Peter Lundgren glorification thread - Page 10 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 03-31-2005, 07:19 AM   #136
country flag Action Jackson
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Peter Lundgren glorification thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by foul_dwimmerlaik
Marat doesn't have all that much time though. I admire what Peter did with Marat so far, he's a top-notch coach, but situations are not really comparable. Roger was a junior when Peter started to work with him, his game and personality was still building (as far as I know - I have no in-depth knowledge of Peter-Roger relationship); Marat is an established player and person already, all that Peter can do is some tweaking. Maybe it'll prove enough.
You are right there are some differences and not every situation is the same, but this is where the coach needs to be adaptable to suit the certain types of situation.

Quote:
Peter did fine thus far, despite recent bad losses, and I admit, those losses were hard to take for me as a fan, especially after the AO. But Marat won a slam, the only really important tournament so far this year. He won it in a very convincing fashion. I have to remind myself that.
Marat will always have losses like this, when he isn't there and can't be bothered with it. My dream is that some Safin fans accept that he mightn't be good enough on that day, was outplayed it does happen now and then, instead of making poor excuses, that won't happen.

He has to peak for the major events and that's what counts.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2005, 07:35 AM   #137
country flag Shadow

Shadow has a reputation beyond reputeShadow has a reputation beyond reputeShadow has a reputation beyond reputeShadow has a reputation beyond reputeShadow has a reputation beyond reputeShadow has a reputation beyond reputeShadow has a reputation beyond reputeShadow has a reputation beyond reputeShadow has a reputation beyond reputeShadow has a reputation beyond reputeShadow has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibir
Andrea!

Puschkin would like to read the longer version of the Interview for the Swiss Newsmagazin "Facts"....Do you know where to find it?
erm, no sorry I don`t know where to find it, because i just got the answer about Marat and Roger from some other tennis site, but not the whole interview. Sorry.
Old 03-31-2005, 07:38 AM   #138
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I would like to know what exactly happened between Roger and Peter?

And how was his relationship with Rios? How long did it take with him?
a) If I know anything I am not going to say on a public board.

b) Well Rios was a very young guy and was ranked outside the top 50 and Lundgren got him to # 9 in the world, then Rios being Rios they had enough of each other and went their own ways.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Old 03-31-2005, 07:56 AM   #139
country flag Puschkin

Puschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Andrea!

Puschkin would like to read the longer version of the Interview for the Swiss Newsmagazin "Facts"....Do you know where to find it?
Thanks for trying

As for coaches: I think that tennis is one of the most individual sports, therefore, any coach's contribution is rather limited. This does not mean, they are useless, though, but finally it is all in the individual player's hands, feet and mind.

I also think that Lundgren's role in Marat's AO win has been exaggerated. But Peter certainly has a feel for talent when selecting the guys he works with and he does not shy away from challanges - personalitywise.
Puschkin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 07:59 AM   #140
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puschkin
I also think that Lundgren's role in Marat's AO win has been exaggerated. But Peter certainly has a feel for talent when selecting the guys he works with and he does not shy away from challanges - personalitywise.
Why is it exaggerated?

Quote:
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Old 03-31-2005, 08:25 AM   #141
country flag Puschkin

Puschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeWHitler
Why is it exaggerated?
Quote:
Originally Posted by foul_dwimmerlaik
I've said it in another thread (don't remember which one) and I gladly repeat it here: Peter Lundgren is my new god. Peter. What he seems to have to be doing to Marat's self-belief and confidence is amazing (knocking on wood), especially now that we know exactly how dire the problem was.

All hail Peter!
Well, isn't this exaggerated? But my point was more of a general nature.
Old 03-31-2005, 08:28 AM   #142
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Quote:
Well, isn't this exaggerated? But my point was more of a general nature.
I am not religious, but how many people actually have an insight on the Marat personality? Marat doesn't know sometimes, but from the crap getting bagelled by Sanguinetti to winning a Slam in 2 weeks, if he didn't have a hand in turning that around, then what can I say.

Quote:
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Old 03-31-2005, 08:39 AM   #143
country flag Puschkin

Quote:
but from the crap getting bagelled by Sanguinetti to winning a Slam in 2 weeks, if he didn't have a hand in turning that around, then what can I say.
I did not say that Lundgren had no hand, but some posts and even articles at that time almost read as if Lundgren himself had played the matches and not Marat.
Old 03-31-2005, 08:45 AM   #144
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Quote:
I did not say that Lundgren had no hand, but some posts and even articles at that time almost read as if Lundgren himself had played the matches and not Marat.
Considering this has been said many times elsewhere from many tennis fans, everyone knows Marat has to do it himself that it's why it's called singles.

Foul, for one was being tongue in cheek with that comment, but he's a good coach whether you like it or not and his contribution is respected for what it is.

Quote:
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Old 03-31-2005, 08:50 AM   #145
country flag Puschkin

Quote:
Foul, for one was being tongue in cheek with that comment, but he's a good coach whether you like it or not and his contribution is respected for what it is.
I give up, I can't argue with you on three different threads at the same time
Old 03-31-2005, 08:57 AM   #146
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Quote:
I give up, I can't argue with you on three different threads at the same time
Is that right?

Quote:
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Old 03-31-2005, 09:19 AM   #147
country flag foul_dwimmerlaik

foul_dwimmerlaik has a reputation beyond reputefoul_dwimmerlaik has a reputation beyond reputefoul_dwimmerlaik has a reputation beyond reputefoul_dwimmerlaik has a reputation beyond reputefoul_dwimmerlaik has a reputation beyond reputefoul_dwimmerlaik has a reputation beyond reputefoul_dwimmerlaik has a reputation beyond reputefoul_dwimmerlaik has a reputation beyond reputefoul_dwimmerlaik has a reputation beyond reputefoul_dwimmerlaik has a reputation beyond reputefoul_dwimmerlaik has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think it's exaggerated, if you look through Marat's interviews around AO, he mentions Peter constantly, repeatedly, even without provocation. I think Peter was a huge influence, and a good one. If Marat says Peter convinced him that he can be a good player... that's pretty damn big.

But Peter's not a magician of course.
Old 03-31-2005, 09:21 AM   #148
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

I agree foul it's the perfect choice for Marat.

Quote:
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Old 03-31-2005, 03:40 PM   #149
country flag Bibir

Bibir has a reputation beyond reputeBibir has a reputation beyond reputeBibir has a reputation beyond reputeBibir has a reputation beyond reputeBibir has a reputation beyond reputeBibir has a reputation beyond reputeBibir has a reputation beyond reputeBibir has a reputation beyond reputeBibir has a reputation beyond reputeBibir has a reputation beyond reputeBibir has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Marat will always have losses like this, when he isn't there and can't be bothered with it. My dream is that some Safin fans accept that he mightn't be good enough on that day, was outplayed it does happen now and then, instead of making poor excuses, that won't happen.

He has to peak for the major events and that's what counts.
Can you understand GWH that we have emotions and that it's difficult sometimes....When you support and really like a player you suffer with him...You try to understand the guy...but it's not that easy...I was really perturbed after Sopot because of his attitude.

I don't remember who said that love was not only blind but stupid too...I'm not as smart as you.

Speaking about poor excuses, I think that Safin has surpassed his fans.
Old 03-31-2005, 03:58 PM   #150
country flag Bibir

Bibir has a reputation beyond reputeBibir has a reputation beyond reputeBibir has a reputation beyond reputeBibir has a reputation beyond reputeBibir has a reputation beyond reputeBibir has a reputation beyond reputeBibir has a reputation beyond reputeBibir has a reputation beyond reputeBibir has a reputation beyond reputeBibir has a reputation beyond reputeBibir has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
b) Well Rios was a very young guy and was ranked outside the top 50 and Lundgren got him to # 9 in the world, then Rios being Rios they had enough of each other and went their own ways.
Ok. Thanks.