Andre is playing like crap - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 02-14-2005, 12:09 AM   #1
AgassiFan

AgassiFan has a reputation beyond reputeAgassiFan has a reputation beyond reputeAgassiFan has a reputation beyond reputeAgassiFan has a reputation beyond reputeAgassiFan has a reputation beyond reputeAgassiFan has a reputation beyond reputeAgassiFan has a reputation beyond reputeAgassiFan has a reputation beyond reputeAgassiFan has a reputation beyond reputeAgassiFan has a reputation beyond reputeAgassiFan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Andre is playing like crap

What the fuck happened to him?

He went from 77 Winners/19 Unfored Errors stretch against Dent and Joakim at AO, playing as well as he did during the 2004 USO run....to looking like absolute fried ass against Fed, Reynolds, Carlsen and Melzner in the next 4 matches.

As much as I would like to blame that chronic hip (which could render anyone helpless), there's gotta be something major going on in his head.

Him and Steffi getting divorced or something?
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2005, 01:37 PM   #2
country flag Agassi Fan

Agassi Fan has a reputation beyond reputeAgassi Fan has a reputation beyond reputeAgassi Fan has a reputation beyond reputeAgassi Fan has a reputation beyond reputeAgassi Fan has a reputation beyond reputeAgassi Fan has a reputation beyond reputeAgassi Fan has a reputation beyond reputeAgassi Fan has a reputation beyond reputeAgassi Fan has a reputation beyond reputeAgassi Fan has a reputation beyond reputeAgassi Fan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Andre is playing like crap

I don't know, what he done on the court, but I hope, he will be better.

Tennis posters, photos, autograph to sell or swap.
www.gportal.hu/portal/posters
Soccer posters to sell or swap!!
www.gportal.hu/portal/nikesoccer
Agassi Fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 07:11 PM   #3
country flag Adman

Adman has a reputation beyond reputeAdman has a reputation beyond reputeAdman has a reputation beyond reputeAdman has a reputation beyond reputeAdman has a reputation beyond reputeAdman has a reputation beyond reputeAdman has a reputation beyond reputeAdman has a reputation beyond reputeAdman has a reputation beyond reputeAdman has a reputation beyond reputeAdman has a reputation beyond repute

Andre will need to be better to win tournaments.

Life it's a great game.
-Andre Agassi-

He was too good. I would suggest to his next opponent that he doesn't look to me for advice.
-Andre Agassi-
Adman is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 07:16 PM   #4
AgassiFan

AgassiFan has a reputation beyond reputeAgassiFan has a reputation beyond reputeAgassiFan has a reputation beyond reputeAgassiFan has a reputation beyond reputeAgassiFan has a reputation beyond reputeAgassiFan has a reputation beyond reputeAgassiFan has a reputation beyond reputeAgassiFan has a reputation beyond reputeAgassiFan has a reputation beyond reputeAgassiFan has a reputation beyond reputeAgassiFan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adman
Andre will need to be better to win tournaments.
And the thing is, right now EVERYONE on ATP is beatable, including Roger who played "good-but-not-brilliant" tennis at Aussie Open, followed by unspectacular efforts against Davydenkos and Lubijic's of this world. Safin, Roddick, Hewitt

There is nobody out there right now that Andre cannot beat if he plays at 2004 US Open-level (read: 'A-minus' quality) tennis.

Unfortunately, in his last 4 matches (Federer, Reynolds, Carlsen, Melzner), Andre's been playing no better than C+/B-, and at 35 yo that's a guaranteed loss.

I already explained in the Dubai thread why I don't give a fuck if Andre's seeded 8th or 18th; all I am looking for him to do is to play some BEAUTIFUL-ass tennis this upcoming week, and then to build on the momuntum physically and mentally.

Watch 1st serve winners %. Watch for the sharpness of returns and groundstrokes. And for higher conversion of break-points. Andre needs to step up on a big way in all departments, or he might as well pack it in.

Last edited by AgassiFan : 02-20-2005 at 07:18 PM.
AgassiFan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 08:08 PM   #5
AgassiFan

Agassi beat Stepanik 6-4, 7-5.

Another unconvincing win. Does anyone have match statistics? What's the 1st serve %? How many winners off serve? Winner-Unforced Error ratio?
Old 02-21-2005, 09:06 PM   #6
Shirogane

Shirogane has a reputation beyond reputeShirogane has a reputation beyond reputeShirogane has a reputation beyond reputeShirogane has a reputation beyond reputeShirogane has a reputation beyond reputeShirogane has a reputation beyond reputeShirogane has a reputation beyond reputeShirogane has a reputation beyond reputeShirogane has a reputation beyond reputeShirogane has a reputation beyond reputeShirogane has a reputation beyond repute

"A packed crowd of 5,000 watched the fourth-seeded Agassi win the first 14 points on his serve and produce numerous winners, especially down the line."

I couldn't watch the match, as Eurosport's coverage only starts tomorrow. But at least it seems that he tried to play more aggressively.

David Nalbandian ♦ Roger Federer ♦ Mikhail Youzhny ♦ Dustin Brown ♦ Nikolay Davydenko ♦ P-H. Herbert

Shirogane is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 03:09 AM   #7
doubleafan

doubleafan is a splendid one to beholddoubleafan is a splendid one to beholddoubleafan is a splendid one to beholddoubleafan is a splendid one to beholddoubleafan is a splendid one to beholddoubleafan is a splendid one to beholddoubleafan is a splendid one to behold

Looks like finally Agassi has convinced himself that percentage tennis is not the way to go all the time. His strength is precision , pin point groundies. Like the tennis he produced in Cincy and 2003 Masters Cup. If he plays risky tennis, he will easily beat Federer and any other guy on the planet. Plus he should look for deception in his shots.Play fractionally late and second guess his opponents. Like the 2002 USOpen Semis against Hewitt.
I think Agassi is still good to play 5 setters.

Stepanek is as good as any opponent and is playing some quality tennis. So 6-4,7-5 is good for a first match.
doubleafan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 05:09 PM   #8
AgassiFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleafan
Looks like finally Agassi has convinced himself that percentage tennis is not the way to go all the time.
Took him 2 years to figure things out. 2003 Rolan Garros loss to exhausted Coria (whom he should have taken in straight sets that day) exposed all of Agassi's mental, tactical and physical weaknesses.

Quote:
His strength is precision , pin point groundies. Like the tennis he produced in Cincy and 2003 Masters Cup.
I was thinking more along the lines of 2001 USO match against Pete - but with a higher break-point conversion %. Hell, aside from choking on big points, Andre played pretty damn well against Federer in 2004, including USO.

Quote:
If he plays risky tennis, he will easily beat Federer and any other guy on the planet.
Disagree on Federer - the guy is simply too good. Yes, if Andre and Roger meet in the 4th round, and Roger has one of his "off" days, I can definately see Andre winning. But you're crazy if you DON'T think Roger is the favorite every time he steps on the court.

Quote:
Plus he should look for deception in his shots.
He is just not that good with spin - whether on offense OR defense.

Quote:
Stepanek is as good as any opponent and is playing some quality tennis. So 6-4,7-5 is good for a first match.
Andre got owed by Melzner just a week ago. That match clea\rly showed that Old Man has very little room for error. He needs to be better across the board if he wants to win another slam or two.
Old 02-23-2005, 02:34 AM   #9
doubleafan

doubleafan is a splendid one to beholddoubleafan is a splendid one to beholddoubleafan is a splendid one to beholddoubleafan is a splendid one to beholddoubleafan is a splendid one to beholddoubleafan is a splendid one to beholddoubleafan is a splendid one to behold

If Agassi can just hold his serve, he can put pressure on every department of Federer's game. I think he has the weapons to match Federer shot for shot. In the AO Quarters, you could easily see that Agassi was playing Federer than the ball.
And there were too many cross court shots fromm Agassi. I think he should look to ending the point as early as possible.

I have seen Agassi use deception many times. The last was at Cincy. He had Moya in tangles.
doubleafan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 02:35 AM   #10
tennischick

tennischick has a reputation beyond reputetennischick has a reputation beyond reputetennischick has a reputation beyond reputetennischick has a reputation beyond reputetennischick has a reputation beyond reputetennischick has a reputation beyond reputetennischick has a reputation beyond reputetennischick has a reputation beyond reputetennischick has a reputation beyond reputetennischick has a reputation beyond reputetennischick has a reputation beyond repute

he took an injection in his hip and said that he's no longer feeling the pain. has it worn off then?

ANDY RODDICK: Motivation? No. I enjoy what I do. I enjoy what I do. You know, I've never been one to, you know, blow off practice or, you know, do anything like that.

You know, I'd be lying if I said I'm looking forward to practicing the next two days as opposed to playing here. That part is gonna suck...(2010 Aegon Championships)
tennischick is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 03:26 AM   #11
country flag kwan

kwan kwan kwan kwan kwan kwan kwan kwan kwan kwan kwan

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleafan
If he plays risky tennis, he will easily beat Federer and any other guy on the planet.

Let's relax here for a second. We know we love Andre, including myself, but NOONE has been able to "easily beat" Roger Federer recently. More often than not he's the one who beats people easily.

And playing risky tennis can not be done everyday. There are days even guys like Andre feel they're not hitting the ball 100%. So they resort to percentage tennis, which is enough to beat 90% of the players out there. Nothing wrong with percentage tennis, but you've got to take care of your own serve. First and foremost,.

I think the key for Andre to be more successful at this point is to focus more on holding his own serve. I think he needs to hit bigger second serves. With his return of serve he's always guaranteed a few chances to break. IF he can hold his serve more consistently he WILL pose a serious challenge for Federer and others. I just won't go ahead and say that he's going to kill Federer, because nobody has done that in a long long time and I don't think it's happening anytime soon. Roger is good. Let's not forget that. He's actually very very good.
kwan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 02:59 PM   #12
AgassiFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennischick
he took an injection in his hip and said that he's no longer feeling the pain. has it worn off then?

Is it anything like the cortison shot, which provides relief but cannot be injected more than 5-6 times a year in order to be effective?
Old 02-23-2005, 03:54 PM   #13
AgassiFan

I am usually harsh when it comes to Agassi, but when he plays a (rare) quality 1st set tennis - as he did against Feliciano - I am going to give credit where due. Now he needs to make a HABIT out of it.
Old 02-23-2005, 06:37 PM   #14
country flag paige

paige has a reputation beyond reputepaige has a reputation beyond reputepaige has a reputation beyond reputepaige has a reputation beyond reputepaige has a reputation beyond reputepaige has a reputation beyond reputepaige has a reputation beyond reputepaige has a reputation beyond reputepaige has a reputation beyond reputepaige has a reputation beyond reputepaige has a reputation beyond repute

I think I go too far the other way, AF.

Andre's been at it sooooo long and he's playing guys soooo much younger than him. I'm just always happy to see him. I just know it's not gonna be incredibly much longer, and it's a wincer to see him come up against a Federer, but I still love his game.

He's def. not a guy I yell at when I'm watching matches. (And there are a few of those... )
Old 02-28-2005, 02:35 PM   #15
AgassiFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by paige
I think I go too far the other way, AF.

Andre's been at it sooooo long and he's playing guys soooo much younger than him. I'm just always happy to see him. I just know it's not gonna be incredibly much longer, and it's a wincer to see him come up against a Federer, but I still love his game.

He's def. not a guy I yell at when I'm watching matches. (And there are a few of those... )

Hey, Andre was the one who gave Fed trouble in 2004, easily winning their exhibition match and then losing a couple of really tight ones at Masters and USO. But so far in 2005, Andre was clearly inferior in both matches, playing FAR from his best tennis.

I mean, when Roger plays the way he did in the 1st set against Hewitt in 2004 USO, you just tip your hat. But you can't tell me that he was all that great at AO, let alone the following tournaments where he had difficult time dealing with Davydenko, Ancic, Ferrero, Minar, etc where he looked downright "ordinary". All Andre had to do yesterday was come out firing early on, convert the BP and make Roger come back from another 0-1 set deficit. Predictably, that didn't happen.

I guess, it's the many losses to non-Sampras/Federer opponents in the last 15 years that irked me more than these Federer matches since Roger has obviously been on another planet since 2003 Wimbledon. If Andre had 11-12 slams like he would have if he had dedicated himself to tennis fully in the first 2/3rds of his career, I would have easier time accepting less-than-good performances at this stage of his career.

Where do we go from now? Get healthy, for one, which should help all-court movement. Then develop a much more accurate 1st serve, which allow Andre to stay in control of many more points. Finally, start showing some of that baseline power and blistering serve returns that everyone assumes Andre still has in him. Play in 2005 and 2006 and see where you are after that - maybe retire at 2007 Aussie Open or something.

Last edited by AgassiFan : 02-28-2005 at 02:39 PM.
AgassiFan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote