RG: Announces it will seed according to ranking - Page 5 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 05-04-2013, 08:02 PM   #61
country flag Lopez

Lopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: RG: Announces it will seed according to ranking

Good decision, would've been a travesty otherwise. I do agree that they should have a similar formula to Wimbledon to favor claycourters but it should be announced well in advance of the tournament and not as a hasty, temporary response to a situation in the rankings.
lol, who will beat him? Wawrinka? Berdych? Gulbis? Rosol? Federer?

Only Del Potro can take him out before the semis, and he won't. Nadal is winning the AO, bet your house on it.
Somewhere out there, there is a homeless person who once took betting advice from GSMnadal
Lopez is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2013, 08:13 PM   #62
country flag SliceAce

SliceAce has a reputation beyond reputeSliceAce has a reputation beyond reputeSliceAce has a reputation beyond reputeSliceAce has a reputation beyond reputeSliceAce has a reputation beyond reputeSliceAce has a reputation beyond reputeSliceAce has a reputation beyond reputeSliceAce has a reputation beyond reputeSliceAce has a reputation beyond reputeSliceAce has a reputation beyond reputeSliceAce has a reputation beyond repute

I don't understand why this was an issue, why would they fix it openly when they fix it secretly anyway without any outrage? Was this some kind of test to see if they could change the rules in the future for 100% fixed draws, or is Nadull so arrogant that he demands to be openly catered to instead of secretly given slams?
SliceAce is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 09:38 PM   #63
country flag Kyle_Johansen

Kyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond repute

I'm happy with this decision. It means the draw will be much anticipated and very important.
6) Rosewall 7) Agassi 8) Lendl 9) Connors 10) McEnroe
Top 10 favourite all-time list
1) Federer 2) Safin 3) Agassi 4) Sampras 5) Edberg
6) Lendl 7) Haas 8) Hewitt 9) Connors 10) Becker
Kyle_Johansen is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 10:57 PM   #64
country flag Orka_n

Orka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond repute

Now watch Rafa be placed in Ferrer's quarter.
During Nadal vs Kyrgios:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed of Light View Post
Rafa you are my hero I hope I will never live to see the day you start losing matches regularly to mugs like this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed of Light View Post
If Rafa loses today, that's it. I'm done with tennis.
Orka_n is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 11:59 PM   #65
country flag Yolita

Yolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash86 View Post
Nadal likely to be seeded 5. Interview with Gilbert Ysern, Roland Garros director, in L'Equipe today. Via @bluemathilde, he says:

Seems like they'll have to rig the draw instead then, to avoid Djokovic, Federer and Nadal all in the same half! That would be the nightmare scenario - Ferrer and Murray in one half alone would be a travesty!
There's absolutely no evidence to suggest that. Roland Garros is the one slam which has produced random-looking draws over the years. Every statistical analysis done on Grand Slam draws shows Roland Garros as the one with most random-looking draws and with no statistical anomalies.

The fact that they considered changing the seeds shows that they want to do what's right openly, in order to avoid that nightmare scenario... It's a pity they couldn't do it, because it was beig misinterpreted. But there's no reason to suggest they'll rig their draws instead.

I know many people will claim the draw was rigged if it's not to their liking. But I would like to point out that such claims have absolutely no evidence to support them. I know that lack of evidence has never stopped anybody on mtf, but I'm just pointing it out...

Every top 4 player will have a 25% chance of getting Rafa in his quarter and 75% chance of NOT getting Rafa in his quarter.
Old 05-05-2013, 12:05 AM   #66
country flag Yolita

Yolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballbasher101 View Post
Why did they even discuss it . Rules are rules. No one is bigger than the rules.
The ITF rules allow Grand Slam tournament organisers to change the seeds, as long as they take the ATP rankings into account.

The discussion was whether RG organisers should avail themselves of that rule or not. They decided against it. But they could have done it according to the existing ITF rules.
Old 05-05-2013, 12:09 AM   #67
country flag alypen

alypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond repute

That's what I thought. And since the Wimbledon seeding committee adjusts the seedings according to grasscourt abilities every year, I see no reason why RG shouldn't do the same. But yes, announced well in advance. I'm not saying Nadal should have been seeded No. 1, but 5 really isn't a fair reflection.
alypen is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 12:12 AM   #68
country flag Yolita

I just finished reading the thread, and of course, people already suggesting rigged draws.

Please people: check the Roland Garros draws over the years. Roland Garros is not the USO, it's not Wimbledon, it's not the AO... Roland Garros has produced random draws over the years... Just check, please.

I think they made the right decision: but if they think that that will stop people accusing them of fiddling with the draws, they're very wrong.
Old 05-05-2013, 12:13 AM   #69
country flag Looner

Looner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yolita View Post
I just finished reading the thread, and of course, people already suggesting rigged draws.

Please people: check the Roland Garros draws over the years. Roland Garros is not the USO, it's not Wimbledon, it's not the AO... Roland Garros has produced random draws over the years... Just check, please.
As much as I agree with you here, it'd be nice to get first-hand evidence of it this year. Djoko and Fed have been in the same half 2 years in a row and I hope Nadal ends in Djokovic's half (at the very least) to prove our worries wrong. I am not banking on it though.

The "Who plays tennis?" thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
Say what you want about Federer playing Baghdatis and Gonzo in AO finals... But at least he won them
Looner is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 12:17 AM   #70
country flag Johnny Groove
Future ATP Star

Johnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orka_n View Post
Now watch Rafa be placed in Ferrer's quarter.
This was always the plan.
Originally Posted by Nathaliia View Post
What do you like doing on MTF most?
Reading Johnny Groove threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripwires View Post
Johnny blurs the line between grandeur and grandiose
Johnny Groove is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 12:23 AM   #71
country flag star
Blown Out On the Trail

star has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballbasher101 View Post
Why did they even discuss it . Rules are rules. No one is bigger than the rules.
Except Wimbledon.

star is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 12:24 AM   #72
country flag star
Blown Out On the Trail

star has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

I think they made the right decision: but if they think that that will stop people accusing them of fiddling with the draws, they're very wrong.
Nothing stops that -- no matter how often it's explained.
Old 05-05-2013, 12:31 AM   #73
country flag Yolita

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looner View Post
As much as I agree with you here, it'd be nice to get first-hand evidence of it this year. Djoko and Fed have been in the same half 2 years in a row and I hope Nadal ends in Djokovic's half (at the very least) to prove our worries wrong. I am not banking on it though.
3 instances are too few to prove or disprove randomness. It is possible to throw 3 coins in a row and all landing on heads. Novak got the #3 in the summer of 2007. If you see the draws after that:

2008- Novak in Rafa's half
2009- Novak in Roger's half
2010- Novak in Rafa's half
2011- Novak in Roger's half
2012- Novak in Roger's half (But this one shouldn't really count: Novak was #1 and Rafa was #2, it was impossible for Novak to be in Rafa's half).

This is completely random-looking.

But the probability of Novak being drawn in Roger's half and Murray in Nadal's half for 12 times in a row in AO, USO and W is 1/4096. That's small enough to be suspicious. But those are the other 3 slams. Roland Garros never did something like that.

Which is why it is unfair that people start accusing RG of fixing draws based on what the other 3 slams do.
Old 05-05-2013, 12:34 AM   #74
country flag SheepleBuster

SheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash86 View Post
Nadal likely to be seeded 5. Interview with Gilbert Ysern, Roland Garros director, in L'Equipe today. Via @bluemathilde, he says:

Seems like they'll have to rig the draw instead then, to avoid Djokovic, Federer and Nadal all in the same half! That would be the nightmare scenario - Ferrer and Murray in one half alone would be a travesty!
Well, Nadal will be in the final to lose. The fix is in. lol. If Nole does not beat Rafa this year in the final and again loses to some nobody beforehand, then he does not deserve FO

Suarez & Nadal : True Trailblazers in Sports

Arjen Robben ... Soccer's version of ATP's biggest faker!
SheepleBuster is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 12:39 AM   #75
country flag star
Blown Out On the Trail

Quote:
3 instances are too few to prove or disprove randomness. It is possible to throw 3 coins in a row and all landing on heads. Novak got the #3 in the summer of 2007. If you see the draws after that:

2008- Novak in Rafa's half
2009- Novak in Roger's half
2010- Novak in Rafa's half
2011- Novak in Roger's half
2012- Novak in Roger's half (But this one shouldn't really count: Novak was #1 and Rafa was #2, it was impossible for Novak to be in Rafa's half).

It's possible to have it land heads 15 times in a row even.

You can't explain 50/50 chances no matter how much you try.