should federer and nadal meet (no merge please) - Page 6 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 06-22-2013, 05:03 AM   #76
country flag Kyle_Johansen

Kyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: should federer and nadal meet (no merge please)

In the AO 2012 match I thought Roger played a good first set and won it but then he tried to open up his game and he started hitting bad approach shots. I still say that IW 2012 was the greatest match he ever played vs Nadal.
6) Rosewall 7) Agassi 8) Lendl 9) Connors 10) McEnroe
Top 10 favourite all-time list
1) Federer 2) Safin 3) Agassi 4) Sampras 5) Edberg
6) Lendl 7) Haas 8) Hewitt 9) Connors 10) Becker
Kyle_Johansen is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2013, 03:12 PM   #77
country flag Manequin75

Manequin75 has a reputation beyond reputeManequin75 has a reputation beyond reputeManequin75 has a reputation beyond reputeManequin75 has a reputation beyond reputeManequin75 has a reputation beyond reputeManequin75 has a reputation beyond reputeManequin75 has a reputation beyond reputeManequin75 has a reputation beyond reputeManequin75 has a reputation beyond reputeManequin75 has a reputation beyond reputeManequin75 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon language View Post
Backhand slice down the line to Nadal's backhand every single time.

And by every single time I mean every single time Nadal directs a ball to Federer's backhand, which will be something like 75% of the time.

BH slices down the line will give rafa enough time to run around his forehand and hit a hard inside out FH which federer will barely get it back to set up a short reply for rafa to finish it off with his FH.

ANd if fed goes for DTL bh shots only (slice or otherwise) rest assured atleast 50% would be unforced errors.

Fed shd work his BH CC hitting hard with great angles and draw errors from rafa FH. Easier said than done but this is a very important shot. Mix it up and go for a winner when able to with the FH.

Serve well.

Federer knows all this. He knows what the game plan is against Rafa. Problem is Rafa forces fed to play low percentage tennis with his FH to protect his BH and errors happen. And Fed has to be timing really well and be at the top of his game to beat Rafa.

If I pick one shot its the serve. If fed can keeo his first serve % high enough and bring it on on the big points I think he will keep it very competitive.

I dont think a rafa win against fed on grass at Wimbledon center court is a foregone conclusion like so many people seem to think. Fed has to win the first set for sure if he needs to be in the hunt.

*Assumes Rafael Nadal was never born
Manequin75 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 03:27 PM   #78
country flag mystic ice cube

mystic ice cube has a reputation beyond reputemystic ice cube has a reputation beyond reputemystic ice cube has a reputation beyond reputemystic ice cube has a reputation beyond reputemystic ice cube has a reputation beyond reputemystic ice cube has a reputation beyond reputemystic ice cube has a reputation beyond reputemystic ice cube has a reputation beyond reputemystic ice cube has a reputation beyond reputemystic ice cube has a reputation beyond reputemystic ice cube has a reputation beyond repute

This will be extremely tough for the following reasons:

1. Nadal is already a terrible match-up for fed with his game.
2. Federer is not playing well lately. Okay, he won Halle, but he folded against the big players this year, not encouraging.
3. He's past his prime and already had it tough beating Rafa here before.

In order for him to win I think he will need to serve well, use the S&V, be aggressive, and try to cut down the UE's. This maybe a mental thing against Rafa but over the last few games they have played (apart from WTF) he has hit a lot of forehands into the net which is fatal against Nadal.

If the roof comes over it will help Federer again but my main concern is his form going into the tournament. If it was Federer playing like he did even last year at Wimbledon I would be very optimistic.

FEDERER - DEL POTRO - DIMITROV

Haas Tsonga Djokovic Janowicz Dolgopolov Gulbis Wawrinka Kyrgios

Hewitt is a legend

Get well soon Soderking & Juan
mystic ice cube is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 03:39 PM   #79
country flag Fujee

Fujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle_Johansen View Post
In the AO 2012 match I thought Roger played a good first set and won it but then he tried to open up his game and he started hitting bad approach shots. I still say that IW 2012 was the greatest match he ever played vs Nadal.
Surely WTF 2011?
Genius is not replicable. Inspiration, though, is contagious, and multiform — and even just to see, close up, power and aggression made vulnerable to beauty is to feel inspired and (in a fleeting, mortal way) reconciled.

David Foster Wallace

Last edited by Fujee : 06-22-2013 at 03:42 PM.
Fujee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 03:43 PM   #80
country flag Loveall

Loveall has a reputation beyond reputeLoveall has a reputation beyond reputeLoveall has a reputation beyond reputeLoveall has a reputation beyond reputeLoveall has a reputation beyond reputeLoveall has a reputation beyond reputeLoveall has a reputation beyond reputeLoveall has a reputation beyond reputeLoveall has a reputation beyond reputeLoveall has a reputation beyond reputeLoveall has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Federer-Fan View Post
I don't think Nadal can beat Djokovic on grass. I mean, at the French Open, it was perfect conditions for Nadal (clay courts, very sunny) and Novak was playing bad during the first, the third and the start of the fourth set, but still very close to defeat Rafa.
Do you believe that Novak simply played bad or he was pushed by Rafa to make it appear he played poor. I think, it was both. Set 3 was an exception, Set 4 , Rafa was 2 points away but wilted under pressure and tried to be agressive. Set 5 aftr Rafa broke back to make it 4-4, it was even stevens till Novak played that very poor last service game. At the highest levels, your opponent's brilliance gets you.

Novak in 2011 did to Rafa many times and Rafa lost not just because he played bad but he just was the second best player on court that day.
Old 06-22-2013, 03:48 PM   #81
country flag Loveall

Loveall has a reputation beyond reputeLoveall has a reputation beyond reputeLoveall has a reputation beyond reputeLoveall has a reputation beyond reputeLoveall has a reputation beyond reputeLoveall has a reputation beyond reputeLoveall has a reputation beyond reputeLoveall has a reputation beyond reputeLoveall has a reputation beyond reputeLoveall has a reputation beyond reputeLoveall has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honestly View Post
I don't think Nadal is winning this anyway. He has a monster task ahead of him. If he beats Fed then he faces Murray. And then Djokovic. It just gets harder for him.
If Rafa feds beats Roger in straights or in 4, he will take care of Andy in 3 or 4 too . Both Roger and Andy a have huge mental issues against Rafa. They are almost in awe with him .

A Rafa - Nole final seems highly likely.

Rafa will have a slight edge over Novak (this version of Novak is not close to his 2011 levels)
Old 06-22-2013, 03:50 PM   #82
country flag Loveall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honestly View Post
I wouldn't call it throwing Nadal a bone. He is closer to beating Nadal on clay than ever. Nothing but pure luck made Nadal win that match, but his luck will soon run out.
GREAT players create their own luck.
Old 06-22-2013, 04:04 PM   #83
country flag acionescu

acionescu has a reputation beyond reputeacionescu has a reputation beyond reputeacionescu has a reputation beyond reputeacionescu has a reputation beyond reputeacionescu has a reputation beyond reputeacionescu has a reputation beyond reputeacionescu has a reputation beyond reputeacionescu has a reputation beyond reputeacionescu has a reputation beyond reputeacionescu has a reputation beyond reputeacionescu has a reputation beyond repute

People calling themselves fans saying that Fed goal this Wimbledon is to wear Nadal for Murray
Old 06-22-2013, 04:25 PM   #84

Kyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fujee View Post
Surely WTF 2011?
The IW conditions favoured Rafa and he played tactically one of his best matches ever.
Old 06-22-2013, 04:38 PM   #85
country flag Dark Knight

Dark Knight has a reputation beyond reputeDark Knight has a reputation beyond reputeDark Knight has a reputation beyond reputeDark Knight has a reputation beyond reputeDark Knight has a reputation beyond reputeDark Knight has a reputation beyond reputeDark Knight has a reputation beyond reputeDark Knight has a reputation beyond reputeDark Knight has a reputation beyond reputeDark Knight has a reputation beyond reputeDark Knight has a reputation beyond repute

The down the line slice isn't a good plan for Fed. Rafa will run around and his inside out forehands if he does that.

He needs to hit the DTL topspin backhand well however doing that every time is again not logical. Rafa would then try to run around and hit forehands if he finds Fed hitting the BH DTL all the time.

So Fed will have to play very carefully and mix it up with the wide cross court and down the line backhand. He did it well in IW 2012 and needs to do it again.

He needs to serve very well too and hit topspin BH returns even if he shanks a few. He should also serve volley at times.

Its a huge task ahead of Fed if he goes on to face Rafa. He's not been playing that well this year either. Having said that, if he manages to beat Rafa..i think he can win the title.

ROGER FEDERER

STANISLAS WAWRINKA
Dark Knight is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 04:48 PM   #86
country flag romismak

romismak has a reputation beyond reputeromismak has a reputation beyond reputeromismak has a reputation beyond reputeromismak has a reputation beyond reputeromismak has a reputation beyond reputeromismak has a reputation beyond reputeromismak has a reputation beyond reputeromismak has a reputation beyond reputeromismak has a reputation beyond reputeromismak has a reputation beyond reputeromismak has a reputation beyond repute

To many questions, but i like Rogerīs chances for various reasons. They havenīt played 5 years at grass and even Rafa isnīt so good like was, Rogerīs decline is bigger of course, but Rafa is not as good as he was loosing sets on clay to nobodies and Nole beat him in MC and almost RG - so why he should be so scary at Wimbledon? Rogerīs chances are much higher indoors thatīs clear for both of them. But even outdoors he have chance - he is better grass-courter for sure. So he needs serve good, be agressive, good volleys at that day and also i would love to see how high the bounce will be and how fast grass will be QF match is still not totally destroeyd F matchday grass so at decent speed grass, with decent - lower bounce might have huge impact i mean if he can handle topspin with his BH that game is on his racquet, because he is more agressive player, better server, will go more often forward to close points at the net and so on. Also forms are questions - Rogerīs been bad, but we all know at slams Roger can go up 2 levels, while Rafa will have cakewalk draw until QF so he might be not tested and than when match will be under roof vs Roger in Serverer mode and BH wonīt be in Shankerer mode it will be 50/50 match.

Also i think it wonīt be beatdown for sure, even Rafa playing great and Roger in poor form means Rafa in straight sets, but it can be competitive just thanks to Rogerīs serve-FH combo on grass - and i can see also Roger winning in straight sets indoors serving great - tie-breaks and so on. Rafa is not such huge favorit like everybody here thinks, because of match-up.

Last edited by romismak : 06-22-2013 at 04:52 PM.
romismak is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 05:02 PM   #87
country flag paseo

paseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond repute

Fed only needs to serve well, and it'll be a done deal, folks.
paseo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 05:04 PM   #88

The biggest thing will be holding up breaks. You know he'll get his breaks but if he does go up a break (like 4-2 or 5-2) he absolutely cannot give it back and give Rafa any momentum.
Old 06-22-2013, 05:18 PM   #89
country flag Roy Emerson

Roy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by romismak View Post
To many questions, but i like Rogerīs chances for various reasons. They havenīt played 5 years at grass and even Rafa isnīt so good like was, Rogerīs decline is bigger of course, but Rafa is not as good as he was loosing sets on clay to nobodies and Nole beat him in MC and almost RG - so why he should be so scary at Wimbledon? Rogerīs chances are much higher indoors thatīs clear for both of them. But even outdoors he have chance - he is better grass-courter for sure. So he needs serve good, be agressive, good volleys at that day and also i would love to see how high the bounce will be and how fast grass will be QF match is still not totally destroeyd F matchday grass so at decent speed grass, with decent - lower bounce might have huge impact i mean if he can handle topspin with his BH that game is on his racquet, because he is more agressive player, better server, will go more often forward to close points at the net and so on. Also forms are questions - Rogerīs been bad, but we all know at slams Roger can go up 2 levels, while Rafa will have cakewalk draw until QF so he might be not tested and than when match will be under roof vs Roger in Serverer mode and BH wonīt be in Shankerer mode it will be 50/50 match.

Also i think it wonīt be beatdown for sure, even Rafa playing great and Roger in poor form means Rafa in straight sets, but it can be competitive just thanks to Rogerīs serve-FH combo on grass - and i can see also Roger winning in straight sets indoors serving great - tie-breaks and so on. Rafa is not such huge favorit like everybody here thinks, because of match-up.
Fingers crossed.
Roy Emerson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote