Ask MTF Mods - Page 66 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 02-21-2014, 11:32 AM   #976
country flag Pratik

Pratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ask MTF Mods

Has Vertical Sports said anything about the posts disappearing(and the other errors)?
Also have they ever mentioned the reason behind their reluctance to upgrade from this archaic version of vBulletin?
Pratik is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2014, 01:48 PM   #977
country flag Motoflou
Barkeep

Motoflou has a reputation beyond reputeMotoflou has a reputation beyond reputeMotoflou has a reputation beyond reputeMotoflou has a reputation beyond reputeMotoflou has a reputation beyond reputeMotoflou has a reputation beyond reputeMotoflou has a reputation beyond reputeMotoflou has a reputation beyond reputeMotoflou has a reputation beyond reputeMotoflou has a reputation beyond reputeMotoflou has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pratik View Post
Has Vertical Sports said anything about the posts disappearing(and the other errors)?
Also have they ever mentioned the reason behind their reluctance to upgrade from this archaic version of vBulletin?
I wish we had good news. I was checking it out, and mods have been telling VS about the problem for almost a year now. The latest feedback we got from them was about a week ago, and they said "we're still looking into resolving this." And they've been asked about it many, many times.
Motoflou is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 01:52 PM   #978
country flag ProdigyEng

ProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond repute

the company are money grabbers

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App
But any problem cannot be found?

argument.
Quote:
"Janowicz is a little crazy, but off the court very nice and humble." - Jurgen Melzer

http://marekfurjan.blox.pl/2014/11/S...lczy-o-AO.html
^^^ suck it ill informed JJ haters.
ProdigyEng is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 08:25 PM   #979
country flag Pratik

Pratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond repute

Why are threads about a particular users amateur tennis career allowed in GM?

Are these threads allowed only for that one particular user or others too? If some other user becomes "famous" enough on this board, will his/her (say) high school tennis be allowed in GM?

What about club matches that you play with your friend? Are they allowed too for "famous" enough users?

How about discussing your love life in GM? Is that in the appropriate place?
Old 02-21-2014, 08:30 PM   #980
country flag Slasher1985
Rankings Master

Slasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond repute

The thread you are mentioning (probably) refers to an ITF official sanctioned match. Futures qualifiers are official matches, unlike let's say exhibition matches. There is no talk there about anything "amateur", "club tennis" or high school tennis.

The Sunrise event is the USA F7 $10000 Futures event.
Slasher1985 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 08:50 PM   #981
country flag Pratik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slasher1985 View Post
The thread you are mentioning (probably) refers to an ITF official sanctioned match. Futures qualifiers are official matches, unlike let's say exhibition matches. There is no talk there about anything "amateur", "club tennis" or high school tennis.

The Sunrise event is the USA F7 $10000 Futures event.
I was not referring to just that one thread, though that is what prompted me to post here. By 'amateur', I meant someone who does not play tennis for a living, as in, a non-professional player. The reference to club and high school tennis was to make the mods realise the farce that this is(which clearly failed).

There is a Futures forum for futures tennis. It seems that Futures QR1 threads are more welcome in GM than Futures Final threads.

About a week ago, there were two threads in the first page of GM of the same user. And there are two now too. A quick search tells me that there are at least 10 threads on said user in GM in this year(and I believe some of them are below Futures level, so the term amateur tennis applies literally too).

To put things into perspective, during off season, it is not allowed to discuss exhibition matches involving top 10 players in GM, and there are three ATP tournaments going on right now.

Last edited by Pratik : 02-21-2014 at 08:55 PM.
Old 02-21-2014, 09:03 PM   #982
country flag Lee
Gugaholic

Lee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I was not referring to just that one thread, though that is what prompted me to post here. By 'amateur', I meant someone who does not play tennis for a living, as in, a non-professional player. The reference to club and high school tennis was to make the mods realise the farce that this is(which clearly failed).

There is a Futures forum for futures tennis. It seems that Futures QR1 threads are more welcome in GM than Futures Final threads.

About a week ago, there were two threads in the first page of GM of the same user. And there are two now too. A quick search tells me that there are at least 10 threads on said user in GM in this year(and I believe some of them are below Futures level, so the term amateur tennis applies literally too).

To put things into perspective, during off season, it is not allowed to discuss exhibition matches involving top 10 players in GM, and there are three ATP tournaments going on right now.
I believe said member is not an amateur although he can't rely on tennis to make his living. He needs side jobs to sustain as a professional tennis player.
Lee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 09:36 PM   #983
country flag Slasher1985
Rankings Master

Slasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

1. Futures forum is not built to support individual tennis matches.
2. It seems to me like jealousy to start counting the amount of threads a certain player is getting in GM. You are free to complain for whatever reason you may want you, but I'm telling you now that your claim does not fall within the boundaries of forum rules.
3. Please link us to any thread in GM you believe is under Futures level we might have missed.
Slasher1985 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 10:23 PM   #984
country flag Motoflou
Barkeep

Motoflou has a reputation beyond reputeMotoflou has a reputation beyond reputeMotoflou has a reputation beyond reputeMotoflou has a reputation beyond reputeMotoflou has a reputation beyond reputeMotoflou has a reputation beyond reputeMotoflou has a reputation beyond reputeMotoflou has a reputation beyond reputeMotoflou has a reputation beyond reputeMotoflou has a reputation beyond reputeMotoflou has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
About a week ago, there were two threads in the first page of GM of the same user. And there are two now too.
I have to say, I don't understand how this could be such a problem. I mean, it seems pretty harmless to me. If you have a personal problem with the user, that's a shame, but obviously a lot of users are happy about the Johnny Groove match threads. If there were an overwhelming amount of them, that'd be a different story. But as it is, it just seems like entertainment for the GM regulars. It certainly isn't hurting anyone, if it really bothers you, you could simply not go to those threads.

The point is that one of our own is trying to make a tennis career happen. What's the problem in letting everyone have some fun with it?

Last edited by Motoflou : 02-21-2014 at 10:32 PM.
Old 02-21-2014, 10:52 PM   #985
country flag Pratik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slasher1985 View Post
1. Futures forum is not built to support individual tennis matches.
2. It seems to me like jealousy to start counting the amount of threads a certain player is getting in GM. You are free to complain for whatever reason you may want you, but I'm telling you now that your claim does not fall within the boundaries of forum rules.
3. Please link us to any thread in GM you believe is under Futures level we might have missed.
1. So absolutely any thread about a particular Futures QD/MD match will be allowed in GM? Same for challengers(since the challenger forum is built in the same way)?

2. Jealously? Yes, of course. (While talking about tennis) I am jealous of a particular user who has never played a tour level match and not Roger Federer or Rafael Nadal. Makes perfect sense. I pointed out the number of threads because YOU reacted as if I was referring to only one thread.

Forum rules? Sure 'career or the girl' falls under forum rules. It seems there are more posts about that than any actual tennis. But, it has the ruse of a tennis match. I guess that must be enough.

But, I digress. It's not just about that one particular thread. If you want to say that those threads are actually about professional tennis as apposed to a particular users dabbling in it, then every post in that thread should be treated as such. An example, the following should fall under doping allegations without any proof

Quote:
Originally Posted by safin-rules-no.1 View Post
He was probably smoking weed until 4am. At least he'll be relaxed for the match I wonder if he won more than 10 points this time?!
If you say that this about actual tennis and not the user, then you should react to the above post in the same way as if it were directed to an actual professional player.

3. How sly of you. I say that there are non-futures threads in GM. You respond by moving them now and claiming innocence. You mock my use of the term amateur tennis and then covertly move a few threads to the Amateur Tennis subforum. I reported one of those threads back then. Nothing was done till I posted something here. Time and time again mods/admins have mentioned on this thread that posts should be reported rather than pointed out individually on this thread. Yet, (in this case) nothing is done when they are reported, but when mentioned here, action is taken to cover your tracks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoflou View Post
I have to say, I don't understand how this could be such a problem. I mean, it seems pretty harmless to me. If you have a personal problem with the user, that's a shame, but obviously a lot of users are happy about the Johnny Groove match threads. If there were an overwhelming amount of them, that'd be a different story. But as it is, it just seems like entertainment for the GM regulars. It certainly isn't hurting anyone, if it really bothers you, you could simply not go to those threads.

The point is that one of our own is trying to make a tennis career happen. What's the problem in letting everyone have some fun with it?
I have nothing against the user, or those threads. To be honest, I hardly visit GM anymore. My point is on the principle of it. A lot of the other points you make are very dangerous, IMO. Allowing threads for "entertainment for the GM regulars" would allow a lot of more things you(and me) don't want. A lot of bans would become questionable as most users were just doing it for the entertainment of fellow GMers. Similarly, "if it really bothers you, you could simply not go to those threads" could be applied to a LOT of other things.

I'm not saying that these threads should be deleted. Just that they don't belong in GM. As you say, it is about an attempt of a particular user to make a tennis career. It is not about professional tennis.

PS. See my response to Slasher's point 3 above for the part of my post that you quoted.

Last edited by Pratik : 02-21-2014 at 10:57 PM.
Old 02-21-2014, 11:16 PM   #986
country flag Motoflou
Barkeep

The way I see it, we're making an exception for this one thing. Simply because it isn't causing any harm to our forum. If we start constantly going against the rules, then I'd understand your point better. But we very much follow the rules, and we try to keep threads to their designated sub-forum. But like I said, in this particular case, it's just "one of our own trying to make a tennis career, everyone else enjoys it, yadda yadda."

Obviously, GM is where his match threads are going to get noticed, and he is a frequent contributor to GM. But I do understand what you're saying. We won't let wrongly-placed threads become a massive problem. And if there were more users starting personal match threads than just Johnny, we'd certainly have to start dealing with it in a different way. As mods, we have to use our personal discretion about these things. But as it is now, it just doesn't seem like a problem.

Last edited by Motoflou : 02-21-2014 at 11:21 PM.
Old 02-21-2014, 11:26 PM   #987
country flag Pratik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoflou View Post
The way I see it, we're making an exception for this one thing. Simply because it isn't causing any harm to our forum. If we start constantly going against the rules, then I'd understand your point better. But we very much follow the rules, and we try to keep threads to their designated sub-forum. But like I said, in this particular case, it's just "one of our own trying to make a tennis career, everyone else enjoys it, yadda yadda."

Obviously, GM is where his match threads are going to get noticed, and he is a frequent contributor to GM. But I do understand what you're saying. We won't let wrongly-placed threads become a massive problem. And if there were more users starting personal match threads than just Johnny, we'd certainly have to start dealing with it in a different way. As mods, we have to use our personal discretion. But as it is now, it just doesn't seem like a problem.
I can accept this(though I don't entirely agree with it). There are several threads which don't strictly belong in GM, but they are allowed there. That's fine. But, then maybe the number of them could be restricted? We definitely don't need a WWW and results thread for every match he plays(right now it seems to be headed down that path), unless he goes pro.

Last edited by Pratik : 02-21-2014 at 11:32 PM. Reason: typo
Old 02-23-2014, 08:47 AM   #988
country flag Goldenoldie

Goldenoldie has a reputation beyond reputeGoldenoldie has a reputation beyond reputeGoldenoldie has a reputation beyond reputeGoldenoldie has a reputation beyond reputeGoldenoldie has a reputation beyond reputeGoldenoldie has a reputation beyond reputeGoldenoldie has a reputation beyond reputeGoldenoldie has a reputation beyond reputeGoldenoldie has a reputation beyond reputeGoldenoldie has a reputation beyond reputeGoldenoldie has a reputation beyond repute

The most popular poster on MTF banned for alleged harassment?

The farce continues.
Old 02-23-2014, 12:21 PM   #989
country flag Snowwy

Snowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldenoldie View Post

The farce continues.
This is post by you GoldenOldie is a joke though, right?
Old 02-23-2014, 01:02 PM   #990
country flag Sham Kay
Lurrrkin'

Sham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldenoldie View Post

The farce continues.
You can't be pulling for preferential treatment for the popular kids man.. Although I'm pretty sure that still happens at school.. Good times aye.
Sham Kay is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote