Nadal: More developed, but improved? - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 06-25-2013, 05:23 AM   #1
country flag BackhandDTL

BackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond repute
Default Nadal: More developed, but improved?

Rafa has unequivocally developed as a player over the years, peaking in '08 when his ground-strokes had become so massive and versatile. He's added dimensions to his game that can be summed up as a greater ability to end points. But he's also arguably declined in some of his greatest strengths, namely physicality and discipline (read: movement, grit and consistency).

So while he's added dimensions to his game, he's arguably suffered in areas that made him such a force in the first place.

So is this Nadal really an improvement over, say, his '07 self, where he wasn't quite as versatile but much more explosive? If so, what gives him the edge now? Discuss, please.
Originally Posted by @Sweet Cleopatra View Post
Million times.. Your problem
I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want. If you're looking for attention, I can tell you I don't like you but what I do have are a very particular set of skills. Skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you stop posting that photo now, that will be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you. But if you don't, I will look for you, I will find you and I will terminate your MTF account.
BackhandDTL is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2013, 05:27 AM   #2
country flag J99

J99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nadal: More developed, but improved?

He's had to adapt his game to make points shorter because he's not as physically dominant as he once was.

TT stats site: http://mtftt.info/

Melzer, Rafa, Fognini, Murray, Pospisil, Ferrer, Haas, Dolgopolov, Almagro, Nishikori, Dimitrov, Kohlschreiber, Robredo, Benneteau, Simon, Janowicz, plus a lot more, mostly, if not all clay courters, but firstly just the game itself.
J99 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 05:53 AM   #3
country flag Kyle_Johansen

Kyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond repute

What made him unique and special all the way back 8 years ago when he barged onto the scene was his immense defense, which he doesn't possess anymore. He is certainly more well-rounded in 2013 but he's also more vulnerable than he was in 2008.
6) Rosewall 7) Agassi 8) Lendl 9) Connors 10) McEnroe
Top 10 favourite all-time list
1) Federer 2) Safin 3) Agassi 4) Sampras 5) Edberg
6) Lendl 7) Haas 8) Hewitt 9) Connors 10) Becker
Kyle_Johansen is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 06:03 AM   #4
country flag Houstonko

Houstonko has a reputation beyond reputeHoustonko has a reputation beyond reputeHoustonko has a reputation beyond reputeHoustonko has a reputation beyond reputeHoustonko has a reputation beyond reputeHoustonko has a reputation beyond reputeHoustonko has a reputation beyond reputeHoustonko has a reputation beyond reputeHoustonko has a reputation beyond reputeHoustonko has a reputation beyond reputeHoustonko has a reputation beyond repute

yeah 2007-2008 he started to be good, the groundstrokes are deep combine with defense.

But then he play out of his mind to usurp Fed causing injury.

2004-2006 is short groundstroke but only use defense.

Now with Djoker even if he plays out his mind he knows he isn't winning outside clay, it caused mental weakness.
Houstonko is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 07:24 AM   #5
country flag Johnny Groove
Future ATP Star

Johnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houstonko View Post
yeah 2007-2008 he started to be good, the groundstrokes are deep combine with defense.

But then he play out of his mind to usurp Fed causing injury.

2004-2006 is short groundstroke but only use defense.

Now with Djoker even if he plays out his mind he knows he isn't winning outside clay, it caused mental weakness.
Very accurate.

Now Nadal is trapped in a scenario where if he plays too much, he gets injured, but play too little and he gets rusty.

I think if he wants to stay on tour, he needs to adapt to playing even more aggressive, bigger serving, more winners. Save the body. If he wants to win anything outside of clay, and even there he was 9-7 in the 5th vs. Djoker.
Originally Posted by Nathaliia View Post
What do you like doing on MTF most?
Reading Johnny Groove threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripwires View Post
Johnny blurs the line between grandeur and grandiose
Johnny Groove is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 07:30 AM   #6
country flag Houstonko

Houstonko has a reputation beyond reputeHoustonko has a reputation beyond reputeHoustonko has a reputation beyond reputeHoustonko has a reputation beyond reputeHoustonko has a reputation beyond reputeHoustonko has a reputation beyond reputeHoustonko has a reputation beyond reputeHoustonko has a reputation beyond reputeHoustonko has a reputation beyond reputeHoustonko has a reputation beyond reputeHoustonko has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Groove View Post
Very accurate.

Now Nadal is trapped in a scenario where if he plays too much, he gets injured, but play too little and he gets rusty.

I think if he wants to stay on tour, he needs to adapt to playing even more aggressive, bigger serving, more winners. Save the body. If he wants to win anything outside of clay, and even there he was 9-7 in the 5th vs. Djoker.
After MC 2009 with 14000 points on ATP people think he was going to dominate for long periods.

Fed start to get nice with him after sensing Nadal's style won't last long, he thinks Nadal is nice guy to hand over rest of 2009 and is a pity(wants to beat Nadal to overtake Sampras). Bomb and he lost from 14000 to 6000 points.

He got no complaints from his part to build good friendship.

Yeah he needs to play aggressive but will hit UEs which is uncomfortable on. Generally no talent to play attacking tennis. The talent gives accuracy to hit balls low over the net on the rise. This is where Olderer's UEs come from, the difficulty of the shots. Sometimes the shots are so low that it drops inside the service box, almost double bounce, the variety makes people uncomfortable. Not easy to play like this for Nadal..he made FH error when he try to hit the lines against Darcis. Wimby 2011 and USO 2011 too.

Last edited by Houstonko : 06-25-2013 at 07:47 AM.
Old 06-25-2013, 07:52 AM   #7
country flag Kat_YYZ
Registered Fed fan

Kat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond repute

Someone posted this clip on another website. NOTE: It's from 2008:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/tennis/7448240.stm

Maybe someone with a physio-based education or knowledge about fitness techniques can shed some light here. Is this a good idea? Did anyone else cringe seeing Nadal doing this to his knees?
Old 06-25-2013, 07:55 AM   #8
country flag Houstonko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat_YYZ View Post

Maybe someone with a physio-based education or knowledge about fitness techniques can shed some light here. Is this a good idea? Did anyone else cringe seeing Nadal doing this to his knees?
wow its very painful doing that. Whole body weight on knees.
Old 06-25-2013, 08:41 AM   #9
country flag NID

NID has a reputation beyond reputeNID has a reputation beyond reputeNID has a reputation beyond reputeNID has a reputation beyond reputeNID has a reputation beyond reputeNID has a reputation beyond reputeNID has a reputation beyond reputeNID has a reputation beyond reputeNID has a reputation beyond reputeNID has a reputation beyond reputeNID has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

well, but you know...that is sparta, manly, alfa. unlike certain primaballerina who is not manly enough to resort to such outstanding technique.
NID is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 09:16 AM   #10
country flag Aloevera

Aloevera has a reputation beyond reputeAloevera has a reputation beyond reputeAloevera has a reputation beyond reputeAloevera has a reputation beyond reputeAloevera has a reputation beyond reputeAloevera has a reputation beyond reputeAloevera has a reputation beyond reputeAloevera has a reputation beyond reputeAloevera has a reputation beyond reputeAloevera has a reputation beyond reputeAloevera has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Groove View Post
Very accurate.

Playing like Federer, basically...? Whom they said unable to win anything now.
Aloevera is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 09:21 AM   #11
country flag Aloevera

Aloevera has a reputation beyond reputeAloevera has a reputation beyond reputeAloevera has a reputation beyond reputeAloevera has a reputation beyond reputeAloevera has a reputation beyond reputeAloevera has a reputation beyond reputeAloevera has a reputation beyond reputeAloevera has a reputation beyond reputeAloevera has a reputation beyond reputeAloevera has a reputation beyond reputeAloevera has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by NID View Post
well, but you know...that is sparta, manly, alfa. unlike certain primaballerina who is not manly enough to resort to such outstanding technique.
What made you think that a male prima ballerina is not manly or alfa enough? You think those male ballet dancers are sissies?
Aloevera is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 09:27 AM   #12
country flag duarte_a
Federer Fan & Dull Hater

duarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

That made me cringe.
Old 06-25-2013, 09:34 AM   #13
country flag NID

NID has a reputation beyond reputeNID has a reputation beyond reputeNID has a reputation beyond reputeNID has a reputation beyond reputeNID has a reputation beyond reputeNID has a reputation beyond reputeNID has a reputation beyond reputeNID has a reputation beyond reputeNID has a reputation beyond reputeNID has a reputation beyond reputeNID has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloevera View Post
What made you think that a male prima ballerina is not manly or alfa enough? You think those male ballet dancers are sissies?
ballerinas are by definition female. male ballet dancers are not ballerinas.
guess sarcasm tags are necessary
NID is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 09:43 AM   #14
country flag Ziggy B

Ziggy B has a reputation beyond reputeZiggy B has a reputation beyond reputeZiggy B has a reputation beyond reputeZiggy B has a reputation beyond reputeZiggy B has a reputation beyond reputeZiggy B has a reputation beyond reputeZiggy B has a reputation beyond reputeZiggy B has a reputation beyond reputeZiggy B has a reputation beyond reputeZiggy B has a reputation beyond reputeZiggy B has a reputation beyond repute

He's lost some explosiveness, much like Fed. His defence too, while still wildly impressive on clay, is no longer a brick wall off it either it seems.

FEDERER - MURRAY - DEL POTRO - DIMITROV - GASQUET - WAWRINKA - TSONGA - HEWITT - FOGNINI - HAAS - KOHLSCHREIBER - NALBANDIAN
Ziggy B is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 09:51 AM   #15
country flag Houstonko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloevera View Post
Playing like Federer, basically...? Whom they said unable to win anything now.
2005 energetic Federer will outhit this Gymnast and Dull. The strokes were explosive and fast. His style is still best outside clay no?

Clay only won by ultimate top spin user.