is murray the favourite for wimbledon - Page 4 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: murrays result at wimbledon

win the title 18 29.51%
loose to either federer or nadal 43 70.49%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-05-2013, 07:39 PM   #46
country flag Han Solo

Han Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: is murray the favourite for wimbledon

I would place Murray behind Djokovic - regardless his perceived problems on grass he has proved he can win this tournament beating a very good grass court player in the final. Djokovic is the best player in the world at the moment too. And after Monte Carlo should be full of beans; that could change of course in the intervening two months.

I would place Murray behind Nadal. Nadal is a multi-Wimbledon finalist, two-time winner, and all-round better player than Murray (sorry, Murray fans). Despite the improvements to Murray's game, particularly the extra bite on his forehand, he has yet to show he is able to outplay Nadal yet on anything approaching a regular basis: of course, they haven't played since Nadal's injury and Murray's improvements, so I would be happy to revise this opinion after seeing them play a couple of times.

I would place Murray and Federer about level at this stage. Clearly Federer is past his best, and Murray has improved, but last time they played at Wimbledon, Federer showed he could raise his game when it mattered. Federer has seven titles to Murray's none, Federer is overall a better grass-court player. If he can get his serve working, and not be bullied on those second-serves by Murray, I fancy him to win again should they play. But that's a big IF.
Han Solo is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2013, 07:57 PM   #47
country flag Kowchi

Kowchi has a reputation beyond reputeKowchi has a reputation beyond reputeKowchi has a reputation beyond reputeKowchi has a reputation beyond reputeKowchi has a reputation beyond reputeKowchi has a reputation beyond reputeKowchi has a reputation beyond reputeKowchi has a reputation beyond reputeKowchi has a reputation beyond reputeKowchi has a reputation beyond reputeKowchi has a reputation beyond repute

Honestly it all depends on the health of Nadal and Federer. If Nadal has issues like before then he may not be able to maintain the five setters against Djoko or Murray or maybe even Fed. The same goes for Fed. If his supposed back is hurting him he will obviously struggle and not be able to maintain his all court game and or succeed at Wimbledon. If everyone is healthy........ all I know is that tennis will win Wimbledon

Why? Because I love tennis plain and simple

* Slams Do Not Exist!

Lenders: One thing people need to understand about this so-called weak era is that it was 'weak' for Federer on HC and grass and for Nadal on clay (Federer on clay too Nadal apart) because they were so much better than anyone else, for any outsider the era couldn't possibly be any harder, during 5+ years you had to either beat the best grass/HC player ever or the best clay player ever in every single Slam just to get 1 Slam title.
Kowchi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 08:25 PM   #48
country flag Fujee

Fujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond repute

Wimbledon is the most interesting slam in terms of all 4's potential to win it. Id say they are nearly all equal odds.
Genius is not replicable. Inspiration, though, is contagious, and multiform — and even just to see, close up, power and aggression made vulnerable to beauty is to feel inspired and (in a fleeting, mortal way) reconciled.

David Foster Wallace
Fujee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 08:44 PM   #49
country flag Allez

Allez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond repute

The only player he is not favoured to beat is Nadal. Federer cannot play better than he did last year what with his injury/ age and all but Murray (who might have won the match if it had been completely outdoors a la the GM match)can and will. Not sure why people keep hyping Federer up after the season he's had so far...indeed after the results he's posted since winning Cincy last year . Love Federer but come on. The guy is on his last legs.Give him a break.

Murray's game is much more suited to grass than Nole. If they meet Murray slays pure and simple. Nadal is another beast altogether. I'm afraid unless suffering from another injury I just cannot see Murray ever beating Nadal in a GS again, especially if the GS is on natural surfaces. Not happening.
Allez is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 08:50 PM   #50
country flag Moozza

Moozza has a reputation beyond reputeMoozza has a reputation beyond reputeMoozza has a reputation beyond reputeMoozza has a reputation beyond reputeMoozza has a reputation beyond reputeMoozza has a reputation beyond reputeMoozza has a reputation beyond reputeMoozza has a reputation beyond reputeMoozza has a reputation beyond reputeMoozza has a reputation beyond reputeMoozza has a reputation beyond repute

I would like Murray to win this one and I think he will.

I agree that Nadal is by far his biggest threat but, at the same time, Nadal should be worried about just getting past the second round.

MULTISLAMRAYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!

DISPUTABLE REAL NO.1

SPORTSPERSON OF THE YEAR 2013!!!!
Moozza is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 08:51 PM   #51
country flag Topspindoctor

Topspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond repute

Mandy will lose before SF

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App

True legends of the game

Nadal = GOAT

2004-2007 = Weakest era in tennis
Topspindoctor is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 08:59 PM   #52
country flag miura88

miura88 has a reputation beyond reputemiura88 has a reputation beyond reputemiura88 has a reputation beyond reputemiura88 has a reputation beyond reputemiura88 has a reputation beyond reputemiura88 has a reputation beyond reputemiura88 has a reputation beyond reputemiura88 has a reputation beyond reputemiura88 has a reputation beyond reputemiura88 has a reputation beyond reputemiura88 has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe 2nd or 3rd favourite along with Federer and Nadal. Djokovic is 4th favourite with Tsonga a dark horse in 5th.
Old 05-05-2013, 09:17 PM   #53
country flag rocketassist
Banned!

rocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspindoctor View Post
Mandy will lose before SF

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App
Wishful thinking that one. It's the slam he's least at risk of an upset and he's probably the most upset-proof of the top 4 there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fujee View Post
Wimbledon is the most interesting slam in terms of all 4's potential to win it. Id say they are nearly all equal odds.
Correct. The draw will be fascinating. 5-8 will be important too, for example if Berdych ended up in Fed's quarter, or Tsonga ended up in Nole's (Jo couldn't possibly be as poor as he was in the 2011 semi again) then that could rattle a few cages, and Nadal, while as fearsome as anybody on the mudbath week two surface, remains the most at risk to an on-form opponent in the green, slick early rounds.
rocketassist is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 09:25 PM   #54
country flag ProdigyEng

ProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipolymer View Post
Calm down fanboy. I will say one thing: if Murray reaches the final against Fed or Nadal, I will root for Murray. Only because I want Nole to get closer to their slam tally.
I apologize Mr. Gloryhuntomyer.

But any problem cannot be found?

argument.
ProdigyEng is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 09:48 PM   #55
country flag mark73

mark73 has a reputation beyond reputemark73 has a reputation beyond reputemark73 has a reputation beyond reputemark73 has a reputation beyond reputemark73 has a reputation beyond reputemark73 has a reputation beyond reputemark73 has a reputation beyond reputemark73 has a reputation beyond reputemark73 has a reputation beyond reputemark73 has a reputation beyond reputemark73 has a reputation beyond repute

Seriously a healthy Federer is still the best on grass. Last year he wins Wimbledon and gets to the Olympic final, in a MM version of Wimbledon.
mark73 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 09:56 PM   #56
country flag Alex999

Alex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by miura88 View Post
Maybe 2nd or 3rd favourite along with Federer and Nadal. Djokovic is 4th favourite with Tsonga a dark horse in 5th.
Djokovic '4th favorite', interesting
Alex999 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 10:03 PM   #57
country flag Julián Santiago

Julián Santiago has a reputation beyond reputeJulián Santiago has a reputation beyond reputeJulián Santiago has a reputation beyond reputeJulián Santiago has a reputation beyond reputeJulián Santiago has a reputation beyond reputeJulián Santiago has a reputation beyond reputeJulián Santiago has a reputation beyond reputeJulián Santiago has a reputation beyond reputeJulián Santiago has a reputation beyond reputeJulián Santiago has a reputation beyond reputeJulián Santiago has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy. View Post
Still think Staminaerer can beat Murray on grass after the drubbing Murray dished out to him at the Olympics?

Fed plays Halle to avoid Murray at Queens, FACT!
Federer always played Halle and Murray always played in Queens...

And I would say a Federer-Murray match is 50-50 at this moment if we are talking of an in form Federer.

But it think Djokovic and Nadal could defeat Murray in a GS final. Djokovic is inferior in grass, but in a GS final, I think he could defeat Murray again.
Julián Santiago is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 10:09 PM   #58
country flag Moozza

Moozza has a reputation beyond reputeMoozza has a reputation beyond reputeMoozza has a reputation beyond reputeMoozza has a reputation beyond reputeMoozza has a reputation beyond reputeMoozza has a reputation beyond reputeMoozza has a reputation beyond reputeMoozza has a reputation beyond reputeMoozza has a reputation beyond reputeMoozza has a reputation beyond reputeMoozza has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex999 View Post
Djokovic '4th favorite', interesting
He is the 4th best grass courter out of the big 4.

MULTISLAMRAYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!

DISPUTABLE REAL NO.1

SPORTSPERSON OF THE YEAR 2013!!!!
Moozza is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 10:12 PM   #59
country flag Timot

Timot has a reputation beyond reputeTimot has a reputation beyond reputeTimot has a reputation beyond reputeTimot has a reputation beyond reputeTimot has a reputation beyond reputeTimot has a reputation beyond reputeTimot has a reputation beyond reputeTimot has a reputation beyond reputeTimot has a reputation beyond reputeTimot has a reputation beyond reputeTimot has a reputation beyond repute

He lost all his 3 matches against Nadal on Wimbledon, but if someone takes Rafa down and Fed's not in shape, Andy could take it. Generally though, his loss in final/semi is more probable.
Timot is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 10:13 PM   #60
country flag Alex999

Alex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moozza View Post
He is the 4th best grass courter out of the big 4.
yeah, teach me. Did Murray win Wimbledon, or was it Nole? sorry, getting old here and my memory is not that great.
Alex999 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote