Kiwi in Dubai- results & photos - Page 3 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 02-22-2005, 05:33 PM   #31
country flag Neely
-

Neely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Kiwi in Dubai- results & photos

the only thing that is left to say: damn you, German Eurosport!!!!!!! damn you for not showing an interesting match of #2 seed, Marat Safin against Kiefer damn you, that you preferred WTA tennis... I would have liked to see him on TV again playing a match! Last time I've seen him playing was in December, St. Anton already too long back... hopefully they will cover another match of him soon this week

Best of luck to all Germans : Nicolas Kiefer | Rainer Schüttler | Lars | Florian | Tommy
Neely is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2005, 05:40 PM   #32
country flag knight_ley
KIWI. A KIEFER KIWI.

knight_ley has a reputation beyond reputeknight_ley has a reputation beyond reputeknight_ley has a reputation beyond reputeknight_ley has a reputation beyond reputeknight_ley has a reputation beyond reputeknight_ley has a reputation beyond reputeknight_ley has a reputation beyond reputeknight_ley has a reputation beyond reputeknight_ley has a reputation beyond reputeknight_ley has a reputation beyond reputeknight_ley has a reputation beyond repute

The last time I saw him play was against Henman in USO!!!!!!!! lol....
Old 02-22-2005, 05:52 PM   #33
country flag kek

kek has a reputation beyond reputekek has a reputation beyond reputekek has a reputation beyond reputekek has a reputation beyond reputekek has a reputation beyond reputekek has a reputation beyond reputekek has a reputation beyond reputekek has a reputation beyond reputekek has a reputation beyond reputekek has a reputation beyond reputekek has a reputation beyond repute

Great win for Nicolas. I must admit I didn't have much hope against Marat but I think Nicolas likes a fight and tends to play better against better opponets.

I found this article on the internet:

Kiefer all set to earn his rightful place at the top

By Alaric Gomes, Staff Reporter

Dubai: Former Dubai Men's Open winner Nicolas Kiefer has rediscovered a mantra called hard work.

"I was among the top players in the world, and now I need to be back there," Kiefer told Gulf News after a practice session at the Dubai Tennis Stadium.

"I'll take up this challenge," he added.

The 27-year-old German was the winner of the Dubai Duty Free Men's Open in 2000. The same year he went on to win the Hong Kong Open. But after that he hit a bit of a slump.

"It's been up and down for me," Kiefer stated.

"But then life is all about ups and downs."

Success from the start of this year has not been too enchanting for the German so far. He has made it to the singles quarterfinals in Adelaide, while making the semifinal grade in the doubles at the same tournament along with Radek Stepanek.

"It's nice to be back in Dubai. I love it here. The people are so friendly," Kiefer admitted.

Nicknamed Kiwi, the German was probably the first one to touch down in Dubai after arriving here last Wednesday.

"I wanted to get a bit more time to prepare myself for this tournament," Kiefer said.

"After all, I am one of the previous winners here."

But other than having the edge of arriving early here, Kiefer is aware that an added load of hard work is also needed from him.

"I believe I need the hard work as much as I need the focus to get me going," Kiefer said.

"I know that there is only one way of achieving success and that is through working hard on my game all the time."

Of equal importance for the German is his coach, former ATP pro Thomas Hogstedt.

"He's very important to have around as he helps me iron out the deficiencies in my game," Kiefer stated.

In 2004, Kiefer turned in his most consistent season in four years by reaching four ATP finals and finishing No 20 in the Indesit ATP Race. But a wrist injury forced him out of action for four months.

"To make matters worse, I ran into tough draws at tournaments. So the comeback was not all that cheerful," Kiefer admitted.

However, the German is in no mood to give up. "I love this sport too much," he said.

"I know I have to take up the challenge and for this I have to work hard. And I am ready for the hard work."
kek is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 06:15 PM   #34
User ID 4783

User ID 4783 has a reputation beyond reputeUser ID 4783 has a reputation beyond reputeUser ID 4783 has a reputation beyond reputeUser ID 4783 has a reputation beyond reputeUser ID 4783 has a reputation beyond reputeUser ID 4783 has a reputation beyond reputeUser ID 4783 has a reputation beyond reputeUser ID 4783 has a reputation beyond reputeUser ID 4783 has a reputation beyond reputeUser ID 4783 has a reputation beyond reputeUser ID 4783 has a reputation beyond repute

freut mich total, auch wenn Marat verloren hat.
User ID 4783 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 06:57 PM   #35
country flag knight_ley
KIWI. A KIEFER KIWI.

knight_ley has a reputation beyond reputeknight_ley has a reputation beyond reputeknight_ley has a reputation beyond reputeknight_ley has a reputation beyond reputeknight_ley has a reputation beyond reputeknight_ley has a reputation beyond reputeknight_ley has a reputation beyond reputeknight_ley has a reputation beyond reputeknight_ley has a reputation beyond reputeknight_ley has a reputation beyond reputeknight_ley has a reputation beyond repute

The only picture I've found from Kiwi's win today so far........
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dubai_maratwin.jpg (38.4 KB, 5 views)
Old 02-22-2005, 07:11 PM   #36
country flag Jogy

Jogy has a reputation beyond reputeJogy has a reputation beyond reputeJogy has a reputation beyond reputeJogy has a reputation beyond reputeJogy has a reputation beyond reputeJogy has a reputation beyond reputeJogy has a reputation beyond reputeJogy has a reputation beyond reputeJogy has a reputation beyond reputeJogy has a reputation beyond reputeJogy has a reputation beyond repute

surprise, surprise....
now he MUST WINS against his next oponent or the win versus Safin wasn't worth!

RAFA owns Fedclown ~~~ H2H record 14-7 -- ~~~ 3 different GS finals included
Byebye Fedjerk, your dominance period is over! Nadal will win like 10 more Slams!

Zero tolerance against dopers!
Jogy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 07:53 PM   #37
country flag JMG

JMG has a reputation beyond reputeJMG has a reputation beyond reputeJMG has a reputation beyond reputeJMG has a reputation beyond reputeJMG has a reputation beyond reputeJMG has a reputation beyond reputeJMG has a reputation beyond reputeJMG has a reputation beyond reputeJMG has a reputation beyond reputeJMG has a reputation beyond reputeJMG has a reputation beyond repute

Now they'll show another boring Federer 6-2 6-2-win tomorrow.

I was a bit afraid of Söderling, but LEE is definitely a must-win. It would make the start of the season acceptable.
JMG is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 09:03 PM   #38
country flag Tricky_Forehand

Tricky_Forehand has a reputation beyond reputeTricky_Forehand has a reputation beyond reputeTricky_Forehand has a reputation beyond reputeTricky_Forehand has a reputation beyond reputeTricky_Forehand has a reputation beyond reputeTricky_Forehand has a reputation beyond reputeTricky_Forehand has a reputation beyond reputeTricky_Forehand has a reputation beyond reputeTricky_Forehand has a reputation beyond reputeTricky_Forehand has a reputation beyond reputeTricky_Forehand has a reputation beyond repute

Kiwi!!!

I got up this morning to see this great result!! Motivated me to study for 2 hours
's-Hertogenbosch - 4th place
GSTAAD - WINNER
Tricky_Forehand is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 09:38 PM   #39
country flag Neely
-

Neely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond repute

from Tennis Week

Quote:
Kiefer Sweeps Safin In Dubai

By Sarah Alvanipour
02/22/2005

Tennis fans salivating at the prospect of a scintillating rematch between top-ranked Roger Federer and Australian Open champion Marat Safin may have dry mouth in waiting until next month's Pacific Life Open in Indian Wells for a possible Safin-Federer clash. Germany's Nicolas Kiefer swept the second-seeded Safin out of the Dubai Tennis Championships with today's 7-6(2), 6-4 triumph.

The 30th-ranked Kiefer was on a hot streak this time last year, reaching successive finals in Memphis and Scottsdale, but this season he opted to play European tour events, without much success — until today.

Entering this encounter on a four-match losing streak, Kiefer played one of the best matches in recent years to take down the towering two-time Grand Slam champion. Though the victory is an upset on paper, Kiefer took the court with the confidence of a player who has enjoyed success against Safin in the past. The 27-year-old German edged Safin, 6-7, 6-4, 7-6 at the Tennis Masters Series-Canada last year and evened their head-to-head series at three matches apiece with today's victory.

Safin played well, but missed key opportunities as the unseeded Kiefer capitalized on his mistakes.

It was a reversal of fortune for the pair on server as Kiefer enjoyed an exceptional serving day, hitting eight aces to Safin’s six, but what made the difference today was Kiefer’s aggressive play at net. The crafty Kiefer snuck into net surprising Safin on occasion.

A confident Safin held easily throughout the first set without facing a single break point. With both men refusing to be broken, the set was sent to a decisive tiebreak, which is when the battle became more one-sided. Kiefer served up two aces in the process while earning points off of Safin’s untimely mistakes to seize the tiebreak, 7-2.

Safin went from service sizzling in the first set to fizzling in the second set. He double faulted on break point in his first service game to donate the break. Safin surrendered serve yet again in the seventh game of the set putting Kiefer up 5-2 and allowing him to serve for the match.

But Kiefer, whose high ball toss can sometimes create issues on serve, had a hiccup when the pressure was on to serve for the match. Going down 0-40, the German survived two break points before his forehand sailed just wide, allowing the Russian to win back one of his breaks.

Kiefer, the 2000 Dubai champion, had another opportunity to serve for the match in the tenth game, and did not squander the opportunity, serving his eighth ace on match point, and earning a berth into the second round where he will play Korea's Hyung-Taik Lee, who beat Robin Soderling, 7-5, 6-4.

In other opening-round results: seventh-seeded Russian Mikhail Youzhny defeated Thomas Johansson, 7-6(3), 61; Igor Andreev stopped Swiss qualifier Marco Chiudinelli, 6-3, 7-5; and sixth-seeded Russian Nikolay Davydenko defeated Frenchman Fabrice Santoro, 6-3, 6-0.

Best of luck to all Germans : Nicolas Kiefer | Rainer Schüttler | Lars | Florian | Tommy
Old 02-22-2005, 09:48 PM   #40
country flag knight_ley
KIWI. A KIEFER KIWI.

thanks neely!!!!!
Old 02-22-2005, 10:19 PM   #41
country flag Neely
-

A few headlines I stumbled across on the internet:

z.B. Yahoo: "Kiefer feiert Auferstehung gegen Safin" --> "Kiefer is having a resurrection against Safin" .... not too bad this headline, I like it somehow... after many 1st round losses it was a tough drought and the task this tournament didn't get any easier...

z.B. Spiegel/Tennismagazin: "Kiefer schickt Safin zurück in die Wüste" --> "Kiefer sends Safin packing back to the desert" ... well, sounds a bit strange because this win wasn't THAT easy and because Safin didn't come from the desert, but from Russia LOL

z.B. Focus: "Safin weggeputzt: Kiefer schlägt die Nummer 1" --> "Safin snuffed out: Kiefer beats number 1" ... okay, they use the Champions Race for this headline because it sounds always better to say "beat the number one than to say he has beaten the #4 (according to the entry ranking). The thing that bothered me was that they quoted Kiwi saying: "Es ist immer ein geiles Gefühl, die Nummer 1 der Welt zu schlagen. Ich habe ein Superspiel hingelegt, das habe ich nicht erwartet" in which he also referred to Safin as #1. Sure, it's no lie, Safin is the #1 in the Race, but I really didn't think that the tennis player also use the Champions Race a lot strage...

z.B. Kölner STA: "Kiefer entzaubert Safin" --> "Kiefer disenchants Safin" ... LOL, I like the magical reference soooo much... even though it sounds a bit exaggerated

z.B. Merkur: "Kiefer schaltet Australian Open Champion aus" --> "Kiefer eliminates Australian Open Champion" ... probably the best and most solid headline

Funny to see that all, it was long time ago he had so many interesting and positive headlines
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Kiefer_Dubai2005-01.jpg (19.6 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by Neely : 02-22-2005 at 10:27 PM.
Old 02-22-2005, 10:20 PM   #42
country flag knight_ley
KIWI. A KIEFER KIWI.

Yay!!!!!!! The word fits nicely

This is so exciting

I love that picture

Last edited by mary b : 02-22-2005 at 10:30 PM.
knight_ley is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 12:14 AM   #43
country flag sol

sol has a reputation beyond reputesol has a reputation beyond reputesol has a reputation beyond reputesol has a reputation beyond reputesol has a reputation beyond reputesol has a reputation beyond reputesol has a reputation beyond reputesol has a reputation beyond reputesol has a reputation beyond reputesol has a reputation beyond reputesol has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats, Kiwi! Great win!

I'm also a big fan of Marat , but Kiwi needs this sort of win to recover the confidence.

Good luck in the next match!

Thanks for the reports and pics!

http://www.smh.com.au/news/Sport/Kie...?oneclick=true

Quote:
Kiefer ousts Safin from Dubai Open
February 23, 2005 - 11:09AM

Marat Safin, playing his first match since winning the Australian Open three weeks ago, was beaten in the opening round of the $US1 million ($A1.3 million) Dubai Open, eliminated by Germany's Nicolas Kiefer 7-6 (2), 6-4.

Safin looked sluggish and was admittedly uncomfortable against the 30th-ranked Kiefer.

Kiefer "was playing the kind of game that doesn't give you any sort of rhythm," the second-seeded Russian said.

"Chipping and charging, slicing and spinning and changing the power."

Kiefer, the 2000 Dubai champion and a two-time finalist in the United Arab Emirates, earned grudging applause from a capacity crowd, which overwhelmingly supported Safin.

"It is never easy against Marat," Kiefer said.

"He is one of the top players in the world and has just won the Australian Open. So yes, I am very happy with my game today.

"I started a bit slowly in the first set but then I started getting my serves in. It is important to serve well against these guys."

Safin never appeared in control and credited Kiefer for capitalising.

"Kiefer has a lot of experience. He saw I wasn't very comfortable on the court and he seized the moment," Safin said.

"The ball was flying a lot and the court was a bit fast I couldn't find a grip on the ball. I kept missing and was a bit too careful with the ball."

He denied the suggestion that a lack of match practice was to blame.

"If I had played a few more matches, who could have guaranteed that I will win?" he said.

"It is just the beginning of the season and there are many tournaments to go."

Nicolas Kiefer of Germany returns the ball to Marat Safin of Russia in the first round of the Dubai Tennis Champinships February 22, 2005. Kiefer won 7-6 6-4. REUTERS/Caren Firouz

Nicolas Kiefer of Germany celebrates his victory over Marat Safin of Russia in the first round of the Dubai Tennis Championships in Dubai February 22, 2005. Kiefer won 7-6 6-4. REUTERS/Caren Firouz

Nicolas Kiefer of Germany hits the ball during his match again Marat Safin of Russia in the first round of the Dubai Tennis Championships. February 22, 2005. REUTERS/Caren Firouz
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...ujo/Noel37.gif

->Support the Fabrice "The Magic" Santoro Forum Request<-

sol is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 12:26 AM   #44
country flag kfh_9118

kfh_9118 has a reputation beyond reputekfh_9118 has a reputation beyond reputekfh_9118 has a reputation beyond reputekfh_9118 has a reputation beyond reputekfh_9118 has a reputation beyond reputekfh_9118 has a reputation beyond reputekfh_9118 has a reputation beyond reputekfh_9118 has a reputation beyond reputekfh_9118 has a reputation beyond reputekfh_9118 has a reputation beyond reputekfh_9118 has a reputation beyond repute

Kiwi

Really really unexpected

Good luck next round against Lee

"K I W I"

K I E F E R

GOOD LUCK: Nicolas Kiefer- Tommy Robredo- Andy Roddick- Andre Agassi- Andrei Pavel- Juan Carlos Ferrero- Dominik Hrbaty- Mardy Fish
kfh_9118 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 12:58 AM   #45
country flag knight_ley
KIWI. A KIEFER KIWI.

another picture from today
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dubai_maratwin4.jpg (46.8 KB, 11 views)