Did Marat stop Fed's Grand Slam dreams ? - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 01-31-2005, 01:16 PM   #1
country flag TheMightyFed

TheMightyFed has a reputation beyond reputeTheMightyFed has a reputation beyond reputeTheMightyFed has a reputation beyond reputeTheMightyFed has a reputation beyond reputeTheMightyFed has a reputation beyond reputeTheMightyFed has a reputation beyond reputeTheMightyFed has a reputation beyond reputeTheMightyFed has a reputation beyond reputeTheMightyFed has a reputation beyond reputeTheMightyFed has a reputation beyond reputeTheMightyFed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Did Marat stop Fed's Grand Slam dreams ?

I see Safin's victory as a sign that the best guys have already raised their level of play and of concentration to approach Fed's, and the confirmation that in today's tennis it's almost impossible to do what Laver did in 62 and 69 ...
Fed could have taken advantage of the "surpise effect" of his invicibility in 2004 but now, he's like a rabbit and he will have to face many hunters in the coming months.

Last edited by mdhubert : 01-31-2005 at 01:49 PM.
TheMightyFed is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2005, 01:36 PM   #2
country flag wipeout

wipeout has a reputation beyond reputewipeout has a reputation beyond reputewipeout has a reputation beyond reputewipeout has a reputation beyond reputewipeout has a reputation beyond reputewipeout has a reputation beyond reputewipeout has a reputation beyond reputewipeout has a reputation beyond reputewipeout has a reputation beyond reputewipeout has a reputation beyond reputewipeout has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Did Marat stop Fed's Grand Slam dreams ?

It all obviously depends on Federer's confidence. We'll just have to wait and see how Roger reacts.

I guess Federer will be wary of Safin and also the best guys on clay and maybe not be his confident self against them, so the French Open has perhaps got a bit tougher now for him.

Everyone else, though, I'd still expect Federer to believe in himself to the extent the match is business as usual for him.

I'm guessing Roger's thinking will be for the season that well, okay, now there's Safin... but there's only really Safin. And maybe Nalbandian.

Last edited by wipeout : 01-31-2005 at 01:41 PM.
wipeout is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 01:39 PM   #3
country flag fedpras

fedpras has a reputation beyond reputefedpras has a reputation beyond reputefedpras has a reputation beyond reputefedpras has a reputation beyond reputefedpras has a reputation beyond reputefedpras has a reputation beyond reputefedpras has a reputation beyond reputefedpras has a reputation beyond reputefedpras has a reputation beyond reputefedpras has a reputation beyond reputefedpras has a reputation beyond repute

I never really expected Roger to win the Grand Slam, but I don't think one loss signals the end of his dominance in tennis.
Robredo Nadal Gonzalez Ancic
fedpras is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 01:40 PM   #4
WyveN
Banned!

WyveN has a reputation beyond reputeWyveN has a reputation beyond reputeWyveN has a reputation beyond reputeWyveN has a reputation beyond reputeWyveN has a reputation beyond reputeWyveN has a reputation beyond reputeWyveN has a reputation beyond reputeWyveN has a reputation beyond reputeWyveN has a reputation beyond reputeWyveN has a reputation beyond reputeWyveN has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdhubert
I see Safin's victory as a sign that the best guys have already raised their level of play and of concentration to approach Fed's
Top guys?
I still dont believe Hewitt or Roddick or Agassi will have anymore success against Federer this year then they did last year. It was always known that Safin can beat anyone.

Quote:
, and the confirmation that in today's tennis it's almost impossible to do what Laver did in 62 and 69 ...
Considering that the last few times someone has won 3 slams in a season, they have went slamless the following year very few people were seriously expecting Roger to win the grand slam. And he wouldnt have won it even if he won every match at AO in straight sets.

Quote:
Fed could have taken advantage on the "surpise effect" of his invicibility in 2004 but now
Surprise? I hardly think he won all those titles in 2004 because other players were surprised and underestimated him.
WyveN is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 01:41 PM   #5
jtipson

jtipson has a reputation beyond reputejtipson has a reputation beyond reputejtipson has a reputation beyond reputejtipson has a reputation beyond reputejtipson has a reputation beyond reputejtipson has a reputation beyond reputejtipson has a reputation beyond reputejtipson has a reputation beyond reputejtipson has a reputation beyond reputejtipson has a reputation beyond reputejtipson has a reputation beyond repute

Did Marat stop Fed's Grand Slam dreams?
No. He just stopped him being able to execute them in 2005
jtipson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 01:47 PM   #6

TheMightyFed has a reputation beyond reputeTheMightyFed has a reputation beyond reputeTheMightyFed has a reputation beyond reputeTheMightyFed has a reputation beyond reputeTheMightyFed has a reputation beyond reputeTheMightyFed has a reputation beyond reputeTheMightyFed has a reputation beyond reputeTheMightyFed has a reputation beyond reputeTheMightyFed has a reputation beyond reputeTheMightyFed has a reputation beyond reputeTheMightyFed has a reputation beyond repute

What I mean is that Marat produced such a level of focus and skills because that was Fed. Now he's too much of a target to do the Grand Slam, even if he stays dominant on the tour. To do it in 06, 07 or later will be much harder IMO. But if he does, he's the GREATEST...
Old 01-31-2005, 01:53 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyveN
Surprise? I hardly think he won all those titles in 2004 because other players were surprised and underestimated him.
Nope but it's tough to imagine that some players will win three out of four GS in the season... And he did. He's become a bit THE DOMINATOR. The goal is to stop the domination in GS to get the maximum recognition. I think that Safin was almost happier to beat Fed in SF than to get the trophy.
Old 01-31-2005, 01:59 PM   #8
country flag AnnabelLee

AnnabelLee has a reputation beyond reputeAnnabelLee has a reputation beyond reputeAnnabelLee has a reputation beyond reputeAnnabelLee has a reputation beyond reputeAnnabelLee has a reputation beyond reputeAnnabelLee has a reputation beyond reputeAnnabelLee has a reputation beyond reputeAnnabelLee has a reputation beyond reputeAnnabelLee has a reputation beyond reputeAnnabelLee has a reputation beyond reputeAnnabelLee has a reputation beyond repute

i'm really dissapointed that safin beat roger, but I hope they will play against each other many times this year. i don't hate safin but I hate his game, it's all about power nothing else.

Calleri, Berdych, Mayer
AnnabelLee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 02:00 PM   #9
jtipson

jtipson has a reputation beyond reputejtipson has a reputation beyond reputejtipson has a reputation beyond reputejtipson has a reputation beyond reputejtipson has a reputation beyond reputejtipson has a reputation beyond reputejtipson has a reputation beyond reputejtipson has a reputation beyond reputejtipson has a reputation beyond reputejtipson has a reputation beyond reputejtipson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
The goal is to stop the domination in GS to get the maximum recognition. I think that Safin was almost happier to beat Fed in SF than to get the trophy.
Surely the goal is to win GS? I think he would have been pretty pissed off if he'd have lost the final.
Old 01-31-2005, 02:02 PM   #10
WyveN
Banned!

WyveN has a reputation beyond reputeWyveN has a reputation beyond reputeWyveN has a reputation beyond reputeWyveN has a reputation beyond reputeWyveN has a reputation beyond reputeWyveN has a reputation beyond reputeWyveN has a reputation beyond reputeWyveN has a reputation beyond reputeWyveN has a reputation beyond reputeWyveN has a reputation beyond reputeWyveN has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtipson
Surely the goal is to win GS? I think he would have been pretty pissed off if he'd have lost the final.
I agree. If he had lost the final Lleyton would get all the credit and the fact that Safin beat Federer would be almost forgotten. As Safin himself said "no one remmember you if you lose final".
WyveN is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 02:06 PM   #11
country flag RonE

RonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think winning the Grand Slam was ever a realistic prospect, not even for Federer. There were matches last year in slams that he won but could have just as easily lost a point here and there making the difference just like it did against Marat.

That is the nature of the game- it is nigh impossible to go through a slam draw without having at least one tough match where you might be in serious danger of losing. That, and the different surfaces you need to specialize on, and the proximity of FO and Wimby are the main factors IMO why achieving the feat in today's game is impossible and will not be done.
RonE is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 02:16 PM   #12
country flag Puschkin

Puschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by wipeout
I guess Federer will be wary of Safin and also the best guys on clay and maybe not be his confident self against them, so the French Open has perhaps got a bit tougher now for him.
I think the opposite is true. He will be more motivated for RG with this defeat than without it.

And I also think that his tennis and character are strong enough not to lose it all after a single, close defeat.
Puschkin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 02:17 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyveN
the fact that Safin beat Federer would be almost forgotten.".
Not so sure... Let's see. But as everyone remembers Chang beating Lendl in FO 89 (4th round), who will remember this 05 finals Marat-Hewitt ?
Old 01-31-2005, 02:21 PM   #14
jtipson

Quote:
Not so sure... Let's see. But as everyone remembers Chang beating Lendl in FO 89 (4th round), who will remember this 05 finals Marat-Hewitt ?
But Chang won the final anyway, so it was part of his run. If Edberg had won it, he would held the Wimbledon and Roland Garros titles at the same time, and that would have been bigger than Chang beating Lendl I guess.
Old 01-31-2005, 02:30 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtipson
But Chang won the final anyway, so it was part of his run. If Edberg had won it, he would held the Wimbledon and Roland Garros titles at the same time, and that would have been bigger than Chang beating Lendl I guess.
You're partially right, but still, beating the dominating number 1 with an underarm service is quite a feat !