Peter Lundgren glorification thread - Page 12 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 04-01-2005, 03:55 AM   #166
country flag Action Jackson
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Peter Lundgren glorification thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by maratski
It must have been the Mantilla match...GWH always knows when it's a match in which one of his faves is involved. I've never justified Marat's gamesmanship and am honest enough to admit he lost to the better player, but not always. At the end of the day I'm just human.
I'd be on Mantilla if he pulled stuff like that and considering you know I don't hate Marat it was ordinary for him to pull stunts like this when he is better than that.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2005, 03:58 AM   #167
country flag jole

jole has a reputation beyond reputejole has a reputation beyond reputejole has a reputation beyond reputejole has a reputation beyond reputejole has a reputation beyond reputejole has a reputation beyond reputejole has a reputation beyond reputejole has a reputation beyond reputejole has a reputation beyond reputejole has a reputation beyond reputejole has a reputation beyond repute

I think Peter needs to have Marat whip him into shape, and then get playing on the seniors tour.
jole is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 04:00 AM   #168
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrbatyfan
I think Peter needs to have Marat whip him into shape, and then get playing on the seniors tour.
They have enough jokers on the seniors tour. Lundgren still hits a very good ball, though the movement could be better.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Old 04-01-2005, 04:02 AM   #169
country flag jole

jole has a reputation beyond reputejole has a reputation beyond reputejole has a reputation beyond reputejole has a reputation beyond reputejole has a reputation beyond reputejole has a reputation beyond reputejole has a reputation beyond reputejole has a reputation beyond reputejole has a reputation beyond reputejole has a reputation beyond reputejole has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeWHitler
They have enough jokers on the seniors tour. Lundgren still hits a very good ball, though the movement could be better.
Would you believe Mikael Pernfors and Anders Jarryd are found in the top 6 rankings in the Delta Seniors tour? God bless the great variety of Swedes, though.
Old 04-01-2005, 04:05 AM   #170
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrbatyfan
Would you believe Mikael Pernfors and Anders Jarryd are found in the top 6 rankings in the Delta Seniors tour? God bless the great variety of Swedes, though.
That was a great era and Lundgren was a good player when he felt like it.

Off topic check the Oldies thread Mr Gross has been updated.

Quote:
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Old 04-01-2005, 04:06 AM   #171
country flag jole

Quote:
That was a great era and Lundgren was a good player when he felt like it.

Off topic check the Oldies thread Mr Gross has been updated.
For sure, Oliver has always maintained residence in a special part of my heart.
Old 04-01-2005, 09:39 AM   #172
country flag Shadow

Shadow has a reputation beyond reputeShadow has a reputation beyond reputeShadow has a reputation beyond reputeShadow has a reputation beyond reputeShadow has a reputation beyond reputeShadow has a reputation beyond reputeShadow has a reputation beyond reputeShadow has a reputation beyond reputeShadow has a reputation beyond reputeShadow has a reputation beyond reputeShadow has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibir
You see, we are not that blind..we don't live in Denial Land.

But we are human beings, we are fans and sometimes we are biased...when someone is critisizing your player, you always defend him..it's a natural instinct.

And it's not like I was trying to defend a bad guy...Marat is a very fair player no?
Biased or not when I think about him..I first think about his sportsmanship.

But that was not your point..You know that he's fair...You just wanted us to admit his gamesmanship ....and we did!
I also think most of his fans can admit when he did something that was not good, but we also know that he has normally a really good sportsmanship.
Old 04-01-2005, 09:43 AM   #173
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Quote:
When you said "you"...I understood "me"..and not "you all"...but I'm not that egocentric usually.
Don't worry about that it was something that I could have worded a lot better as well.

Quote:
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Old 04-01-2005, 09:52 AM   #174
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Quote:
You see, we are not that blind..we don't live in Denial Land.

But we are human beings, we are fans and sometimes we are biased...when someone is critisizing your player, you always defend him..it's a natural instinct.
It depends on the criticism I mean there are definite cases when it's deserved and other times not so, but that depends on the perspective.

How come Safin has never lost a match when he has been outplayed? He is just Oafing.

Quote:
And it's not like I was trying to defend a bad guy...Marat is a very fair player no?
Biased or not when I think about him..I first think about his sportsmanship.
That's why it was absolute shit that he pulled that stunt and the same in the AO final, then Hewitt did it as well and they were as bad as each other in this regard.

Quote:
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Old 04-01-2005, 10:11 AM   #175
country flag Curls

Curls has a reputation beyond reputeCurls has a reputation beyond reputeCurls has a reputation beyond reputeCurls has a reputation beyond reputeCurls has a reputation beyond reputeCurls has a reputation beyond reputeCurls has a reputation beyond reputeCurls has a reputation beyond reputeCurls has a reputation beyond reputeCurls has a reputation beyond reputeCurls has a reputation beyond repute

Great discussion guys ... I've been lurking around, but I'll put in my 5c worth.

Quote:
That's why it was absolute shit that he pulled that stunt and the same in the AO final, then Hewitt did it as well and they were as bad as each other in this regard.
During the AO final, the aussie commentators did comment on the fact that when Safin called for the trainer to massage his legs that 'the rules were never intended for this' .... however (and now I'm being a biased Safin fan) they never said it when Hewitt called for the trainer
I guess players must use all tactics they can to get an edge on their opponent ... and I guess fans feel that their guy/gal can do no wrong (well, mostly).

IMHO, anyway

==========================================

Don't cry because it's over ...
be happy because it happened.

Curls is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 10:13 AM   #176
country flag Curls

Curls has a reputation beyond reputeCurls has a reputation beyond reputeCurls has a reputation beyond reputeCurls has a reputation beyond reputeCurls has a reputation beyond reputeCurls has a reputation beyond reputeCurls has a reputation beyond reputeCurls has a reputation beyond reputeCurls has a reputation beyond reputeCurls has a reputation beyond reputeCurls has a reputation beyond repute

luv your sig, btw, George

==========================================

Don't cry because it's over ...
be happy because it happened.

Curls is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 10:27 AM   #177
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curls
During the AO final, the aussie commentators did comment on the fact that when Safin called for the trainer to massage his legs that 'the rules were never intended for this' .... however (and now I'm being a biased Safin fan) they never said it when Hewitt called for the trainer
I guess players must use all tactics they can to get an edge on their opponent ... and I guess fans feel that their guy/gal can do no wrong (well, mostly).

IMHO, anyway
Aussie commentators are biased in a big way, but as I said it was shit that Marat needed to do that instead of pushing through his nerves and Hewitt well that was retaliation, it doesn't make it better.

No, they don't have to use those tactics to get ahead, if they are good enough then they'll win without them. Not all these sportspeople aren't gods or extra special just because they are talented. If a friend of mine was being an arse clown I'd tell them and that is vice versa.

Quote:
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Old 04-01-2005, 11:32 AM   #178
country flag mer

mer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond repute

GWH, imho your righteousness is a little bit excessive. Players can use the rules in their own favour (to a certain extent of course) as long as these rules allow it, especially when GS is at stake. Naturally we get irritated when the "other guy" does it and forgive "our guy" for doing it, though we all want him to be totally irreproachable in this respect.

And btw was it fair when they closed the roof in the match with Hrbaty ? They have the rule about 35 degrees and Marat happened to be the one who gained by it, had the weather been 1 degree lower Hrbaty would have been the lucky one. That's life.

Last edited by mer : 04-01-2005 at 05:22 PM.
mer is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 11:47 AM   #179
country flag Bibir

Bibir has a reputation beyond reputeBibir has a reputation beyond reputeBibir has a reputation beyond reputeBibir has a reputation beyond reputeBibir has a reputation beyond reputeBibir has a reputation beyond reputeBibir has a reputation beyond reputeBibir has a reputation beyond reputeBibir has a reputation beyond reputeBibir has a reputation beyond reputeBibir has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
It depends on the criticism I mean there are definite cases when it's deserved and other times not so, but that depends on the perspective.
Yeah, that depends on the perspective...We are focused on his gamesmanship and biased Safin fans in MTF...but what about the others who thought before AO Open that he was a joke, an underachiever, an entertainer, a clown..They were more annoying no?
There are lots of biased people there too.

Now that Marat won another slam, he's become suddenly the true rival, the savior...In fact, he's still the same.

Quote:
How come Safin has never lost a match when he has been outplayed? He is just Oafing.
Maybe because he has never been outplayed.

No, seriously, Good point...But I didn't know we were that annoying for you.

Quote:
ok! He is in final again..and he is completly lost once again...He wants desperatly to win and uses this gamesmanship to regroup a little bit because he was not himself obviously...woow..TERRIBLE!

Nobody said he was perfect...And he was honest enough to admit that he had to do something to change the situation.

Not everything is black and white in sport or in life.

Last edited by Bibir : 04-01-2005 at 11:57 AM.
Bibir is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 11:53 AM   #180
country flag foul_dwimmerlaik

foul_dwimmerlaik has a reputation beyond reputefoul_dwimmerlaik has a reputation beyond reputefoul_dwimmerlaik has a reputation beyond reputefoul_dwimmerlaik has a reputation beyond reputefoul_dwimmerlaik has a reputation beyond reputefoul_dwimmerlaik has a reputation beyond reputefoul_dwimmerlaik has a reputation beyond reputefoul_dwimmerlaik has a reputation beyond reputefoul_dwimmerlaik has a reputation beyond reputefoul_dwimmerlaik has a reputation beyond reputefoul_dwimmerlaik has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
But you see, there are losses and there are losses. When he lost to Roger in Hewston, he's been outplayed when it counted. Ditto Roddick. Ditto Nalbandian at RG (never mind the blisters). And so on. But when Marat loses to washed up Enquist who then proceeds to lose in the next round, it's pretty obvious where the problem was.

That's not an excuse by any stretch - Marat should worry about bringing his game on court, not his opponent. It's just stating the obvious: when a top 10 player loses or struggles badly against someone whos' not even in the top 100, there must be some oafing involved. Especially given Marat's history.

Quote:
Players do it all the time. I didn't castigate Marat for it, and I didn't castigate Hewitt later. They're professional sportsmen, not Sirs Lancelot and Galahad. They do whatever they need to win - as long as rules allow, I'm fine with it.

Last edited by foul_dwimmerlaik : 04-01-2005 at 11:57 AM.
foul_dwimmerlaik is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote