Rafael Nadal getting seeded No. 5 at Wimbledon is a joke - Page 3 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 06-21-2013, 01:33 AM   #31
country flag Moozza

Moozza has a reputation beyond reputeMoozza has a reputation beyond reputeMoozza has a reputation beyond reputeMoozza has a reputation beyond reputeMoozza has a reputation beyond reputeMoozza has a reputation beyond reputeMoozza has a reputation beyond reputeMoozza has a reputation beyond reputeMoozza has a reputation beyond reputeMoozza has a reputation beyond reputeMoozza has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rafael Nadal getting seeded No. 5 at Wimbledon is a joke

Maybe Dull shouldn't have gone off in a huff after getting a beatdown from Rosol?

MULTISLAMRAYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!

DISPUTABLE REAL NO.1

SPORTSPERSON OF THE YEAR 2013!!!!+ Humanitarian world no.1 2014
Moozza is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2013, 01:36 AM   #32
country flag Honestly

Honestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaindewslave View Post
delusional much?
5 Wimbledon finals, 2 Titles, has won queens?
Nadal is one of the best grass court players in the world you are just a hater who is either obsessed with bringing rain down on Nadal or taking some strange drug
A losing record in the final and only 3 total grass court titles is not something to brag about, especially given how slow grass has become.
Old 06-21-2013, 01:38 AM   #33
country flag LoveFifteen

LoveFifteen has a reputation beyond reputeLoveFifteen has a reputation beyond reputeLoveFifteen has a reputation beyond reputeLoveFifteen has a reputation beyond reputeLoveFifteen has a reputation beyond reputeLoveFifteen has a reputation beyond reputeLoveFifteen has a reputation beyond reputeLoveFifteen has a reputation beyond reputeLoveFifteen has a reputation beyond reputeLoveFifteen has a reputation beyond reputeLoveFifteen has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honestly View Post
A losing record in the final and only 3 total grass court titles is not something to brag about, especially given how slow grass has become.
Yeah, two Wimbledons is pretty pathetic, isn't it?
LoveFifteen is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 01:40 AM   #34
country flag SheepleBuster

SheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ne znam ali mozda View Post
http://ftw.usatoday.com/2013/06/rafa...imbledon-seed/

The two-time champion could face Djokovic, Federer or Murray in the quarters.

Wimbledon announced Wednesday it will adhere to its seeding formula and not change Rafael Nadal’s No. 5 seed, setting the stage for a potential quarterfinal matchup between the Spanish tennis star and one of his “big four” confreres, Novak Djokovic, Andy Murray or Roger Federer.

The decision was widely expected. It’s also a disappointing cop-out.

There’s now a 75 percent chance Nadal, whose ATP ranking is affected by the seven months he spent out of the sport with an injury, will be on a path to face Djokovic, Murray or Federer in the quarters. Imagine: Djokovic and Nadal playing a Sunday match on Wednesday, all for the right to play the winner of David Ferrer and Richard Gasquet in the semis. That doesn’t do right by the players, fans or tournament. Only Nadal’s placement in Ferrer’s quarter of the draw would avoid a potential big four showdown in the final eight.

For some reason, most of the tennis world isn’t outraged by the seeding snub. (John McEnroe doesn’t like it, but what else is new?) Wimbledon’s seeding formula, based mainly on the ATP rankings with an added emphasis on grass-court events, is treated as gospel. If the numbers say Nadal is No. 5, the argument goes, then he must be seeded No. 5. What’s with the misguided sense of fairness, as if there’s nobility in clinging to an already-arbitrary rankings system?

That’s not to say there aren’t valid arguments in support of keeping Nadal at No. 5. There are and they’re written in bold below. The counterpoints are stronger.

If they make an exception here, they’d have to make it for everyone.

This is a fair point. Wimbledon would have to always move up rankings for 12-time Grand Slam champions who take off seven months to rehab from a knee injury, then return in peak form to go 43-2 and win the French Open. It’s setting a bad precedent for this common occurrence.

It’s unfair to David Ferrer.

Sure it is. He earned his ranking by staying healthy and advancing deep into tournaments. He’s also made it to one quarterfinal in 10 appearances at Wimbledon. It’s nothing against Ferrer, a fine player who probably would have won a Grand Slam or two if he had been born 15 years earlier, when I say that I know David Ferrer and, sir, David Ferrer is no Rafael Nadal.

Seedings aren’t supposed to be predictive.

Yes they are. That’s exactly why they exist. Seeds are necessary to minimize the random variances in chance set up by a 128-player draw. That’s why tennis changed from 16 seeded players to 32 seeded players in 2001.

Overall, it’s not that big a deal. He still has to win seven matches.

Roger Federer, who could be burned by the Nadal seeding if it results in a quarterfinal matchup, endorses this view.

“Clearly it changes the draw, the dynamics of it, but not more than that, really,” he said Sunday. “I mean, the quarterfinal is not the first round. It’s still far away in the draw, if you think about it.”

I’d buy it more if Federer hadn’t made every Grand Slam quarterfinal since 2004.

But he’s right; the quarters are far away. Not far away enough to ponder what might happen, however. One of the Big Four could have dates with each of the other members in the quarters, semis and finals. Federer, for instance, might have to go through Nadal, Murray and Djokovic to defend his title. Nadal could see Djokovic, Federer and Murray. That’s only the 2011 champion, the 2012 champion and the guy who won an Olympic gold medal on Centre Court 11 months ago. That’s a big deal.

The numbers don’t lie. Ferrer is No. 4, Nadal is No. 5. Period.

These numbers don’t lie either:

Nadal: 12 Grand Slam titles; 43 wins, 95% win percentage, seven titles in 2013; five Wimbledon finals appearances, two Wimbledon titles.

Ferrer: 0 Grand Slam titles; 37 wins, 78% win percentage, two titles in 2013; one Wimbledon quarterfinal appearance.

Why is one set of numbers more important than the other? When did common sense get replaced with slavish devotion to meaningless point values?

I completely agree with you. What a freaking shame. Shame on Wimbledon. I suggest Rafa pull out to protest this ridiculous decision.

Suarez & Nadal : True Trailblazers in Sports
*Proud hater of the neo-L.Ron Hubbard of Espana, the fake Pharaoh without clothes ... cult leader extraordinaire and ...
SheepleBuster is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 03:25 AM   #35
country flag Fujee

Fujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesto View Post
Hmm. It was Spanish clay courters complaining about the subjectivity of the Wimbledon seeding committee's decisions which led to them adopting the grass court formula in the first place wasn't it?

Chickens. Home. Roost.

+1
Genius is not replicable. Inspiration, though, is contagious, and multiform — and even just to see, close up, power and aggression made vulnerable to beauty is to feel inspired and (in a fleeting, mortal way) reconciled.

David Foster Wallace
Fujee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 03:26 AM   #36
Jagermeister

Jagermeister has a reputation beyond reputeJagermeister has a reputation beyond reputeJagermeister has a reputation beyond reputeJagermeister has a reputation beyond reputeJagermeister has a reputation beyond reputeJagermeister has a reputation beyond reputeJagermeister has a reputation beyond reputeJagermeister has a reputation beyond reputeJagermeister has a reputation beyond reputeJagermeister has a reputation beyond reputeJagermeister has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honestly View Post
Yea, those two Wimbledons are an embarrassment. Rafa should jump off the London Bridge

Truly you have outdone yourself!

As for the seeding: It is what it is and Rafa will just have to deal with it. Tough.
Jagermeister is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 04:37 AM   #37
Kip

Kip has a reputation beyond reputeKip has a reputation beyond reputeKip has a reputation beyond reputeKip has a reputation beyond reputeKip has a reputation beyond reputeKip has a reputation beyond reputeKip has a reputation beyond reputeKip has a reputation beyond reputeKip has a reputation beyond reputeKip has a reputation beyond reputeKip has a reputation beyond repute

Oh Boo hoo!

I love the ATP! Drama and crying about everything under the sun that doesn't strike the fancy of the golden boys or that of their fan-boys/girls. His ranking is what it is. If he wants to win he has to beat all comers anyways. I say get on with it! Put your head down, work hard, and lift it once you are lifting the trophy!
Kip is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 04:37 AM   #38
country flag Kat_YYZ
Registered Fed fan

Kat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaindewslave View Post
there actually is logic in it, that it's a bit strange that arguably the most successful grass court player of the last 5 or so years is seeded underneath a player who has made 1 QF at Wimbledon in 10 appearances

I think there is clear cut logic in rankings as well, but in this case Wimbledon does use a format in which they consider the previous seasons results. this seems to be a rather subjective format- a logical person would wonder whatever made them make a format that counts only last season's success? if they're using past experience to explain the level of a player what scientific data says that only one previous result matters?
obviously it is the most recent or relevant, but I can see how someone might question the whole thing, when Wimbledon already has a rather unusual formula that in this case does not help at all.
they made the formula so people wouldn't be seeded too lowly based on their merits, to prevent situations like this from occurring

obviously it is what it is, but there is certainly a logical argument that Nadal could have been seeded higher just based on his incredible consistancy here
i.e. made final in 2006, 2007 won in 2008, didn't play in 2009, won in 2010, made final in 2011. since 2005 in the times that he has played he has only once lost early- 2012

this is one of those rare situations where I think they should use their brains a bit more
it's not the end of the world though

if Nadal really should have gotten better seeding in the first place then he will prove it by getting past the harder odds in a big players QF
so by your (boring, way too long-winded, as usual) argument, Federer should be seeded #1 for Wimbledon from now until 2023 regardless of his ATP ranking. You wanna dredge up results from 2006-2009? Three titles and one final for RF.
Old 06-21-2013, 04:40 AM   #39
country flag atennisfan

atennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveall View Post
The Biggest worry for Other 3 of the Top 4 is that Rafa should not land in their Quarter.
Irrespective of the surface, Rafa is NOT some one you want to face before the Championship match.

But, No body is above Rules. If the Wimbledon seeding committee decided to follow the book, so be it.

Friday's draw and its analysis in MTF will be so voluminous and contentious .

I just can not wait for it .
Wrong.

In Wimbledon, the top players would rather face Nadal in the first week of Wimbledon than championships match.
Nadal is most vulnerable in the first week as the grass is still green, which by the end of the second week will have turned into mud.
People need to wake up. Olderer is not winning anymore slams - neither is he going to become #1.
atennisfan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 04:57 AM   #40
country flag Kyle_Johansen

Kyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond repute

He should be #5, since he's the #5 player in the world the past year.

And I don't see why it's a bad thing that we see Nadal play one of Andy, Nole, or Roger in the quarters.
6) Rosewall 7) Agassi 8) Lendl 9) Connors 10) McEnroe
Top 10 favourite all-time list
1) Federer 2) Safin 3) Agassi 4) Sampras 5) Edberg
6) Lendl 7) Haas 8) Hewitt 9) Connors 10) Becker
Kyle_Johansen is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 05:34 AM   #41
country flag Tennisator

Tennisator has a reputation beyond reputeTennisator has a reputation beyond reputeTennisator has a reputation beyond reputeTennisator has a reputation beyond reputeTennisator has a reputation beyond reputeTennisator has a reputation beyond reputeTennisator has a reputation beyond reputeTennisator has a reputation beyond reputeTennisator has a reputation beyond reputeTennisator has a reputation beyond reputeTennisator has a reputation beyond repute

Who the heck cares, Nadal took an extended respite from the game, replenished his energy tank, returned to the Tour, and won the French Open. What are you complaining about?
Nadal didn't win anything on grass last year and missed the 2nd half of the season altogether and you expect the Wimbledon organizers to reward him with a 4th seed for that. NONSENSE. If Nadal is to win this year's WIMBLEDON, he will have to do it the HARD WAY, let's see if he has the guts to pull this one off......
Tennisator is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 05:42 AM   #42
country flag Honestly

Honestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennisator View Post
Who the heck cares, Nadal took an extended respite from the game, replenished his energy tank, returned to the Tour, and won the French Open. What are you complaining about?
Nadal didn't win anything on grass last year and missed the 2nd half of the season altogether and you expect the Wimbledon organizers to reward him with a 4th seed for that. NONSENSE. If Nadal is to win this year's WIMBLEDON, he will have to do it the HARD WAY, let's see if he has the guts to pull this one off......
Old 06-21-2013, 05:57 AM   #43
country flag TropicalSunset

TropicalSunset has a reputation beyond reputeTropicalSunset has a reputation beyond reputeTropicalSunset has a reputation beyond reputeTropicalSunset has a reputation beyond reputeTropicalSunset has a reputation beyond reputeTropicalSunset has a reputation beyond reputeTropicalSunset has a reputation beyond reputeTropicalSunset has a reputation beyond reputeTropicalSunset has a reputation beyond reputeTropicalSunset has a reputation beyond reputeTropicalSunset has a reputation beyond repute

One big joke is that a 10+ GS player at his prime lost to No.100.
A bigger joke is that losing one match cost a player 7 months to evade matches.
The biggest joke is this thread. \END

a fan of: Andre Agassi, David Nalbandian, Jo-Wilfried Tsonga, Stanislas Wawrinka, Robin Soderling & all Chinese players
support: Juan Carlos Ferrero, Lleyton Hewitt, Marat Safin, James Blake, Nikolay Davydenko, Tommy Haas, Andy Murray, Juan Martin Del Potro, Lukas Rosol
like to watch: Philipp Kohlschreiber, Richard Gasquet, Nicolas Almagro, Mikhail Youzhny, Tommy Robredo, Grigor Dimitrov, Ernest Gulbis, Marcos Bagdatis, Steve Darcis

blacklisted:Any act of anti-tennis, say the Whine, the Knee, the Bald, the Ass-picking and the Moonballing.
TropicalSunset is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 05:59 AM   #44
country flag Naudio Spanlatine
I wanna taste u.

Location: Lust and/or Love of fire. My heaven has awaited me.
Naudio Spanlatine has a reputation beyond reputeNaudio Spanlatine has a reputation beyond reputeNaudio Spanlatine has a reputation beyond reputeNaudio Spanlatine has a reputation beyond reputeNaudio Spanlatine has a reputation beyond reputeNaudio Spanlatine has a reputation beyond reputeNaudio Spanlatine has a reputation beyond reputeNaudio Spanlatine has a reputation beyond reputeNaudio Spanlatine has a reputation beyond reputeNaudio Spanlatine has a reputation beyond reputeNaudio Spanlatine has a reputation beyond repute

Im not surprised, i mean he did lose the 2nd round of wimby last year so not a shocker really.
Old 06-21-2013, 06:00 AM   #45
country flag rafa_maniac

rafa_maniac has a reputation beyond reputerafa_maniac has a reputation beyond reputerafa_maniac has a reputation beyond reputerafa_maniac has a reputation beyond reputerafa_maniac has a reputation beyond reputerafa_maniac has a reputation beyond reputerafa_maniac has a reputation beyond reputerafa_maniac has a reputation beyond reputerafa_maniac has a reputation beyond reputerafa_maniac has a reputation beyond reputerafa_maniac has a reputation beyond repute

Storm in a teacup. At worst he's going to have to face someone a round earlier than normal. And if I'm Rafa I'm more worried about someone like Tsonga than Federer or Ferrer anyway.