Peter Lundgren glorification thread - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 02-04-2005, 08:23 AM   #16
country flag Action Jackson
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Peter Lundgren glorification thread

Wow! I have officially reached absolute loser status and this is my 10 000th post and I don't know how or why it has been so long, but some info on Peter is a good thing to bring it up with.

There is only so much I can really say, no seriously. What do you want to know about the guy?

As a player Peter was a very talented player and had some very good strokes, and had a reputation as an upset artist, but dedication was never his strong point as a player, he could have been a top 10-20 player consistently if he showed more dedication.

Next fact look at the common theme of the players he coached Rios, Federer and Marat, you could say he likes to work with talentless donkeys, but being quite a talented player who didn't always focus, that helps him in the approach that he has had with these types of players.

He is from the central part of Sweden, but now lives on the west coast of Sweden with his family and he has 2 kids as well. He was going to be the Swiss DC captain when Peter Carter died, but as he wasn't a Swiss citizen they didn't give it him and he helped Marc Rosset initially.

Peter is a bit of a rocker and likes the rock and metal music and his father was a very good musician, as a coach well I remember making fun of some of the Safinistas because when the results weren't coming that they should sack him and I just laughed, and the calls will happen again if he doesn't perform, but that's human nature.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2005, 08:38 AM   #17
jmp

jmp has a reputation beyond reputejmp has a reputation beyond reputejmp has a reputation beyond reputejmp has a reputation beyond reputejmp has a reputation beyond reputejmp has a reputation beyond reputejmp has a reputation beyond reputejmp has a reputation beyond reputejmp has a reputation beyond reputejmp has a reputation beyond reputejmp has a reputation beyond repute

Happy 10,000th, GWH! Thanks for the background. I remember the cries for Peter's head. It's so interesting that you note Peter coaching players who were similiar in that they are/were talented, but, need/needed direction. All three of the players you mentioned reached #1.

This is a subject I've been wary about bringing up. But, do you have any indication that there is bad blood between the Federer team and Peter? I hope not because I really like Roger, Peter, and Marat. I like the way Roger and Marat get on. A key moment in their semi was when Roger missed a DTL he would usually get. Marat said, "Thank you," and Roger said, "You're welcome." Then they both smiled before the next point.
jmp is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 08:45 AM   #18
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

jmp, if I know anything I am not going to talk about.

Marat and Roger get along very well that is obvious enough.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Old 02-04-2005, 08:55 AM   #19
jmp

jmp has a reputation beyond reputejmp has a reputation beyond reputejmp has a reputation beyond reputejmp has a reputation beyond reputejmp has a reputation beyond reputejmp has a reputation beyond reputejmp has a reputation beyond reputejmp has a reputation beyond reputejmp has a reputation beyond reputejmp has a reputation beyond reputejmp has a reputation beyond repute

Makes sense to me and, yes, they do get along well.
jmp is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 09:42 AM   #20
country flag Shadow

Shadow has a reputation beyond reputeShadow has a reputation beyond reputeShadow has a reputation beyond reputeShadow has a reputation beyond reputeShadow has a reputation beyond reputeShadow has a reputation beyond reputeShadow has a reputation beyond reputeShadow has a reputation beyond reputeShadow has a reputation beyond reputeShadow has a reputation beyond reputeShadow has a reputation beyond repute

thanks for the info, GWH.
Old 02-04-2005, 09:46 AM   #21
country flag Shadow

Shadow has a reputation beyond reputeShadow has a reputation beyond reputeShadow has a reputation beyond reputeShadow has a reputation beyond reputeShadow has a reputation beyond reputeShadow has a reputation beyond reputeShadow has a reputation beyond reputeShadow has a reputation beyond reputeShadow has a reputation beyond reputeShadow has a reputation beyond reputeShadow has a reputation beyond repute

I`ve always liked Peter, because he is a great coach and a very nice person. I believed he was the one to help Marat and overcome his mental issues, but of course it was difficult and they needed their time to build up a right relationship base so that Marat will trust him and listen to him, but it seems like the work paid off. I think the most important thing is that Marat respects Peter as a person and a coach. And Peter is a very dedicated and emotional man in Marats matches, thats what i like, too.
Old 02-04-2005, 09:55 AM   #22
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Marat has had good coaches before Peter, but as I have said before when the appointment was made it was a brilliant choice by Marat, though he had to be open enough to accept that things were going to be different and acting upon it.

Quote:
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Old 02-04-2005, 10:08 AM   #23
country flag Bibir

Bibir has a reputation beyond reputeBibir has a reputation beyond reputeBibir has a reputation beyond reputeBibir has a reputation beyond reputeBibir has a reputation beyond reputeBibir has a reputation beyond reputeBibir has a reputation beyond reputeBibir has a reputation beyond reputeBibir has a reputation beyond reputeBibir has a reputation beyond reputeBibir has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeWHitler
Wow! I have officially reached absolute loser status and this is my 10 000th post
Congrats man! Finally you joined the mass gathering of losers! Be proud!

Quote:
Next fact look at the common theme of the players he coached Rios, Federer and Marat, you could say he likes to work with talentless donkeys, but being quite a talented player who didn't always focus, that helps him in the approach that he has had with these types of players.
I heard that Peter was quite lazy when he was a player...He probably learned from his own mistakes...That's why he knows what to do with mental issues.

He's very successful as a coach because he knows better than anyone else how to fulfill his players' abilities.
Of course, we can say that they were already gifted...but despite having a perfect technique they are lost without mental conditionning.
Safin's fans know that the potential is not enough.
Old 02-04-2005, 10:14 AM   #24
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Yes, Bea that is true I remember having that same discussion in 2000 about him with a few friends and one of them mentioned the point that Peter was a very talented player, yet he was coaching another very talented player and how would the dynamics work and I said tactically he is quite good underneath that exterior. Unlike some coaches he doesn't want the spotlight and is there for his player.

The best thing about him was that he had enough of Rios and was just pissed off with him and left him and not the other way around.

Quote:
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Old 02-04-2005, 10:37 AM   #25
country flag Aurora
icicles down my spine

Aurora has a reputation beyond reputeAurora has a reputation beyond reputeAurora has a reputation beyond reputeAurora has a reputation beyond reputeAurora has a reputation beyond reputeAurora has a reputation beyond reputeAurora has a reputation beyond reputeAurora has a reputation beyond reputeAurora has a reputation beyond reputeAurora has a reputation beyond reputeAurora has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder how much is talked about tactics. Thoroughly, hardly (Peter pointing out a few highlights) or only on certain matches?

who is who?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bea

Aurora is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 10:43 AM   #26
country flag Bibir

Bibir has a reputation beyond reputeBibir has a reputation beyond reputeBibir has a reputation beyond reputeBibir has a reputation beyond reputeBibir has a reputation beyond reputeBibir has a reputation beyond reputeBibir has a reputation beyond reputeBibir has a reputation beyond reputeBibir has a reputation beyond reputeBibir has a reputation beyond reputeBibir has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeWHitler
as a coach well I remember making fun of some of the Safinistas because when the results weren't coming that they should sack him and I just laughed, and the calls will happen again if he doesn't perform, but that's human nature.
Right...it's part of the human nature...Plus, we live in a consumer society. People have no patience anymore...They want everything...fast...

And when there's no result, it's always trainer's fault ...Football/soccer is the perfect example...How many coaches are fired when a team loses?

Last edited by Bea : 02-04-2005 at 10:45 AM.
Bibir is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 10:45 AM   #27
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Sometimes it can't be the trainer or coach's fault, but a lot of players are too pampered these days, so if they don't have faith in the trainer, they don't perform and if they don't perform for him, then they'll get sacked.

Quote:
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Old 02-04-2005, 10:45 AM   #28
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

I meant the coach will get sacked.

Quote:
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Old 02-04-2005, 11:12 AM   #29
country flag PennyThePenguin
Scavenger Hunter

PennyThePenguin has a reputation beyond reputePennyThePenguin has a reputation beyond reputePennyThePenguin has a reputation beyond reputePennyThePenguin has a reputation beyond reputePennyThePenguin has a reputation beyond reputePennyThePenguin has a reputation beyond reputePennyThePenguin has a reputation beyond reputePennyThePenguin has a reputation beyond reputePennyThePenguin has a reputation beyond reputePennyThePenguin has a reputation beyond reputePennyThePenguin has a reputation beyond repute

thanks for the background GWH
PennyThePenguin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 12:00 PM   #30
country flag foul_dwimmerlaik

foul_dwimmerlaik has a reputation beyond reputefoul_dwimmerlaik has a reputation beyond reputefoul_dwimmerlaik has a reputation beyond reputefoul_dwimmerlaik has a reputation beyond reputefoul_dwimmerlaik has a reputation beyond reputefoul_dwimmerlaik has a reputation beyond reputefoul_dwimmerlaik has a reputation beyond reputefoul_dwimmerlaik has a reputation beyond reputefoul_dwimmerlaik has a reputation beyond reputefoul_dwimmerlaik has a reputation beyond reputefoul_dwimmerlaik has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, 10 000 posts. That's some number, congrads. And thatks for the info on Peter. Did you see him play?