Among these achievements, what is the one that makes think Federer: "keep going" - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Among these achievements, what is the one that makes think Federer: "keep going"

Laver: 2 Grand Slams 4 13.33%
Sampras: 14 Slams (7 W, 5 USO, 2 AO) 13 43.33%
Sampras: 6 years in a row as world number 1 8 26.67%
Agassi: Career Grand Slam 3 10.00%
Borg: 6 FO/5 Wimbies (incl. 3 dubles) 2 6.67%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-28-2005, 02:31 PM   #1
country flag TheMightyFed

TheMightyFed has a reputation beyond reputeTheMightyFed has a reputation beyond reputeTheMightyFed has a reputation beyond reputeTheMightyFed has a reputation beyond reputeTheMightyFed has a reputation beyond reputeTheMightyFed has a reputation beyond reputeTheMightyFed has a reputation beyond reputeTheMightyFed has a reputation beyond reputeTheMightyFed has a reputation beyond reputeTheMightyFed has a reputation beyond reputeTheMightyFed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Among these achievements, what is the one that makes think Federer: "keep going"

Sometimes I wonder how Rog is keeping such a high level of motivation in every circumstances, given the small number of real rivals around. And I think he keeps focused on breaking some records... the real competition is with the greatest IMO. What do you think ?

Last edited by mdhubert : 02-28-2005 at 02:34 PM.
TheMightyFed is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2005, 02:40 PM   #2
WyveN
Banned!

WyveN has a reputation beyond reputeWyveN has a reputation beyond reputeWyveN has a reputation beyond reputeWyveN has a reputation beyond reputeWyveN has a reputation beyond reputeWyveN has a reputation beyond reputeWyveN has a reputation beyond reputeWyveN has a reputation beyond reputeWyveN has a reputation beyond reputeWyveN has a reputation beyond reputeWyveN has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Among these achievements, what is the one that makes think Federer: "keep going"

Dont think he is chasing records just yet, that happens more towards the later stages of your career if you are relatively close.
Think Roger is more focused on short term goals for example 3rd Wimbledon & staying #1 although hopefully RG is on that list to
WyveN is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 02:43 PM   #3
country flag lsy

lsy has a reputation beyond reputelsy has a reputation beyond reputelsy has a reputation beyond reputelsy has a reputation beyond reputelsy has a reputation beyond reputelsy has a reputation beyond reputelsy has a reputation beyond reputelsy has a reputation beyond reputelsy has a reputation beyond reputelsy has a reputation beyond reputelsy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Among these achievements, what is the one that makes think Federer: "keep going"

mdhubert, Roge just have all these close matches which could have gone either way, and there you go talking about him having no real rivals? and don't forget they're only "Roger Rabbit" (I prefer this than Mickey Mouse ) events we're talking about so far

I honestly don't think Rogi is looking at any of those as a benchmark, not when he's hardly close yet but sure he's trying to make his best career out of his maximum potential...I hope.
lsy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 02:43 PM   #4
country flag Puschkin

Puschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdhubert
Sometimes I wonder how Rog is keeping such a high level of motivation in every circumstances, given the small number of real rivals around. And I think he keeps focused on breaking some records... the real competition is with the greatest IMO. What do you think ?
It is an excellent question, but I think the right answer is not among those proposed.

"When I come to a tournament, I am here to win it; I am here to do well and not just to participate,” (http://www.menstennisforums.com/show...41#post1287741)

I think this is the answer, it's not about records, or not primarily.

Last edited by Puschkin : 03-03-2005 at 04:11 PM.
Puschkin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 02:52 PM   #5

TheMightyFed has a reputation beyond reputeTheMightyFed has a reputation beyond reputeTheMightyFed has a reputation beyond reputeTheMightyFed has a reputation beyond reputeTheMightyFed has a reputation beyond reputeTheMightyFed has a reputation beyond reputeTheMightyFed has a reputation beyond reputeTheMightyFed has a reputation beyond reputeTheMightyFed has a reputation beyond reputeTheMightyFed has a reputation beyond reputeTheMightyFed has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsy
mdhubert, Roge just have all these close matches which could have gone either way, and there you go talking about him having no real rivals?
Just a quote from ATP website to answer to you:
"Beginning with his undefeated run [in finals] to the Tennis Masters Cup title in 2003, Federer has amassed a stunning 99-7 match record."
If that guy has real rivals out there, they are not on this planet for the time being. Maybe Safin... in a good day.

Last edited by mdhubert : 02-28-2005 at 03:06 PM.
TheMightyFed is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 03:05 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puschkin
It is an excellent question, but I think the right answer is not among those proposed.

"When I come to a tournament, I am here to win it; I am here to do well and not just to participate,” (http://www.menstennisforums.com/show...41#post1287741)

I think this is the answer, it's not about records, or not primarily.
yes he's a true winner, no doubt about it...
for me he has set goals to himself that are beyond just "winning". If you're a pro I think "winning" is the minimum objective. His plan is really to surpass the greatest, he knows he's in a league of his own, and to keep a sufficient level of motivation jwhen he enters tournaments like Doha or Bangkok, or even Roland Garros where he doesn't feel that comfortable, he sets long term objectives refering to the greatest...
Old 02-28-2005, 03:10 PM   #7
WyveN
Banned!

