Paradorn's histrionics are worse than Roddick's!! - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 11-03-2002, 06:57 AM   #1
martinatreue

martinatreue has a reputation beyond reputemartinatreue has a reputation beyond reputemartinatreue has a reputation beyond reputemartinatreue has a reputation beyond reputemartinatreue has a reputation beyond reputemartinatreue has a reputation beyond reputemartinatreue has a reputation beyond reputemartinatreue has a reputation beyond reputemartinatreue has a reputation beyond reputemartinatreue has a reputation beyond reputemartinatreue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Paradorn's histrionics are worse than Roddick's!!

He reminds me on Andy when Andy first started or even Lleyton or James Blake at their worst. Now I have seen more than one match where Paradorn is playing to the crowd, smiling this little arrogant smile every time he hits an ace or winner and disputing calls that were good today in Paris.

But what I really hate is how he goes out and bows to the audience on all four sides even when he LOSES! I know it's supposedly a part of his religion but I find it arrogant to do it in such an ostentatious way. If it's required in his religion then he could do it less ostentatiously when he LOSES. I think it's very distasteful. Only Jimmy Connors was more irritating than this!!! And it's a shame cuz at first I liked Paradorn but Paris crowds just bring out the worst in people cuz they were acting like they usually do. Lleyton was being a great sport applauding Paradorn's shots all the time but these fools are just so disrespectful to players. Luke Jensen was saying that Parisians will actually boo players every time they hit a ball during the warmup and then cheer for the opponent when they hit. I hate these kind of crowds and I don't like the histrionics of Srichaphan cuz it's just a form of gamesmanship and a sign of arrogance.
martinatreue is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2002, 04:11 PM   #2
country flag KayTang999

KayTang999 has a spectacular aura aboutKayTang999 has a spectacular aura about

Umm, he did it because he is THAI, I am Thai and that what we do to RESPECT people and thank them. It is not arrogant. He does it even though he lost that show a sportmanship. Unlike some other players who just walk out of the court when they lost without bowing at the crowd. Parisian are like that all the time, and I think that it's everywhere not just Paris, even in the US. The fact that they go for the underdog is just because that they want to see someone else dominate. It is not a one man's show. I don't know what your problem is with Paradorn but as far as I know, everyone on the tour likes him and they all say that he always smiles when he is down.
KayTang999 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2002, 04:18 PM   #3
country flag TheBoiledEgg

TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute

the Paris crowd hates Hewitt and booed him alot yesterday
Paradorn thanked the crowd for cheering him on.
Berdych*Tsonga*Nishikori*Chardy

Goodbye Marat 1996-2009
TheBoiledEgg is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2002, 04:19 PM   #4
country flag Jorge

Jorge has a reputation beyond reputeJorge has a reputation beyond reputeJorge has a reputation beyond reputeJorge has a reputation beyond reputeJorge has a reputation beyond reputeJorge has a reputation beyond reputeJorge has a reputation beyond reputeJorge has a reputation beyond reputeJorge has a reputation beyond reputeJorge has a reputation beyond reputeJorge has a reputation beyond repute

the ignorance about the strange cultures creates this kind of threads.

The bows that paradorn does to the crowd actually are considered in the Thai culture as a sign of humility. martinatreue your thoughts are so wrong because you don't know anything about the Thai culture. actually the government of Thailand has decided to give him the diplomatic passport because they are pleased to see how paradorn is showing to the non-thai people the traditions of his culture and because he always shows respect to the crowd and the rival.
So first learn about the customs of Paradorn and later start a silly thread to bash him, but with real facts
Jorge is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2002, 04:23 PM   #5
nickyrookie

nickyrookie

martinatreue, do you need any mental check? I don't think Paradorn is any arrogant. I might be wrong but instead, I think that Hewitt is the one who is the most arrogant on the tour. I don't like him that much because of his personality on the court (sorry to all fans of Hewitt but I don't really like him).

Also, Roddick and Blakes are all nice people to me.
nickyrookie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2002, 04:45 PM   #6
country flag vaiva

vaiva has a reputation beyond reputevaiva has a reputation beyond reputevaiva has a reputation beyond reputevaiva has a reputation beyond reputevaiva has a reputation beyond reputevaiva has a reputation beyond reputevaiva has a reputation beyond reputevaiva has a reputation beyond reputevaiva has a reputation beyond reputevaiva has a reputation beyond reputevaiva has a reputation beyond repute

I cannot find any signs of gamesmanship in Paradorn

I was lucky to meet people from similar ethnic backgrounds and from my experience I can tell: they are very sincere & respectful people. What might seem as histrionics to the people from western countries comes naturally to them. They are different but that just does not make them worse. And ignorance is no excuse
vaiva is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2002, 07:55 PM   #7
country flag Ma. Estefania

Ma. Estefania has a reputation beyond reputeMa. Estefania has a reputation beyond reputeMa. Estefania has a reputation beyond reputeMa. Estefania has a reputation beyond reputeMa. Estefania has a reputation beyond reputeMa. Estefania has a reputation beyond reputeMa. Estefania has a reputation beyond reputeMa. Estefania has a reputation beyond reputeMa. Estefania has a reputation beyond reputeMa. Estefania has a reputation beyond reputeMa. Estefania has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by TheBoiledEgg
the Paris crowd hates Hewitt and booed him alot yesterday
Paradorn thanked the crowd for cheering him on.
Yes, I realized also that of the boos to Hewitt.....but anyway
About Paradorn, I think that is very good that he clapped with his racquet even after he had lost ag. Hewitt....that's something even amazing to me, because if I were Paradorn, be sure that I wouldn't have had in that moment the "humour" to be sooo nice to clap.
So, well done Paradorn. I find him a very respectful player, that's why I like him, and he deserves all what he has received, even that of the passport given by the Thai government or something like that.
Old 11-03-2002, 09:35 PM   #8
country flag Lisbeth
SammySammySammy OiOiOi

Lisbeth has a reputation beyond reputeLisbeth has a reputation beyond reputeLisbeth has a reputation beyond reputeLisbeth has a reputation beyond reputeLisbeth has a reputation beyond reputeLisbeth has a reputation beyond reputeLisbeth has a reputation beyond reputeLisbeth has a reputation beyond reputeLisbeth has a reputation beyond reputeLisbeth has a reputation beyond reputeLisbeth has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmm, I think this might be just a culture clash thing because I really think he is a very decent person. I believe as others have said that bowing in Thailand (and other Asian cultures, such as Japan) is a gesture of humility rather than the "look at me, I did great" thing many Europeans attach to it.

But you're entitled to be annoyed by a player, as we all are (I used to hate the Williams' twirly dance thing, but it grew on me!!).
Lisbeth is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2002, 03:44 AM   #9
martinatreue

martinatreue has a reputation beyond reputemartinatreue has a reputation beyond reputemartinatreue has a reputation beyond reputemartinatreue has a reputation beyond reputemartinatreue has a reputation beyond reputemartinatreue has a reputation beyond reputemartinatreue has a reputation beyond reputemartinatreue has a reputation beyond reputemartinatreue has a reputation beyond reputemartinatreue has a reputation beyond reputemartinatreue has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys! i feel better about him. I still think he played to the crowd knowing that they were really rude to Lleyton. I guess I was just upset because the French seem to hold grudges FOREVER against Lleyton and Martina? REGARDLESS of the changes in them as people. Lleyton has grown up a lot and Martina is like a totally different person than back in 1999. I also think the French crowds create situation in which tennis players behave badly because of the crowds behaviour and then hold them eternally responsible for it. Why don't they just behave respectfully like Scandinavian, Swiss and German crowds??? I was just irritated with Paradorn for playing up to the crowd. Sure you can profit from the crowd being against your opponent but I feel like playing to them to get them to cheer every one of your aces and winners is like rubbing salt into your opponent's wounds. But I will give him the benefit of the doubt and thank you to the Thai people for explaining to me why Thai people bow. It just doesn't look very solemn to me when he does it. It looks like it's designed to make the crowd love him. I guess I am being cynical. Maybe Lleyton should do like Agassi and give his kisses to the crowd. Nah, Lleyton would not be that phoney. Sorry for looking at things that way but I was really irritated with the French crowd and Paradorn was taking advantage of that situation. I know that some will say that that's just part of the game but I prefer that players do like Chrissie Evert did when crowds were hard on martina Navratilova- Chrissie was embarrassed and just looked the other way much like Kim Clijsters did when the Indian wells crowd was hard on Serena. It's part of having compassion for your opponent as a person. Sure, you want to beat them but that's a different story. I always DESPISED Jimmy Connors for doing these things to Johnny McEnroe.. Even though Johnny McEnroe did act up I thought Connors was shameless.
Old 11-04-2002, 04:24 AM   #10
country flag KayTang999

KayTang999 has a spectacular aura aboutKayTang999 has a spectacular aura about

I don't know if you did see the match between Paradorn Srichaphan and Greg Rusedski in US Open 2002 where he lost to Greg in the 5th set. He did exaclty the same thing he did when he lost to Lleyton.

Last edited by KayTang999 : 11-04-2002 at 04:39 AM.
KayTang999 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2002, 04:29 AM   #11
country flag Lisbeth
SammySammySammy OiOiOi

Lisbeth has a reputation beyond reputeLisbeth has a reputation beyond reputeLisbeth has a reputation beyond reputeLisbeth has a reputation beyond reputeLisbeth has a reputation beyond reputeLisbeth has a reputation beyond reputeLisbeth has a reputation beyond reputeLisbeth has a reputation beyond reputeLisbeth has a reputation beyond reputeLisbeth has a reputation beyond reputeLisbeth has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't see the match so I don't know about Paradorn's specific "antics".

But LOL, I agree with you that one thing Lleyton is certainly not is phony! You're not going to get him blowing kisses to anyone but Kim and his Mum any time soon.
Lisbeth is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2002, 09:10 AM   #12
marilag

marilag has a reputation beyond reputemarilag has a reputation beyond reputemarilag has a reputation beyond reputemarilag has a reputation beyond reputemarilag has a reputation beyond reputemarilag has a reputation beyond reputemarilag has a reputation beyond reputemarilag has a reputation beyond reputemarilag has a reputation beyond reputemarilag has a reputation beyond reputemarilag has a reputation beyond repute

Martinatreue, I have news for you. It is you who comes off looking arrogant because you don't even extend foreigners the courtesy of withholding judgment over their behaviour until you have learned something about their cultural background. You are arrogant because you assume that everybody else should conform to YOUR own standards. Grow up, brat.
marilag is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2002, 07:54 PM   #13
martinatreue

sorry marilag. I was wrong about that. he still grates me though just like any other player who plays up to the crowd when they know that their opponent is being given a hard time. but I was wrong about the bowing. The crowd was very rude to Greg at the US Open too and Srichaphan played on it there too.
Old 11-05-2002, 05:58 AM   #14
Mongkol

Mongkol
Lightbulb Don't be prejudged, please

Hello martinatreue, I got it from your posting that you have not followed all of Paradorn's matches lately as we did in Thailand.

Certainly you have not watched the Davis cup matches between Great Britain and Thailand in that took place in Birmingham a few months ago. The English crowd is more polite than the Parisians but they were not on Paradorn's side. Paradorn lossed to Tim Henman and I think Paradorn bowed to the crownd too.

Later in Tokyo when he lossed to Calsen and in Madrid when he lossed to Novak, he definitely bowed to the crownd which were very "neutral" in cheering both side. You can argue that Japanese are also Asian but Paradorn just knocked out Suzuki the home's favourite before.

Have you seen the final match in Stockholm? The crownd were full of Chileans who came to cheer Rios. (There are ~40,000 Chileans living in Sweden). OK paradorn took his second titles there. He still bowed to the crownd who were shouting "Rios!, Rios!" at the time he bowed.

Please don't be prejuded. This bowing to the crownd is commonly practice by Thai boxers. After the matches, both sides thank the crownd for watching them. Paradorn is also a good Thai boxer himself.

-------

Hey, I also like Andy Roddricks a lot. The match he exchanged aces with Paradorn and played till tie break is remarkable.

Relax!
It's just a game.
Mongkol is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2002, 01:05 AM   #15
wasan

wasan

mongkol, your are right.
wasan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote