Whole Foods Vows to Label GMO’s by 2018 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 03-19-2013, 06:03 AM   #1
country flag swisht4u

swisht4u has a reputation beyond reputeswisht4u has a reputation beyond reputeswisht4u has a reputation beyond reputeswisht4u has a reputation beyond reputeswisht4u has a reputation beyond reputeswisht4u has a reputation beyond reputeswisht4u has a reputation beyond reputeswisht4u has a reputation beyond reputeswisht4u has a reputation beyond reputeswisht4u has a reputation beyond reputeswisht4u has a reputation beyond repute
Default Whole Foods Vows to Label GMO’s by 2018

Fullstory

GMO's are genetically modified food.
Big companies don't want you to know what your eating and have stopped bills that require it on food labels.

They try to keep you in the dark about it.

No one knows how these kind of modified foods will react in the body for years.

We should have the option to not have any, but the companies don't want that.

Whole foods is requiring labels and others may follow.

The rest is in the story.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXÈ

Federer

Del Potro

Gulbis

Janowicz
swisht4u is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2013, 09:45 AM   #2
country flag Lopez

Lopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Whole Foods Vows to Label GMO’s by 2018

GMO = good thing, enables us to produce more food with less resources, a thing that we will need when the world population increases
lol, who will beat him? Wawrinka? Berdych? Gulbis? Rosol? Federer?

Only Del Potro can take him out before the semis, and he won't. Nadal is winning the AO, bet your house on it.
Somewhere out there, there is a homeless person who once took betting advice from GSMnadal
Lopez is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 01:25 PM   #3
country flag swisht4u

swisht4u has a reputation beyond reputeswisht4u has a reputation beyond reputeswisht4u has a reputation beyond reputeswisht4u has a reputation beyond reputeswisht4u has a reputation beyond reputeswisht4u has a reputation beyond reputeswisht4u has a reputation beyond reputeswisht4u has a reputation beyond reputeswisht4u has a reputation beyond reputeswisht4u has a reputation beyond reputeswisht4u has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
GMO = good thing, enables us to produce more food with less resources, a thing that we will need when the world population increases
That's what they want you to think. Those big companies want money, they aren't concerned about your health.
They have hidden the negative effects, and that's why they don't want the labels.

Here's a quote from elsewhere:

Quote:
To those who don't think this is good news, or don't know why its good news, GMOs are linked to arterial health deterioration, effect the immune system, possibly increase infertility, retarded brain and body development in animal studies, this comes from certain european studies. In at least one case, a reknown scientists involved in those studies Árpád Pusztai and his entire teams were dismantled & many fired after revealing the negative results.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%81rp%C3%A1d_Pusztai

The more you look the more you'll find the negative results.
This could save many people the negative effects which are happening to them now as I post this.

Federer

Del Potro

Gulbis

Janowicz
Old 03-19-2013, 03:14 PM   #4
country flag MaxPower

MaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond repute

Hilarious.

That doesn't explain a thing. Why would GMOs be dangerous? What is the mechanic that would make it dangerous? how about answering that instead of pseudo-research.

Breeding also genetically modifies but slower. Most plants and farm animals today has have genes so far from their natural "relatives" that it's astounishing and it has taken hundreds of years, in some cases thousands, to breed certain species. Yet we happily eat them.

With true genetic modification you can cheat nature and take a shortcut. What used to take hundreds of generations can be done almost right away.

Is it dangerous? We don't work cells or DNA into our body from anything we eat, instead it's broken down into the basic components, in case of proteins those are the 22 amino acids. Those are then used to synthezise proteins using the bodies own blueprint and not from the things we eat. It's not very complicated to understand that we don't actually take up genes from what we eat.

Quote:
There is broad scientific consensus that food on the market derived from GM crops is safe enough to eat.[3][5][30][31] In 2012, the American Association for the Advancement of Science stated "Foods containing ingredients from genetically modified (GM) crops pose no greater risk than the same foods made from crops modified by conventional plant breeding technique
Instead we should worry about pesticides and the use of antibiotics etc that will lead to severe environmental damage and also resistant bacteria. Much better to have superior GM plants and animals then so we can lower the use of pesticides and medication/vaccinations of animals.
MaxPower is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 05:12 PM   #5
country flag swisht4u

http://www.naturalnews.com/037262_GM...to_debate.html

The dangers of GMO, this isn't up for debate anymore.

Studies have been falsified to hide the facts, this isn't new.

Monsanto has money, a lot of money but they couldn't hide the facts which are still coming out.

Quote:
The evidence keeps emerging, day after day, that GMOs are absolutely and without question unfit for human consumption. France has already launched an investigation that may result in the nation banning GM corn imports. It's already illegal to grow genetically modified crops in France, but the nation still allows GMO imports, meaning France still allows its citizens to be poisoned by imported GM corn grown in America.

The GMO industry, not surprisingly, doesn't want any independent research conducted on GMOs. They don't want long-term feeding trials, and they most certainly do not want studies conducted by scientists they can't control with financial ties.

What they want is to hide GMOs in products by making sure they're not listed on the labels. Hence the biotech industry's opposition to Proposition 37 (www.CArighttoknow.org).

The tactics of the biotech industry are:

• HIDE genetically modified ingredients in foods
• FALSIFY the research to claim GMOs are safe
• MANIPULATE the scientific debate by bribing scientists
• DENY DENY DENY just like Big Tobacco, DDT, thalidomide, Agent Orange and everything else that's been killing us over the last century

Monsanto is now the No. 1 most hated corporation in America. The company's nickname is MonSatan. It is the destructive force behind the lobbying of the USDA, FDA, scientists and politicians that have all betrayed the American people and given in to genetically modified seeds.

These seeds, some of which grow their own toxic pesticides right inside the grain, are a form of chemical brutality against children and adults. This is "child abuse" at its worst. It's an abuse of all humans. It is the most serious crime ever committed against nature and all of humankind.

Learn more: http://www.naturalnews.com/037262_GM...#ixzz2O0TKIIhC

Federer

Del Potro

Gulbis

Janowicz
Old 03-19-2013, 06:27 PM   #6
country flag Lopez

Lopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond repute

Naturalnews does not seem to be the most unbiased source of information...

Only Del Potro can take him out before the semis, and he won't. Nadal is winning the AO, bet your house on it.
Somewhere out there, there is a homeless person who once took betting advice from GSMnadal
Old 03-19-2013, 07:19 PM   #7
country flag Nathaliia

Nathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond repute

in poland plenty of voices against GMO as well, coming from university professors of various backgrounds (hard to post links because it's mainly in videos of press conferences where the language is spoken)

the few voices that were pro-gmo were proved to be connected/sponsored by mosanto

i wouldn't trust.

i want something else to get me through this life....
Nathaliia is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:52 PM   #8
country flag vucina

vucina has a reputation beyond reputevucina has a reputation beyond reputevucina has a reputation beyond reputevucina has a reputation beyond reputevucina has a reputation beyond reputevucina has a reputation beyond reputevucina has a reputation beyond reputevucina has a reputation beyond reputevucina has a reputation beyond reputevucina has a reputation beyond reputevucina has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxPower View Post
Hilarious.

That doesn't explain a thing. Why would GMOs be dangerous? What is the mechanic that would make it dangerous? how about answering that instead of pseudo-research.

Breeding also genetically modifies but slower. Most plants and farm animals today has have genes so far from their natural "relatives" that it's astounishing and it has taken hundreds of years, in some cases thousands, to breed certain species. Yet we happily eat them.

With true genetic modification you can cheat nature and take a shortcut. What used to take hundreds of generations can be done almost right away.

Is it dangerous? We don't work cells or DNA into our body from anything we eat, instead it's broken down into the basic components, in case of proteins those are the 22 amino acids. Those are then used to synthezise proteins using the bodies own blueprint and not from the things we eat. It's not very complicated to understand that we don't actually take up genes from what we eat.

Instead we should worry about pesticides and the use of antibiotics etc that will lead to severe environmental damage and also resistant bacteria. Much better to have superior GM plants and animals then so we can lower the use of pesticides and medication/vaccinations of animals.
Wow, you are so open minded. Congrats. You should try some of those shit burgers. They have what steaks have: proteins, carbohydrates, fats and minerals. It's all the same.

Bon appetit.
vucina is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:16 PM   #9
country flag swisht4u

Quote:
Naturalnews does not seem to be the most unbiased source of information...
You're right a little.
They have no reason to beat their drum for no reason.

I just want people to be aware of these dangers, they can look into it and it will help them or ones they know.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%81rp%C3%A1d_Pusztai

Quote:
In 1995 Árpád Pusztai began research on genetically modified potatoes containing the GNA lectin gene from the snowdrop plant.[2] His group fed rats on raw and cooked genetically modified potatoes, using Desiree Red potatoes as controls. In 1998 Árpád Pusztai said in an interview on a World in Action programme that his group had observed damage to the intestines and immune systems of rats fed the genetically modified potatoes. He also said, "If I had the choice I would certainly not eat it," and that, "I find it's very unfair to use our fellow citizens as guinea pigs
There's more, much more.
Again human lives are being traded for money.

Chickens see other chickens get slaughtered, have a little uproar and flop around.
Then they ignore the situation, humans do the same.

Federer

Del Potro

Gulbis

Janowicz
Old 03-20-2013, 08:04 AM   #10
country flag Kat_YYZ
Registered Fed fan

Kat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
It's great that you think so and want to eat them. Some people disagree and would like to have the option of avoiding them. That's what labeling is about.

There's no reason to deprive people of the opportunity to make choices about what they want to put in their body. Maybe their reasons are silly, but still it's their body and nobody else's business.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:30 AM   #11
country flag Lopez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat_YYZ View Post
It's great that you think so and want to eat them. Some people disagree and would like to have the option of avoiding them. That's what labeling is about.

There's no reason to deprive people of the opportunity to make choices about what they want to put in their body. Maybe their reasons are silly, but still it's their body and nobody else's business.
Yeah sure, not a problem with that (labelling).

What I am concerned about however is that if people shift their demand to organically farmed crops, companies will produce them over regularly farmed ones. This will create problems: firstly, it could slow down the scientific progress we've made in agriculture and it would reduce the amount of food we're being able to produce despite the fact that there are more and more of us. Most of the arguments of the organic movement are based on basically absolutely nothing but emotional arguments.

This man's achievements are now being nullified by this movement in my opinion: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norman_Borlaug

Old 03-20-2013, 10:13 AM   #12
country flag erickmartins
Not exactly average.

erickmartins has a reputation beyond reputeerickmartins has a reputation beyond reputeerickmartins has a reputation beyond reputeerickmartins has a reputation beyond reputeerickmartins has a reputation beyond reputeerickmartins has a reputation beyond reputeerickmartins has a reputation beyond reputeerickmartins has a reputation beyond reputeerickmartins has a reputation beyond reputeerickmartins has a reputation beyond reputeerickmartins has a reputation beyond repute

I'm all in favour of labelling, but I see no problem in theory with consuming GMOs. It might lead to less pesticides and bigger food production, and I don't see how anyone can see that as a bad thing. My biggest concern is more economical than health-related: most of the time the GMOs are sterile and the producers become dependent on some huge corporation.

A point to be analyzed: even if there is unmistakable scientific proof of a certain GMO being nocive to our health, that says absolutely nothing about any other GMO. They are different organisms, being modified in different ways, so it makes absolutely no sense to assume all of them would have the same effect to our organism.

Titles: Astana 2 CH '11, Challenger Tour Finals '11, Kuala Lumpur '12 (w/Dudisela75), Bressuire Futures '13 (w/Marita)

Finals: Fürth CH '11, Orleans CH '11, Petange CH '12, TT Euro '12 (w/Vilnietè)

SF: Australian Open '12, Memphis '12
erickmartins is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 12:50 PM   #13
country flag vucina

vucina has a reputation beyond reputevucina has a reputation beyond reputevucina has a reputation beyond reputevucina has a reputation beyond reputevucina has a reputation beyond reputevucina has a reputation beyond reputevucina has a reputation beyond reputevucina has a reputation beyond reputevucina has a reputation beyond reputevucina has a reputation beyond reputevucina has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Yeah sure, not a problem with that (labelling).

What I am concerned about however is that if people shift their demand to organically farmed crops, companies will produce them over regularly farmed ones. This will create problems: firstly, it could slow down the scientific progress we've made in agriculture and it would reduce the amount of food we're being able to produce despite the fact that there are more and more of us. Most of the arguments of the organic movement are based on basically absolutely nothing but emotional arguments.

This man's achievements are now being nullified by this movement in my opinion: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norman_Borlaug
Emotional arguments? WTF are you talking about?
If we disregard many research findings that say GMOs are bad for our health, there is still the issue of dependance on big corporations for seed. Are you aware what kind of power would that give to those companies and certain governments? If you don't do what they say, no food.
That's totalitarianism worse than Hitler's and Stalin's.
Old 03-20-2013, 02:51 PM   #14
country flag Lopez

Quote:
Originally Posted by vucina View Post
Emotional arguments? WTF are you talking about?
If we disregard many research findings that say GMOs are bad for our health, there is still the issue of dependance on big corporations for seed. Are you aware what kind of power would that give to those companies and certain governments? If you don't do what they say, no food.
That's totalitarianism worse than Hitler's and Stalin's.
I think you will find that those research findings will not stand to scientific scrutiny. I'm eager to be proven wrong though.

But my point was not about the power of corporations, which I don't think is a big issue anyway. Governments have farming subsidies for that specific reason and I doubt that even Monsanto could resist a military occupation of its plants or farms if it came down to it.

Anyway, my point about the emotional arguments was exactly that: organic is claimed to be "more natural" and thus better for us. But these types of arguments just rest on the emotional connections that people have. Much like the anti-nuclear movement.

Old 03-20-2013, 03:06 PM   #15
country flag vucina

Quote:
I think you will find that those research findings will not stand to scientific scrutiny. I'm eager to be proven wrong though.

But my point was not about the power of corporations, which I don't think is a big issue anyway. Governments have farming subsidies for that specific reason and I doubt that even Monsanto could resist a military occupation of its plants or farms if it came down to it.

Anyway, my point about the emotional arguments was exactly that: organic is claimed to be "more natural" and thus better for us. But these types of arguments just rest on the emotional connections that people have. Much like the anti-nuclear movement.
I wasn't talking about America. The US government would want to see Monsanto as the only provider of food on the planet. That would give them the ultimate leverage. I was talking about countries like Serbia. We are pressured right now by America to allow GMOs and to sell our seed producers to Monsanto. How will we force them to sell us seed if they decide they don't want to?
In any case, you can, but you shouldn't be able to forbid people growing their own food and you shouldn't be able to force them to eat laboratory food.