serve help - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 02-27-2005, 04:37 PM   #1
country flag Maxpowers

Maxpowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaxpowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaxpowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaxpowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaxpowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaxpowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaxpowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaxpowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaxpowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaxpowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaxpowers has a reputation beyond repute
Default serve help

I played a match yesterday where I served great for the 1st set, winning a lot of points off my first serve and getting about 70% of my first serves in. However, I still lost the set 7-6 and lost 9-7 in the tiebreaker. I had a lot of chances to break serve during the set and a few chances to win the tiebreak and was pretty upset at myself.

When the second set started I could not get a first serve in. I consistently hit my 1st serves 1-3 feet long, which made my service games very difficult. Fortunately I was still able to spin my second serves in, but I don't understand what would cause all of my serves to land long. My first 3 service games I did not get a first serve in. Finally on my 4th service game my serves started landing in again, but I have no idea why. Any suggestions?
Maxpowers is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2005, 06:32 PM   #2
country flag Domino

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: serve help

Your wrist got tired, and your wrist snap was later, causing your serves to go long. If you're going to serve big, you need to work on your fitness, or else your serves won't be usefull later on in a match. Try wrist curling when you're not playing, and when you are playing, make sure you snap your wrist at the right point.

Also, it's possible your ball toss was errant, but that would give you mixed results, rather than consistant long serving.
Old 02-27-2005, 06:46 PM   #3
country flag Leena
Disqualified For
Racquet Abuse

Leena has a reputation beyond reputeLeena has a reputation beyond reputeLeena has a reputation beyond reputeLeena has a reputation beyond reputeLeena has a reputation beyond reputeLeena has a reputation beyond reputeLeena has a reputation beyond reputeLeena has a reputation beyond reputeLeena has a reputation beyond reputeLeena has a reputation beyond reputeLeena has a reputation beyond repute

It's probably that your wrist got tired... or your body got tired, and you weren't springing up for your serves like you normally do. Nerves can lead to this, as well. As well, as being angry and tanking.
Leena is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 09:00 PM   #4
country flag Maxpowers

Maxpowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaxpowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaxpowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaxpowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaxpowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaxpowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaxpowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaxpowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaxpowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaxpowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaxpowers has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the quick response both of you. I think you're probably right and it was a combination of nerves and fatigue, which hurt my wrist snap and my ability to spring up to the ball. My ball toss felt pretty good the whole time so I don't think that was it. It had been a while since I'd played a set and 2 sets was a little more taxing on my body than I realized. I'm going to try the wrist curles and also try to not spend so much time on the computer, so hopefully that'll help as well. Thanks again for the help.
Maxpowers is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote