Indian Wells 2005 - Page 6 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 03-15-2005, 12:57 PM   #76
country flag Socket

Socket has a reputation beyond reputeSocket has a reputation beyond reputeSocket has a reputation beyond reputeSocket has a reputation beyond reputeSocket has a reputation beyond reputeSocket has a reputation beyond reputeSocket has a reputation beyond reputeSocket has a reputation beyond reputeSocket has a reputation beyond reputeSocket has a reputation beyond reputeSocket has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Indian Wells 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number1Kim
Thanks for the articles

Though you know ( ), I find it bizarre that Lleyton making a responsible business decision is portrayed as 1. news and 2. somehow slightly negative. No-one publishes articles that XYZ player appears to have absolutely no financial advice or long term plan whatsoever and is frittering away their winnings at an alarming rate!

Good luck tomorrow Lleyton
I agree that Lleyton's changing from Tom Ross to Rob however-you-spell-his-name barely qualifies as news even on a slow news day (Guga dropping Larri as his coach after 15 years is much more newsworthy). But I think it has now evolved into a pissing battle among tennis reporters-dot-net, Tennis Week, and the Herald Sun as to who got the "exclusive" and who got the news "right" (whether Octagon is going to involved in managing Lleyton or in what role). From what I can tell, Octagon will be involved to the extent that they bring prospective contracts to Lleyton (actually, to Glynn), while Rob will provide the day-to-day management from Melbourne that Tom Ross used to provide from San Francisco.

C'mon, Lleyton!

Socket is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2005, 01:15 PM   #77
country flag star
Blown Out On the Trail

star has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond repute

Guga and Lari split?

*runs to Guga forum*
star is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 02:07 PM   #78
country flag sprinterluck

sprinterluck has a reputation beyond reputesprinterluck has a reputation beyond reputesprinterluck has a reputation beyond reputesprinterluck has a reputation beyond reputesprinterluck has a reputation beyond reputesprinterluck has a reputation beyond reputesprinterluck has a reputation beyond reputesprinterluck has a reputation beyond reputesprinterluck has a reputation beyond reputesprinterluck has a reputation beyond reputesprinterluck has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number1Kim
Thanks for the articles

Though you know ( ), I find it bizarre that Lleyton making a responsible business decision is portrayed as 1. news and 2. somehow slightly negative. No-one publishes articles that XYZ player appears to have absolutely no financial advice or long term plan whatsoever and is frittering away their winnings at an alarming rate!

Good luck tomorrow Lleyton
It's big news because Lleyton's a tennis star, not just any player out there, and has been with Octagon for at least 8 years. His deals bring in lots of money for Octagon. These management companies and agents are so competitive with each other (IMG, Octagon, SFX) that it's actually a big scoop especially if a top star is unhappy or disatisfied with the way his management operates. I found the article somewhat negative towards Octagon and not towards Lleyton.
sprinterluck is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 02:24 PM   #79
country flag Socket

Socket has a reputation beyond reputeSocket has a reputation beyond reputeSocket has a reputation beyond reputeSocket has a reputation beyond reputeSocket has a reputation beyond reputeSocket has a reputation beyond reputeSocket has a reputation beyond reputeSocket has a reputation beyond reputeSocket has a reputation beyond reputeSocket has a reputation beyond reputeSocket has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprinterluck
It's big news because Lleyton's a tennis star, not just any player out there, and has been with Octagon for at least 8 years. His deals bring in lots of money for Octagon. These management companies and agents are so competitive with each other (IMG, Octagon, SFX) that it's actually a big scoop especially if a top star is unhappy or disatisfied with the way his management operates. I found the article somewhat negative towards Octagon and not towards Lleyton.
It must be upsetting to Tom Ross and Octagon not only that they lost the No. 2 tennis player in the world for daily management, but that they lost him to a former Octagon agent (which Rob A. is). Shades of Jerry Maguire!

C'mon, Lleyton!

Old 03-15-2005, 03:01 PM   #80

sprinterluck has a reputation beyond reputesprinterluck has a reputation beyond reputesprinterluck has a reputation beyond reputesprinterluck has a reputation beyond reputesprinterluck has a reputation beyond reputesprinterluck has a reputation beyond reputesprinterluck has a reputation beyond reputesprinterluck has a reputation beyond reputesprinterluck has a reputation beyond reputesprinterluck has a reputation beyond reputesprinterluck has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socket
It must be upsetting to Tom Ross and Octagon not only that they lost the No. 2 tennis player in the world for daily management, but that they lost him to a former Octagon agent (which Rob A. is). Shades of Jerry Maguire!
And Rob Aivatoglou (when he was with Octagon) was the agent who helped Lleyton lodge the lawsuit against the ATP in the Australian courts so if this lawsuit does continue then Aivatoglou would be better able to work out day-to-day events when the trial starts because he is in Australia and Tom Ross is in San Francisco. People at Octagon like Tom Ross and Kelly Wolf must be really upset. According to Kerrin the administrator of the Lleytonland messageboard, Kelly Wolf confirmed a report with her that Octagon is still involved. Yet we're hearing contrary reports from Lleyton's own mouth. It sounds like Octagon is trying to work a deal with Lleyton's dad to still get a piece of the pie.
Old 03-15-2005, 04:07 PM   #81

Peter Bodo's TENNISWORLD blog from US Tennis Magazine.

Friday, March 11, 2 P.M.
Friday Feature

Lisa Dillman of the Los Angeles Times—a great “old school” reporter despite the fact that she is neither old, a man, nor a drunk—has a nice piece on Lleyton Hewitt in today’s Times. Here’s the money quote from Hewitt: “It’s going to be different than seeing any other player. Then again, we both have big careers to look forward to and have big goals. Just do our normal thing. There’s no bad blood at all or bad feelings.”

Guess what? He wasn’t talking about Marat Safin, but about the prospect of bumping into his former fiancée, Kim Clijsters, at the Indian Wells Tennis Garden during the ongoing Pacific Life Open. Hewitt has been through lots of changes lately—you can read Lisa’s full story here.

One—actually, two—of the people I feel most sorry for as all this shakes out are Tom Ross and his assistant Kelly Wolf at Octagon, the firm that until recently managed Hewitt. As Lleyton’s agent, Tom was a regular pit bull (despite his moon-faced choir-boy looks); he constantly put the best possible spin on the brilliant but antipathetic Australian lad’s intransigence and boorishness. Exasperated reporters like Hard Courts author John Feinstein wanted to hug Tom one moment for his basic understanding of the needs of the TPP (typical press pariah) and slug him the next, because he was so obviously a partisan, spinning madly and at times comically for his clients (thankfully for Tom, his stable also included gentlemen Michael Chang and Todd Martin).

You could have beaten Tom with a rubber hose and you wouldn’t have been able to extract an unkind or critical word about Lleyton or his parents (particularly father Glyn), whose contempt for the media (and the ATP) and impulse to circle the wagons at even a hint of criticism probably kept their kid (the youngest-ever world No. 1, the “Aussie battler” who helped restore his nation’s lost tennis glory) from becoming an international icon. Instead, Lleyton gets labeled “jerk” and “champion” with equal frequency. This wasn’t just because Tom knew where his bread was buttered; he’s basically a loyal, dance-with-who-brung-you kind of guy.

Tom and Kelly helped me a lot over the years—among other things, they convinced the Hewitts to let me spend the morning after Lleyton won his first U.S. Open title (over Pete Sampras) tagging along with the new star on his media rounds (Regis and Kathie Lee, Charlie Rose, et al.) on behalf of the mother ship, TENNIS Magazine—and it takes a lot to get that kind of access from the Hewitts.

In the end, what did Tom and Kelly’s loyalty get them?

Sure, at some level it’s “just business”—Tom knows that better than anyone, which is partly why he’ll quietly move on. Besides, Tom and Kelly certainly made money for—and from—Lleyton. But this still has to hurt.

On the other hand, maybe at this very moment Tom and Kelly are dancing around the Octagon suite at Indian Wells, hands in the air, crying out, “Free! Lordy Lord, free at last!”

Oh, I almost forgot. Kim won her first match at Indian Wells, and looked pretty good in the course of the 2 and 1 win over Nicole Pratt. You can check out that story here.
Old 03-15-2005, 07:51 PM   #82
country flag Lisbeth
SammySammySammy OiOiOi

Lisbeth has a reputation beyond reputeLisbeth has a reputation beyond reputeLisbeth has a reputation beyond reputeLisbeth has a reputation beyond reputeLisbeth has a reputation beyond reputeLisbeth has a reputation beyond reputeLisbeth has a reputation beyond reputeLisbeth has a reputation beyond reputeLisbeth has a reputation beyond reputeLisbeth has a reputation beyond reputeLisbeth has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the explanations guys I guess this is just not my area of interest because I couldn't actually tell you who manages most of the top players
Lisbeth is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 09:05 PM   #83
country flag thelma

thelma has a reputation beyond reputethelma has a reputation beyond reputethelma has a reputation beyond reputethelma has a reputation beyond reputethelma has a reputation beyond reputethelma has a reputation beyond reputethelma has a reputation beyond reputethelma has a reputation beyond reputethelma has a reputation beyond reputethelma has a reputation beyond reputethelma has a reputation beyond repute

Lleyton def. Llodra 6-2 7-6

Well done, Lleyton!
thelma is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 09:09 PM   #84
country flag Turkeyballs Paco

Turkeyballs Paco has a reputation beyond reputeTurkeyballs Paco has a reputation beyond reputeTurkeyballs Paco has a reputation beyond reputeTurkeyballs Paco has a reputation beyond reputeTurkeyballs Paco has a reputation beyond reputeTurkeyballs Paco has a reputation beyond reputeTurkeyballs Paco has a reputation beyond reputeTurkeyballs Paco has a reputation beyond reputeTurkeyballs Paco has a reputation beyond reputeTurkeyballs Paco has a reputation beyond reputeTurkeyballs Paco has a reputation beyond repute

Good job!
Turkeyballs Paco is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 09:18 PM   #85
country flag Jess

Jess has a reputation beyond reputeJess has a reputation beyond reputeJess has a reputation beyond reputeJess has a reputation beyond reputeJess has a reputation beyond reputeJess has a reputation beyond reputeJess has a reputation beyond reputeJess has a reputation beyond reputeJess has a reputation beyond reputeJess has a reputation beyond reputeJess has a reputation beyond repute

Thats good Keep going Lleyts
Jess is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 09:22 PM   #86
country flag Lisbeth
SammySammySammy OiOiOi

Lisbeth has a reputation beyond reputeLisbeth has a reputation beyond reputeLisbeth has a reputation beyond reputeLisbeth has a reputation beyond reputeLisbeth has a reputation beyond reputeLisbeth has a reputation beyond reputeLisbeth has a reputation beyond reputeLisbeth has a reputation beyond reputeLisbeth has a reputation beyond reputeLisbeth has a reputation beyond reputeLisbeth has a reputation beyond repute

Well done Lleyton I'm glad he got to play a competitive set - too many easy wins can be counterproductive.
Lisbeth is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 09:53 PM   #87
country flag scythe19pro

scythe19pro has a reputation beyond reputescythe19pro has a reputation beyond reputescythe19pro has a reputation beyond reputescythe19pro has a reputation beyond reputescythe19pro has a reputation beyond reputescythe19pro has a reputation beyond reputescythe19pro has a reputation beyond reputescythe19pro has a reputation beyond reputescythe19pro has a reputation beyond reputescythe19pro has a reputation beyond reputescythe19pro has a reputation beyond repute

Hewitt defies statistics
From correspondents in Indian Wells
March 16, 2005

LLEYTON Hewitt defeated Michael Llodra 6-2 7-6 (7-3) in the third round of the WTA and ATP Masters Series today.

Llodra lost despite firing more aces (8-7) and hammering more winners (33-31) than Hewitt, who committed just 12 unforced errors in the 89 minute match.

The 24-year-old advances to the fourth round where he will meet either Paul-Henri Mathieu or Jan Hernych.

In other matches, France's Fabrice Santoro beat Feliciano Lopez of Spain 6-4, 6-2 to reach the fourth round.

Santoro had just two double faults and won 64 of 111 total points in the 73-minute match.

In the women's draw, Russian fourth seed Elena Dementieva advanced to the quarter-finals, beating France's Tatiana Golovin 2-6 6-4 6-4.

Dementieva had to rally from a set down for the second consecutive match as she bids to improve on her semi-final finish here in 2000.

"I was able to come back and I feel my game is getting better from the previous match," said Dementieva, runner-up in the French and US Opens last year.

This was Golovin's best performance in Indian Wells as she failed to get past the second round in two previous appearances.

Dementieva was one of six Russians in action today setting the stage for the possibility there could be three all-Russian quarter-finals.

"It is amazing all the Russians," she said. "I don't even know all their names, there are so many of them and they are so young. They are coming from all over Russia and not just one place."

US Open champion Svetlana Kuznetsova also booked a spot in the quarters, beating Japan's Rika Fujiwara 6-3 6-2.

Well done lleyton
scythe19pro is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 09:56 PM   #88
country flag scythe19pro

scythe19pro has a reputation beyond reputescythe19pro has a reputation beyond reputescythe19pro has a reputation beyond reputescythe19pro has a reputation beyond reputescythe19pro has a reputation beyond reputescythe19pro has a reputation beyond reputescythe19pro has a reputation beyond reputescythe19pro has a reputation beyond reputescythe19pro has a reputation beyond reputescythe19pro has a reputation beyond reputescythe19pro has a reputation beyond repute

This is from Eurosport:

23:03 Hewitt will next face the winner of Mathieu v Hernych

23:02 Game ,set and match Hewitt 6-2 7-6

22:59 Double fault from Llodra, Hewitt is flying in the tie break 4-1

22:58 Good return from Hewitt for the mini break

22:56 It's a tie-break to decide the faith of the second set

22:52 Llodra holds serve

22:52 Llodra can earns easy points thanks to his serve and volley game

22:47 Llodra holds serve

22:42 Llodra serves for 5-4 but watch out for Hewitt who will take all necessary risks to break the Frenchman

22:41 Hewitt saved a break point to level at 4-4

22:35 Llodra holds serve with a love game

22:27 Hewitt levels at 2-2

22:20 Llodra holds serve saving two break points

22:15 All games are tough to earn ... They've all gone to deuce since the start of the second set

22:10 Llodra little by little starts accumulating points and forces Hewitt to play extra shots

22:00 Hewitt takes the opening set 6-2!

21:42 Double break from Hewitt! Llodra can't find his rythmn on serve

21:40 Hewitt breaks right away

21:37 Hewitt returns so deep that Llodra can't touch the ball

21:35 Unbelievable start from Hewitt!

21:32 Hewitt and Llodra met twice already and the Australian won both encounters
scythe19pro is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 10:07 PM   #89
country flag Socket

Thanks, scythe! I can see how you got so many green dots with so few posts!

C'mon, Lleyton!

Old 03-16-2005, 04:23 AM   #90
country flag NOMAD

NOMAD has a reputation beyond reputeNOMAD has a reputation beyond reputeNOMAD has a reputation beyond reputeNOMAD has a reputation beyond reputeNOMAD has a reputation beyond reputeNOMAD has a reputation beyond reputeNOMAD has a reputation beyond reputeNOMAD has a reputation beyond reputeNOMAD has a reputation beyond reputeNOMAD has a reputation beyond reputeNOMAD has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the articles,scythe19pro

Lleyton

Good luck in the next round against Mathieu (a frenchie once more )
P Mathieu (FRA) d J Hernych (CZE) 64 46 76(6) Saved 1 M.P.
NOMAD is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote