Is James Blake mentally weak? - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 02-09-2005, 11:43 PM   #1
country flag henree

henree has a reputation beyond reputehenree has a reputation beyond reputehenree has a reputation beyond reputehenree has a reputation beyond reputehenree has a reputation beyond reputehenree has a reputation beyond reputehenree has a reputation beyond reputehenree has a reputation beyond reputehenree has a reputation beyond reputehenree has a reputation beyond reputehenree has a reputation beyond repute
Default Is James Blake mentally weak?

Vince Spadea Def James Blake 6-3, 6-0
There seems to be a pattern with Blake where if he looses the first set of a match there is a 90 % chance he goes down in flames in straight sets. Where is the fight with this guy?
henree is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2005, 11:48 PM   #2
country flag Horatio Caine
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Horatio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is James Blake mentally weak?

From what I saw at the Aussie open he hits the ball very hard doesn't like to get involved in long rallies. When he tries to cut the rally short he either wins the point or loses it on that basis. It is fairly weak percentage play and when he plays players like Spadea where he needs a great deal of patience, if he isn't on the ball he tends to go down quickly.

That is how I see it - I may be wrong though.
Horatio Caine is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 11:49 PM   #3
country flag superpinkone37

superpinkone37 has a reputation beyond reputesuperpinkone37 has a reputation beyond reputesuperpinkone37 has a reputation beyond reputesuperpinkone37 has a reputation beyond reputesuperpinkone37 has a reputation beyond reputesuperpinkone37 has a reputation beyond reputesuperpinkone37 has a reputation beyond reputesuperpinkone37 has a reputation beyond reputesuperpinkone37 has a reputation beyond reputesuperpinkone37 has a reputation beyond reputesuperpinkone37 has a reputation beyond repute

umm well since he has been out of competition for some time now his confidence is probably just really low right now. He will come back though

superpinkone37 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 11:57 PM   #4
country flag Sjengster

Sjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond repute

I do think he suffers from nerves (the match against Federer at the US Open was a classic case of trying too hard, and he was being outplayed anyway), but it's hard to tell when your game has absolutely no Plan B and involves thumping every forehand at a million miles an hour. I'm telling you, when he played the final in Long Island the week before that US Open loss to Federer, he managed to make Srichaphan look like a model of consistency and percentage play on the other side of the net, and that's no mean feat.

ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, I remember this one time when I went on a vacation on the Maldives. That was in the year 2001, I think. I went to this spa. I went to walk around with my girlfriend. I walk in, and we want to book a spa. This guy goes, "AHH, I remember you. You beat Sampras. I saw you on TV." That was like, really, how can you remember me? This guy has probably never been off his island and still knows me. I was a little bit shocked. Then I went to play tennis with him because he was actually the tennis teacher. It was nice.

Q. Were you naked at the time in the spa?

ROGER FEDERER: No. It was at the front desk. I didn't walk in naked.

Last edited by Sjengster : 02-10-2005 at 12:17 AM. Reason: Sloppy grammar, and no-one likes being corrected about that
Sjengster is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 12:12 AM   #5
country flag Coleburg83

Coleburg83 has a reputation beyond reputeColeburg83 has a reputation beyond reputeColeburg83 has a reputation beyond reputeColeburg83 has a reputation beyond reputeColeburg83 has a reputation beyond reputeColeburg83 has a reputation beyond reputeColeburg83 has a reputation beyond reputeColeburg83 has a reputation beyond reputeColeburg83 has a reputation beyond reputeColeburg83 has a reputation beyond reputeColeburg83 has a reputation beyond repute

"umm well since he has been out of competition for some time now his confidence is probably just really low right now. He will come back though "

He's always played like that.
"In Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, bloodshed and they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love, 500 years of democracy and peace and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

- Orson Welles
Coleburg83 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 12:27 AM   #6
country flag paige

paige has a reputation beyond reputepaige has a reputation beyond reputepaige has a reputation beyond reputepaige has a reputation beyond reputepaige has a reputation beyond reputepaige has a reputation beyond reputepaige has a reputation beyond reputepaige has a reputation beyond reputepaige has a reputation beyond reputepaige has a reputation beyond reputepaige has a reputation beyond repute

Well he broke his neck less than a year ago. That affects you -- and more some days than others... maybe the Australia temperature suited him, made it more comfortable for him.

I don't think his resolve is as strong as it could be. But even more I don't think his health is where it should be. It takes time. And takes diff. people diff. lengths of time.
Old 02-10-2005, 12:38 AM   #7
country flag superpinkone37

superpinkone37 has a reputation beyond reputesuperpinkone37 has a reputation beyond reputesuperpinkone37 has a reputation beyond reputesuperpinkone37 has a reputation beyond reputesuperpinkone37 has a reputation beyond reputesuperpinkone37 has a reputation beyond reputesuperpinkone37 has a reputation beyond reputesuperpinkone37 has a reputation beyond reputesuperpinkone37 has a reputation beyond reputesuperpinkone37 has a reputation beyond reputesuperpinkone37 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coleburg83
"umm well since he has been out of competition for some time now his confidence is probably just really low right now. He will come back though "

He's always played like that.
Well that is kinda true but I have hope for James. .

superpinkone37 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 01:01 AM   #8
country flag Socket

Socket has a reputation beyond reputeSocket has a reputation beyond reputeSocket has a reputation beyond reputeSocket has a reputation beyond reputeSocket has a reputation beyond reputeSocket has a reputation beyond reputeSocket has a reputation beyond reputeSocket has a reputation beyond reputeSocket has a reputation beyond reputeSocket has a reputation beyond reputeSocket has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by henree
Vince Spadea Def James Blake 6-3, 6-0
There seems to be a pattern with Blake where if he looses the first set of a match there is a 90 % chance he goes down in flames in straight sets. Where is the fight with this guy?
Yep. And the final set is frequently something like 6-0 or 6-1. He seems to lose faith that he can turn a match around, and that's fatal at the pro level.

C'mon, Lleyton!

Socket is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 02:46 AM   #9
country flag Golfnduck

Golfnduck has a reputation beyond reputeGolfnduck has a reputation beyond reputeGolfnduck has a reputation beyond reputeGolfnduck has a reputation beyond reputeGolfnduck has a reputation beyond reputeGolfnduck has a reputation beyond reputeGolfnduck has a reputation beyond reputeGolfnduck has a reputation beyond reputeGolfnduck has a reputation beyond reputeGolfnduck has a reputation beyond reputeGolfnduck has a reputation beyond repute

I think it also could be lack of playing. He did have alot of stuff happen to him last year. It could take him awhile to bounce back.

GOOD LUCK TO: ANDY, HAAS, MARDY, BRYANS, JAMES, DJOKOVIC, MOODIE, ROBBY, MOYA, SAFIN, GICQUEL

DAVIS CUP CHAMPS FOR 2007!!!!!!!!!! WAY TO GO USA!!!!!!!
Golfnduck is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 10:07 AM   #10
country flag Prizeidiot

Prizeidiot has a reputation beyond reputePrizeidiot has a reputation beyond reputePrizeidiot has a reputation beyond reputePrizeidiot has a reputation beyond reputePrizeidiot has a reputation beyond reputePrizeidiot has a reputation beyond reputePrizeidiot has a reputation beyond reputePrizeidiot has a reputation beyond reputePrizeidiot has a reputation beyond reputePrizeidiot has a reputation beyond reputePrizeidiot has a reputation beyond repute

His injuries and events from last year obviously have taken some confidence away from him. But part of it is the way he plays. He comes out all guns blazing, and if he doesn't hit the other guy off the court, it's like "Well, what the heck else can I do? I've given it everything, and the guy is still alive"
Prizeidiot is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 01:28 PM   #11
country flag TheMightyFed

TheMightyFed has a reputation beyond reputeTheMightyFed has a reputation beyond reputeTheMightyFed has a reputation beyond reputeTheMightyFed has a reputation beyond reputeTheMightyFed has a reputation beyond reputeTheMightyFed has a reputation beyond reputeTheMightyFed has a reputation beyond reputeTheMightyFed has a reputation beyond reputeTheMightyFed has a reputation beyond reputeTheMightyFed has a reputation beyond reputeTheMightyFed has a reputation beyond repute

I was surprised in AO, I left the TV set with him thrashing Big Mouth (Hewitt), I came back to see the Aussie's victory. It seems to pay attention to Hewitt's antics, so in that regard he's pretty weak compared to Fed/Sefin/Agassi...
Old 02-10-2005, 05:05 PM   #12
country flag paige

paige has a reputation beyond reputepaige has a reputation beyond reputepaige has a reputation beyond reputepaige has a reputation beyond reputepaige has a reputation beyond reputepaige has a reputation beyond reputepaige has a reputation beyond reputepaige has a reputation beyond reputepaige has a reputation beyond reputepaige has a reputation beyond reputepaige has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prizeidiot
His injuries and events from last year obviously have taken some confidence away from him. But part of it is the way he plays. He comes out all guns blazing, and if he doesn't hit the other guy off the court, it's like "Well, what the heck else can I do? I've given it everything, and the guy is still alive"
Maybe it's something like this... If the other guy starts coming back on him, he kind of notices a little bit more how his neck is maybe aching a bit or what not.
You know how it's so easy to do things when they're going well for you, but the minute there's a setback all the other things that are there weighing on you become more apparent?