz has a reputation beyond reputebuzz has a reputation beyond reputebuzz has a reputation beyond reputebuzz has a reputation beyond reputebuzz has a reputation beyond reputebuzz has a reputation beyond reputebuzz has a reputation beyond reputebuzz has a reputation beyond reputebuzz has a reputation beyond reputebuzz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by WollyHBK View Post
Lets enjoy playing him on the Tennis court and Wish him the best for Gstaad and US Open
This, seeing him play is always nice, win or lose
buzz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 11:21 AM   #585
country flag StingSuperior

StingSuperior has a reputation beyond reputeStingSuperior has a reputation beyond reputeStingSuperior has a reputation beyond reputeStingSuperior has a reputation beyond reputeStingSuperior has a reputation beyond reputeStingSuperior has a reputation beyond reputeStingSuperior has a reputation beyond reputeStingSuperior has a reputation beyond reputeStingSuperior has a reputation beyond reputeStingSuperior has a reputation beyond reputeStingSuperior has a reputation beyond repute

Is anyone brave enough to make the Gstaad thread? Funny, it looks like another R2 encounter with Brands
StingSuperior is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote