Anyone watching The Borgias? - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 06-15-2013, 03:27 PM   #1
country flag Sophitia36

Sophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Anyone watching The Borgias?

I have been watching The Borgias and I think it's the best "historical" series I have seen since Rome, possibly even as good.

I was afraid it would be quite cheap and mostly based on sex, violence and general debauchery to attract the viewers... But in the end, it turned out to be a splendidly written, superbly acted and wonderfully crafted show. Mr Neil Jordan's work on the dialogues and with the camera is amazing as always.
All the actors are breathtaking, including secondary roles, and also including relatively unknown actors like Holliday Grainger (Lucrezia) and François Arnaud (Cesare, who in my opinion is so good he can even steal scenes from the Great Jeremy Irons).
I already knew David Oakes (Juan Borgia) from The Pillars of the Earth, and this young actor is also truly fascinating and extremely good at playing evil.
My favourite character is probably Micheletto, Cesare's henchman, whose relationship with his master kind of resembles Tyrion Lannister's relationship with Bronn in GoT, but even more intense.

One of the reasons why I'm creating this post is that it has just been announced that the series would abruptly brought to an end, and that the final season would be cancelled.

Fans (especially Showtime subscribers) are very angry at this decision. The series has been suffering from the competition of Game of Thrones, and it is on a smaller network, but the ratings were still good enough and growing.

There is a small chance of success obviously, but if anyone's interested, here is the link to the "campaign" organized by the fans of The Borgias:
http://msbono.tumblr.com/post/525767...e-feel-unloved

The most important things right now are probably the online petition, and tomorrow's mass tweeting event #SaveTheBorgias.

Or you can just discuss the Borgias here with me if you prefer ^^
Sophitia36 is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2013, 04:21 PM   #2
country flag Ivelina_P

Ivelina_P has a reputation beyond reputeIvelina_P has a reputation beyond reputeIvelina_P has a reputation beyond reputeIvelina_P has a reputation beyond reputeIvelina_P has a reputation beyond reputeIvelina_P has a reputation beyond reputeIvelina_P has a reputation beyond reputeIvelina_P has a reputation beyond reputeIvelina_P has a reputation beyond reputeIvelina_P has a reputation beyond reputeIvelina_P has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone watching The Borgias?

I've watched Seasons 1 and 2 and LOVED it!
I hadn't seen anything of the third season so far and planned to download it when it's all finished.That's outrageous,why on earth would they cancel the show???
Anyway very beautiful show,liked it even more than The Tudors,didn't even think it could've been possible.
And agree on the Micheletto character,he was my favourite too.Along with the French king.
P.S.That king was the Warlocq of the series :P

Washington = unofficial 5th Slam
http://ivelinacp.tumblr.com/image/55430905367
Mark Lenders = Gospel of Objective Unbiased Analysis
Topspindoctor = Pillar of MTF
Abel = GOAT
Ivelina_P is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 04:59 PM   #3
country flag Sophitia36

Sophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond repute

Oh! I absolutely loved the French king, as well. I was very pleased that they hired real French actors to play practically all the French characters.

I also liked it a lot more than the Tudors, but I was not so crazy about the Tudors. I mean, I don't mind it too much when historical shows or films take some liberties with history... I guess they just have to, but the Tudors really took it very far. Jonathan Rhys-Meyers as Henry VIII in the first place was really unbelievable, because Henry's appearance is so well-known... I guess the same could be said about Jeremy Irons as well, he's probably far more handsome than the real Borgia pope, but somehow it doesn't bother me as much because the appearance of Pope Alexander is not that well-known (and he was supposed to be a womanizer with a lot of sex appeal, apparently).

Honestly, I've just watched the end of season 3 of the Borgias, and when they try to claim this is a "natural conclusion"... They are totally making fun of their viewers. It is absolutely not a conclusion in ANY way, and if anything, it makes our mouths water by pointing out all the directions in which the story is going to go...
Knowing how the story really ended, I am also very disappointed, because, I don't want to spoil people who don't know, but the historical conclusion of the Borgia Pope story makes a great script and would be a perfect conclusion for the show.

I really hope the campaign can succeed. Obviously I am not a Showtime subscriber, since I'm not American, but I hope people cancel their subscriptions in protest.
I don't know if crowd funding might be a solution... I'm sure many of the foreign fans who cannot subscribe would gladly donate a little money to make season 4 happen.
Sadly, I think the problem is not so much money or ratings, but rather Neil Jordan's unwillingness to make season 4. For some reason, his lack of motivation to make season 4 was very obvious in his latest interviews. Apparently he wanted to make a 2-hour movie instead (which makes no sense whatsoever... but would have still been better than nothing at all). Showtime did not agree, and my guess is that this created a stalemate. Jordan wouldn't direct season 4, and Showtime did not want a movie. So they stopped everything.

I guess the only hopes left are either to convince Jordan of doing season 4 by showing him how much it means to the fans and how much we appreciated his work, or to convince Showtime to go on with another director... or to convince another network to take up the show. All of these seem pretty unlikely but it's worth trying.
Old 06-15-2013, 06:51 PM   #4
country flag Nr 1 Fan

Nr 1 Fan has a reputation beyond reputeNr 1 Fan has a reputation beyond reputeNr 1 Fan has a reputation beyond reputeNr 1 Fan has a reputation beyond reputeNr 1 Fan has a reputation beyond reputeNr 1 Fan has a reputation beyond reputeNr 1 Fan has a reputation beyond reputeNr 1 Fan has a reputation beyond reputeNr 1 Fan has a reputation beyond reputeNr 1 Fan has a reputation beyond reputeNr 1 Fan has a reputation beyond repute

Seen the first season and liked a lot. Haven't been able to watch the rest though, shame they decided to call off the 4th season.
Nr 1 Fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 10:26 PM   #5
country flag Sophitia36

The petition will probably reach 10,000 signatures before Thursday... I don't know if it will be any use, but at least Showtime will know that international fans exist (even if they aren't subscribers) and that their subscribers are not happy about being treated like idiots.

Apparently other networks in other countries are beginning to broadcast the show at the moment. It will be on French TV from the beginning of July!
Old 06-21-2013, 12:38 AM   #6
country flag Punky

Punky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophitia36 View Post
I have been watching The Borgias and I think it's the best "historical" series I have seen since Rome, possibly even as good.

I was afraid it would be quite cheap and mostly based on sex, violence and general debauchery to attract the viewers... But in the end, it turned out to be a splendidly written, superbly acted and wonderfully crafted show. Mr Neil Jordan's work on the dialogues and with the camera is amazing as always.
All the actors are breathtaking, including secondary roles, and also including relatively unknown actors like Holliday Grainger (Lucrezia) and François Arnaud (Cesare, who in my opinion is so good he can even steal scenes from the Great Jeremy Irons).
I already knew David Oakes (Juan Borgia) from The Pillars of the Earth, and this young actor is also truly fascinating and extremely good at playing evil.
My favourite character is probably Micheletto, Cesare's henchman, whose relationship with his master kind of resembles Tyrion Lannister's relationship with Bronn in GoT, but even more intense.

One of the reasons why I'm creating this post is that it has just been announced that the series would abruptly brought to an end, and that the final season would be cancelled.

Fans (especially Showtime subscribers) are very angry at this decision. The series has been suffering from the competition of Game of Thrones, and it is on a smaller network, but the ratings were still good enough and growing.

There is a small chance of success obviously, but if anyone's interested, here is the link to the "campaign" organized by the fans of The Borgias:
http://msbono.tumblr.com/post/525767...e-feel-unloved

The most important things right now are probably the online petition, and tomorrow's mass tweeting event #SaveTheBorgias.

Or you can just discuss the Borgias here with me if you prefer ^^
what????????????? im in season 1, close to the end but what??? are they stupid??????? its a great show, great actors great story line

Poor decision
things were created to be used.
The reason why the world is in chaos is because things are being loved, and people are being used."

"יברכך ה' וישמרך,יאר ה' פניו אליך ויחונך,ישא ה' פניו אליך וישם לך שלום"
Punky is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 04:31 AM   #7
country flag tennisfan856

tennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond repute

the season finale only had 500k viewers. It's a miracle it even lasted this long since that has been the avg for most of the episodes.
tennisfan856 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 11:35 AM   #8
country flag Sophitia36

Hey! Sorry to dig this up, but I just wanted to give an update on this topic:

The Save The Borgias fan campaign which has been going on for about 2 months has convinced a website called SMGO.tv (Show Must Go On) to help us bring back The Borgias.

We are in PHASE 2 of the process: MASS VOTING!

We need 15,000 votes to move on to the crowdfunding phase. We can do it, we have 16,000 signatures on our petition!

Please if you're interested in bringing back The Borgias, of even if you are only willing to help us spread the word, this is the link:

http://www.smgo.tv/shows/the-borgias/

We need people to vote, and share the link! Thank you
Old 08-14-2013, 04:48 AM   #9
country flag Punky

Punky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond repute

i will send the link to my email list

im totally in
things were created to be used.
The reason why the world is in chaos is because things are being loved, and people are being used."

"יברכך ה' וישמרך,יאר ה' פניו אליך ויחונך,ישא ה' פניו אליך וישם לך שלום"
Punky is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 05:51 AM   #10
country flag tennisfan856

tennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond repute

The creator released an ebook this week on the conclusion of the show. Apparently, it's not getting good publicity.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Borgia-Apo.../dp/B00EHJMWHO

Last edited by tennisfan856 : 08-14-2013 at 05:53 AM.
tennisfan856 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 06:57 PM   #11
country flag Sophitia36

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisfan856 View Post
The creator released an ebook this week on the conclusion of the show. Apparently, it's not getting good publicity.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Borgia-Apo.../dp/B00EHJMWHO
Well, to be honest, this e-book is one of the worst things that could happen to the fan campaign. Everything in it is rushed, it just jumps from one thing to another... you can tell he tried to cram the equivalent of a whole season into a two-hour movie.

Also, another problem is that he did not give all the fans of Cesare and Lucrezia the kind of ending they wanted to see. Since these Cesare/Lucrezia lovers represent an important part of the fanbase, it means a lot of fans are angry.$

But well, I'm sure that Neil Jordan is no fool, and he will see the reviews he got from fans. This was a script he wrote after being told he would not get a season 4. It can be re-written.

Actually, this script convinces me that we really need a mini-series at least. A film will not be enough, or else, it must be re-written.
Old 08-15-2013, 09:02 PM   #12
country flag Noleta

Noleta has a reputation beyond reputeNoleta has a reputation beyond reputeNoleta has a reputation beyond reputeNoleta has a reputation beyond reputeNoleta has a reputation beyond reputeNoleta has a reputation beyond reputeNoleta has a reputation beyond reputeNoleta has a reputation beyond reputeNoleta has a reputation beyond reputeNoleta has a reputation beyond reputeNoleta has a reputation beyond repute

I loved Rome,so was in 2 minds about The Borgias,but was totally hooked from season 1.Great cast,i can't believe next week i'll be watching the last ever episode.