The comeback trail (fingers crossed). 2009/2010 - Honolulu Ch. post #41 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 09-22-2009, 11:19 PM   #1
country flag Fee

Fee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile The comeback trail (fingers crossed). 2009/2010 - Honolulu Ch. post #41

All of the other threads seemed out of date and inappropriate for this topic of conversation, so here's a new one.

After 4 years of battling 3 main injuries (chronic shin splints, right shoulder, and lower back), Jan-Michael has been playing relatively pain free lately so he is going to give it a shot and see what happens. He is starting this week at the Costa Mesa Futures (USA F 23), for which he won playoff events to earn wildcards into the singles and doubles draws.

He and his partner Zac Tsai won their doubles match today 7-6, 6-3. JMG was a little bit rusty, but everything I saw today makes me think the more matches he can play, the better he will get and the more he will be able to shake off his lack of match toughness. It's far too early to tell how he will do against tour level players, or even Challenger level players, but this is a good start for him. The real test will be his Singles match tomorrow, he needs to work out his movement on the whole court, not just half of it.

@dougrobson - Whoever is supplying Mahut with hair gel needs to ink a sponsorship deal now.

@Wimbledon - FYI, with @Wimbledon live scoring devices, please add 50 to the games in the fifth set of the Isner v Mahut match.

@HolterMedia - Nice to see that a three-day test has come to tennis here @wimbledon.

Andy wearring Crocs, courtesy of Smitty8

Last edited by Fee : 01-25-2010 at 11:31 PM.
Fee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2009, 02:32 AM   #2
country flag Chip_s_m

Chip_s_m has a reputation beyond reputeChip_s_m has a reputation beyond reputeChip_s_m has a reputation beyond reputeChip_s_m has a reputation beyond reputeChip_s_m has a reputation beyond reputeChip_s_m has a reputation beyond reputeChip_s_m has a reputation beyond reputeChip_s_m has a reputation beyond reputeChip_s_m has a reputation beyond reputeChip_s_m has a reputation beyond reputeChip_s_m has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The comeback trail (fingers crossed). 2009/2010

Gambill beat Cox 6-4 6-2. That's a good win, especially considering the scoreline. Up next is Korean junior Yong-Kyu Lim.
Chip_s_m is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 04:06 AM   #3
country flag DartMarcus

DartMarcus has a reputation beyond reputeDartMarcus has a reputation beyond reputeDartMarcus has a reputation beyond reputeDartMarcus has a reputation beyond reputeDartMarcus has a reputation beyond reputeDartMarcus has a reputation beyond reputeDartMarcus has a reputation beyond reputeDartMarcus has a reputation beyond reputeDartMarcus has a reputation beyond reputeDartMarcus has a reputation beyond reputeDartMarcus has a reputation beyond repute

Beating Wimbedon runner-up

Brian Baker - Steve Johnson - Lleyton Hewitt - Robby Ginepri - Carlos Berlocq - Tommy Haas - Ivo Karlovic - Richard Gasquet - Kevin Anderson - David Ferrer - Michael Russell - Fabio Fognini - Michael Llodra - Oliver Rochus - Dustin Brown - Somdev Devvarman
DartMarcus is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 05:29 AM   #4
country flag Fee

Fee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond repute

He played well, better than I've seen him play in a long time. He played well in his doubles match too. He is definitely still rusty and he needs to work on his footwork a lot (and get some trust back in his legs after 4 years of shin splints), but I saw so much good in his matches today - he can still serve well and he can still rip good clean ground strokes. His volleys are strong, but not consistent yet. He just needs to keep playing as many matches as he can get. He got his points in both Singles and Doubles, so he's back on the ATP rankings list again, now it's just one day at a time to see how much more he can do.

@dougrobson - Whoever is supplying Mahut with hair gel needs to ink a sponsorship deal now.

@Wimbledon - FYI, with @Wimbledon live scoring devices, please add 50 to the games in the fifth set of the Isner v Mahut match.

@HolterMedia - Nice to see that a three-day test has come to tennis here @wimbledon.

Old 09-25-2009, 01:32 AM   #5
country flag Chip_s_m

Chip_s_m has a reputation beyond reputeChip_s_m has a reputation beyond reputeChip_s_m has a reputation beyond reputeChip_s_m has a reputation beyond reputeChip_s_m has a reputation beyond reputeChip_s_m has a reputation beyond reputeChip_s_m has a reputation beyond reputeChip_s_m has a reputation beyond reputeChip_s_m has a reputation beyond reputeChip_s_m has a reputation beyond reputeChip_s_m has a reputation beyond repute

And we have another win! Gambill beat Lim 6-2 6-7(3) 6-2. Up next is Phillip Bester.
Chip_s_m is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 03:42 AM   #6
country flag Fee

Today was ugly, no other word for it. But, it was the kind of match that JMG needed to grind through to get more work under his belt. He knew it when it was over too. The best news, is that by winning this match and playing on Friday, he gets a special exempt entry into the Laguna Niguel Futures next week, and that's just another 20 minutes down the freeway from this one. So yay, more matches. JMG and Zac lost their doubles in straight sets, no big surprise considering how much tennis he had already played today (and the last two days), he was kind of blah on court this evening.

Bester will be tough, but win or lose it will be a good workout for him.

Old 09-26-2009, 12:14 AM   #7
country flag Fee

Jan-Michael defeated Philip 'Fucking Americans' Bester today 7-5, 7-6. This was the best match he's played so far of the 3, he served really well, he was hitting his groundstrokes better, and oh my goodness he was running all over the place today. His footwork has been a wreck the first two days and today it was just awesome. He is definitely shaking off the rustiness and getting good matches. Tomorrow will be another good one, against Michael McClune at about noon.

Old 09-26-2009, 02:49 AM   #8
country flag Smoke944

Smoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fee View Post
Jan-Michael defeated Philip 'Fucking Americans' Bester today 7-5, 7-6. This was the best match he's played so far of the 3, he served really well, he was hitting his groundstrokes better, and oh my goodness he was running all over the place today. His footwork has been a wreck the first two days and today it was just awesome. He is definitely shaking off the rustiness and getting good matches. Tomorrow will be another good one, against Michael McClune at about noon.
Awesome that you're there. Watch Ryan Harrison for me, will you?
Smoke944 is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 03:09 AM   #9
country flag Fee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke944 View Post
Awesome that you're there. Watch Ryan Harrison for me, will you?
The only way I'll see Ryan Harrison play is if he and Jan-Michael both make the final. That's actually not too far fetched, come to think of it.

Old 09-26-2009, 06:35 AM   #10
country flag DartMarcus

DartMarcus has a reputation beyond reputeDartMarcus has a reputation beyond reputeDartMarcus has a reputation beyond reputeDartMarcus has a reputation beyond reputeDartMarcus has a reputation beyond reputeDartMarcus has a reputation beyond reputeDartMarcus has a reputation beyond reputeDartMarcus has a reputation beyond reputeDartMarcus has a reputation beyond reputeDartMarcus has a reputation beyond reputeDartMarcus has a reputation beyond repute

Great result for Jan Mike! Expecting a tough semi.

Brian Baker - Steve Johnson - Lleyton Hewitt - Robby Ginepri - Carlos Berlocq - Tommy Haas - Ivo Karlovic - Richard Gasquet - Kevin Anderson - David Ferrer - Michael Russell - Fabio Fognini - Michael Llodra - Oliver Rochus - Dustin Brown - Somdev Devvarman
Old 09-26-2009, 01:09 PM   #11
country flag atm708

atm708 has a reputation beyond reputeatm708 has a reputation beyond reputeatm708 has a reputation beyond reputeatm708 has a reputation beyond reputeatm708 has a reputation beyond reputeatm708 has a reputation beyond reputeatm708 has a reputation beyond reputeatm708 has a reputation beyond reputeatm708 has a reputation beyond reputeatm708 has a reputation beyond reputeatm708 has a reputation beyond repute

I was excited when I saw Jan-Michael in the draw earlier this week. I thought he had put up the racket for good. I'm glad he's made it to a semi already. Here's hoping he bested McClune.
atm708 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 04:59 PM   #12
country flag Fee

Jan-Michael lost to McClune 3-6, 5-7. I think he was just a bit tired. He served well, but had a few more double faults than he's had all week and he just didn't look very energetic. He moved well but his groundies were a bit off on both sides. Considering how good he looked on Friday, I really do believe that he just ran out of gas on Saturday. With the doubles and singles, he got 7 good intense matches in this week and he earned ATP points again in both so he's back on the rankings.

He got a special exempt entry into the Laguna Niguel Futures this week, just 20 minutes south of Costa Mesa, so he'll be playing again on Tuesday. I know he asked for a doubles wildcard, but I don't know if he's been given an answer on that request yet.

Old 09-28-2009, 09:48 PM   #13
country flag Fee

Jan-Michael did not get a special exempt after all because he never entered Laguna Niguel (took them a few days to notify him), so he is taking this week off. He will play the Sacramento Challenger next week. That should be interesting, higher level of competition.

Old 09-29-2009, 04:08 AM   #14
country flag DartMarcus

Will he get MD WC or play quailes?

Old 09-29-2009, 12:20 PM   #15
country flag atm708

atm708 has a reputation beyond reputeatm708 has a reputation beyond reputeatm708 has a reputation beyond reputeatm708 has a reputation beyond reputeatm708 has a reputation beyond reputeatm708 has a reputation beyond reputeatm708 has a reputation beyond reputeatm708 has a reputation beyond reputeatm708 has a reputation beyond reputeatm708 has a reputation beyond reputeatm708 has a reputation beyond repute

How many points did he get from reaching the semis? I couldn't find him in this weeks ATP Rankings.
atm708 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote