Peter Lundgren glorification thread - Page 13 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 04-01-2005, 11:57 AM   #181
country flag Action Jackson
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Peter Lundgren glorification thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by mer
GWH, imho your righteousness is a little bit excessive. Players can use the rules in their own favour (to a certain extent of course) as long as these rules allow it, especially when GS is at stake. Naturally we get irritated when the "other guy" does it and forgive "our guy" for doing it, though we all wish him to be totally irreproachable in this respect.
Is that right? Considering that I was pissed off when a player I like took an injury time out for cramps, when it's his own fault that he cramped and shouldn't get any treatment, call me righteous or whatever you like I'll stick to the principles on this issue.

Just remember it's ok when your fave does it and not someone you dislike.

Quote:
And btw was it fair when they closed the roof in the match with Hrbaty ? They have the rule about 35 degrees and Marat happened to be the one who gained by it, had the weather been 1 degree lower Hrbaty would have been the lucky one. That's life.
It wasn't fair as the women's matches were played with the roof open that's the main problem I had with that decision. It's either all matches or none.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2005, 12:03 PM   #182
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibir
Yeah, that depends on the perspective...We are focused on his gamesmanship and biased Safin fans in MTF...but what about the others who thought before AO Open that he was a joke, an underachiever, an entertainer, a clown..They were more annoying no?
There are lots of biased people there too.
There are certain people who are always going to call him an underachiever, when they have unrealistic expectations. I guarantee if he won 6 Slams, some people still wouldn't be happy with that. Everyone has biases this is obvious, it depends on the degree and how they are expressed.

Now that Marat won another slam, he's become suddenly the true rival, the savior...In fact, he's still the same.

Quote:
Maybe because he has never been outplayed.

No, seriously, Good point...But I didn't know we were that annoying for you.
Just stating a point and I have seen him outplayed a few times.

Quote:
ok! He is in final again..and he is completly lost once again...He wants desperatly to win and uses this gamesmanship to regroup a little bit because he was not himself obviously...woow..TERRIBLE!
Just remember that if someone does it to him in a major match and Marat isn't good enough to hold his concentration. No whining about gamesmanship in this case.

I am going to ask for timeouts when I have to do something cause I am nervous.

Quote:
Nobody said he was perfect...And he was honest enough to admit that he had to do something to change the situation.

Not everything is black and white in sport or in life
When did I say it was? There are somethings that can be controlled and others can't.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Old 04-01-2005, 12:10 PM   #183
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Quote:
Originally Posted by foul_dwimmerlaik
But you see, there are losses and there are losses. When he lost to Roger in Hewston, he's been outplayed when it counted. Ditto Roddick. Ditto Nalbandian at RG (never mind the blisters). And so on. But when Marat loses to washed up Enquist who then proceeds to lose in the next round, it's pretty obvious where the problem was.
He has never lost to Ginepri or to Gambill for the loss of 2 games in a Slam, can't make excuses in that regard.

Quote:
That's not an excuse by any stretch - Marat should worry about bringing his game on court, not his opponent. It's just stating the obvious: when a top 10 player loses or struggles badly against someone whos' not even in the top 100, there must be some oafing involved. Especially given Marat's history.
Marat has to bring his game to the court all the time, but you know how consistent he is. Marat isn't just going to do it on talent alone is he? It's not the WTA here, if a top player (Federer excepted) isn't at their best and the lower guy plays to or above their potential then these results will happen.

Quote:
Players do it all the time. I didn't castigate Marat for it, and I didn't castigate Hewitt later. They're professional sportsmen, not Sirs Lancelot and Galahad. They do whatever they need to win - as long as rules allow, I'm fine with it.
Some consistency in this and if you keep that attitude that's cool.

Quote:
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Old 04-01-2005, 12:17 PM   #184
country flag mer

mer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeWHitler
Just remember it's ok when your fave does it and not someone you dislike.
I said irritated because I wish "my guy" to win, but I'll not accuse the other guy for doing it.

Quote:
It wasn't fair as the women's matches were played with the roof open that's the main problem I had with that decision. It's either all matches or none.
you can question the rule, but not the players who benefit by it...

Last edited by mer : 04-01-2005 at 02:02 PM.
mer is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 12:22 PM   #185
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Quote:
Originally Posted by mer
I said irritated because I wish "my guy" to win, but I'll not accuse the other guy for doing it.
Of course you want your player to win, that makes sense. Foul has got it right, it's one way or other.

Quote:
your can question the rule, but not the players who benefit by it...
That was Marat's fortunate day during those 2 weeks, every Slam champion has a bit of luck, he was good enough to take advantage of that everything else there is no question that he was the player of the tournament. Yes, I have given it to some Fed fans for trying to discredit Marat's win.

Quote:
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Old 04-01-2005, 12:47 PM   #186
country flag foul_dwimmerlaik

foul_dwimmerlaik has a reputation beyond reputefoul_dwimmerlaik has a reputation beyond reputefoul_dwimmerlaik has a reputation beyond reputefoul_dwimmerlaik has a reputation beyond reputefoul_dwimmerlaik has a reputation beyond reputefoul_dwimmerlaik has a reputation beyond reputefoul_dwimmerlaik has a reputation beyond reputefoul_dwimmerlaik has a reputation beyond reputefoul_dwimmerlaik has a reputation beyond reputefoul_dwimmerlaik has a reputation beyond reputefoul_dwimmerlaik has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
He has never lost to Ginepri or to Gambill for the loss of 2 games in a Slam, can't make excuses in that regard.
Meaning?
Quote:
Marat has to bring his game to the court all the time, but you know how consistent he is. Marat isn't just going to do it on talent alone is he? It's not the WTA here, if a top player (Federer excepted) isn't at their best and the lower guy plays to or above their potential then these results will happen.
I've got a feeling that we're talking about the same thing here, George. Operative words are: isn't at their best, which means "oafing" as far as I can tell. But if Marat doesn't play at his best, or near his best and loses, there's only one to blame for it: Marat himself. I don't see how it's excuses.

Quote:
Some consistency in this and if you keep that attitude that's cool.
As I said in another thread, I'm an equal opportunity forgiver.
Old 04-01-2005, 12:47 PM   #187
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Thanks for the discussion and all the different viewpoints expressed. I got plenty of good things out of that from the different posts.

Now I am going to follow the Marat example and enjoy the nightlife this evening.

[IMG]http://smileys.******************/cat/10/10_1_106.gif[/IMG]

Quote:
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Old 04-01-2005, 12:51 PM   #188
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Quote:
Originally Posted by foul_dwimmerlaik
Meaning?
He has had bad losses, but not like Gaudio.

Quote:
I've got a feeling that we're talking about the same thing here, George. Operative words are: isn't at their best, which means "oafing" as far as I can tell. But if Marat doesn't play at his best, or near his best and loses, there's only one to blame for it: Marat himself. I don't see how it's excuses.
Just because he isn't at his best, it means he is "oafing", though when he does play drop shots I do think that. Actually not always I saw a match in Hamburg 01 when Gaudio beat him 6-0 7-6, there was no "oafing" there, it was because Gaston was too good and hardly made errors in that 1st set and Marat was going crazy. He was outplayed and that is not "oafing".

Quote:
As I said in another thread, I'm an equal opportunity forgiver.
Respect.

Quote:
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Old 04-01-2005, 12:55 PM   #189
country flag foul_dwimmerlaik

foul_dwimmerlaik has a reputation beyond reputefoul_dwimmerlaik has a reputation beyond reputefoul_dwimmerlaik has a reputation beyond reputefoul_dwimmerlaik has a reputation beyond reputefoul_dwimmerlaik has a reputation beyond reputefoul_dwimmerlaik has a reputation beyond reputefoul_dwimmerlaik has a reputation beyond reputefoul_dwimmerlaik has a reputation beyond reputefoul_dwimmerlaik has a reputation beyond reputefoul_dwimmerlaik has a reputation beyond reputefoul_dwimmerlaik has a reputation beyond repute

Enjoy yourself.
Old 04-01-2005, 12:59 PM   #190
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Quote:
Originally Posted by storm923
Peter seems like play on the grass court.
But Marat hates grass.
I don´t know if he could change Marat´s mind.
That would be interesting to see how he can help the Marat mindset during the grass season.

Quote:
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Old 04-01-2005, 12:59 PM   #191
country flag Bibir

Bibir has a reputation beyond reputeBibir has a reputation beyond reputeBibir has a reputation beyond reputeBibir has a reputation beyond reputeBibir has a reputation beyond reputeBibir has a reputation beyond reputeBibir has a reputation beyond reputeBibir has a reputation beyond reputeBibir has a reputation beyond reputeBibir has a reputation beyond reputeBibir has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
[IMG]http://smileys.******************/cat/10/10_1_106.gif[/IMG]
Don't let it end like this...You look like an idiot now!
Old 04-01-2005, 12:59 PM   #192
country flag Bibir

Bibir has a reputation beyond reputeBibir has a reputation beyond reputeBibir has a reputation beyond reputeBibir has a reputation beyond reputeBibir has a reputation beyond reputeBibir has a reputation beyond reputeBibir has a reputation beyond reputeBibir has a reputation beyond reputeBibir has a reputation beyond reputeBibir has a reputation beyond reputeBibir has a reputation beyond repute

OUF! you posted something else.
Old 04-01-2005, 01:00 PM   #193
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Got places to be Bea, this thread will still be here when I logon tomorrow.

Quote:
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Old 04-01-2005, 01:48 PM   #194
country flag PennyThePenguin
Scavenger Hunter

PennyThePenguin has a reputation beyond reputePennyThePenguin has a reputation beyond reputePennyThePenguin has a reputation beyond reputePennyThePenguin has a reputation beyond reputePennyThePenguin has a reputation beyond reputePennyThePenguin has a reputation beyond reputePennyThePenguin has a reputation beyond reputePennyThePenguin has a reputation beyond reputePennyThePenguin has a reputation beyond reputePennyThePenguin has a reputation beyond reputePennyThePenguin has a reputation beyond repute

interesting discussion going on here. but i'm too spaced out to think too much so if u'll excuse me...i'll just read.
PennyThePenguin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 04:46 PM   #195
country flag MariaV

MariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah wow you've been busy debating.
I'll refrain myself.
MariaV is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote