Agassi not! to retire in 2007 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 01-31-2005, 04:08 AM   #1
country flag Gigan

Gigan has a reputation beyond reputeGigan has a reputation beyond reputeGigan has a reputation beyond reputeGigan has a reputation beyond reputeGigan has a reputation beyond reputeGigan has a reputation beyond reputeGigan has a reputation beyond reputeGigan has a reputation beyond reputeGigan has a reputation beyond reputeGigan has a reputation beyond reputeGigan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Agassi not! to retire in 2007

Andre will retire when he will himself want it!
And no any f__n b__h can tell him to change his mind...

Advertisement

Old 01-31-2005, 04:16 AM   #2
country flag Gigan

Gigan has a reputation beyond reputeGigan has a reputation beyond reputeGigan has a reputation beyond reputeGigan has a reputation beyond reputeGigan has a reputation beyond reputeGigan has a reputation beyond reputeGigan has a reputation beyond reputeGigan has a reputation beyond reputeGigan has a reputation beyond reputeGigan has a reputation beyond reputeGigan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Agassi not! to retire in 2007

Agassi rested, ready to go for SAP title
Free of injury, tourney regular seeks sixth title in 13 appearances
Glenn Dickey, Chronicle Staff Writer

Sunday, January 30, 2005

That hardy perennial, Andre Agassi, will be making his 13th appearance in the Barry MacKay tournament, which is now known as the SAP Open, and he will be well-rested.

"After we got back from the Australian Open, our children (son, Jaden Gil, 3, and daughter, Jaz Elle, 1) slept for 13 hours straight," said Agassi, on a conference call from Las Vegas. "It was divine intervention. Steffi and I finally checked on them to make sure they were still alive."

Agassi, who sustained a hip injury just before the Australian Open, lost in straight sets in the quarterfinals to Roger Federer, the No. 1 player in the world, and said after that match, "I would suggest that his future opponents not look to me for advice."

He is feeling better now about his play, though, because he knows it was unrealistic to think he could get further in Australia because of the injury, from which he is now recovered.

"I felt I regrouped from that and gave myself a chance to be at my best," he said. "I felt good about the way I was hitting, the way I was playing for the most part."

Agassi will be going for his sixth title in this tournament, which was in San Francisco when he started but has since moved to San Jose. The tournament runs Feb. 7-13 at HP Pavilion. Agassi's first match will be the feature match at 7 p.m. on Feb. 8.

He will also be part of a tribute to promoter MacKay, who has been running the tournament for 36 years, after that match.

"Barry has always been a first-class person and organizer for the tournament," Agassi said. "Being a great player himself (No. 1 in the world in 1960), he knows what players need to be at their best when they're at a tournament, and he always goes the extra mile for the players."

Agassi has had a remarkable career, 15 times finishing in the top 10. His 59 singles titles are the most among active players and seventh all-time.

He has defied the odds of probability in tennis with his lengthy career, most of it at or near the top. The rule of thumb in tennis is that players can last in that rarefied atmosphere for no more than 10 years, but Agassi is still going strong 19 years after he burst onto the tennis scene as a teenage phenom.

There have been serious bumps in the road since then. He briefly thought of retiring in 1987, when he couldn't get higher than 90 in the rankings. He had a serious wrist injury which required surgery in December 1993.

But nothing has deterred him and, at 34, he is still going strong, though he is taking it one year at a time now. "I'm committed to playing a full year this year," he said. "We'll see after that."

In his early years, Agassi didn't worry much about conditioning, but in the second phase of his career, he has worked very hard on that. Now, observers have said, he is in the best shape of his career.

Still, the biggest part of the battle is mental. Most top players retire because they've had enough. Agassi's wife, Steffi Graf, was an even more accomplished player than Andre, winning 22 Grand Slam titles, but Agassi's attempt to coax her back on the court for mixed doubles at Wimbledon has proved futile.

The flame still burns bright for Agassi, though. Asked if he would retire if he won another Grand Slam, he said, "I think that would just be more motivation for me to keep going.

"It is a big challenge. I think the ability to keep going is a function of both the physical and the mental. I mean, you need your body to be healthy, but you also need that eagerness and discipline of pushing yourself through a lot of days where you, quite frankly, are tired, you're just tired of doing it, you're tired of what you know is in store for you.

"I've never been one to choose the easy road. So, I find that the difficulty in it has to become the motivating factor, the challenge in it has to be what pushes you and motivates you."

Better put the retirement party and gold watch on hold.

E-mail Glenn Dickey at gdickey@sfchronicle.com.
Old 01-31-2005, 04:36 AM   #3
country flag martinaHforever

martinaHforever has a reputation beyond reputemartinaHforever has a reputation beyond reputemartinaHforever has a reputation beyond reputemartinaHforever has a reputation beyond reputemartinaHforever has a reputation beyond reputemartinaHforever has a reputation beyond reputemartinaHforever has a reputation beyond reputemartinaHforever has a reputation beyond reputemartinaHforever has a reputation beyond reputemartinaHforever has a reputation beyond reputemartinaHforever has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds very promising
martinaHforever is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 01:05 AM   #4
country flag Gigan

Andre will learn from his last match and will try to improve!
(Please Andre, do improve...)
Yes, serve is the weakest weapon in his arsenal.

What is strange to me that Andre could do only one ace in the QF match vs. federer???! Kind of psychological problem?!
In the match vs. swedish guy Andre did perfect serving and made 16 aces (of course pim-pim did little bit more, he-he). But 16 aces vs federer coud be
enough to make a nice win...

Mike Agassi (Andre's father) telling us in all his interviews about weak serve of his son...
Why Andre does not pay enough atention to that relatively simple tennis "trick"?
Somebody is explaining that maybe Andre is not enough high for good serving.
It is not true.. Many players are shorter but can do very nice serving.
Let Andre will learn from his Armenian friend, Sargsian. They do often joint trainings... For Sarge 16-20 and more aces per game - is very normal thing...

Go Andre! Show to your fans that you are still great fighter!
We will always support you!

Old 02-01-2005, 01:21 AM   #5
country flag Gigan

You could support Andre little bit too!

Vote here, fans!

http://www.sapopentennis.com/poll/index.asp

Old 02-01-2005, 08:16 AM   #6
country flag martinaHforever

martinaHforever has a reputation beyond reputemartinaHforever has a reputation beyond reputemartinaHforever has a reputation beyond reputemartinaHforever has a reputation beyond reputemartinaHforever has a reputation beyond reputemartinaHforever has a reputation beyond reputemartinaHforever has a reputation beyond reputemartinaHforever has a reputation beyond reputemartinaHforever has a reputation beyond reputemartinaHforever has a reputation beyond reputemartinaHforever has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigan
Andre will learn from his last match and will try to improve!
(Please Andre, do improve...)
Yes, serve is the weakest weapon in his arsenal.

What is strange to me that Andre could do only one ace in the QF match vs. federer???! Kind of psychological problem?!
In the match vs. swedish guy Andre did perfect serving and made 16 aces (of course pim-pim did little bit more, he-he). But 16 aces vs federer coud be
enough to make a nice win...

Mike Agassi (Andre's father) telling us in all his interviews about weak serve of his son...
Why Andre does not pay enough atention to that relatively simple tennis "trick"?
Somebody is explaining that maybe Andre is not enough high for good serving.
It is not true.. Many players are shorter but can do very nice serving.
Let Andre will learn from his Armenian friend, Sargsian. They do often joint trainings... For Sarge 16-20 and more aces per game - is very normal thing...

Go Andre! Show to your fans that you are still great fighter!
We will always support you!

Nice post, great points.

Andre is such a complex player! Thats what I will miss the most when he retires, the uniqueness of his game.

btw, remember when Hewitt won Wimbledon? He had the EASIEST draw ever! Why can't Dre get that kind of draw???
martinaHforever is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 11:36 AM   #7
country flag Gigan

Local - San Jose Mercury News

Agassi not ready to quit

41 minutes ago Local - San Jose Mercury News

By Darren Sabedra, Mercury News

Andre Agassi hasn't won a Grand Slam trophy, or even reached a Grand Slam final, since winning the Australian Open (news - web sites) two years ago. He has endured injuries, is no longer the favorite at major events and last week was routed in straight sets by top-ranked Roger Federer in an Australian Open quarterfinal.

But Agassi, 34, isn't ready for retirement.

After 19 years on tour, 59 titles and countless trips around the globe, tennis' elder statesman is committed to playing until the end of 2005.

Then, who knows?
Old 02-01-2005, 11:39 AM   #8
country flag Gigan

Posted on Tue, Feb. 01, 2005

found complete story...

Agassi not ready to quit

BUT AGING CHAMP COULD BE IN HIS LAST YEAR OF TENNIS

By Darren Sabedra

Mercury News

Andre Agassi hasn't won a Grand Slam trophy, or even reached a Grand Slam final, since winning the Australian Open two years ago. He has endured injuries, is no longer the favorite at major events and last week was routed in straight sets by top-ranked Roger Federer in an Australian Open quarterfinal.

But Agassi, 34, isn't ready for retirement.

After 19 years on tour, 59 titles and countless trips around the globe, tennis' elder statesman is committed to playing until the end of 2005.

Then, who knows?

``I get asked this question a lot, obviously,'' said Agassi, who returns to San Jose next week to play in the SAP Open. ``The simple answer is: I don't know. I don't know how long I will or can do it. I want to be out on the court feeling like I can win, so that is certainly the goal and the preference.''

But is that goal reachable?

In a sport that treats 30-somethings like old shoes, Agassi not only has to contend with Federer, but also players such as newly crowned Australian Open champion Marat Safin and top-ranked American Andy Roddick.

Agassi, ranked 10th, isn't reading much into his Australian Open exit. He suffered a hip injury leading up to the tournament and played well before running into Federer, whose 26-match winning streak ended a round later against Safin.

``It was a disappointing end to the tournament,'' Agassi said. ``But considering how I felt going into it, where I had a bit of a curve thrown at me with an injury, I felt like I regrouped and gave myself a chance to be at my best.''

After the Federer match, Gil Reyes, Agassi's longtime trainer, was asked about his client's future.

``We talk about retirement a lot,'' Reyes told the Los Angeles Times. ``We just have not made a plan to retire. The level of his game is still way up there. He may not be in a class by himself, but it sure doesn't take long to take roll.''

Not letting up

Agassi won't walk away without a fight. Though one of the fittest players on tour, he tweaked his diet and training in hopes that 2005 will be a good year.

``I did train hard,'' said Agassi, who finished in the top 10 for the 15th time in 2004 and has won more titles than any other active player. ``Getting the matches in is going to be key for me this year; being able to be out there more and getting in those big situations where I'm letting my game come out at the right time is going to be what I need to get some good things accomplished.''

Agassi is still capable of winning big matches, says Barry MacKay, SAP Open tournament consultant and a former player.

``But I do think that if he doesn't win a major tournament this year or a series of events, I can't see him sticking around being ranked eight or 10 in the world,'' MacKay said. ``It's just not his style.

``A lot depends on the draw. For instance, if somehow he had ended up playing Safin instead of Federer, I think he would have won that match. A lot depends on the breaks of the draw, but I think he can win another major.''

If Agassi wins a ninth Grand Slam, the person he'll probably thank first will be wife and tennis legend Steffi Graf.

Asked how he juggles playing, marriage and being the father of children 3 and 1, Agassi said: ``If you choose your wife right, you don't juggle her. She helps you juggle everything else. She's been a godsend for me. My choice to leave home and be away from the family, I think I would find myself struggling with continuing.

``But I haven't had to make that choice, because of her support. I've got a lot of great people around me, with all my responsibilities, my foundation and businesses.''

Last standing

So Agassi keeps playing, extending a career that dates back so far that he remembers being an intimidated guest of Johnny Carson on ``The Tonight Show'' in the late 1980s.

In those years, Agassi was part of American tennis' new generation, a Big Four that included Pete Sampras, Michael Chang and Jim Courier. How many expected Agassi to be the last standing?

``He would have been about third on the list,'' MacKay said, laughing. ``It's kind of unique that he's come out of that pack and done as well as he has.''

How has he done it?

``The best word I can think of is discipline,'' MacKay said. ``He's worked extremely hard on staying fit. He's probably the best competitor of all those guys when you analyze, playing big points.''

Next Tuesday, Agassi will begin his quest for a sixth title at the tour's Bay Area stop. It will mark his 13th appearance in the tournament.

Will there be a 14th?

``It gets tougher as you get older, especially with the negotiation of a life that involves children and responsibilities,'' Agassi said. ``But I do feel motivated by the challenge as much now as I ever have. I'm very interested to see how I respond to this stage in my career.''

Old 02-02-2005, 03:15 PM   #9
country flag Gigan

Agassi just can't say enough about Federer
January 27, 2005

Melbourne - Andre Agassi has praised Roger Federer's innate ability to make the court look smaller after his astonishing demolition of the four-times Australian Open winner yesterday.

The world number one, bidding for his third straight Grand Slam triumph, crushed eighth-seeded Agassi 6-3, 6-4, 6-4 in their quarter-final in 1hr 39min to stretch his unbeaten match streak to 26, going back to last August.

Agassi had been expected to extend the Swiss top seed on the strength of some impressive earlier round victories, but on the night he was simply overrun.

The 34-year-old eight-time Grand Slam champion has confronted plenty of challenges over the net in his time, but he marvels at what the 23-year-old Swiss maestro can do on the tennis court.

"He's got anticipation, but it's more about his ability to make a court a lot smaller," Agassi said before leaving for home today.

"Because he can cover so well to the forehand, it really allows him to stay at home in the backhand corner.

"So that backhand corner gets smaller and smaller, and he sort of dares you to hit it to that forehand.

"There's a lot of times you do and you're thinking that's a good idea, then a second later you're going, 'Why did I do that?'"

Agassi is reluctant to compare him with the modern-day greats of the game, but said Federer is an outstanding player.

"The expectation for him to be one of the greats is certainly understandable," Agassi said.

"He does everything well and a lot of things great. His movement is probably the most underrated part of his game, and that's right up there with the best of them.

"His forehand is one of the biggest. His serve is very accurate, great hold game, gets a lot of balls back in the court in return games, puts pressure on you, plays with versatility, comes in, slice, high topspins and drives through the court. So there's a lot he does out there."

Asked what his advice would be to Federer's remaining opponents at the Australian Open, Agassi said: "I would suggest that his next opponents don't look to me for advice. That would be my advice."

Agassi revealed that when he shook hands with Federer at the net, he told the Swiss ace, "too good and good luck."

"He just said he enjoyed playing against me and hopes that happens more. I said, 'That makes one of us.'" - Sapa-AFP

Old 02-03-2005, 01:05 AM   #10
country flag Gigan

Private tennis less with Andre? Please, for $20.000,-

'Shine On Miami' Generates Nearly $2-Million Glow

2/2/2005

Star-Studded Weekend Benefits Cystic Fibrosis Foundation and United Way

MIAMI, Feb 02, 2005 /PRNewswire-FirstCall via COMTEX/ --
Last week's second annual "Shine On Miami" fundraiser organized by Celebrity Cruises and Royal Caribbean International to raise funds for the Cystic Fibrosis Foundatio
n (CFF) and United Way of Miami-Dade, shone brightly on its two beneficiaries, generating $1.9 million during the three-day event.

The funds generated by the January 21-23 weekend of fishing and golf tournaments -- nearly twice the amount raised in its first year -- capped by a posh gala evening held onboard Celebrity Cruises' top-rated Summit, will be divided equally between the two charitable organizations.

Generating top bids at the live auction led by Royal Caribbean and Celebrity President and COO Jack Williams Saturday night included dinner for 10 created by celebrity chef Emeril Lagasse, who will be joined by Miami Heat's Shaquille O'Neal ($40,000); famed romantic balladeer Michael Bolton will sing three songs in the winning bidder's home ($21,000); a consignment piece by noted contemporary artist Romero Britto ($21,000); an original Marc Chagall painting ($20,000), and a private tennis lesson and lunch with acclaimed tennis star Andre Agassi ($20,000). Meanwhile, activity in Summit's "Fortunes Casino" raised no small fortune ($39,500).

Complete story:
http://www.stockhouse.com/news/news....newsid=2629224