Rafael Nadal getting seeded No. 5 at Wimbledon is a joke - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 06-20-2013, 10:28 PM   #1
country flag ne znam ali mozda

ne znam ali mozda has a reputation beyond reputene znam ali mozda has a reputation beyond reputene znam ali mozda has a reputation beyond reputene znam ali mozda has a reputation beyond reputene znam ali mozda has a reputation beyond reputene znam ali mozda has a reputation beyond reputene znam ali mozda has a reputation beyond reputene znam ali mozda has a reputation beyond reputene znam ali mozda has a reputation beyond reputene znam ali mozda has a reputation beyond reputene znam ali mozda has a reputation beyond repute
Default Rafael Nadal getting seeded No. 5 at Wimbledon is a joke

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2013/06/rafa...imbledon-seed/

The two-time champion could face Djokovic, Federer or Murray in the quarters.

Wimbledon announced Wednesday it will adhere to its seeding formula and not change Rafael Nadalís No. 5 seed, setting the stage for a potential quarterfinal matchup between the Spanish tennis star and one of his ďbig fourĒ confreres, Novak Djokovic, Andy Murray or Roger Federer.

The decision was widely expected. Itís also a disappointing cop-out.

Thereís now a 75 percent chance Nadal, whose ATP ranking is affected by the seven months he spent out of the sport with an injury, will be on a path to face Djokovic, Murray or Federer in the quarters. Imagine: Djokovic and Nadal playing a Sunday match on Wednesday, all for the right to play the winner of David Ferrer and Richard Gasquet in the semis. That doesnít do right by the players, fans or tournament. Only Nadalís placement in Ferrerís quarter of the draw would avoid a potential big four showdown in the final eight.

For some reason, most of the tennis world isnít outraged by the seeding snub. (John McEnroe doesnít like it, but what else is new?) Wimbledonís seeding formula, based mainly on the ATP rankings with an added emphasis on grass-court events, is treated as gospel. If the numbers say Nadal is No. 5, the argument goes, then he must be seeded No. 5. Whatís with the misguided sense of fairness, as if thereís nobility in clinging to an already-arbitrary rankings system?

Thatís not to say there arenít valid arguments in support of keeping Nadal at No. 5. There are and theyíre written in bold below. The counterpoints are stronger.

If they make an exception here, theyíd have to make it for everyone.

This is a fair point. Wimbledon would have to always move up rankings for 12-time Grand Slam champions who take off seven months to rehab from a knee injury, then return in peak form to go 43-2 and win the French Open. Itís setting a bad precedent for this common occurrence.

Itís unfair to David Ferrer.

Sure it is. He earned his ranking by staying healthy and advancing deep into tournaments. Heís also made it to one quarterfinal in 10 appearances at Wimbledon. Itís nothing against Ferrer, a fine player who probably would have won a Grand Slam or two if he had been born 15 years earlier, when I say that I know David Ferrer and, sir, David Ferrer is no Rafael Nadal.

Seedings arenít supposed to be predictive.

Yes they are. Thatís exactly why they exist. Seeds are necessary to minimize the random variances in chance set up by a 128-player draw. Thatís why tennis changed from 16 seeded players to 32 seeded players in 2001.

Overall, itís not that big a deal. He still has to win seven matches.

Roger Federer, who could be burned by the Nadal seeding if it results in a quarterfinal matchup, endorses this view.

ďClearly it changes the draw, the dynamics of it, but not more than that, really,Ē he said Sunday. ďI mean, the quarterfinal is not the first round. Itís still far away in the draw, if you think about it.Ē

Iíd buy it more if Federer hadnít made every Grand Slam quarterfinal since 2004.

But heís right; the quarters are far away. Not far away enough to ponder what might happen, however. One of the Big Four could have dates with each of the other members in the quarters, semis and finals. Federer, for instance, might have to go through Nadal, Murray and Djokovic to defend his title. Nadal could see Djokovic, Federer and Murray. Thatís only the 2011 champion, the 2012 champion and the guy who won an Olympic gold medal on Centre Court 11 months ago. Thatís a big deal.

The numbers donít lie. Ferrer is No. 4, Nadal is No. 5. Period.

These numbers donít lie either:

Nadal: 12 Grand Slam titles; 43 wins, 95% win percentage, seven titles in 2013; five Wimbledon finals appearances, two Wimbledon titles.

Ferrer: 0 Grand Slam titles; 37 wins, 78% win percentage, two titles in 2013; one Wimbledon quarterfinal appearance.

Why is one set of numbers more important than the other? When did common sense get replaced with slavish devotion to meaningless point values?
ne znam ali mozda is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2013, 10:29 PM   #2
country flag Motoflou
Barkeep

Motoflou has a reputation beyond reputeMotoflou has a reputation beyond reputeMotoflou has a reputation beyond reputeMotoflou has a reputation beyond reputeMotoflou has a reputation beyond reputeMotoflou has a reputation beyond reputeMotoflou has a reputation beyond reputeMotoflou has a reputation beyond reputeMotoflou has a reputation beyond reputeMotoflou has a reputation beyond reputeMotoflou has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rafael Nadal getting seeded No. 5 at Wimbledon is a joke

Yeah well, you know what else is a joke?

A moth goes into a podiatrist’s office, and the podiatrist says, “What seems to be the problem, moth?”

The moth says “What’s the problem? Where do I begin, man? I go to work for Gregory Illinivich, and all day long I work. Honestly doc, I don’t even know what I’m doing anymore. I don’t even know if Gregory Illinivich knows. He only knows that he has power over me, and that seems to bring him happiness. But I don’t know, I wake up in a malaise, and I walk here and there… at night I…I sometimes wake up and I turn to some old lady in my bed that’s on my arm. A lady that I once loved, doc. I don’t know where to turn to. My youngest, Alexendria, she fell in the…in the cold of last year. The cold took her down, as it did many of us. And my other boy, and this is the hardest pill to swallow, doc. My other boy, Gregarro Ivinalititavitch… I no longer love him. As much as it pains me to say, when I look in his eyes, all I see is the same cowardice that I… that I catch when I take a glimpse of my own face in the mirror. If only I wasn’t such a coward, then perhaps…perhaps I could bring myself to reach over to that cocked and loaded gun that lays on the bedside behind me and end this hellish facade once and for all…Doc, sometimes I feel like a spider, even though I’m a moth, just barely hanging on to my web with an everlasting fire underneath me. I’m not feeling good.

And so the doctor says, “Moth, man, you’re troubled. But you should be seeing a psychiatrist. Why on earth did you come here?”

And the moth says, “‘Cause the light was on.”
Motoflou is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 10:30 PM   #3
country flag duarte_a
Federer Fan & Dull Hater

duarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond repute

nadal is seeded where he should be given his results in the past 12 months.
Old 06-20-2013, 10:31 PM   #4
country flag Kiedis

Kiedis has a reputation beyond reputeKiedis has a reputation beyond reputeKiedis has a reputation beyond reputeKiedis has a reputation beyond reputeKiedis has a reputation beyond reputeKiedis has a reputation beyond reputeKiedis has a reputation beyond reputeKiedis has a reputation beyond reputeKiedis has a reputation beyond reputeKiedis has a reputation beyond reputeKiedis has a reputation beyond repute

bbbbuut but Nadal has a lot of power

God is killing me
Kiedis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 10:35 PM   #5
country flag PiggyGotRoasted

PiggyGotRoasted has a reputation beyond reputePiggyGotRoasted has a reputation beyond reputePiggyGotRoasted has a reputation beyond reputePiggyGotRoasted has a reputation beyond reputePiggyGotRoasted has a reputation beyond reputePiggyGotRoasted has a reputation beyond reputePiggyGotRoasted has a reputation beyond reputePiggyGotRoasted has a reputation beyond reputePiggyGotRoasted has a reputation beyond reputePiggyGotRoasted has a reputation beyond reputePiggyGotRoasted has a reputation beyond repute

No, he is seeded correctly using a proper formula.

He hasnt demonstrated in the last 2 years that he was good enough on grass courts. Technically since he lost to Rosol ranked so low last year him being seeded at all is a joke. Its obvious there are plenty better grass courters there.
PiggyGotRoasted is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 10:35 PM   #6
country flag VamosRafaNadal

VamosRafaNadal has a reputation beyond reputeVamosRafaNadal has a reputation beyond reputeVamosRafaNadal has a reputation beyond reputeVamosRafaNadal has a reputation beyond reputeVamosRafaNadal has a reputation beyond reputeVamosRafaNadal has a reputation beyond reputeVamosRafaNadal has a reputation beyond reputeVamosRafaNadal has a reputation beyond reputeVamosRafaNadal has a reputation beyond reputeVamosRafaNadal has a reputation beyond reputeVamosRafaNadal has a reputation beyond repute

No matter in what position Nadal is seeded, he will win the title easily of course.
FITD: #12 (Best: #9) | Runner-up: Cincinnati 2013
PAW: #11 (Best: #11) | Titles: Indian Wells 2013
Suicide Tennis: #3 (Best: #1) | Titles: Cincinnati 2013
Tennis Tipping - Singles: #10 (Best: #10) | Titles: ATP Houston 2014 | Final: US OPEN 2013, Arad CH 2013, Tampere CH 2013, Poitiers Fut 2014
Tennis Tipping - Doubles: #67 (Best: #67) Titles: ATP Nice 2014 (w/gak3) | Final: Dallas CH 2014 (w/orangehat), Binghamton CH 2013 (w/randy72391)
Rafael Nadal: The King of Clay. The Warrior. The Mental Giant.
Richard Gasquet - Dominic Thiem - Santiago Giraldo - Kenny de Schepper
Youzhny - Berdych - Nishikori - Cilic - Gulbis - Istomin - Lu - Klizan - Haas - Jaziri - Berankis - Fucsovics - Wang - McGee - Lizariturry

Last edited by VamosRafaNadal : 06-20-2013 at 10:44 PM.
VamosRafaNadal is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 10:37 PM   #7
country flag duarte_a
Federer Fan & Dull Hater

duarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by VamosRafaNadal View Post
No matter in what position Nadal is seeded, he will win the title easily.
That goes without saying of course.
Old 06-20-2013, 10:37 PM   #8
country flag Honestly

Honestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond repute

Relax fanboys. NAdal will be drawn in his bitch Ferrer's quarter probably, but he has to get past Rosol first anyway.
302 weeks at #1
7 Wimbledon titles
10 consecutive slam F, 23 consecutive slam SF, 36 consecutive slam QF
3/4 slam titles on 3 occasions, 4/4 slam finals on 3 occasions
4 consecutive Laureus sportsman of the year awards

Quickly dumbtards, hand out bad reps so you can bad rep me again. It's been almost 24 hours!
Honestly is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 10:40 PM   #9
country flag tommyg6

tommyg6 has a reputation beyond reputetommyg6 has a reputation beyond reputetommyg6 has a reputation beyond reputetommyg6 has a reputation beyond reputetommyg6 has a reputation beyond reputetommyg6 has a reputation beyond reputetommyg6 has a reputation beyond reputetommyg6 has a reputation beyond reputetommyg6 has a reputation beyond reputetommyg6 has a reputation beyond reputetommyg6 has a reputation beyond repute

I approve of his seeding. Now Rafa has a harder path to win Wimbledon.
tommyg6 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 10:40 PM   #10
country flag Mong Mong

Mong Mong has a reputation beyond reputeMong Mong has a reputation beyond reputeMong Mong has a reputation beyond reputeMong Mong has a reputation beyond reputeMong Mong has a reputation beyond reputeMong Mong has a reputation beyond reputeMong Mong has a reputation beyond reputeMong Mong has a reputation beyond reputeMong Mong has a reputation beyond reputeMong Mong has a reputation beyond reputeMong Mong has a reputation beyond repute

On the bright side, it will be another wake up call to Rafa that he has a lot to work on, and this isn't clay. I have faith that he'll make it through

WTA Royalties
Queen Maria Sharapova 1-2-1-1-S-32 | Princess Petra Kvitova 2- 12
Mong Mong is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 10:44 PM   #11
country flag Looner

Looner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond repute

Not a bigger joke than this mug thread. People who lose in R2 should not be allowed in the next tournament.

The "Who plays tennis?" thread

On beating weak era players in finals of slams
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
Say what you want about Federer playing Baghdatis and Gonzo in AO finals... But at least he won them
On patriotism and the DC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crustaceok View Post
Barbados is in the same division as Spain. Unbelievable.
Looner is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 10:44 PM   #12
country flag VamosRafaNadal

VamosRafaNadal has a reputation beyond reputeVamosRafaNadal has a reputation beyond reputeVamosRafaNadal has a reputation beyond reputeVamosRafaNadal has a reputation beyond reputeVamosRafaNadal has a reputation beyond reputeVamosRafaNadal has a reputation beyond reputeVamosRafaNadal has a reputation beyond reputeVamosRafaNadal has a reputation beyond reputeVamosRafaNadal has a reputation beyond reputeVamosRafaNadal has a reputation beyond reputeVamosRafaNadal has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by duarte_a View Post
That goes without saying of course.
Thanks, I missed the of course. I added it to the message just right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honestly View Post
Relax fanboys. NAdal will be drawn in his bitch Ferrer's quarter probably, but he has to get past Rosol first anyway.
Relax friends. The Wimbledon draw is very opened this year, even Federer can win the title with the level of tennis that he is showing lately (and I always wanted the best for Federer, but his actual level is low and everybody knows it). I posted my last message to have some fun because I knew that someone would bite me Anyway, as I said in past messages my favourites for Wimbledon 2013 are Murray and Nadal. It will depend on the draw.
FITD: #12 (Best: #9) | Runner-up: Cincinnati 2013
PAW: #11 (Best: #11) | Titles: Indian Wells 2013
Suicide Tennis: #3 (Best: #1) | Titles: Cincinnati 2013
Tennis Tipping - Singles: #10 (Best: #10) | Titles: ATP Houston 2014 | Final: US OPEN 2013, Arad CH 2013, Tampere CH 2013, Poitiers Fut 2014
Tennis Tipping - Doubles: #67 (Best: #67) Titles: ATP Nice 2014 (w/gak3) | Final: Dallas CH 2014 (w/orangehat), Binghamton CH 2013 (w/randy72391)
Rafael Nadal: The King of Clay. The Warrior. The Mental Giant.
Richard Gasquet - Dominic Thiem - Santiago Giraldo - Kenny de Schepper
Youzhny - Berdych - Nishikori - Cilic - Gulbis - Istomin - Lu - Klizan - Haas - Jaziri - Berankis - Fucsovics - Wang - McGee - Lizariturry
VamosRafaNadal is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 10:47 PM   #13
country flag Motoflou
Barkeep

Motoflou has a reputation beyond reputeMotoflou has a reputation beyond reputeMotoflou has a reputation beyond reputeMotoflou has a reputation beyond reputeMotoflou has a reputation beyond reputeMotoflou has a reputation beyond reputeMotoflou has a reputation beyond reputeMotoflou has a reputation beyond reputeMotoflou has a reputation beyond reputeMotoflou has a reputation beyond reputeMotoflou has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looner View Post
Not a bigger joke than this mug thread. People who lose in R2 should not be allowed in the next tournament.
So Roger shouldn't have been allowed to play Wimbledon 2003? k, got it.
Motoflou is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 10:50 PM   #14
country flag B-Nard
Tomic the Tank engine.

B-Nard has a reputation beyond reputeB-Nard has a reputation beyond reputeB-Nard has a reputation beyond reputeB-Nard has a reputation beyond reputeB-Nard has a reputation beyond reputeB-Nard has a reputation beyond reputeB-Nard has a reputation beyond reputeB-Nard has a reputation beyond reputeB-Nard has a reputation beyond reputeB-Nard has a reputation beyond reputeB-Nard has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Motoflou View Post

"Thank you very much for letting me win"
B-Nard is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 10:53 PM   #15
country flag duarte_a
Federer Fan & Dull Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Motoflou View Post
Roger lost in round 1 in 2002 though.