WyveN has a reputation beyond reputeWyveN has a reputation beyond reputeWyveN has a reputation beyond reputeWyveN has a reputation beyond reputeWyveN has a reputation beyond reputeWyveN has a reputation beyond reputeWyveN has a reputation beyond reputeWyveN has a reputation beyond reputeWyveN has a reputation beyond reputeWyveN has a reputation beyond reputeWyveN has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
His plan is really to surpass the greatest, he knows he's in a league of his own, and to keep a sufficient level of motivation jwhen he enters tournaments like Doha or Bangkok, or even Roland Garros where he doesn't feel that comfortable, he sets long term objectives refering to the greatest...

If that was the case he would be tanking tournaments like Dubai instead of fighting through tiebreaks. If your chasing something like most slam titles, when your 10 slams behind it puts way to much pressure on yourself, Roger has said as much in interviews.
WyveN is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 03:12 PM   #8
country flag lsy

lsy has a reputation beyond reputelsy has a reputation beyond reputelsy has a reputation beyond reputelsy has a reputation beyond reputelsy has a reputation beyond reputelsy has a reputation beyond reputelsy has a reputation beyond reputelsy has a reputation beyond reputelsy has a reputation beyond reputelsy has a reputation beyond reputelsy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Just a quote from ATP website to answer to you:
"Beginning with his undefeated run [in finals] to the Tennis Masters Cup title in 2003, Federer has amassed a stunning 99-7 match record."
If that guy has real rivals out there, they are not on this planet on the time being. Maybe Safin... in a good day.
I know I know about his amazing records since last year till now. All I'm saying is it's not like he's cruising in every tournament that he has nothing to worry about current competitors and need past great players records as motivation at this moment.

I agree with WyveN, he would probably only really think of those you'd listed when he had come close, certainly not now. But I do think he wants to stay no.1 for as long as he can
lsy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 03:15 PM   #9
country flag RonE

RonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyveN
If that was the case he would be tanking tournaments like Dubai instead of fighting through tiebreaks. If your chasing something like most slam titles, when your 10 slams behind it puts way to much pressure on yourself, Roger has said as much in interviews.
Exactly- I don't think Pete Sampras when he was 23 was thinking about breaking Emerson's grand slam record. Only after he won #10 and #11 did the though start to filter into his mind.
RonE is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 03:21 PM   #10
country flag Action Jackson
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

What a load of crap that playing for records is that important.

Roger has to enjoy the game and go about being the best tennis player he can be and he is very successful at that.

If he continues to enjoy tennis and improving then the achievements will come.

Roger has to peak 4 times a year and they are the most important times, and if he wins these events regularly, he'll have his own legacy and might set some records, but that is the farthest thing from his mind.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 03:21 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyveN
I think he is a kind of "cannibale" like the Belgian Eddy Merckx in cycling was in the 70's : he wants to win everything: small tournies, GS, winning streaks records, rankings, etc. That's pretty rare when you look at Pete who wanted to win slams, Agassi who's done the Career slam but won most of his titles on hard, or Borg who didn't play Australian Open.
I thinks the 3 players that can be compared to Roger are Laver, Connors and Lendl, with that "I want them all" mentality. Pretty scary to think how rare it is. And contrary to Connors and Lendl, Fed has a fabulous magician talent. Conclusion: the closest reference is Rod Laver IMO...
Old 02-28-2005, 03:23 PM   #12
country flag Puschkin

Puschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
, and to keep a sufficient level of motivation jwhen he enters tournaments like Doha or Bangkok, or even Roland Garros where he doesn't feel that comfortable, he sets long term objectives refering to the greatest...
But that is exaclty the point: beating the records you mentioned would not force him to give it all in Rotterdam or Dubai and that's why I feel the ultimate motivation is winning, every single match, it is as simple as that.
Puschkin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 03:28 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeWHitler
What a load of crap that playing for records is that important.
I think for Federer they ARE important, just look at the brilliant year he's starting after his small slam in 2004, while Connors and Wilander had pretty disapointing ones after they did it. I know he doesn't think about it constantly, especially when facing 2 MP's against JCF in Dubai, he has emergencies to deal with, but I think it's interesting to talk about long run goals, as the players never mention them. Injuries can occur, but very talented players might have some long term goals, some dreams, call them as you want...
Old 02-28-2005, 03:31 PM   #14
country flag Action Jackson
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

Federer hasn't won 7 Slams yet has he?

If someone is playing for records and not just concentrating on being the best player they can and doing what it takes to win, then what is the point.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 03:44 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeWHitler
Federer hasn't won 7 Slams yet has he?

If someone is playing for records and not just concentrating on being the best player they can and doing what it takes to win, then what is the point.
So how do you explain Wilander went from 3 slams in 88 to 0 slam in 89, while he surely did "what it took to win" in 89... just lack of motivation, easily understandable.
But not in Fed's case. Why ? Because besides willing to win, he's having a long term approach and a sky-high level of work-ethic, reinforced by past examples. I don't say he takes his fix every morning on a picture of Rod Laver, but he has a few achievements in the back of his mind, 7 Wimbies I'm 100% sure. And it's not journalist bullshit to talk about long-term, it's just going a bit beyond the "he just wants to win" analysis...