Peter Lundgren glorification thread - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 02-04-2005, 12:18 AM   #1
country flag Bibir

Bibir has a reputation beyond reputeBibir has a reputation beyond reputeBibir has a reputation beyond reputeBibir has a reputation beyond reputeBibir has a reputation beyond reputeBibir has a reputation beyond reputeBibir has a reputation beyond reputeBibir has a reputation beyond reputeBibir has a reputation beyond reputeBibir has a reputation beyond reputeBibir has a reputation beyond repute
Default Peter Lundgren glorification thread

When I was young (few days ago) I thought that Dasha was nice but boring...now that I'm wise and old (few days after) I find our conversations about her "including mine" very boring and redundant.

She's nice...she's ugly....she's smart...she's boring...she's awful...I love her...I hate her...He should marry her...No, please Marry me!

Ilhame and Kiara inspired me for this thread...(Credit to Kiara for the title)... No offense Ilhame but I really hope (even if I have doubts these days) that my thread will be more popular than yours.

But I'm sure that you hope too.

Peter Lundgren deserves a glorification thread...He's the man!

I compare his relation with Safin to Yoda and Luke skywalker...The force will always be with them...
Peter: "Try not. Do or do not. There is no try."
Marat:" Yes Master."

He's a great coach...He made Marat believe in himself...he's really good with the psychological stuff...
He's a great tactician also and gave him focus and motivation.

As Misha (Marat's dad) said in his last interview, we should light a candle for Peter.

Advertisement

Old 02-04-2005, 12:23 AM   #2
country flag aceit

aceit has a reputation beyond reputeaceit has a reputation beyond reputeaceit has a reputation beyond reputeaceit has a reputation beyond reputeaceit has a reputation beyond reputeaceit has a reputation beyond reputeaceit has a reputation beyond reputeaceit has a reputation beyond reputeaceit has a reputation beyond reputeaceit has a reputation beyond reputeaceit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Peter Lundgren glorification thread

Peter

I love when they showed him on ESPN during Marat's matches because he was so pumped and into it.
Old 02-04-2005, 12:45 AM   #3
country flag Bibir

Bibir has a reputation beyond reputeBibir has a reputation beyond reputeBibir has a reputation beyond reputeBibir has a reputation beyond reputeBibir has a reputation beyond reputeBibir has a reputation beyond reputeBibir has a reputation beyond reputeBibir has a reputation beyond reputeBibir has a reputation beyond reputeBibir has a reputation beyond reputeBibir has a reputation beyond repute

More informations about Peter:

Birthdate: January 29, 1965
Birthplace: Gudmundra, Sweden
Career Singles Titles: 3
Career Win-Loss Record: 122-137

Singles Titles
1) 1985-10-21 Cologne
2) 1987-08-24 Rye Brook, New York
3) 1987-09-28 San Francisco, California

Last edited by Bea : 02-04-2005 at 12:48 AM.
Bibir is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 12:51 AM   #4
country flag Bibir

Interesting article.

Safin-Lundgren Partnership Pays Dividends Early in 2005

Marat Safin was having less than a good time at last year's US Open.

Up to that point in 2004 the temperamental Russian was 0-2 in tournament finals, losing to Roger Federer in the Australian Open championship match and to Juan Ignacio Chela on clay at Estoril.

A first-round loss to Thomas Enqvist at the US Open was the last straw.

After the match Safin and coach Peter Lundgren argued for a long period in the locker room. The Russian insisted his season was over, his game was in shambles, and it would be best to blow off the remaining tournaments on the year and take a sabbatical. Lundgren tried to keep things positive, insisting that the Asian events and the European indoor swing before the end of the year could easily turn his game around.

In the end Lundgren's persistence paid off, and Safin kept his post-Open obligation in Beijing where he won his first title of three in 2004, including Masters Series wins at Madrid and Paris.

Thus has been the influence of Lundgren on the wildly erratic Safin, who was seemingly destined for Grand Slam greatness when he brutalized Pete Sampras in the 2000 US Open final. With his win at the 2005 Australian Open, the Russian's pairing with the Swede has picked up where the four-year span of failed expectations finally left off.

Russian Tennis Federation President Shamil Tarpishchev, who said no foreigner could successfully coach Safin because in his opinion it was 'a Russian thing,' told Reuters he is now forced to eat his words.

"Without question, Peter Lundgren has been able to get the best out of Safin, which is by no means an easy thing to do," Tarpishchev said. "You have to give full credit to Lundgren for the way he has handled Marat's temper and channeled it in a positive way...He proved me wrong, but I'm not bitter. I'm happy, very happy for both Marat and Peter. It seems like they have found a common bond and you can see how much Marat respects his coach."

Safin says Lundgren, who also coached the surly Chilean former No. 1 Marcelo Rios, helped him conquer his self-doubt.

"He made me believe that I can be a good player and I don't have so much doubt about myself," Safin said after beating Lleyton Hewitt in the Aussie Open final. "He understood who I am and I understood what he wants from me. It took us four or five months before the results came. But then once they came, they have continued to come."

The result is almost laughable in retrospect, with tennis punters and the media completely writing off Safin prior to the Open. Safin skipped the two weeks of ATP events leading into Melbourne, making his only pseudo-competitive appearance representing Team Russia at the Hopman Cup exhibition.

In his first match against Germany, Safin dropped a three-setter to Tommy Haas, then teamed with countrywoman Anastasia Myskina to lose 7-6 in the third in the doubles. In his next match against Argentina, Safin lost the first set in a tiebreak to Guillermo Coria before mentally pulling the plug, losing the second set 6-1 then getting bageled in the doubles. It seemed the same old Marat in 2005.

In his last match versus David Sanguinetti of Italy, the big Russian split the first two sets in tiebreaks before bailing on the final set 6-0, then went on to lose the doubles for a perfect 0-6 record at the event.

"I am playing well. I am not complaining, I'm playing well, I am hitting the ball well. Peter is satisfied with the way I am playing," said Safin during the Hopman cup struggle. "I'm very confident of playing well (in Melbourne). Win a couple of matches and then everything is going under control."

Indeed.

Now that the numerous Roger Federer win streaks are no more, Safin himself has a new streak, 7-0 in 2005, and a rounding confidence to challenge the formerly un-challengable Swiss.

How long Lundgren can successfully manipulate the Rubik's Cube that is Marat Safin's brain, and if this is just another blip on the radar ala the 2000 US Open, will be interesting to observe during the next 10 months.
Old 02-04-2005, 12:57 AM   #5
country flag Bibir

I did not know that:

Quote:
After the match Safin and coach Peter Lundgren argued for a long period in the locker room. The Russian insisted his season was over, his game was in shambles, and it would be best to blow off the remaining tournaments on the year and take a sabbatical. Lundgren tried to keep things positive, insisting that the Asian events and the European indoor swing before the end of the year could easily turn his game around.
Peter.
Old 02-04-2005, 01:07 AM   #6
country flag Bibir

sexy pics for shallow girls!

Before Safin.

Old 02-04-2005, 01:12 AM   #7
jmp

jmp has a reputation beyond reputejmp has a reputation beyond reputejmp has a reputation beyond reputejmp has a reputation beyond reputejmp has a reputation beyond reputejmp has a reputation beyond reputejmp has a reputation beyond reputejmp has a reputation beyond reputejmp has a reputation beyond reputejmp has a reputation beyond reputejmp has a reputation beyond repute

Of course, your thread will be more popular, Bea, if you keep posting in it!

My friend is so sick of me playing the Roger-Marat and the AO final tapes over and over again. I told him that Peter was Yoda, too! Great minds think alike!

Thank you, Peter! You bring the best out of 'our' Marat! Don't stop now! <-- jmp's favorite smilie; it's what I do when I think about Marat winning majors! One more: my second favorite smilie:
jmp is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 01:24 AM   #8
country flag Bibir

My favs.

Old 02-04-2005, 01:24 AM   #9
country flag Action Jackson
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

Lundgren is a great guy and a very good coach. If there is any extra info that you want about him I'll provide my best for this cause.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 01:36 AM   #10
country flag Bibir

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmp
Of course, your thread will be more popular, Bea, if you keep posting in it!

as you can see...not a problem.

Quote:
My friend is so sick of me playing the Roger-Marat and the AO final tapes over and over again. I told him that Peter was Yoda, too! Great minds think alike!

He's a jedi!...There's no doubt.

The wisdom of Peter:
"I don't believe it. I can't win" --Marat to Yoda aka Peter
"That is why you fail." --Yoda to Hippo

Last edited by Bea : 02-04-2005 at 01:39 AM.
Bibir is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 01:47 AM   #11
country flag Bibir

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeWHitler
Lundgren is a great guy and a very good coach. If there is any extra info that you want about him I'll provide my best for this cause.

I realized that we don't know a lot about his carrer as a tennis player...his rankings...No pics...nothing.

If you have extra info...post them!
Old 02-04-2005, 01:47 AM   #12
country flag foul_dwimmerlaik

foul_dwimmerlaik has a reputation beyond reputefoul_dwimmerlaik has a reputation beyond reputefoul_dwimmerlaik has a reputation beyond reputefoul_dwimmerlaik has a reputation beyond reputefoul_dwimmerlaik has a reputation beyond reputefoul_dwimmerlaik has a reputation beyond reputefoul_dwimmerlaik has a reputation beyond reputefoul_dwimmerlaik has a reputation beyond reputefoul_dwimmerlaik has a reputation beyond reputefoul_dwimmerlaik has a reputation beyond reputefoul_dwimmerlaik has a reputation beyond repute

I've said it in another thread (don't remember which one) and I gladly repeat it here: Peter Lundgren is my new god. Peter. What he seems to have to be doing to Marat's self-belief and confidence is amazing (knocking on wood), especially now that we know exactly how dire the problem was.

All hail Peter!
Old 02-04-2005, 04:40 AM   #13
country flag junekidd

junekidd has a reputation beyond reputejunekidd has a reputation beyond reputejunekidd has a reputation beyond reputejunekidd has a reputation beyond reputejunekidd has a reputation beyond reputejunekidd has a reputation beyond reputejunekidd has a reputation beyond reputejunekidd has a reputation beyond reputejunekidd has a reputation beyond reputejunekidd has a reputation beyond reputejunekidd has a reputation beyond repute

great thread, bea!
I have no word but Peter now! he has changed Marat a lot though Marat didn't admit originally.

thanks GWH. I do want to learn more abt him. just post all what you know.

MARAT-SAFIN FOREVER

HIPPO, BLESS URSELF PLS
Good luck to GUGA MISHA CARLOS & FER

~~Go to Marat forum in Chinese~~
junekidd is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 05:40 AM   #14
country flag Wednesday Addams

Wednesday Addams has a reputation beyond reputeWednesday Addams has a reputation beyond reputeWednesday Addams has a reputation beyond reputeWednesday Addams has a reputation beyond reputeWednesday Addams has a reputation beyond reputeWednesday Addams has a reputation beyond reputeWednesday Addams has a reputation beyond reputeWednesday Addams has a reputation beyond reputeWednesday Addams has a reputation beyond reputeWednesday Addams has a reputation beyond reputeWednesday Addams has a reputation beyond repute

Peter

Peter is DA MAN!
Old 02-04-2005, 07:34 AM   #15
country flag maratski

maratski has a reputation beyond reputemaratski has a reputation beyond reputemaratski has a reputation beyond reputemaratski has a reputation beyond reputemaratski has a reputation beyond reputemaratski has a reputation beyond reputemaratski has a reputation beyond reputemaratski has a reputation beyond reputemaratski has a reputation beyond reputemaratski has a reputation beyond reputemaratski has a reputation beyond repute

Bea I also hope your thread will be more popular then mine!

I knew after thew USO things were hard, but I'm glad Peter got through to Marat. Look at the results.

May they stay together for a long time!

Member of the unofficial international Mohamed Lahyani fanclub
maratski is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote