A Winter Sports Thread - Page 4 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 11-22-2002, 02:10 PM   #46
country flag TennisHack

TennisHack has a reputation beyond reputeTennisHack has a reputation beyond reputeTennisHack has a reputation beyond reputeTennisHack has a reputation beyond reputeTennisHack has a reputation beyond reputeTennisHack has a reputation beyond reputeTennisHack has a reputation beyond reputeTennisHack has a reputation beyond reputeTennisHack has a reputation beyond reputeTennisHack has a reputation beyond reputeTennisHack has a reputation beyond repute

Well, Mrs. B, I didn't know much about what was going on after Sergei's death, when she more or less dropped out of the public eye. I found this at www.skatingsource.com and I must say, I was a bit surprised at the ending . . .

The story of two time Gold medalist, Ekaterina Gordeeva, is an example of strength, endurance, and hope. With a celebrated career in the world of pairs figure skating, she and Sergei Grinkov mesmerized audiences with their classic romantic style. Partners on and off of the ice, Gordeeva tragically became a widow and single mother at the tender age of 24. With courage and support from the skating community and fans, she returned to the ice to become an award winning singles skater, Stars On Ice performer, and author of two books.

She began skating with the Central Red Army Club in Moscow, Russia at the age of four, despite her father’s hopes that she would dance with the Bolshoi Ballet Company. Showing a great skating talent, but lacking in jumps, a coach teamed her with 15-year-old Sergei Grinkov in 1982. Together, they were a love story on ice, winning the 1988 and 1994 Winter Olympics and four World Championships. A favorite of the Stars On Ice cast, they enjoyed a successful professional career as well.

Tragedy struck in 1995 when Grinkov died of a heart attack while rehearsing for the upcoming Stars On Ice season. Depressed and facing life alone as a single mother, her love of skating and her daughter provided the purposes to carry on. In 1996 when many friends and figure skating associates organized a tribute for Grinkov, Gordeeva shocked them by announcing that she would skate in the tribute. Choreographer, Marina Zueva, created a program for Gordeeva to the music of Mahler. She returned to the ice skating alone for the first time in her husband’s tribute, Sergei Grinkov: Celebration of a Life. Encouraged by the acceptance of her skating, she rejoined Stars On Ice and began touring with them as a singles skater.

A model for widows and single women starting over, Gordeeva wrote My Sergei: A Love Story, chronicling her life with Grinkov. The book was made into a television special in which Gordeeva starred in 1998. She followed up her writing success with the book A Letter For Daria in 1998. She became a spokesperson for Target Stores in 1997 and launched two fragrance lines, “Katia” and “Katia Sport”. In 1999, she joined Scott Hamilton, Amy Grant, and Tiger Woods who participated in the opening of Target House in Memphis, Tennessee. Gordeeva dedicated “Sergei’s Garden” at the house in memory of her late husband.

Recently, Gordeeva started a new chapter of her life. Finding love again with Men's Olympic Champion, Ilia Kulik, she gave birth to another daughter, Elizaveta Ilinicha, on June 15, 2001. She has also moved from Connecticut to Los Angeles.

You will be missed, Michel Kratochvil!
TennisHack is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2002, 02:44 PM   #47
country flag Jorge

Jorge has a reputation beyond reputeJorge has a reputation beyond reputeJorge has a reputation beyond reputeJorge has a reputation beyond reputeJorge has a reputation beyond reputeJorge has a reputation beyond reputeJorge has a reputation beyond reputeJorge has a reputation beyond reputeJorge has a reputation beyond reputeJorge has a reputation beyond reputeJorge has a reputation beyond repute

this sport is what i use to practice at "My winter" Sorry but the snow is too far away, and the beach too close, and i prefer the warm weather

Jorge is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2002, 03:37 PM   #48
country flag TennisHack

TennisHack has a reputation beyond reputeTennisHack has a reputation beyond reputeTennisHack has a reputation beyond reputeTennisHack has a reputation beyond reputeTennisHack has a reputation beyond reputeTennisHack has a reputation beyond reputeTennisHack has a reputation beyond reputeTennisHack has a reputation beyond reputeTennisHack has a reputation beyond reputeTennisHack has a reputation beyond reputeTennisHack has a reputation beyond repute

So what were the results from yesterday? The men are competing today, no?

Scores!

Old 11-22-2002, 03:43 PM   #49
Layla

Layla has a reputation beyond reputeLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLayla has a reputation beyond repute

These are the results from yesterday's women's Giant Slalom event:

1 Birgit Heeb-Batliner LIE 2:26.78
2 Alexandra Meissnitzer AUT 2:26.84 +0.06
3 Janica Kostelic CRO 2.26.96 +0.18
4 Anja Paerson SWE 2:27.58 +0.80
5 Sonja Nef SUI 2:27.77 +1.05
6 Anna Ottosson SWE 2:18.28 +1.40
7 Silvia Berger AUT 2:28.37 +1.59
8 Alison Forsyth CAN 2:28.45 +1.67
9 Karen Putzer ITA 2:28.47 +1.69
10 Britt Janyk CAN 2:28.62 +1.84
11 Martina Ertl GER 2:28.65 +1.87
12 Eveline Rohregger AUT 2:29:21 +2.43
13 Kristina Clark USA 2:29:35 +2.58
14 Carole Montillet FRA 2:29.36 +2.58
15 Marlies Öster SUI 2:29.44 +2.66
16 Maddalena Plantscher ITA 2:29.59 +2.81
17 Maria R-Contreras ESP 2:29:70 +2.92
18 Fraenzi Aufdenblaten SUI 2:29.78 +3.00
19 Kristina Koznick USA 2:29.79 +3.01
20 Nicole Gius ITA 2:29.82 +3.04
20 Sarah Schlepper USA 2:29.82 +3.04
22 Genevieve Simard CAN 2:29.85 +3.07
23 Erika Dicht SUI 2:30.26 +3.07
24 Michaela Dorfmeister AUT 2:30.31 +3.53
25 Christelle Pascal FRA 2:30.36 +3.58
25 Brigitte Obermoser AUT 2:30.36 +3.58
27 Daniella Ceccarelli ITA 2:30.53 +3.75
28 Anna G-Santolaria ESP 2:31.18 +4.40
29 Spelar Pretnar SLO 2:32.22 +5.44

In the 1st run, numbers 5 to 10 all failed to finish in a row. Including Slovenia's own Tina Maze, winner of the previous giant slalom event. But she has been injured (knee).

There's VERY little show in Park City, so the conditions are not great.
Old 11-22-2002, 03:45 PM   #50
Layla

Layla has a reputation beyond reputeLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLayla has a reputation beyond repute

Men's Giant Slalom will begin in 5 minutes!

GO BODE!!!

And good luck to Jure Kosir, Ivica Kostelic and Andreas Schifferer.
Old 11-22-2002, 03:48 PM   #51
Layla

And this is Jure Kosir, my favorite Slovene skier, who used to be really great. This is not the best picture though.

Old 11-22-2002, 03:51 PM   #52
country flag Wojtek

Wojtek has a reputation beyond reputeWojtek has a reputation beyond reputeWojtek has a reputation beyond reputeWojtek has a reputation beyond reputeWojtek has a reputation beyond reputeWojtek has a reputation beyond reputeWojtek has a reputation beyond reputeWojtek has a reputation beyond reputeWojtek has a reputation beyond reputeWojtek has a reputation beyond reputeWojtek has a reputation beyond repute

Jure was great , i hope he will win slalom this year . Last Year Mitja Kunc has great comeback , maybe Jure will do the same .
Wojtek is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2002, 03:54 PM   #53
Layla

Mitja Kunc was amazing last year. But this year he broke his collar bone a few month ago and couldn't really practice.

I have my faith in Jure.
Old 11-22-2002, 04:00 PM   #54
Layla

SHIT! Bode lost his ski in the middle of the race! In the previous race he lost his ski pole. There's something fishy going on.

Anyway, I'm a bit devastated now. What a let down.
Old 11-22-2002, 04:13 PM   #55
country flag Wojtek

Wojtek has a reputation beyond reputeWojtek has a reputation beyond reputeWojtek has a reputation beyond reputeWojtek has a reputation beyond reputeWojtek has a reputation beyond reputeWojtek has a reputation beyond reputeWojtek has a reputation beyond reputeWojtek has a reputation beyond reputeWojtek has a reputation beyond reputeWojtek has a reputation beyond reputeWojtek has a reputation beyond repute

Bode always gives 100%
Wojtek is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2002, 04:15 PM   #56
country flag TennisHack

Perhaps this is the reason this event is not being broadcast in the USA: the top woman in the results from the US is 13th

That sucks about Bode! Freak occurance? Or is skiiing corrupt, too?

Old 11-22-2002, 04:20 PM   #57
country flag Lee
Gugaholic

Lee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond repute

One thing about skiing is there are always lots of freak occurance. Almost any skier can win a title one day although the really good one will come up in a long run.

It still amaze me the female Canadian skier managed to win a gold medal in 1992 Olympic. I can't even remember her name but she has a 'Lee' in her name.
Lee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2002, 04:22 PM   #58
Layla

Lol, I should hope not TH. The event is in Park City, Utah so I don't think a conspiracy against a US skier is applicable. But anything's possible.

Yeah, Bode was the saving grace of American skiing. Him and Kristina Koznick (also one of my faves), but she's better in Slalom as is Bode.
Old 11-22-2002, 04:27 PM   #59
country flag Mrs. B
MY BOY HAS 17 GRAND SLAMS

Mrs. B has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. B has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. B has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. B has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. B has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. B has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. B has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. B has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. B has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. B has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. B has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, Hackie for that story on Ekaterina Gordeeva. I too, am a bit surprised at the ending...

FRENCH KISS
Mrs. B is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2002, 04:32 PM   #60
country flag Lee
Gugaholic

Lee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by Mrs. B
Thanks, Hackie for that story on Ekaterina Gordeeva. I too, am a bit surprised at the ending...
I heard about her skating double with Ilia and were dating. She was so devastated when Sergei died and said she would never skate with another partner again. I am glad she came out of it and find a new life with Ilia and now another lovely girl.
Lee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote