#changebrazil - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 06-17-2013, 06:01 AM   #1
country flag Ilovetheblues_86

Ilovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond repute
Default #changebrazil

Together with our brothers from Turkey. Please spread the word.

MAY THE SPIRIT OF KOSTAS PROTECT US
Ilovetheblues_86 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2013, 06:05 AM   #2

Ilovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: #changebrazil

For nearly a week now, Brazilians have taken to the streets to violently protest a rise in public transportation fares.

Thousands of young men and women across cities like Sao Paulo, Rio de Janeiro, Natal, Florianopolis, and Porto Alegre have blocked important avenues and faced off against riot police in an effort to revert a 10-cent hike in bus and subway prices that went into effect on June 1. (The raise is below inflation, according to authorities, and it will not be reverted.)

The protests, initially led in Sao Paulo by Movimento Passe Livre (Free Fare Movement), a Brazilian political group founded in 2004 that calls for free public transportation, spread across various cities and became ever more vicious as the week progressed.

By Friday, allegations of police violence, vandalism, and intolerance – i.e. frustrated motorists running over protestors -- made headlines in Brazilian newspapers. At least 235 demonstrators were arrested Thursday night in Sao Paulo in one of the week's most violent clashes, and 55 people, seven journalists included, were injured in the street battles in which the police acted "arbitrarily and violently," according to Joao Cardozo, Brazil's defense minister.

Already, the demonstrations have multiplied and grown in scope. Leftist groups, political parties, and university students have joined with activists from the Free Fare Movement, and are seizing the public transportation issue as a starting point to ask for other social and financial transformations.

"The problem has never been the increase of 10 cents at the turnstiles," wrote Gilberto de Souza, the chief editor of the Correio do Brasil, an online newspaper from Rio de Janeiro. "The issue is more serious." "Brazil is currently living through a generalized collapse of its infrastructure," Phillip Viana, an engineering student at the University of São Paulo who attended the demonstrations told The Wall Street Journal. "We have problems with ports, airports, public transportation, health, education. We're a poor country and the level of taxation is very high."

The Brazilian economy is not as strong as it used to be. In fact, it is currently experiencing a minor crisis. Inflation is high—6.5 percent in the past year—the stock exchange has been losing ground and, as El País notes, prices of basic services like public transportation are disproportionate when compared to the minimum wage. All of those factors have led to a decline in President Dilma Roussef's popularity.

Those issues, coupled with a feeling of resentment borne out of the massive expenses incurred by the preparations for the World Cup and the Olympics, have bred an environment for the sort of protests Brazil is seeing today.

The movement has spread on social media as well. There, Brazilians have expressed their enthusiasm for the demonstrations by promoting hashtags like #PasseLivre, #ProtestaBrasil, #BrasilAcordou, and #vinagre, which started trending after news broke out that a Brazilian journalist was reportedly arrested for carrying vinegar. (Vinegar, like milk and lime juice, can help counter the effect of tear gas, as any public university student in Latin America knows).

"Quality public transportation, this is the minimum," @LullySoder tweeted from Santa Cruz do Sul, a small city in Porto Alegre. "I'm Really far but I SUPPORT THE FREE PASS MOVEMENT!"

Old 06-17-2013, 11:41 PM   #3

Old 06-18-2013, 12:32 AM   #4

Old 06-18-2013, 01:20 AM   #5

Tens of thousands of people marched through Brazil's largest city, Sao Paulo, on Monday as protests spread over rising public transport prices and the cost of staging the 2014 World Cup.

Demonstrations also took place in Brasilia, Rio de Janeiro and Belem.

Earlier, there were clashes with police in Belo Horizonte, as protesters tried to make their way to a stadium hosting a Confederations Cup match.

The protests began last week, after the announcement of increased bus fares.

But the complaints of demonstrators soon extended beyond transport costs when clashes in Sao Paulo led to claims of excessive use of force by police. Dozens of people were hurt, including several journalists.

Since then, protesters have voiced frustration at public transport, security, health and the extent of public investment in two international football tournaments.

The protests have increased since the start of the Confederations Cup on Saturday, seen as a dress rehearsal for the 2014 World Cup.

As Monday's protests gathered strength , demonstrators in the capital, Brasilia breached the high security area of the national congress building, climbing onto the roof of the Oscar Niemeyer-designed structure.

In Sao Paulo earlier, security chiefs met protest organisers in an attempt to avert trouble.

Brazilian television station Globo reported that the authorities had decided not to use rubber bullets while policing the demonstration.

Wave of protests
Before Saturday's opening match of the Confederations Cup in the capital, Brasilia, protesters tried to approach the Mane Garrincha stadium, but were dispersed by the police.

The following day, a similar march close to the Maracana stadium in Rio, where Mexico were playing Italy, was ended by police with rubber bullets and tear gas.

Eyewitnesses said police used riot control measures - including firing rubber bullets and tear gas - against peaceful protesters.

Police denied they had acted unlawfully but said they would investigate the allegations.

Protesters who initially campaigned against increased bus fares have also expressed anger about inequality and corruption, demanding higher public spending on education and health.

Dozens of buses and buildings have so far been damageds, prompting Sao Paulo Governor Geraldo Alckmin to describe demonstrators as "vandals".

Prices for a single ticket in Sao Paulo were increased on 2 June from 3 reals ($1.40, £0.90) to 3.20 reals.

Authorities say the rise is well below inflation, which since the last price rise in January 2011 has been at 15.5%, according to official figures.

Old 06-18-2013, 01:25 AM   #6

Old 06-18-2013, 03:05 AM   #7
country flag Sauletekis

Sauletekis has a reputation beyond reputeSauletekis has a reputation beyond reputeSauletekis has a reputation beyond reputeSauletekis has a reputation beyond reputeSauletekis has a reputation beyond reputeSauletekis has a reputation beyond reputeSauletekis has a reputation beyond reputeSauletekis has a reputation beyond reputeSauletekis has a reputation beyond reputeSauletekis has a reputation beyond reputeSauletekis has a reputation beyond repute

I bet this wouldn't happen in February... We all know why.

Sporting Clube de Portugal, Fútbol Club Barcelona, Newcastle United Football Club, FK Vilniaus Žalgiris
Sauletekis is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 04:22 AM   #8

Yeah, I am just posting this here because even the land of carnival where everything ends in samba decided to riot.
At least 200,000 people decided to riot this monday in 9 state capitals; and other protests are expected. People invadaded the roof of the National Congress in Brasilia. Is the first big popular movement since the impeachment of President Collor in 1992.
The social networks are helping a very apathetic country to send its message to the streets.

Old 06-18-2013, 06:44 PM   #9
country flag out_here_grindin

out_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder how many of the protestors actually care about the issues or are affected by them in a terribly negative way.

Follow college tennis here.. (I am the user Clemson_tennis)
out_here_grindin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 08:38 PM   #10
country flag ne znam ali mozda

ne znam ali mozda has a reputation beyond reputene znam ali mozda has a reputation beyond reputene znam ali mozda has a reputation beyond reputene znam ali mozda has a reputation beyond reputene znam ali mozda has a reputation beyond reputene znam ali mozda has a reputation beyond reputene znam ali mozda has a reputation beyond reputene znam ali mozda has a reputation beyond reputene znam ali mozda has a reputation beyond reputene znam ali mozda has a reputation beyond reputene znam ali mozda has a reputation beyond repute

ne znam ali mozda is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 09:14 PM   #11
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

buddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond repute

What does "free transport" mean?

"Make it free for me and let someone else pay the costs? I don't really care who. Just not me."

Seems to me there is no such thing as free transport.
Old 06-21-2013, 05:18 AM   #12

Its about many proposals like increasing the property laxes to fund the transport.

By the way, one million in the streets today, 0,5% of brazilian population.

Some left wingers fear a right wing coup d'etat because people dont believe in parties and were being violent against left wing supporters.

Sao Paulo government decided to come back and now the bus tariff went from 3,20 to 3,00.

Old 06-21-2013, 06:24 AM   #13
country flag Punky

Punky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovetheblues_86 View Post
wow so many ppl, that is impressive!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovetheblues_86 View Post
spot on!!!
things were created to be used.
The reason why the world is in chaos is because things are being loved, and people are being used."

"יברכך ה' וישמרך,יאר ה' פניו אליך ויחונך,ישא ה' פניו אליך וישם לך שלום"
Punky is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 06:59 AM   #14
country flag B-Nard
Tomic the Tank engine.

B-Nard has a reputation beyond reputeB-Nard has a reputation beyond reputeB-Nard has a reputation beyond reputeB-Nard has a reputation beyond reputeB-Nard has a reputation beyond reputeB-Nard has a reputation beyond reputeB-Nard has a reputation beyond reputeB-Nard has a reputation beyond reputeB-Nard has a reputation beyond reputeB-Nard has a reputation beyond reputeB-Nard has a reputation beyond repute

Is this Syria 2.0?

"Thank you very much for letting me win"
B-Nard is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 03:32 PM   #15

Syria has ethnic and faction conflicts such as nationalists sunites x xiites x kurds.

Brazil is only one ethnicity, mate.