Ask MTF Mods - Page 9 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 05-24-2013, 07:03 PM   #121
country flag motorhead
Banned!

motorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ask MTF Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingLamb View Post
By emailing mtfappealmoderator@gmail.com

Before that the email was askmtfmods@gmail.com

This and other information about the rules can be found here (see post #2).
I know about that. My point is you only get to know the reasoning for a ban once it expires and you are ablo to read the PM from a mod.
of course you get to know the short reasoning behind it reading the announcements section while unlogged, but to be able to discuss it deeply the possibility to read PMs would be of help under some circumstances and controversial cases (i.e. harrassment).
motorhead is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2013, 08:22 PM   #122
country flag RagingLamb
Motherhater

RagingLamb has a reputation beyond reputeRagingLamb has a reputation beyond reputeRagingLamb has a reputation beyond reputeRagingLamb has a reputation beyond reputeRagingLamb has a reputation beyond reputeRagingLamb has a reputation beyond reputeRagingLamb has a reputation beyond reputeRagingLamb has a reputation beyond reputeRagingLamb has a reputation beyond reputeRagingLamb has a reputation beyond reputeRagingLamb has a reputation beyond repute

^You can ask the appeal mod if there are any questions about that.

The appeal mod can see a person's infraction history, as well as every single infraction that's given out. When a post is infracted, a record of the post is recorded in the infraction. So even if the post is later deleted, the mods (including the appeal mod) can see what the post was that lead to the infraction.

Even if the infraction is from a thread or multiple posts, or due to a double account, there is usually evidence of it somewhere, and the appeal mod can either access it or ask one of the other mods to provide it.

Usually the person gets reasons for the ban/infraction. I don't recall there ever being a user who wasn't sure why they were banned. Even if it comes up, it's not too difficult to address for the reasons I mentioned above.
Old 05-24-2013, 09:11 PM   #123
country flag samanosuke

samanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond repute

Is it possible to make appeals to appeal moderator on some older but still active infractions ?
Old 05-24-2013, 09:22 PM   #124
country flag Andreas
Новак Ђоковић

Andreas has a reputation beyond reputeAndreas has a reputation beyond reputeAndreas has a reputation beyond reputeAndreas has a reputation beyond reputeAndreas has a reputation beyond reputeAndreas has a reputation beyond reputeAndreas has a reputation beyond reputeAndreas has a reputation beyond reputeAndreas has a reputation beyond reputeAndreas has a reputation beyond reputeAndreas has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by samanosuke View Post
Is it possible to make appeals to appeal moderator on some older but still active infractions ?
No, it is not.

. . . . . . .
Andreas is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 09:26 PM   #125
country flag samanosuke

samanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond repute

But what if some infractions from times when appeal mod still didn't exist shouldn't have been given. And due to them member serving longer ban than he/she should be serving for next infraction ?
Old 05-24-2013, 09:37 PM   #126
country flag Andreas
Новак Ђоковић

Andreas has a reputation beyond reputeAndreas has a reputation beyond reputeAndreas has a reputation beyond reputeAndreas has a reputation beyond reputeAndreas has a reputation beyond reputeAndreas has a reputation beyond reputeAndreas has a reputation beyond reputeAndreas has a reputation beyond reputeAndreas has a reputation beyond reputeAndreas has a reputation beyond reputeAndreas has a reputation beyond repute

We aren't going to check back on infractions given years and months ago. The appeal moderator will deal with infractions that occur after his appointment. Anyway, I assume you are refering to some of your own infractions; do they really matter now as you aren't going to break the rules again, or am I mistaken here?

. . . . . . .
Andreas is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 09:44 PM   #127
country flag samanosuke

yep, i am talking about one of mine infractions . even if it is almost a year old i can't get over it because i see zillion same or worse posts every day and neither one doesn't get deleted, not to talk about giving infractions to somebody because of it . That's the part which bothering me, not the length of next ban. You know it's the worst feel when everybody isn't the same against the law
Old 05-25-2013, 01:43 PM   #128
Snowwy

Snowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
I know about that. My point is you only get to know the reasoning for a ban once it expires and you are ablo to read the PM from a mod.
of course you get to know the short reasoning behind it reading the announcements section while unlogged, but to be able to discuss it deeply the possibility to read PMs would be of help under some circumstances and controversial cases (i.e. harrassment).
You should be an email sent to the email address that you used when you created your account - if you used your actual email address.
Old 05-25-2013, 03:30 PM   #129
country flag Goldenoldie

Goldenoldie has a reputation beyond reputeGoldenoldie has a reputation beyond reputeGoldenoldie has a reputation beyond reputeGoldenoldie has a reputation beyond reputeGoldenoldie has a reputation beyond reputeGoldenoldie has a reputation beyond reputeGoldenoldie has a reputation beyond reputeGoldenoldie has a reputation beyond reputeGoldenoldie has a reputation beyond reputeGoldenoldie has a reputation beyond reputeGoldenoldie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by samanosuke View Post
yep, i am talking about one of mine infractions . even if it is almost a year old i can't get over it because i see zillion same or worse posts every day and neither one doesn't get deleted, not to talk about giving infractions to somebody because of it . That's the part which bothering me, not the length of next ban. You know it's the worst feel when everybody isn't the same against the law
I don't mind at all, it's what I applied for, but each appeal I have handled has taken between one and two hours of my time.

I have to
1. Obviously read the appeal carefully.
2. Send an acknowledgment
3. Open a new thread in the Mods section of the forum
4. Read a copy of the infraction email
5. Make a preliminary assessment to see whether the appeal makes sense and has some merit.
5a. If I conclude that the appeal is entirely frivolous and designed purely to waste everyone's time, I will dismiss it and advise the poster to this effect. (Fortunately this has not happened yet!) Otherwise
6. Read the relevant part of the thread where the offending post occurs to familiarise myself with the context.
7. Study the poster's infraction history.
8. Make sure that I am up to date with the rule which has allegedly been broken.
9. Ask the mod issuing the infraction any supplementary question which I deem necessary.
9a. If I decide at this stage that I cannot support the appeal, advise the poster with reasons, and post my conclusion in the appeal thread. Otherwise
10. Confirm to the poster that I support his/her appeal.
11. Argue the case on his/her behalf to the best of my ability.
12. On receipt of a final decision from the mods, advise the poster of the outcome and update my statistics.

For your information, samanosuke, the infraction file contains over 2,700 entries since the beginning of 2008. If the mods permitted these to be reviewed and only 2 or 3% took advantage of this permission I would soon be overwhelmed.

Also I must point out that your opinion that another poster has committed the same or a worse offence than you would not be a good ground for an appeal. If you are guilty and get punished it is not relevant whether you think another poster is equally guilty and has not been punished. Use the report button and go on using it.

Having said that, I have no cases pending at the moment, so if you would like me to look at yours on an unofficial basis I would be happy to do so, as long as you accept the fact that any conclusion I come to cannot be acted upon.
Old 05-28-2013, 11:19 PM   #130
country flag Freak3yman84

Freak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond repute

heya banned? What for, and for how long?

Number of Times I've Cried Over Sucking at FITD: All but four

W Samarkand Singles W Charlottesville W Lermontov W ATP Bastad W Bol Fut (w/MathMul) W Cordenons (w/dinkulpus)

Quote:
Originally Posted by @Sweet Cleopatra View Post
I like how you make me appreciate my life by comparing it to yours then I take a deep breath and say: Thank God..
Freak3yman84 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 02:37 AM   #131
Snowwy

Snowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak3yman84 View Post
heya banned? What for, and for how long?
Trolling - 3 days - 22 hours left.
Old 05-30-2013, 08:19 AM   #132
country flag samanosuke

Please could somebody post explanation of baiting and few examples of it ?
Old 05-30-2013, 11:31 AM   #133
Snowwy

Baiting: the intentional posting of inflammatory content to a public Internet discussion group. Baiting is the posting of a provocative or offensive message, known as "flamebait", to a public Internet discussion group, such as a forum, newsgroup or mailing list, with the intent of provoking an angry response (a "flame") or argument over a topic the poster often has no real interest in.

Examples

Discussion of Federer logo

Quote:
Fed's upcoming new logo leaked:

Robredo defeating Sijsling in round 2

Quote:
Most likely Boredo cheated mid way in the 3rd set and Sijsling lost his concentration as a result. What else would explain this lopsided score
Federer defeats Carreno in round 1

Quote:
He almost got twice as many games as Nose in '08 final.
Old 05-30-2013, 11:38 AM   #134
country flag ProdigyEng

ProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond repute

Alright I get the knew rule..

But with that said is it not going to be a little weird having users like heya, TSD, and pusher for life around? Sure, they break rules, but to me they were a valuable part of the forum...

But any problem cannot be found?

argument.
ProdigyEng is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 11:48 AM   #135
Snowwy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy. View Post
Alright I get the knew rule..

But with that said is it not going to be a little weird having users like heya, TSD, and pusher for life around? Sure, they break rules, but to me they were a valuable part of the forum...
They can change I am sure.