Best Batman villains - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Who is the best of the 3 main Batman villains?

Ra's al Ghul 1 4.76%
The Joker 18 85.71%
Bane 2 9.52%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-29-2013, 06:16 PM   #16
country flag Ben D.

Ben D. has a reputation beyond reputeBen D. has a reputation beyond reputeBen D. has a reputation beyond reputeBen D. has a reputation beyond reputeBen D. has a reputation beyond reputeBen D. has a reputation beyond reputeBen D. has a reputation beyond reputeBen D. has a reputation beyond reputeBen D. has a reputation beyond reputeBen D. has a reputation beyond reputeBen D. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best Batman villains

I don't like the Nolan movies. Batman is not a serious thing. Two-Face from the 90s cartoon was the best villain.

~♠ Gasquetaires ♠~

1 year, 7 weeks as Top 10 and counting
M T F
Mega-Tsonga-Fandom
don't like Tsonga? move along, it's propaganda here.

Ben D. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2013, 06:35 PM   #17
country flag Wing Man Frank
Banned!

Wing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaindewslave View Post
Bane, scary!?
the Scarecrow character is creepy though
His potential for destruction far outweighed any of Nolan's other baddies.
Wing Man Frank is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:47 PM   #18
country flag Unforced Terror

Unforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond repute

I liked Ra's Al Ghul the best. I always like these "wise" kind of characters. Also, his ideas of balance were interesting and not totally random like Joker's.

You should put Scarecrow in the poll. He appeared in all 3 of the Nolan movies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Groove View Post
Nothing wrong with my serve technically
Unforced Terror is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:03 PM   #19
country flag tripwires

tripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaindewslave View Post
the Joker because he is the perfect anti-thesis to Batman

instead of relying on Gadgets and Strength he relies on his cunning and unpredictable traits
Batman is relatively serious, Joker is artsy and flamboyant
Batman would prefer a structured controlled Gotham, Joker wants chaos and appears to have no real goal as far as end or resolution

they contrast each other perfectly

Ra Ghul or whatever it's not a fascinating enough character, he is too one dimensional because we understand too easily his warped reason for revenge
Bane also (depending on film or comic version) is relatively one dimensional or in the case of the film a not directly menacing villain b/c he did not act on his own accord

Joker is just the most interesting villain and the most different from Batman
The twist at the end regarding Bane's motivations really undermined him as a character, I feel. Up to that point, he was the perfect villain - menacing, imposing, ruthless, destructive. Too bad about the twist.

That said, I'd pick him over the Joker, though it's hard to compare because they are both such different and opposite villains. Still, the fight scene in the sewers is the best action scene in the entire trilogy and one of my favourite scenes from any movie of all-time for how raw and how brutal it is (the lack of music also adds to the atmosphere) and you get the sense that Batman has truly met his match, which doesn't quite come across with the Joker.

The Liam Neeson character was a bit boring. Batman Begins wasn't about the antagonists anyway; in fact, I'd say that the biggest antagonist that Batman faced in that film was himself.
"But certain interests of particular people are so important that it would be wrong - morally wrong - for the community to sacrifice those interests just to secure an overall benefit. Political rights mark off and protect these particularly important interests. A political right, we may say, is a trump over the kind of trade-off argument that normally justifies political action." - Ronald Dworkin (RIP)
tripwires is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:15 PM   #20
country flag Nole Rules

Nole Rules has a reputation beyond reputeNole Rules has a reputation beyond reputeNole Rules has a reputation beyond reputeNole Rules has a reputation beyond reputeNole Rules has a reputation beyond reputeNole Rules has a reputation beyond reputeNole Rules has a reputation beyond reputeNole Rules has a reputation beyond reputeNole Rules has a reputation beyond reputeNole Rules has a reputation beyond reputeNole Rules has a reputation beyond repute

Joker easily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex999 View Post
You never know with Djokovic. He is as predictable as Calgary weather.
Nole Rules is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:50 PM   #21
country flag Joolz

Joolz has a reputation beyond reputeJoolz has a reputation beyond reputeJoolz has a reputation beyond reputeJoolz has a reputation beyond reputeJoolz has a reputation beyond reputeJoolz has a reputation beyond reputeJoolz has a reputation beyond reputeJoolz has a reputation beyond reputeJoolz has a reputation beyond reputeJoolz has a reputation beyond reputeJoolz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripwires View Post
The twist at the end regarding Bane's motivations really undermined him as a character, I feel. Up to that point, he was the perfect villain - menacing, imposing, ruthless, destructive. Too bad about the twist.
Depends on what you regard as the perfect villain. For me, Bane was basically another destruction machine. Powerful, yes but still just a very imposing blunt instrument. And the twist at the end only added to that impression.

What makes the Joker so special is Heath Ledger's performance and the absence of a clear agenda. Movie villains usually want something specific, whether it's money or power or revenge and they want it for a specific reason. The Joker is different in that regard. I simply love the scenes where he tells those random stories about how he came by his scars. You expect to be fed the usual simplistic explanation for why he does what he does, why he ended up being the way he is. But there's no explanation, no silly background story. For me, that makes him a great villain.
Joolz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:26 PM   #22
country flag Lopez

Lopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BauerAlmeida View Post
The Joker. Not only in Nolan's movie.

Jack Nicholson's Joker was great too.
Ditto. Jack Nicholson is awesome as well. Tim Burton's Batman movies were pretty great, especially the first one. Shame that many people automatically think just of Nolan when talking about Batman.

Of course, Nolan's trilogy was the one which was consistently good each time and it is a clear trilogy with compelling storytelling.
lol, who will beat him? Wawrinka? Berdych? Gulbis? Rosol? Federer?

Only Del Potro can take him out before the semis, and he won't. Nadal is winning the AO, bet your house on it.
Somewhere out there, there is a homeless person who once took betting advice from GSMnadal
Lopez is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:38 PM   #23
country flag Orka_n

Orka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond repute

Ledger's Joker was spellbinding, stole every scene he was in.

Bane was very quotable as well however, and he was more of a pure badass than Joker which is something I also like.

But as a villain I'd have to go with Joker.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nadalfan2013 View Post
I didn't see the match but I hope Nadal's injury isn't too serious. Get well soon Rafa!
During Nadal vs Kyrgios:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed of Light View Post
If Rafa loses today, that's it. I'm done with tennis.
Orka_n is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:46 PM   #24
country flag OddJob

OddJob has a reputation beyond reputeOddJob has a reputation beyond reputeOddJob has a reputation beyond reputeOddJob has a reputation beyond reputeOddJob has a reputation beyond reputeOddJob has a reputation beyond reputeOddJob has a reputation beyond reputeOddJob has a reputation beyond reputeOddJob has a reputation beyond reputeOddJob has a reputation beyond reputeOddJob has a reputation beyond repute

The Joker for sure. He has to be one of the most frightening villains in the DC universe. Though I'm more of a Catwoman, Poison Ivy, and Clay Face kind of person.
So it is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you will not be imperiled in a hundred battles; if you do not know your enemies but do know yourself, you will win one and lose one; if you do not know your enemies nor yourself, you will be imperiled in every single battle.
OddJob is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 01:18 AM   #25
country flag Johnny Groove
Future ATP Star

Johnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond repute

Some men aren't looking for something tangible, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, bargained, or reasoned with. Some men, just want to watch the world burn.

Alfred, that bandit, in the forest in Burma, did you ever catch him? Yes. How did you do it? We burned the forest to the ground.

Introduce a little anarchy. Upset the established order, and everything becomes chaos. Oh, and you know the thing about chaos? It's fair.

How about a magic trick? I'm going to make this pencil, disappear! *impales henchman in eye with pencil* Look! It's gone! Oh, and by the way, the suit, it wasn't cheap, you oughta know, you bought it!

Aha, oohoo, ahee, aha, ahoo, and I thought my jokes were bad.

Why so serious?

You see madness, as you know, is like gravity. All it takes, is a little push....

I believe, that whatever doesn't kill you, simply makes you stranger.

Well, helloooo, beautiful. You must be Harvey's new squeeze....

Well, it's simple, we, kill the Batman. *mobsters laugh* If its so easy, why haven't you done it already? If you're good at something, never do it for free.

It's not about money, its about sending, a message.

This city deserves a better class of criminal. And I'm gonna give it to them.

Let's put a smile on that face!

Don't talk like one of them, you're not! Even if you'd like to be. To them, you're just a freak, like me. They need you right now. But when they don't, they'll cast you out, like a leper. See, their morals, their code... it's a bad joke. Dropped at the first sign of trouble. They're only as good as the world allows them to be. I'll show you, when the chips are down, these... these civilized people? They'll eat each other. See, I'm not a monster, I'm just ahead of the curve.

I'll bet you read the above quotes in their respective voices.
Originally Posted by Nathaliia View Post
What do you like doing on MTF most?
Reading Johnny Groove threads.

Quote:
Johnny blurs the line between grandeur and grandiose
Johnny Groove is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 01:23 AM   #26
Future ATP Star

Johnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond repute

Bane was also a crazy motherfucker.

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan!

Speak of the devil, and he shall appear...

*as he kicks Batman's ass in the sewer* Peace has cost you your strength! Victory has defeated you!

Home, where I learned the truth about despair, as will you. There's a reason why this prison is the worst hell on earth... Hope. Every man who has ventured here over the centuries has looked up to the light and imagined climbing to freedom. So easy... So simple... And like shipwrecked men turning to sea water from uncontrollable thirst, many have died trying. I learned here that there can be no true despair without hope. So, as I terrorize Gotham, I will feed its people hope to poison their souls. I will let them believe they can survive so that you can watch them clamoring over each other to "stay in the sun." You can watch me torture an entire city and when you have truly understood the depth of your failure, we will fulfill Ra's al Ghul's destiny... We will destroy Gotham and then, when it is done and Gotham is ashes, then you have my permission to die...

This is a stock exchange! There is no money to steal here! Oh yeah? Then why are you all here?

John Daggett: No! You stay here, I'm in charge!
Bane: [puts his hand on Daggett's shoulder] Do you *feel* in charge?
John Daggett: I paid you a small fortune.
Bane: And this gives you *power* over me?
John Daggett: What is this?
Bane: Your money and infrastructure have been important... 'til now!
John Daggett: What are you?
Bane: I'm Gotham's reckoning. Here to end the borrowed time you've all been living on!
John Daggett: You're pure evil!
Bane: I'm *necessary* evil!

Quote:
Old 04-30-2013, 01:24 AM   #27
Future ATP Star

But personally, for me, Ledger's Joker will always be the best. Not only the pure performance, but also what was going on in my life personally during the time that reflected the movie.

Quote:
Old 04-30-2013, 02:05 AM   #28
country flag Mountaindewslave

Mountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

That said, I'd pick him over the Joker, though it's hard to compare because they are both such different and opposite villains. Still, the fight scene in the sewers is the best action scene in the entire trilogy and one of my favourite scenes from any movie of all-time for how raw and how brutal it is (the lack of music also adds to the atmosphere) and you get the sense that Batman has truly met his match, which doesn't quite come across with the Joker.

The Liam Neeson character was a bit boring. Batman Begins wasn't about the antagonists anyway; in fact, I'd say that the biggest antagonist that Batman faced in that film was himself.
I agree that Bane would have been competitive with Joker without the twist, and also totally Batman Begins is about Bruce Waynes struggles with who he is and sort of forgiving and accepting himself and his past

------------------------ <3 Richard Gasquet <3

Rafael Nadal
Mountaindewslave is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 02:07 AM   #29
country flag Mountaindewslave

Mountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joolz View Post
Depends on what you regard as the perfect villain. For me, Bane was basically another destruction machine. Powerful, yes but still just a very imposing blunt instrument. And the twist at the end only added to that impression.

What makes the Joker so special is Heath Ledger's performance and the absence of a clear agenda. Movie villains usually want something specific, whether it's money or power or revenge and they want it for a specific reason. The Joker is different in that regard. I simply love the scenes where he tells those random stories about how he came by his scars. You expect to be fed the usual simplistic explanation for why he does what he does, why he ended up being the way he is. But there's no explanation, no silly background story. For me, that makes him a great villain.
I think while Heath did an amazing job, like truly amazing, the character of the Joker in general in comics and shows and movies generally is just a very powerful and unique one

I think (as others have mentioned) Jack Nicholson's Joker was also fantastic while more theatrical than Ledgers

it's a character that is hard to make un interesting

------------------------ <3 Richard Gasquet <3

Rafael Nadal
Mountaindewslave is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 02:31 AM   #30
country flag Mr. Oracle

Mr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond repute

I luv Bane with his british sensibilities and manners, and they way he inflects words:

"You have my permission to die....but not before we have some TEEEEAAA!!

Unintentionally funny. Luv the guy.

Because, Djokovic, Murray, and Nadal certainly win Roger?

Even David Ferrer? (Roger 14 - 0 David)

Or, Roger loses even before QF? lol

argument.
Mr. Oracle is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote