Peter Lundgren glorification thread - Page 49 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 08-30-2006, 04:23 PM   #721
country flag Krikry

Krikry has a reputation beyond reputeKrikry has a reputation beyond reputeKrikry has a reputation beyond reputeKrikry has a reputation beyond reputeKrikry has a reputation beyond reputeKrikry has a reputation beyond reputeKrikry has a reputation beyond reputeKrikry has a reputation beyond reputeKrikry has a reputation beyond reputeKrikry has a reputation beyond reputeKrikry has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Peter Lundgren glorification thread

Ho no

"When the seagulls follow the trawler, it is because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea" Eric Cantona
Krikry is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2006, 07:38 PM   #722
country flag atheneglaukopis

atheneglaukopis has a reputation beyond reputeatheneglaukopis has a reputation beyond reputeatheneglaukopis has a reputation beyond reputeatheneglaukopis has a reputation beyond reputeatheneglaukopis has a reputation beyond reputeatheneglaukopis has a reputation beyond reputeatheneglaukopis has a reputation beyond reputeatheneglaukopis has a reputation beyond reputeatheneglaukopis has a reputation beyond reputeatheneglaukopis has a reputation beyond reputeatheneglaukopis has a reputation beyond repute

By the by, what's this in GM about Peter being recruited for the British DC team?

"I couldn't even tell you who the No. 1 ranked tennis player in the world is right now," Federer said. "It's probably me, still. It is, isn't it?" The Onion

Russophilic member of the MTF Perv Squad--objectifying Tarpischev, Kafelnikov, and Volkov like whoa.
atheneglaukopis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 07:43 PM   #723
country flag MariaV

MariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by atheneglaukopis
By the by, what's this in GM about Peter being recruited for the British DC team?
Peter looking for a new job already.
MariaV is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 07:44 PM   #724

atheneglaukopis has a reputation beyond reputeatheneglaukopis has a reputation beyond reputeatheneglaukopis has a reputation beyond reputeatheneglaukopis has a reputation beyond reputeatheneglaukopis has a reputation beyond reputeatheneglaukopis has a reputation beyond reputeatheneglaukopis has a reputation beyond reputeatheneglaukopis has a reputation beyond reputeatheneglaukopis has a reputation beyond reputeatheneglaukopis has a reputation beyond reputeatheneglaukopis has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariaV
I can see that but, but...Waaahhhhh!

"I couldn't even tell you who the No. 1 ranked tennis player in the world is right now," Federer said. "It's probably me, still. It is, isn't it?" The Onion

Russophilic member of the MTF Perv Squad--objectifying Tarpischev, Kafelnikov, and Volkov like whoa.
Old 09-03-2006, 07:47 PM   #725
country flag Saumon

Saumon has a reputation beyond reputeSaumon has a reputation beyond reputeSaumon has a reputation beyond reputeSaumon has a reputation beyond reputeSaumon has a reputation beyond reputeSaumon has a reputation beyond reputeSaumon has a reputation beyond reputeSaumon has a reputation beyond reputeSaumon has a reputation beyond reputeSaumon has a reputation beyond reputeSaumon has a reputation beyond repute

Peter? who's Peter?
Old 09-03-2006, 07:49 PM   #726

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saumon
Peter? who's Peter?
I guess he's the new Safinholic fluffy pillow. Hey, if he needs a new job, we can hire him! Instead of hiding behind the couch to watch Marat's matches, we hide behind Peter.

The idea is GENIUS, no?

Old 09-03-2006, 07:57 PM   #727
country flag MariaV

MariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by atheneglaukopis
I guess he's the new Safinholic fluffy pillow. Hey, if he needs a new job, we can hire him! Instead of hiding behind the couch to watch Marat's matches, we hide behind Peter.

The idea is GENIUS, no?
You know I cannot rep you!!!!!!!!!
MariaV is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 08:07 PM   #728

Quote:
You know I cannot rep you!!!!!!!!!
I know, I hate the system that encourages us to be rep-whores, because I keep wanting to rep the same people. Anyway, .

Old 09-03-2006, 08:50 PM   #729
country flag angelfire

angelfire has a reputation beyond reputeangelfire has a reputation beyond reputeangelfire has a reputation beyond reputeangelfire has a reputation beyond reputeangelfire has a reputation beyond reputeangelfire has a reputation beyond reputeangelfire has a reputation beyond reputeangelfire has a reputation beyond reputeangelfire has a reputation beyond reputeangelfire has a reputation beyond reputeangelfire has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
it will be a fluffy Union Jack pillow
angelfire is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 09:37 AM   #730
country flag kuniochi

kuniochi has a reputation beyond reputekuniochi has a reputation beyond reputekuniochi has a reputation beyond reputekuniochi has a reputation beyond reputekuniochi has a reputation beyond reputekuniochi has a reputation beyond reputekuniochi has a reputation beyond reputekuniochi has a reputation beyond reputekuniochi has a reputation beyond reputekuniochi has a reputation beyond reputekuniochi has a reputation beyond repute

http://sport.independent.co.uk/tenni...cle1604067.ece

17 September 2006 12:21
Lloyd and Lundgren: inspiring double act

Davis Cup: New captain and team coach try to bring a renewed sense of enjoyment to ailing British team
By Ronald Atkin
Published: 17 September 2006
Having spent all his tennis life dispensing optimism, John Lloyd will be marking his debut as Britain's Davis Cup captain by instilling what he calls "fun" into an occasion which seems not much fun at all: a relegation tie with Ukraine in Odessa at the weekend.

With this in mind, he has imported as team coach Peter Lundgren, for many years the essence of bonhomie on the tour. This is not a cap-and-bells appointment, however. Lundgren's coaching credentials are obvious: he was by the side of Roger Federer when the Swiss won his first Wimbledon and then ascended to world No 1, and ison agreed leave of absence from his job with Marat Safin.

That said, Lundgren has always known how to have fun. An avid collector of vintage guitars, the 41-year-old Swede always carried a guitar on his travels as a player, and acknowledges that if he had spent more time over racket rather than guitar strings, he would have risen higher than his best world ranking of 25.

"Like me, Peter was a Davis Cup player when, by and large, it was a competition you looked forward to," said Lloyd. "Peter has an infectious spirit, so the players will look up to him.

"I have never heard a bad word about him, and he has impeccable credentials since he has coached Federer and Safin to Grand Slam titles. Peter is an upbeat bloke and I want our team to have fun. I want them to work hard but have a good time and relish the prospect of Davis Cup. Peter is the sort of guy who has the personality and charisma to make that possible. The appointment will initially be just for this tie, because he is still with Safin, but I will try hard to make sure he is with us next year."

Lundgren, who worked as the Davis Cup coach for the Swiss Federation under captains such as Jakob Hlasek and Marc Rosset before working full-time with Federer, is delighted with the job. "It has been a tough year-and-a-half for Marat and myself," he said. "I couldn't do much coaching with a player who wasn't able to run because of injury and operations.

"Marat decided to go to the US Open this month on his own; nothing against me, he was trying to find himself again, basically. He was very low and didn't know whether he wanted to continue playing. If he had quit at 26, like Bjorn Borg, it would not only have been sad for him but very bad for tennis, because the game needs him, and not only on court.

"I have to discuss with Marat what we are going to do next year because he is my priority, but if there is a possibility of more work with John Lloyd, for sure I would like to help him. This is a great opportunity and I look forward to it, because England is where I started my career, in satellite tournaments. I also played a lot of doubles with Jeremy Bates and reached the Australian Open final with him in 1988.

"I could probably have done better but hated to travel. I had a lot of problems with that. But I made good results when I felt good. Among those I beat were Pete Sampras, Andre Agassi, Ivan Lendl, Pat Cash, Mats Wilander, Jim Courier and Michael Chang."

Lloyd and two of the four-man squad - Greg Rusedski and Jamie Baker - have been practising since last Wednesday at a club in Vienna with indoor and outdoor clay facilities. Despite considering this "the most important Davis Cup tie I have ever been involved in", Lloyd has been bold in his selection of Baker, who is ranked ninth in Britain, and Jamie Delgado - who was yesterday called up to replace Alan Mackin because of the Scot's unexpected success in an indoor Challenger event in France - over more experienced players whom he clearly considers to be failures, such as Alex Bogdanovic and Arvind Parmar.

Depending on the condition of Rusedski's ailing hip, either Baker or Mackin could find himself involved in two singles rubbers in support of Andy Murray, who will join the rest of the team in Odessa tonight with his coach, Brad Gilbert, following a week's training in the United States.

Murray, a dedicated late riser, may be in for a shock. The Odessa Lawn Tennis Club, despite its grand name, is, according to Lloyd, "like a small provincial club in England, with seven clay courts and a very small clubhouse". There are floodlights, but not of Davis Cup standard, so the matches will need to start at 10.30am to ensure a daylight finish.

"I told the players to bring their alarm clocks, because they will need to be up by 7am," said Lloyd, adding: "I will leave it to Brad to get Andy up." Fortunately, the opposition is nothing like the calibre of the Ukrainians the last time Britain visited, in 1997, when Andriy Medvedev won two singles as Britain squeaked home 3-2. Their best current player, the 20-year-old Sergiy Stakh-ovsky, was beaten 6-4 6-2 by Murray in the US Open junior final two years ago.

So with luck it should be a winning occasion. A fun one, too.

Having spent all his tennis life dispensing optimism, John Lloyd will be marking his debut as Britain's Davis Cup captain by instilling what he calls "fun" into an occasion which seems not much fun at all: a relegation tie with Ukraine in Odessa at the weekend.

With this in mind, he has imported as team coach Peter Lundgren, for many years the essence of bonhomie on the tour. This is not a cap-and-bells appointment, however. Lundgren's coaching credentials are obvious: he was by the side of Roger Federer when the Swiss won his first Wimbledon and then ascended to world No 1, and ison agreed leave of absence from his job with Marat Safin.

That said, Lundgren has always known how to have fun. An avid collector of vintage guitars, the 41-year-old Swede always carried a guitar on his travels as a player, and acknowledges that if he had spent more time over racket rather than guitar strings, he would have risen higher than his best world ranking of 25.

"Like me, Peter was a Davis Cup player when, by and large, it was a competition you looked forward to," said Lloyd. "Peter has an infectious spirit, so the players will look up to him.

"I have never heard a bad word about him, and he has impeccable credentials since he has coached Federer and Safin to Grand Slam titles. Peter is an upbeat bloke and I want our team to have fun. I want them to work hard but have a good time and relish the prospect of Davis Cup. Peter is the sort of guy who has the personality and charisma to make that possible. The appointment will initially be just for this tie, because he is still with Safin, but I will try hard to make sure he is with us next year."

Lundgren, who worked as the Davis Cup coach for the Swiss Federation under captains such as Jakob Hlasek and Marc Rosset before working full-time with Federer, is delighted with the job. "It has been a tough year-and-a-half for Marat and myself," he said. "I couldn't do much coaching with a player who wasn't able to run because of injury and operations.

"Marat decided to go to the US Open this month on his own; nothing against me, he was trying to find himself again, basically. He was very low and didn't know whether he wanted to continue playing. If he had quit at 26, like Bjorn Borg, it would not only have been sad for him but very bad for tennis, because the game needs him, and not only on court.
"I have to discuss with Marat what we are going to do next year because he is my priority, but if there is a possibility of more work with John Lloyd, for sure I would like to help him. This is a great opportunity and I look forward to it, because England is where I started my career, in satellite tournaments. I also played a lot of doubles with Jeremy Bates and reached the Australian Open final with him in 1988.

"I could probably have done better but hated to travel. I had a lot of problems with that. But I made good results when I felt good. Among those I beat were Pete Sampras, Andre Agassi, Ivan Lendl, Pat Cash, Mats Wilander, Jim Courier and Michael Chang."

Lloyd and two of the four-man squad - Greg Rusedski and Jamie Baker - have been practising since last Wednesday at a club in Vienna with indoor and outdoor clay facilities. Despite considering this "the most important Davis Cup tie I have ever been involved in", Lloyd has been bold in his selection of Baker, who is ranked ninth in Britain, and Jamie Delgado - who was yesterday called up to replace Alan Mackin because of the Scot's unexpected success in an indoor Challenger event in France - over more experienced players whom he clearly considers to be failures, such as Alex Bogdanovic and Arvind Parmar.

Depending on the condition of Rusedski's ailing hip, either Baker or Mackin could find himself involved in two singles rubbers in support of Andy Murray, who will join the rest of the team in Odessa tonight with his coach, Brad Gilbert, following a week's training in the United States.

Murray, a dedicated late riser, may be in for a shock. The Odessa Lawn Tennis Club, despite its grand name, is, according to Lloyd, "like a small provincial club in England, with seven clay courts and a very small clubhouse". There are floodlights, but not of Davis Cup standard, so the matches will need to start at 10.30am to ensure a daylight finish.

"I told the players to bring their alarm clocks, because they will need to be up by 7am," said Lloyd, adding: "I will leave it to Brad to get Andy up." Fortunately, the opposition is nothing like the calibre of the Ukrainians the last time Britain visited, in 1997, when Andriy Medvedev won two singles as Britain squeaked home 3-2. Their best current player, the 20-year-old Sergiy Stakh-ovsky, was beaten 6-4 6-2 by Murray in the US Open junior final two years ago.

So with luck it should be a winning occasion. A fun one, too.

* "It's like love. When you look too hard, you don't find it. When you let it happen naturally, it comes." Marat Safin

twitter: @bukvichka
kuniochi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 09:58 AM   #731
country flag carroll

carroll has a reputation beyond reputecarroll has a reputation beyond reputecarroll has a reputation beyond reputecarroll has a reputation beyond reputecarroll has a reputation beyond reputecarroll has a reputation beyond reputecarroll has a reputation beyond reputecarroll has a reputation beyond reputecarroll has a reputation beyond reputecarroll has a reputation beyond reputecarroll has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks a lot for the article !
But Marat has already said that he wants to go on playing tennis so that the most important... Now if Peter wants to work with the british team i don't think it's going to e possible to be with Marat too... Even if he said that Marat is his priority i wouldn't be surprised that the two decide to stop their collaboration...

When you win, when you lose, when you smile or when you're mad : Marat you're still the best to watch.

"Just give yourself the opportunity, give yourself the chance. You have to
be happy with what you have achieved and don't take any notice if somebody
tells you that you should have achieved much more. You have achieved what
you have achieved. Nobody can take that away and you have a clear
conscience." Marat
carroll is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 02:16 PM   #732
country flag Deea

Deea has a reputation beyond reputeDeea has a reputation beyond reputeDeea has a reputation beyond reputeDeea has a reputation beyond reputeDeea has a reputation beyond reputeDeea has a reputation beyond reputeDeea has a reputation beyond reputeDeea has a reputation beyond reputeDeea has a reputation beyond reputeDeea has a reputation beyond reputeDeea has a reputation beyond repute

Of course he can work with Marat and the British Davis Cup team...the DC is only a few weeks/year...

Thanks for the article!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Federer on Marat Safin, AO 2009
Anyway, I love playing against the guy. He brings something different to the tennis world with his character, the way he is on the court and the way he is off the court. He's larger than life.
Deea is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 03:42 PM   #733
country flag carroll

carroll has a reputation beyond reputecarroll has a reputation beyond reputecarroll has a reputation beyond reputecarroll has a reputation beyond reputecarroll has a reputation beyond reputecarroll has a reputation beyond reputecarroll has a reputation beyond reputecarroll has a reputation beyond reputecarroll has a reputation beyond reputecarroll has a reputation beyond reputecarroll has a reputation beyond repute

No i don't think he can because last time thay speak of a collaboration between peter and the britsh tennis it was for a complete collaboration to the system in order to improve the players... And to be realistic, there is no coach today who is at the same time Davis Cup coach and player coach... I think it would be hard for Peter to deal at the same time with Davis Cup, Marat and his own family...

When you win, when you lose, when you smile or when you're mad : Marat you're still the best to watch.

"Just give yourself the opportunity, give yourself the chance. You have to
be happy with what you have achieved and don't take any notice if somebody
tells you that you should have achieved much more. You have achieved what
you have achieved. Nobody can take that away and you have a clear
conscience." Marat

Last edited by carroll : 09-17-2006 at 03:46 PM.
carroll is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 12:48 AM   #734
country flag PennyThePenguin
Scavenger Hunter

PennyThePenguin has a reputation beyond reputePennyThePenguin has a reputation beyond reputePennyThePenguin has a reputation beyond reputePennyThePenguin has a reputation beyond reputePennyThePenguin has a reputation beyond reputePennyThePenguin has a reputation beyond reputePennyThePenguin has a reputation beyond reputePennyThePenguin has a reputation beyond reputePennyThePenguin has a reputation beyond reputePennyThePenguin has a reputation beyond reputePennyThePenguin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by carroll
No i don't think he can because last time thay speak of a collaboration between peter and the britsh tennis it was for a complete collaboration to the system in order to improve the players... And to be realistic, there is no coach today who is at the same time Davis Cup coach and player coach... I think it would be hard for Peter to deal at the same time with Davis Cup, Marat and his own family...

wasn't peter also coach of roger when he coached the swiss DC? of course, that's a slightly different story seeing as he was roger's coach, but it was still double duty in a sense because he was there as a DC coach for the team

PS: kuniochi you accidentally pasted the entire article twice in your post
PennyThePenguin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 05:59 AM   #735

I keep seeing an ad at the top of the page that reads, "Change British Tennis: Searching for a world class team of leaders to develop UK tennis," and I keep scowling.