Mobile phone thread - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Which smartphone is the best right now?

Samsung Galaxy S4 15 51.72%
iPhone 5 6 20.69%
Sony Xperia Z 1 3.45%
HTC One 4 13.79%
Windows phone 3 10.34%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-06-2013, 10:04 AM   #1
country flag Topspindoctor
Banned!

Topspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond repute
Default Mobile phone thread

So, I am thinking it's time to upgrade my phone. After my Galaxy S2 stopped charging, I decided it's time for a change. Question is which phone should I get next. Now, I am no fanboy and hold no loyalties to any particular company, but recently iPhone 5 has captured my interest due to 4 inch screen, which I prefer since I use my phone with one hand and like to carry it in my pocket. The latest smartphones seem to be surfboard size and seem like mini notebooks to me. However, I do like the customization the android offers. Sadly, they don't seem to offer anything below 4.5 inch screens.

So far I have few options and I am thus far unsold on what phone I should acquire. The mindless sales drones in stores are of no help: they all recommend the iPhone. I have a few choices on the table, which I have included in the poll, but so far I have not made up my mind. Input from people owning one of the mentioned devices would be welcome.
Topspindoctor is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2013, 10:18 AM   #2
country flag Federer in 2

Federer in 2 has a reputation beyond reputeFederer in 2 has a reputation beyond reputeFederer in 2 has a reputation beyond reputeFederer in 2 has a reputation beyond reputeFederer in 2 has a reputation beyond reputeFederer in 2 has a reputation beyond reputeFederer in 2 has a reputation beyond reputeFederer in 2 has a reputation beyond reputeFederer in 2 has a reputation beyond reputeFederer in 2 has a reputation beyond reputeFederer in 2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mobile phone thread

I'm no expert, but I would strongly recommend the iPhone.

-I have the iPhone 4, and I could not be more satisfied. Lives up to any compliments you hear about it.
-AppStore is richer than any other application source. I use a bunch of sports, navigation and entertainment apps. Most of them you will find on the Android market as well, but probably not all of them.
-It's elegant. I dunno how much it means to you, but for me a phone is more fun to use when the interface is well designed.
-Works smoother than anything else. You've probably heard about the Galaxy having a faster CPU and loading apps about 0.1 seconds quicker, but that's all bullshit. At the end of the day, the majority of applications (especially high quality ones) will work better and smoother on the iPhone.
-Battery life is not perfect, but still better than what the Galaxy has from what I hear.

Of course a lot depends on how comfortable you are with using iTunes for file management, and on whether or not you plan to jailbreak you iPhone.

Ask questions if you got any.

ROGER FEDERER

'Roger Federer is the best ever' - Everyone else other than John McEnroe

4 AO - 1 RG - 7 W - 5 USO

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadalfan2013 View Post
Standing ovation for Nadal.
Quote:
Standing ovation for Federer. Disgusting.
#NoBiasTho
Federer in 2 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:33 AM   #3
Banned!

Topspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, the benchmark tests are all bullshit and numbers. I know the iPhone can easily match or even outperform the latest droid phones in "real life" situations because ios is optimized for that particular phone. In fact, I played around with various phones and iPhone 5 is the only phone I couldn't lag. Even galaxy 4 lags when you scroll through certain webpages quickly. It's slight, but it's there. Design is important to me. My biggest beef with Samsung is the cheap plastic feel of the phone, despite the serious hardware it packs. HTC One has amazing design, but I heard negative comments about the quality of the phone and the company itself. My main issue with iPhone is having to sync everything with iTunes. Is this going to be a problem if I watch movies or listen to music which was not acquired from app store?
Old 05-06-2013, 10:50 AM   #4
country flag leng jai

leng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond repute

HTC One...once Hardly Normal gets some stock.

TOMMY HASS
0 slams () and 0 finals
0 consecutive weeks at world no. 1
0 consecutive Laureus World Sports Awards
0 times qualified for YEC
3-13 H2H against Rogi Featherer
0-5 H2H against Rafito Nadal
Career low ranking: 1,241 (26.06.1995)
0 fake mullets flaunted in Roland Garros finals.
1 first name in common with Tommy Robredo
leng jai is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 11:16 AM   #5
country flag RIboy

RIboy has a reputation beyond reputeRIboy has a reputation beyond reputeRIboy has a reputation beyond reputeRIboy has a reputation beyond reputeRIboy has a reputation beyond reputeRIboy has a reputation beyond reputeRIboy has a reputation beyond reputeRIboy has a reputation beyond reputeRIboy has a reputation beyond reputeRIboy has a reputation beyond reputeRIboy has a reputation beyond repute

S4, HTC One >>>>> Ishit; all day long

hope this helps
RIboy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 11:34 AM   #6
country flag atennisfan

atennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond repute

According to CNET reviews and comparison, its S4
People need to wake up. Olderer is not winning anymore slams - neither is he going to become #1.
atennisfan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 11:49 AM   #7
country flag leng jai

leng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond repute

Raw specs goes to the S4. Too bad it's still plastic and reusing the same terrible form factor. The HTC One is very close power wise and in another stratosphere in aesthetics. The speakers seem to be a massive improvement too. Anything that doesn't distort past 70% volume and sound tinny as fuck is a plus for me.

TOMMY HASS
0 slams () and 0 finals
0 consecutive weeks at world no. 1
0 consecutive Laureus World Sports Awards
0 times qualified for YEC
3-13 H2H against Rogi Featherer
0-5 H2H against Rafito Nadal
Career low ranking: 1,241 (26.06.1995)
0 fake mullets flaunted in Roland Garros finals.
1 first name in common with Tommy Robredo
leng jai is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 02:50 PM   #8
country flag pray-for-palestine-and-israel

pray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond repute

Samsung always have the best spec.

The htc one camera will give you the truest colours, s4 (and all Sammys with oled tech) over saturate o. Their screens, you never get a true white

Also low light shots are the best one the one.

I'm skipping this gen because I've got the older htc one x and I honestly I'm very happy with what I have.

My brother has an iPhone 5, I used to have the 4s, I was very unimpressed by the 5 which is why I didn't get one, there is very little difference,

The wife has a Samsung s2, in my opinion it's still a great phone, the newer phones are too big. There's nothing on them to justify an upgrade.

For looks, the iPhone looks best but the htc one looks classy too. The Samsung looks like cheap plastic crap
Old 05-06-2013, 03:12 PM   #9
country flag emotion
Racquet smash enthusiast

emotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond repute

I have a S II, my mother has a S III, my SO has an iPhone 5, my friend has a Nokia Windows Phone. Personally, I'd pick the iPhone, then jailbreak it, the Samsungs have let us down and initial quality quickly fades, Android phones as a rule do not age well

i'd prefer an iPhone 5, but all my carrier has is Samsung So I'll be getting an S4

Robredo, Matosevic, Dolgopolov, Janowicz, Hanescu, Kukushkin, Gulbis, Rosol, Bozoljac, Gabashvili, Hernych, Starace, Stakhovsky, Brown, Zeballos, Herbert, Istomin, Kohlschreiber, Tursunov, Robert, Monaco, Djokovic, Gonzalez

Last edited by emotion : 05-06-2013 at 03:23 PM.
emotion is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 11:27 PM   #10
Banned!

Went with the iPhone 5 32Gb black. Loving it so far. Just fits into my hand, amazing screen quality and great design.
Old 05-07-2013, 04:42 AM   #11
country flag Federer in 2

Federer in 2 has a reputation beyond reputeFederer in 2 has a reputation beyond reputeFederer in 2 has a reputation beyond reputeFederer in 2 has a reputation beyond reputeFederer in 2 has a reputation beyond reputeFederer in 2 has a reputation beyond reputeFederer in 2 has a reputation beyond reputeFederer in 2 has a reputation beyond reputeFederer in 2 has a reputation beyond reputeFederer in 2 has a reputation beyond reputeFederer in 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Good decision.

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App

ROGER FEDERER

'Roger Federer is the best ever' - Everyone else other than John McEnroe

4 AO - 1 RG - 7 W - 5 USO

Quote:
Standing ovation for Nadal.
Quote:
Standing ovation for Federer. Disgusting.
#NoBiasTho
Federer in 2 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 03:31 PM   #12
country flag Certinfy

Certinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond repute

Am interested to see what the new Nexus phone will turn out like.

Currently still using an iPhone 4S and the stock version of iOS is a fucking piece of crap, jailbroken they're alright though, only reason I still have it. Would definitely recommend anyone not happy with an iPhone to jailbreak.

Windows Phone 8 is something I'll avoid if interested in apps. Had a Lumia 920 for a few months and it was nice, but the lack of apps was very disappointing, didn't take long before I didn't even touch the phone.
Originally Posted by Saberq View Post
if he loses this I will support Murray
Certinfy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 03:52 PM   #13
country flag PedroMarquess

PedroMarquess has a reputation beyond reputePedroMarquess has a reputation beyond reputePedroMarquess has a reputation beyond reputePedroMarquess has a reputation beyond reputePedroMarquess has a reputation beyond reputePedroMarquess has a reputation beyond reputePedroMarquess has a reputation beyond reputePedroMarquess has a reputation beyond reputePedroMarquess has a reputation beyond reputePedroMarquess has a reputation beyond reputePedroMarquess has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspindoctor View Post
Went with the iPhone 5 32Gb black. Loving it so far. Just fits into my hand, amazing screen quality and great design.
That's fine, great phone

But...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspindoctor View Post
I am using SGS2 and I am 100% satisfied with it. Best phone ever. Won't be getting S3 because I am not nerdy enough Apple fangirls and their walled garden OS can gtfo, btw. Worst company ever.
PedroMarquess is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 03:56 PM   #14
country flag Certinfy

Certinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMarquess View Post
That's fine, great phone

But...

What the fuck?
Originally Posted by Saberq View Post
if he loses this I will support Murray
Certinfy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 04:04 PM   #15
country flag PedroMarquess

PedroMarquess has a reputation beyond reputePedroMarquess has a reputation beyond reputePedroMarquess has a reputation beyond reputePedroMarquess has a reputation beyond reputePedroMarquess has a reputation beyond reputePedroMarquess has a reputation beyond reputePedroMarquess has a reputation beyond reputePedroMarquess has a reputation beyond reputePedroMarquess has a reputation beyond reputePedroMarquess has a reputation beyond reputePedroMarquess has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Certinfy View Post
What the fuck?
You made a thread some time ago about mobile phones, this gem was there.
PedroMarquess is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote