Gilles Simon's Chat Thread #1 - Page 105 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Closed Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 11:47 AM   #1561
country flag Truc

Truc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gilles Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by gambit84 View Post
"Question: What would you say are the best aspects to your game?

Gilles: Best aspects, I don’t know"
through these words we can understand how Gilles is modest
Are you shocked because I used the word "presumptuous"? Gasquet is modest, yes, while Gilles... has a complex personality! His statement after the Youzhny match is a good example imo. I agree he seems very unsecure in a way, but that's only a part of it.
He admits himself being overproud at times ("excès d'orgueil"), I can find the quotes if you want. I'm not saying that in a negative way, I like on the contrary he's speaking his mind and not being falsely modest.

But if I hadn't seen his match against Nadal at the AO for example (which I really liked!), I would have gotten a wrong impression just by listening to his post-match interview. That's why I asked "gasquet24" what he thought of the reaction and if Gilles really was the better player on Sunday and should have won that match in his opinion.
Truc is offline View My Blog!  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2008, 11:49 AM   #1562
country flag Truc

Truc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond repute

As for his serve, his 2nd serve is really weak, but his 1st serve didn't look that bad to me in his last tournaments, I think it's mental too, he holds nicely the whole set and as soon as he gets a break and needs to drive the point home, bing! he gets broken. He did that all the time in Rotterdam.

He can still improve so many things... His game still looks "en travaux" to me - how do you say that in English? "Caution, work in progress", lol? So it's not always pretty to watch, but that's what I find interesting.

It's funny you mention "his geometric shots that cover all the court" and Hingis, though, because that's something I miss with him, on the contrary, I do see a similarity with Hingis, but I don't think he uses all the court so well, he never plays cross court shots, no angles, no dropshots...

Last edited by Truc : 03-18-2008 at 12:23 PM.
Old 03-18-2008, 01:11 PM   #1563
country flag gambit84

gambit84 has a reputation beyond reputegambit84 has a reputation beyond reputegambit84 has a reputation beyond reputegambit84 has a reputation beyond reputegambit84 has a reputation beyond reputegambit84 has a reputation beyond reputegambit84 has a reputation beyond reputegambit84 has a reputation beyond reputegambit84 has a reputation beyond reputegambit84 has a reputation beyond reputegambit84 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truc View Post

It's funny you mention "his geometric shots that cover all the court" and Hingis, though, because that's something I miss with him, on the contrary, I do see a similarity with Hingis, but I don't think he uses all the court so well, he never plays cross court shots, no angles, no dropshots...
I talk about Martina for the way who Gilles hit the ball, for his precision, for his passing shots. He can't play an hitter tennis, his ball isn't "heavy" but he win match with his geometric sense on the court. It's true that he don't use dropshots and angles but when I see his elegance hitting the ball I compare him to Martina
I refered to his quaulity of hitting ball and not to the variety of shots
Anyway this is an atypical tennis for modern players; he's distant from the other french players and their various shots and complete techniques and distant from Paulo, another atypical french player who loves hit the ball hard like other Bollettieri's players. It's one of the reason for wich I love him

About his personality maybe his modest is only a part of his complex but with the tennis player i admit I'm quite empathic and everytime I saw him he appeared to me like a simple boy
Old 03-19-2008, 12:00 PM   #1564
country flag Truc

Quote:
Originally Posted by gambit84 View Post
I talk about Martina for the way who Gilles hit the ball, for his precision, for his passing shots. He can't play an hitter tennis, his ball isn't "heavy" but he win match with his geometric sense on the court. It's true that he don't use dropshots and angles but when I see his elegance hitting the ball I compare him to Martina
I completely agree then, that's what appeals to me too in his game. I had never thought of Hingis, but you're right. As for me, I often compare him with Coria (I know the Frenchies hate Coria).
And as a Coriatarde I'm always scared when the guys try to change their game, I think it killed Coria's game and confidence when Perlas made him come more to the net (he couldn't volley to save his life). I know Gilles is different in many regards, but still, it can be tricky when it's not a natural thing. I always think Gilles could improve a lot on other things too, which might me more natural for him or easier to reach, like a better use of the whole court, a better stamina...
But well, I quite like Tulasne, I guess he knows what he's doing.
Old 03-19-2008, 12:08 PM   #1565
country flag Truc

He entered Munich! Puschkin is definitely going to make fun of me now if I go to Munich to stalk my boys, but I'm seriously tempted as an alternative to Hamburg, I hardly know Munich compared to Hamburg...

Anyway, after our little discussion I found this article again which is one year old, I don't think it was posted yet? "Mousquetaires de réserve" in L'Equipe Magazine. It confirms he is *not* a hardworker. I'll try to translate some parts later, unless it was already posted. I like Tulasne's conclusion ("he hasn't got much facial hair yet, I think he'll be 'physically mature' at the age of 25-26").
http://img503.imageshack.us/img503/5...rserve1vb3.jpg
http://img182.imageshack.us/img182/2...ervegilpf1.jpg

Last edited by Truc : 03-19-2008 at 02:35 PM.
Old 03-19-2008, 12:26 PM   #1566
country flag jitterbug

jitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond repute

Never too great a distance when it comes to stalking... Go for it, Fran

and maybe you can have a laugh about it with your grandkids in around 50 years' time about the time when 'grandma' was a Simon fangirl.

The importance of being Ernests Riga Mortis

Ernests Gulbis on seeing HEAD racquets being made by hand:
Quote:
I felt so bad. I didn’t break a racquet for like one month. They are putting so much effort to make the racquets and an idiot like me goes and breaks them
jitterbug is offline View My Blog!  
Old 03-19-2008, 01:04 PM   #1567
country flag gambit84

gambit84 has a reputation beyond reputegambit84 has a reputation beyond reputegambit84 has a reputation beyond reputegambit84 has a reputation beyond reputegambit84 has a reputation beyond reputegambit84 has a reputation beyond reputegambit84 has a reputation beyond reputegambit84 has a reputation beyond reputegambit84 has a reputation beyond reputegambit84 has a reputation beyond reputegambit84 has a reputation beyond repute

Truc I'm a great fan of Guille
Old 03-19-2008, 05:19 PM   #1568
country flag Truc

Not everybody here is, if I remember well.

I'm old enough to have grandkids already, jitterbug.
I'm 38 years old, it is hopeless, I'll probably remain a fangirl for the rest of my life.

I'm really liking the whole entry list of Munich, but I checked the dates and I'm not sure it will be possible...
Old 03-19-2008, 05:20 PM   #1569
country flag Truc

Here's the "summary" of the article of May 2007 I just posted: "The reserve Musketeers" (= Gilles, Flo Serra and Marc Gicquel)

It's easy to write an article about the 3 of them since they're always together on tournaments and sometimes even share an hotel room (I don't think it's true anymore they spend much time together...) 3 pure products of the French Tennis Federation (vs. Lagardère Team), who all had a hard time in the juniors competitions and also all passed the "bac" (French high school diploma). Other common point: none of them has gone far in a Grand Slam yet.

Gilles Simon: The tactician
Better than his actual ranking (he was #54 at that time), he has the intelligence/the sense of the game, but isn't the born hardworker.

He's pulling a long face when they meet him after a training session with Serra and Gicquel. The official reason: a severe gastro-enteritis due to an allergic reaction to cheese which will bother him during the entire clay season 2007. The other reason is that the French Davis Cup team is playing at the same time in Moscow and he isn't on the team, although he was the French number 2 when Forget made his team. And that doesn't go down (even more than the cheese). His agent is monitoring the interview carefully, obviously afraid he might say anything too controversial.
Gilles: "No no, I'm not hurt... But being number 2 in both rankings, for a tie on clay, which is a surface I like... it won't be easy to have so favourable conditions again for a first selection."
Tulasne, who is a big friend of Forget, tries to calm him down: "I told him Forget does follow what he is doing. But to be on the team, he needs to win big matches in big tournaments, like a quarter of final in Roland or Wimbledon."
He has good results, but not in Grand Slams yet. "When I think of the players who are in the top 10, I'm not really afraid of them on a particular match", he says though.
This 'I'm not afraid of anybody' attitude has deep roots: "I have a growth retardation of 3 years. When I was 15 years old, I was 1,53 m tall. My father and my brother had the same problem. I went to endocrinologists who told me there wasn't anything wrong, that I was going to grow up." But his opponents already were 1,80 m tall. "They were almost adults. I was still a kid, I could hardly beat them. In fact, I didn't beat them. It's a little bit frustrating to lose to a player when you know you're a better player, just because he serves at 180/190 km/h while my serves looked like underarm serves."
Other guys might have already given up at that stage, he didn't, hung on, between the piano lessons and the school, learned how to read the game of the opponent, to move better, to become a better tactician. "The short players often have a better sense of the game. It's rare to see players who are 2 m tall do great things."
Gicquel confirms that when Gilles started on the tour 2 years ago, he looked like a kid, he was so skinny, nobody knew him, the other players were not careful enough. Serra: "He has an unpleasant game. Most players hate playing against him."
Tulasne: "He has a wide range of talents. His flaws: he tends to spread himself too thin, to have lapses of concentration. He needs to be more professional in every detail."
First thing to improve: his stamina. Even his friend Serra says: "He could work harder." Quétin (his physical trainer): "When we try to make him do a little bit more with Tulasne, he answers: 'I already give my best on the court'. But it's not enough to enter the top 30."
And Tulasne's conclusion: "He hasn't got much facial hair yet, I think he'll reach his physical maturity at the age of 25-26". At 22 years, Gilles Simon is still looking like a Junior.

Last edited by Truc : 07-25-2008 at 01:54 PM.
Old 03-19-2008, 05:45 PM   #1570
country flag gambit84

great review
Old 03-19-2008, 09:36 PM   #1571
country flag jitterbug

jitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truc View Post
I'm old enough to have grandkids already, jitterbug.
I'm 38 years old, it is hopeless, I'll probably remain a fangirl for the rest of my life.
40 is the new 20

The importance of being Ernests Riga Mortis

Ernests Gulbis on seeing HEAD racquets being made by hand:
Quote:
I felt so bad. I didn’t break a racquet for like one month. They are putting so much effort to make the racquets and an idiot like me goes and breaks them
jitterbug is offline View My Blog!  
Old 03-20-2008, 04:44 AM   #1572
country flag Scotso

Scotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond repute

38 is around a woman's sexual peak. Go get those hot young boys! Teach 'em how to work it, yeahhhhh!

Le Poussin! Faithfully ignoring the haters since 1995.

Le Poulailler de Poussin! (Simontarded.)

Ron Paul for President 2012!
Scotso is offline View My Blog!  
Old 03-20-2008, 07:13 AM   #1573
country flag gambit84

Quote:
Originally Posted by jitterbug View Post
40 is the new 20

oh yes!
Old 03-24-2008, 07:34 PM   #1574
country flag Truc

38 doesn't exactly feel like a peak to me, but if they say so...

Ancic is starting to annoy me, avenge Jo and Gaël, Gilles.
Old 03-24-2008, 07:54 PM   #1575
country flag gambit84

hard draw for hime